Bloody fireworks

dogatemysalad

Visit site
We've had 2 nights off them so far. Fortunately, it's been foggy and soggy, so the sounds have been slightly muffled. Why have they become so loud now ?
However, I had to cool my horse off last night and walked him around the yard in the dark. He wasn't bothered by the fireworks and all the horses seemed settled. YO does extra checks during the nights when it's bad, but has reported no problems so far.
Just wish it was law that restricted fireworks to one night and the manufacturers were not allowed to make super noisy ones.

Pedantic

Visit site
Way past time selling fireworks to the TAS public was banned, dog been upset all night for last 3 nights, it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make such a ridiculous amount of bangs, what with the amount of small appendage brigade having to have a motorbike which can be heard for a mile away, and cars deliberately backfiring all bad enough, we have this crap to deal with every year :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Lurfy

Visit site
They banned fireworks in my state in 2009. I hated them, they caused so much stress in horses and all animals. I still remember the dread leading up to fireworks night. The horses would be covered in sweat from running around and some would sustain injuries. I hope your mare is alright OP. Box rest and fireworks are a frightening combination.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Its been every night since Saturday here and i imagine they'll go on until this Sunday.

Last night was crazy. Really feel for or war veterans, it must be unbearable.

I've worked out that the best place for the ponies is the school. Its enclosed enough that they feel generally safe, but big enough that they can move around if they need to. I tried stabling the girls last year and they were beside themselves, whirling around and running in to the door.

Last night they were ok until some idiot in the village below us set off what were obviously commercial fireworks. The noise was horrendous and the ponies were pretty upset. My little mini shetland was particularly frightened. They calmed down pretty quickly though.

I'm just fed up of standing outside in the cold every night making sure they're OK. Its awful watching them wide eyed in fright and not being able to help them.

Goldenstar

Visit site
There where many more last night than usual here .
I think because the big organised display in the local town was of course not happening lots more people had them in their gardens .
left the horses they are in fields with no electric fences running across them atm .
They are fine .
There used to a family in the village who had them all year round it random you never when they would start they moved on thankfully .

dorsetladette

Visit site
We're staying in the caravan at the field this weekend. The village FB page has been full of complaints about fireworks all week. I've checked the ponies on the camera periodically and they have been fine but one of the houses nearest the field usually has a party and fireworks the weekend of bonfire night. We had the fireworks land in the field last year. As we have a baby newbie and more animals that haven't seen fireworks before we thought it best to be on the safe side.

scruffyponies

Visit site
There's normally a huge public display in the field right next to mine. I dread it, and stay down with them so I can phone a vet if necessary.

This year there's are plenty of people letting off their own, but there is nothing you can buy in a supermarket which is a tenth as loud as the professional stuff, so they don't care. It's such a relief.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I hate them but luckily my horses are really not bothered I tend to leave them out, we have a lot of shoots and bird scarers local so they are used to loud bangs, it's quite unbelievable really as they are Arabs and can can be complete idiots at times over the smallest silliest things but fireworks are fine, the dog on the other hand is a quivering wreck!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We also have a unit behind us that is rented by a firework company they supply big events on tv and everywhere, so they often test them on the path behind me so my horses near them and see them a lot.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
was very noisy round us last night too. started last weekend, so while my oldies are pretty chilled about it (stood around watching last night) I've been stabling mare and foal overnight just in case of panicked zoomies. the mare is OK with everything so foal seems to be accepting the noises quite well too. I'm assuming there will be stragglers over this weekend then hopefully that will be it.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm sporting a lovely Hitleresque moustache of a graze on my top lip thanks (sort of) to fireworks today. Charlie's shown no sign of being bothered by fireworks so I thought I was ok for a quick ride at 4pm yesterday - still in daylight. One of the girls had been having a jump before me but one of the poly blocks had filled with water so she put it back at the edge of the jump storage area on its side to drain. Charlie was a bit suspicious of it as it was different but we were fine. 20 minutes in, it was getting a bit dusky, a few fireworks were starting to go off (not that C was the slightest bit bothered) and he had worked nicely so I thought to myself "it's time to stop now" At that exact moment we were trotting past the jumps storage area and a fairly distant firework went off. Charlie thought the bang had come from the suspicious block and did quite a spectacular spook at it. I nearly came off and somehow managed to faceplant onto his neck, grazing my top lip and the end of my nose in the process. Of course I then had to do another 10 minutes until he'd go past the spooky corner again. :rolleyes:.

Meanwhile, in the field there were 9 horses who never even lifted their heads from grazing. The dog doesn't care either, but the one we had when I was growing up was terrible, we couldn't go anywhere for about a fortnight around bonfire night.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Neighbouring farm had bombs going off last night by the sound of it! 2 fields away from our house and the horses weren't bothered but it certainly disturbed me

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I gave her another relaquine last night, which helped and tonight I gave her a dose anyway and will tomorrow. This was her last night just a snippet

SEL

Visit site
My horses crashed through mains electric fencing 2 years ago when someone set them off in their garden at 4:30 on a dark Dec night - if my OH hadn't been wearing high viz I think he would have been flattened but they swerved around him.

So that's left them both pretty anxious around bangs. The village they are now stabled in usually doesn't have any because there's a big display in the local town - but that's cancelled and the bl**dy things have been going off every night.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Stayed up at the horses last night. Bonfire in the field across the main road from us with fireworks. Fireworks from up in the village and the neighbouring village too. It was really loud at one point. Poor little Robin was sweaty calling a lot. We put lots of hay out for everyone to try and keep them all together. Calmed down around 10pm.

Over the road has never had a Bonfire before. I'm cross they didn't come to talk to my beforehand.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I had to try very hard not to fall out with my friend and neighbour a few days ago. They always host village f-w party. This year ( tonight) just bonfire, and family f-ws, However, our sheep were to have been in the field opposite theirs. I asked her not to have fireworks.... her answer was that she had animals too! I found it hard not to point out that was her choice. Long story short, in fact our sheep wont be in said field until tomorrow ( things always take longer to sort) AFTER the fireworks. Is she selfish for going ahead or am I selfish for asking her not to?

Pedantic

Visit site
You all need to move, I consider myself extremely lucky as after living in essex for years and having months of non stop fireworks every year I have yet to hear or see one this year, in fact I have not even heard mention of them outside of social media.
Move where ???.... Kin Narnia

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My fancy pants horses have never been bothered by fireworks. I would starve them just a little (I am talking net not given until fireworks started, but actual starving!) and put the hay in a trickle net so it is difficult to access. They have all been far more interested in their food than the bangs.

A couple actually seemed to like them. I was once on tricky shifts, Charlie Horse hadn't been worked or turned out and I was back at 6pm. I have never had a horse confined to a stable for 24 hours, so decided that a lunge round would probably be the safest...

He lunged round admiring the bangs and flashes, so I tied the lunge rein up and hopped aboard bareback. When Mr Red came home I was there, cantering round, laughing like a hyena. It just seemed so carefree.

However, tank-of-a-cob Rigsby doesn't seem such a fan. On Halloween a near neighbour set off some explosions that I wondered could they be a shotgun? The nearby neighbours had raised voices and poor Rigsby was spinning circles in his stable. He didn't lie down for 2 days afterwards.

A pony in the next door field almost went through the electric fence, and the livery yard the other side found an empty, burned rocket casing at the foot of a stable door.

There were only a few bangs as the neighbours apologised and said they didn't realise...

They are new neighbours and presumably also don't realise that racing a quad up and down the road may also annoy the neighbours!

For 5th November and this weekend, I have stuffed cardboard boxes in the windows, the doors are in a high-walled yard. He has been fine since. That is despite a 2 1/2 hour long power cut on 5th, covering the time when I had carefully left all of the lights on, including the yard spotlights! I had to give him his extra hay net by torchlight. Happily, he was so pleased to see the delayed hay that the torch was nothing to him!

scats

Visit site
It was horrendous around here on Thursday night. I assume because all organised displays were cancelled, so people decided to host their own. It’s never, ever normally that bad. For about 3 hours the sky was just constantly lighting up and there was none stop bangs and flashes and then explosions of colour. You could even hear more distant booms, it was really strange. I went to Tesco during the day to get the shopping and the queue for the firework counter was almost out the door.

I stayed down a bit later at the farm, but my girls weren’t too concerned. They are in a barn and at the bottom end so I closed the nearest door. They were looking over their doors rather than munching, but didn’t seem distressed. My dogs were worried, particularly the old girl and the middle dog. Youngest is sassy and not afraid of much really.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Mine where fine just stand and watch .
But there’s been loads more at home fireworks this year I expect tonight might be bad as well .

WandaMare

Visit site
We haven't had as many so far this year, but one of our neighbours made up for it last night with the loudest fireworks I have ever heard. They sounded like explosions. All my animals are usually ok but these really unsettled them. Unfortunately the neighbours live in the direction behind the stables so it make it worse because they couldn't see them.

Until last year I hadn't realised that they can be a status thing, how sad. Some new neighbours moved into the village and bragged about how their fireworks were always renowned for being the loudest and most expensive in their previous village. If they thought that would make them popular here they were wrong because it just made them look ignorant, this is an agricultural area with a lot of livestock so most people are very anti fireworks.

P.forpony

Visit site
Very fortunate that mine couldn’t give two hoots, she used to live next to a tank range. They make much bigger bangs than fireworks ?
Very helpful as she’s currently turned away out with the 2yr olds who at first pop last night started to panic until they saw the pony resting a leg and grazing away, they just sidled up close to her for moral support and settled nicely.

Still thing the damn things should be banned!
Although I don’t have to worry about my pony I do have to watch and worry about the OH who has good reason to be unsettled by them but never admits it.

I know they’re pretty I like to watch big displays minus the noise! but when all is said and done I think they’re dangerous and selfish in the hands of private individuals.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Mine were fine until last year when our neighbours at the top of the hill had fireworks for the first time.

We had no warning and I'd put the ponies in the paddock nearest their house as it was usually the furthest away away from the fireworks.

The noise was horrific, the ponies were in a terrible state and we had no choice but to risk injuries to ourselves by getting them out of there.

They were very traumatised and I doubt they'll ever be OK with fireworks again sadly.