Black Caviar

onlytheponely

Visit site
I, for one, think they were very brave to bring her over, regardless of whether I found her connections brash or ebullient. Much more of a reputation at risk when she's already won so many races.
And just for the record, the two french trained horses that chased her down are very good horses. Moonlight Cloud has won Group 1 and G3 races and Restiadargent G2 and G3's. They are well respected over here and gave her a decent race.
I do hope that she recovers well from this and I really can't understand why people have to be so negative about her. For a horse to go out and win as many races as she has without getting sour is an unbelievable achievement in itself. I have followed her racing career and I think she has earned herself a very deserved place in racing history. I just hope that they don't run her into the ground, she doesn't deserve that.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
There's been no anti racing sentiment in this post equilibrium....

And of course everyone's an expert. How do you think the sport is funded......? ;0)

Rollin

Visit site
Not read the thread but love her.

Her trainer said she is not quick but she covers the ground. She did not look to me as if it was any effort for her - smart lady to conserve her energy.

What bone, what backside, what depth of girth.

My sort of horse.

Honeylight

Visit site
I wasn't really putting her down; she is a big coarse sprinter with a sprinter's typical build. I have just seen a posed picture of her & she does look pretty stunning. Sorry Nelly!
Maybe she was off colour today, as on the TV her coat looked a bit dull, but then I suppose swapping hemispheres isn't that good for a lady's looks!

It will be interesting to see what she produces as a brood mare, her pedigree is interesting as she is inbred to Northern Dancer & Silly Season. & Wilkes. I remember one of her ancestors Lunchtime winning the Dewhurst Stakes, he didn't train on but he was a stunning looking horse.

I love racing, but she was too hyped before the race; glad she managed to get her nose in front, she seems a very brave mare.

paulineh

Visit site
She may have won with a short head but I felt that the jockey dropped his hands too early then realised that there was someone coming up beside him. I thought that he should have ridden to the end. If she had been beaten by the same margen the she won what would the trainer have said.

I have seen jockeys in front of the stewards for not riding out a finish.

onlytheponely

Visit site
She may have won with a short head but I felt that the jockey dropped his hands too early then realised that there was someone coming up beside him. I thought that he should have ridden to the end. If she had been beaten by the same margen the she won what would the trainer have said.

I have seen jockeys in front of the stewards for not riding out a finish.

I think he had such faith in this mare that he didn't expect anyone to be 'there' :eek: No excuse for not riding to the line or checking his mirrors though.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Does she have a 'typical' printers physique Honey?

At 16.2 and with such bone she'd be far from typical. Built more like an old fashioned chase surely?

christine48

Visit site
Sounds like she injured herself during the race, maybe that's why the jockey didn't ride the finish. However we've seen a great mare win her 22 nd race after travelling half way round the world so credit where credit is due. Hopefully she'll retire to stud now.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Does she have a 'typical' printers physique Honey?

At 16.2 and with such bone she'd be far from typical. Built more like an old fashioned chase surely?

I thought this . . . lots and lots of bone there . . . big, stonking mare. I'm very curious to see what sort of babies she produces (and obviously who they breed her to).

There's no doubting the mare's ability . . . I hope she is alright after the race. Winning every one of her starts - 22 of them - is a massive achievement . . . I just wish she'd won this one with more style.

Did we clear up - is she sound or was she "not right" . . . ?

P

Flatout

New User
Visit site
I've just registered specifically to reply to this thread. To all those of you who tuned in today and have not seen her run before: that was not the real Black Caviar. Please do watch some of her previous runs on YouTube: you'll see a completely different horse, an effortless cruiser. Then you will understand the hype. I'm in my 50s (sigh) and have followed racing for almost 40 years, and she is the best sprinter I have seen in my lifetime. Agree she did look lame in front of the stands, though. Hoping she is okay!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I've just registered specifically to reply to this thread. To all those of you who tuned in today and have not seen her run before: that was not the real Black Caviar. Please do watch some of her previous runs on YouTube: you'll see a completely different horse, an effortless cruiser. Then you will understand the hype. I'm in my 50s (sigh) and have followed racing for almost 40 years, and she is the best sprinter I have seen in my lifetime. Agree she did look lame in front of the stands, though. Hoping she is okay!

So, as someone who has watched the mare run before and saw a real difference today, what do you think made that difference? The ground? The journey over? Unsoundness issues?

P

paulineh

Visit site
If we really won't to compare them we have to start by looking at age. BC is 2 years older than Frank. Frankel has never been challenged winning all his races by at least 3 lengths ,most of the time a lot more. When I saw him win at Newbury he was hardly blowing.

BC was put under a lot of pressure today and wheather it was jockey error or not , one more stride and she would have been beaten and a couple more and she could have been 3rd.

It is best to retire at the top than being beaten

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think there was an interesting point in the commentary while they were loading and discussing how the mare was so chilled.. comparing her to Frankel and suggesting they are like it because they have never really been super pushed and for them it is just like going for a canter.

As such (although not having seen all her races) perhaps she has never really been in the position of having horses so close near the finish line and bearing down on her and that is a different situ to the ones she has been in before and put her off a bit? Just a pondering.

Flatout

New User
Visit site
So, as someone who has watched the mare run before and saw a real difference today, what do you think made that difference? The ground? The journey over? Unsoundness issues?

P
Well she seemed fine after the journey and watchers who saw her gallop the other day at Newmarket said she was working brilliantly. So I would say maybe the ground, bringing a latent unsoundness to the fore. But I don't know, I was pretty stunned by how flat she ran, except in the first two or three furlongs when she was coasting. Be interested to see what Moody says tomorrow...

cefyl

Visit site
Veni, Vidi, Vinci. SHE came, she saw, she conquered.
We are fortunate to have seen this great mare in our lifetime.
Jockey fell asleep at the wheel but she made it.
By a nose, but she won, on an alien track topography, conditions, and she came from her winter to our summer - in chronobiological terms taking into account jet lag that was a huge lag in the time frame.
Enjoy the moment.
She finished the race in one piece, if they chose to leave after the race and retire her now so be it. They own her, and pay her bills.
She is a GREAT MARE. Enjoy the moment.

typekitty

whateverhappenedtobrooklyn.blogspot.com
Veni, Vidi, Vinci. SHE came, she saw, she conquered.
We are fortunate to have seen this great mare in our lifetime.
Jockey fell asleep at the wheel but she made it.
By a nose, but she won, on an alien track topography, conditions, and she came from her winter to our summer - in chronobiological terms taking into account jet lag that was a huge lag in the time frame.
Enjoy the moment.
She finished the race in one piece, if they chose to leave after the race and retire her now so be it. They own her, and pay her bills.
She is a GREAT MARE. Enjoy the moment.

Haha, worth pointing out that friends of mine in Melb are complaining about how 'cold' their winter has been, at 16 degrees. :p

Flatout

New User
Visit site
I was truly obsessed with racing through the 80's and early 90's. Think it might have been something to do with a certain Steve Cauthen ;)

So you'll remember Slip Anchor leading from start to finish in the 85 Derby then, sailing down Tattenham hill 15 lengths clear (masterful Cauthen timing). Still one of the three most jawdropping individual flat performances I've ever seen, along with Frankel's Guineas and Arazi's Breeders Cup (the best of the lot). Sadly the only footage of Slip Anchor is in Spanish, for some reason!:D

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I was really deflated after that race; I expected so much more from her and so disappointed with her jockey, that he didn't push her out to win in the style we all expected.
I did think she moved like a sewing machine as she trotted down to post and after the race but what a fantastic stride she had once cantering.