Boggle- USA bound!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hermosa’s last yard had pigs. She never had a problem. I even found her lying down in the field shelter with a couple baby pigs, then totally failed to take a photo.

I tried to ride Fin past some pigs once and we had the meltdown to end all meltdowns.

Floofball

Visit site
Hahaha! My current yard has pigs - first time Floof saw them he was fascinated - I was taking pics as he looked so handsome - then one grunted - he did a full 180 so I ended up behind him with leadrope over his bum - then he legged it! I had to let go. Lots of acclimatising followed but boy did he not like them. He had to come off the grass in Spring and go on a fatty bare patch. The only company he had was pigs next door to him, he soon wanted to be their best friend as they kept getting fed 😂 there are a couple of horses there that are terrified of them, makes for interesting hacking around the farm track!!!!
IMG_1270.jpeg

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
My first pony had huge sows at the yard from his weaning. He never bothered.
When we moved there was an alley between the pig pens where I could ride with a friend.
Little 13.2hh leading the scaredy 16.2’s through.
I don’t know about any of my subsequent horses. I don’t think we’ve ever met any pigs

Boulty

Visit site
The Welsh D that used to think cows wanted to murder him thought that piggies were for chasing! Yard I was on got some & the babies used to escape. He soon worked out that snake neck & glare of death made them move & he took great delight in herding them around. He did the same with the sheep… then there were the goats who took direction from nobody and would happily run off with a feed bucket whilst pony was eating from it!

Michen

Visit site
Ok here it is. So I've agreed I'm going to move him a week from Monday after his check up. As I've mentioned, my barn requires you to be a in a training program to board there (how they make their money). There's another horse wanting a stable so I can move now and get out of my 60 notice period. I was very set on him needing to go further down into the foothills because of less snow, but he's improved so much I don't really have that concern so much anymore and suddenly another option came up that I was very lucky to be offered.

Heart says barn A- head says barn B. In reality I could go to barn A and then move to barn B if it didn't work out. Barn A is a private facility, that one of my really good friends recently move to. Barn B is a boarding facility, don't know anyone there but seemed like nice people.

Barn A

• Has an indoor but it’s a typical western indoor for working cattle etc- surface is deep, wouldn’t want to ride on it but would be ok for in hand work/poles. Riding not on the radar anyway so doesn’t really matter. Outdoor surface good
  • Stalls with runs attached and barn is heated in winter when needed but not excessively and everything opened up during day
  • Owners live on site. Super chilled. About 8 horses, half are retired, a couple of roping horses, my friends arab.
  • Great value- nearly half the cost of other barns higher rate. Could even potentially get Boggle a pet pony one day…
  • My really good friend is there so we can help each other out with any extras
  • Nice big pastures, can go out with another quiet horse
  • Really nice people- got on so well with them hence them asking me if I’d like to bring him there. Friend has been there a month and loves it. All very relaxed and unpressured. The western element is pretty cool and fun!
  • 25 mins drive

Cons

• A little haphazard maybe, one of the older horses just roams the property. There is a pig and about 10 dogs!! Although Pepper seemed to like them all. But I've been there a few times now (hand walking friends horse whilst she's away) and the horses are always super relaxed, always have plenty of hay etc
  • In the mountains still, so snow and elevation (but different to current mountain barn as much more open and sunny and flat to get around- no steep up and down hills etc)
  • Being such good value, and their home, will I feel like I can ask for extras or will I feel bad every time I say “can he have this rug on please”
  • Boggle likes my friends horse, who he’d be next too, but not sure about the other horse. How will he feel about having a horse next to him in a run? Given he’s such a territorial little thing. Or will he just get over it? He could have an empty stable between the next horse, if problem. There’s also bars between the stables.

Barn B

Pros
  • In the foothills, less snow/less deep
  • More “structured”, a big boarding barn rather than a casual private barn type affair
  • There are staff, so I can ask for specific things rather than be asking the owner of the barn
  • Flexible on stabling situation ie normal stable, stable with run in heated barn, shed row type stable (open)
  • More horses to ride “English” if I want to keep riding

Cons

• Pretty expensive for what it is- $1,400 for a stall in heated barn or just under $1,000 for a shed row stable thingy.
  • More horses to ride “English” if I want to keep riding
  • It’s an hour in traffic to get to in traffic

Caol Ila

Visit site
I said in an FB message what CC just said. :) A long commute to your horse is a b*tch. Go to Barn A. If it doesn't suit Boggle, reconsider, even if you need to think about moving yourself closer to Castle Rock or Boulder so you have more options either south or north. If Barn A turns out to be perfect, then it's a win all round.

meggymoo

Visit site
It’s one of those situations where you won’t know which is right until you’ve bitten the bullet and done it. It’s probably nigh on impossible to get it 100% spot on with a long list of ‘pros’ and nothing on the ‘cons’ list.
Having a good friend at barn A would be nice, you’ve obviously a good relationship with her - you’ve walked her horses for her when away. So presumably she would be another pair of eyes who you could ask to do something for you when she was there. Also being half the travel time, easier if you do need to get there to do something yourself.
The distance may also come in to play should (and I sincerely hope he doesn’t) the bogster decide he hasn’t finished putting you through the wringer and you need to get there quickly.
I think we all know that you aren’t going to do anything “on the cheap” for him - he wouldn’t be here now. But a saving of $400 a month could mount up to a nice little ‘cushion’ should you decide further down the line that barn A wasn’t working.
Which ever you go for, you’re not stuck with it for life.