Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
Completely understandable, all you can do is what you feel is right - and you, us, and just about everyone else has their fingers crossed for Boggle; I just hope it's smooth sailing as much as possible from here on out.

Thank you. It is so, so exhausting. I’ve been nursing Boggle pretty much since June when the pneumonia happened.

On another note also looking at this and wondering if he needs to go on a diet before spring, if he lasts that long! Particularly if more steroids are in his future.

I am not used to porky Boggle.

IMG_8230.jpeg

nutjob

Visit site
I was also advised that a CT or myelogram would not change the vet advice on what to do with my wobbler. It comes down to clinical symptoms and quality of life. The only reason to do it would be if surgery was considered. The myelogram is also a worry as they manipulate the neck to get images of how severe it is in different positions so the horse can come out worse. I'm seriously afraid for mine that this will cause another extreme pain incident. My vet has never mentioned PRP or IRAP so it would be really interesting to hear what the theory is behind this. I've never seen it mentioned in this country for a wobbler and I've researched options as best I can.

I don't want to minimise what you've been through as it really is a lot, one thing after another is so difficult to bear, but this incident sounds minor in comparison with the nerve pain response from my horse who literally bolted and didn't stop until exhausted and shaking.

I'm super interested if there are other treatments available so if you find more info it would be great if you could update.

Hang in there, you're not at the end of the road yet.

Michen

Visit site
I was also advised that a CT or myelogram would not change the vet advice on what to do with my wobbler. It comes down to clinical symptoms and quality of life. The only reason to do it would be if surgery was considered. The myelogram is also a worry as they manipulate the neck to get images of how severe it is in different positions so the horse can come out worse. I'm seriously afraid for mine that this will cause another extreme pain incident. My vet has never mentioned PRP or IRAP so it would be really interesting to hear what the theory is behind this. I've never seen it mentioned in this country for a wobbler and I've researched options as best I can.

I don't want to minimise what you've been through as it really is a lot, one thing after another is so difficult to bear, but this incident sounds minor in comparison with the nerve pain response from my horse who literally bolted and didn't stop until exhausted and shaking.

I'm super interested if there are other treatments available so if you find more info it would be great if you could update.

Thank you. I’m so sorry you are dealing with this too. Your posts are really helpful. I’ll for sure keep you updated.

misst

Visit site
So sorry to how things are going right now. I am sure you will know if his quality of life is not good enough. Listen to your gut - you know this boy so well.
The OTT TB - no - unless he is totally sound and totally without issues - you have enough on your plate. He is lovely and I know you're looking for something to ride but wait until you know what is going on with Bog and maybe the weather improves....

Michen

Visit site

Also nut job I’ve been doing a course of adequan. Mainly for hocks but I noticed he got much more flexible in the neck on stretches on his usually stiffer side. Before I stopped doing them. Maybe it feeling better isn’t such a good thing because then he uses it! But wanted to mention it as I believe you can get it in the UK soon. Everyone here is obsessed with it, many people do a course twice yearly as preventative. It’s an IM injection every four days for a month.

Michen

Visit site
So sorry to how things are going right now. I am sure you will know if his quality of life is not good enough. Listen to your gut - you know this boy so well.
The OTT TB - no - unless he is totally sound and totally without issues - you have enough on your plate. He is lovely and I know you're looking for something to ride but wait until you know what is going on with Bog and maybe the weather improves....

Oh I know, another horse is not in the cards right now. Nice horse though! My lovely Beau returns from Arizona in April so I’ll be back in the saddle then.

Michen

Visit site
Bog is clipped and so damn happy about it! He groomed me the whole time and showed me the itchy bits. He was so thick and greasy under there I think he will feel much better. Shame for him my clippers were very blunt so not my beat work lol.

Also while he was reaching around to show his itchy bits he was totally fine, so maybe the gabapentin is helping which is supposed to relieve nerve pain.

Vet said side effects can make them a bit “stoned” or sedated. He is certainly not 🤣🤣

Last edited:

nutjob

Visit site
Also nut job I’ve been doing a course of adequan. Mainly for hocks but I noticed he got much more flexible in the neck on stretches on his usually stiffer side. Before I stopped doing them. Maybe it feeling better isn’t such a good thing because then he uses it! But wanted to mention it as I believe you can get it in the UK soon. Everyone here is obsessed with it, many people do a course twice yearly as preventative. It’s an IM injection every four days for a month.
Thanks, I'll ask my vet about it, it might buy him a bit more time and it looks like a low risk option. My other horse enjoys regular trips to the clinic so I'm there very often!

Michen

Visit site
Forever surprised that Adequan and Legend aren't big things here. People in the States have been giving those drugs to their horses like they're bloody junkies on the Gallowgate since at least the late 90s.

My old QH, diagnosed with hock arthritis, was a new women on Legend and Adequan.

Hahaha and I had never even heard of it!!!

I love your country, this is the barn gathering spread this afternoon…

And everyone’s just so kind, open and warm. My trimmer bought me a loaf of home made sour dough bread because she knew I was having a hard time with Bog.

IMG_8256.jpeg

Caol Ila

Visit site
My state is awesome.

I can assure you that barns on the East Coast are just as challenging as ones in the UK. People (especially bloody management) just ain't that nice.

I loved my barn in Boulder. I spent weeks and weeks in tears in Massachusetts, at a barn run by douchebags, filled with douchebag liveries (not everyone, but more than would be ideal), and I've found that to be an ongoing theme since I left the CO barn in 2001 (though I went back after I graduated in 2005, then left again in 2006 to move to the UK). CO people are so damn nice and open.

Michen

Visit site
My state is awesome.

I can assure you that barns on the East Coast are just as challenging as ones in the UK. People (especially bloody management) just ain't that nice.

I loved my barn in Boulder. I spent weeks and weeks in tears in Massachusetts, at a barn run by douchebags, filled with douchebag liveries (not everyone, but more than would be ideal), and I've found that to be an ongoing theme since I left the CO barn in 2001 (though I went back after I graduated in 2005, then left again in 2006 to move to the UK). CO people are so damn nice and open.

They really are! Though I find the same in all the states I travel in but non are east coast.

I think this country or least the states I’m in mostly make it hard to be grumpy 🤣 and I’m naturally a grumpy person so it’s been a big adjustment haha.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Totally, it is a nice TB, though. But it's not ending up in my hands for sure!!

He's got a pretty face, I'll give you that. But he's being stood up to photograph with a stallion chain through his mouth, he's over at the knee on both fronts, one worse than the other, the hind legs are too straight for my liking and he has a suspicious bump of muscle directly over the tuber sacrale at the top of the bum which can be an indicator of chronic SI strain. I hope he ends up in a nice place. I'll shut up now 🤣

ETA he's also got a resident ghost 👻 in his right hock 😲

I'm Dun

Visit site
He's got a pretty face, I'll give you that. But he's being stood up to photograph with a stallion chain through his mouth, he's over at the knee on both fronts, one worse than the other, the hind legs are too straight for my liking and he has a suspicious bump of muscle directly over the tuber sacrale at the top of the bum which can be an indicator of chronic SI strain. I hope he ends up in a nice place. I'll shut up now 🤣

ETA he's also got a resident ghost 👻 in his right hock 😲

And the short neck and thick gullet wont make for a nice ride either.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Your barn is amazing! Do you keep in touch with the competition barn that you were at to start with - is that the barn where Beau is still at livery? Both seem great yards, but obviously only the current one has a resident (rug eating) pig!!

Bog looks lovely and sleek and shiny since his clip, so all being well that will let his neck settle down if he's not over-stretching to itch.

Have a great time with your Mum visiting, it must be hard when you're on tenterhooks with Bog, but hopefully your mind has been put at rest a bit now. 🤞