Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
My poor neighbour is stuck on my drive having tried to get me out, no way to do it until the snow melts now it’s so thick and hard and crusty.

Going to hike to nearest main plowed road (no idea how through thick solid snow) a friend is picking me up to take me to barn and then I’m going to try and dig my truck out there. Just not sure where I’ll put it to drive home, I can’t leave it on the side of the road really, so maybe I’ll have to leave it at nearest parking lot which is a 1.15 hr walk 🙈

Local Evergreen residents are not happy, seems the county were totally unprepared and most of the residential roads haven’t been plowed. People are totally stuck. Normal plowing equipment (a truck with front loader) isn’t cutting it so there’s no point even trying to pay a contractor. Even worse is some of the roads that have been plowed have left 5 foot walls of snow and ice in front of residential roads. So they are barricaded in.

It’s actually quite scary, pepper ripped a hole in her side somehow on Friday and ideally it would have had a stitch or two but literally no way of getting anywhere.

Being house bound for three days is definitely not good for my mental state I’m going absolutely crazy!!!!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think that this is the universe telling you that you need to relax and do nothing for a few days. The horses are fine. No point going to the hassle of digging your truck out, you’re just going to get stuck somewhere else.
I think you need to learn how to turn your head off and stop over thinking/worrying. I do it too. Someone said I should learn to meditate. I haven’t yet!

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I think that this is the universe telling you that you need to relax and do nothing for a few days. The horses are fine. No point going to the hassle of digging your truck out, you’re just going to get stuck somewhere else.
I think you need to learn how to turn your head off and stop over thinking/worrying. I do it too. Someone said I should learn to meditate. I haven’t yet!

No! Honestly I’ve been going crazy! I’m not a sit at home kinda gal. And when I’m here, I want to be with Bog, it feels like wasted time.

Thank god for good friends I got picked up and got my truck out at the barn, Bog is annoyed haha, and now I need to head back to tow my neighbour out. We spent three hours this morning trying to dig him out (he’d come down the drive to try and pull the tractor out he was trying to plow my drive with). His truck swung into a post and has a huge dent so I feel terrible and will obviously be offering to pay any costs!

It’s been an adventure for sure but now I’m sat at the barn with a cocktail and life feels good again 🤣

My truck, almost free! And my drive, defo not free. All the proper roads are totally fine but these long driveways like where I am are not. And needs seriously heavy equipment to plow. Lots of people still stuck. I head to California on Tuesday hopefully by the time I’m back the drive will be somewhat melted.

IMG_9040.jpegIMG_9023.jpeg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Dusty is bringing a little peace into this crazy life. I don’t need to explain how much I love being around Boggle, his high spirit and energy. Dusty is the polar opposite! I’ve been really treating Dusty like a transaction, the odd groom and treat but mostly just the actual restarting bit.

Today I spent about an hour grooming him and he’s just so… gentle. Everything is soft and sweet almost a little sad. He just wants his cheek stroked the whole time. I really want to lift the sadness out of him! Sat on him in the indoor for a few laps and he was great, don’t even need help with the mounting block or getting on. I’m sure there will be things to work through with him but I’m grateful for how easy he’s been so far.

I spent 8 hours faffing at the barn with the two of them today. Total bliss.

IMG_9062.png

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Dusty is bringing a little peace into this crazy life. I don’t need to explain how much I love being around Boggle, his high spirit and energy. Dusty is the polar opposite! I’ve been really treating Dusty like a transaction, the odd groom and treat but mostly just the actual restarting bit.

Today I spent about an hour grooming him and he’s just so… gentle. Everything is soft and sweet almost a little sad. He just wants his cheek stroked the whole time. I really want to lift the sadness out of him! Sat on him in the indoor for a few laps and he was great, don’t even need help with the mounting block or getting on. I’m sure there will be things to work through with him but I’m grateful for how easy he’s been so far.

I spent 8 hours faffing at the barn with the two of them today. Total bliss.

View attachment 135963

This is why I get a bit sad when ex racers don't go to a private home. They've never known what it is to have a human really cares about them and handles them the way a private owner with only one or two horses does. You won't know his true character for about 3 or 4 months, imo, though he'll probably always be a gentle soul. One day his spirits will lift and he'll see the joy in life.

The problem is, when you've seen that impact that you have on him, how can you ever send him back? If you really mean to, I'd harden your heart now and do only the basic rehab work with him and keep your distance a bit.

Bernster

Visit site
This is why I get a bit sad when ex racers don't go to a private home. They've never known what it is to have a human really cares about them and handles them the way a private owner with only one or two horses does. You won't know his true character for about 3 or 4 months, imo, though he'll probably always be a gentle soul. One day his spirits will lift and he'll see the joy in life.

The problem is, when you've seen that impact that you have on him, how can you ever send him back? If you really mean to, I'd harden your heart now and do only the basic rehab work with him and keep your distance a bit.
This made me well up a bit. I’m getting soppy as I age !

Michen

Visit site

I do mean to, and I loved Bear and put a ton of work and money into him, we had some great times on various holidays and the hunting field, but I still had no problem selling him. He found his real human.

That’s what I’m repeating to myself, haha. Honestly things and life change so quickly that I am just not thinking about it. If I really, REALLY wanted him to stay he could stay. At the moment I can't even think past the next week, let alone month or years.

It'll all shake out in some way or form.

Last edited:

photo_jo

Visit site
This is why I get a bit sad when ex racers don't go to a private home. They've never known what it is to have a human really cares about them and handles them the way a private owner with only one or two horses does. You won't know his true character for about 3 or 4 months, imo, though he'll probably always be a gentle soul. One day his spirits will lift and he'll see the joy in life.e retired

I would completely disagree with this - maybe in some yards but in the majority the lads who do them love the horses they look after as if they are their own- many take their favourite when they are retired

ycbm

Visit site
I would completely disagree with this - maybe in some yards but in the majority the lads who do them love the horses they look after as if they are their own- many take their favourite when they are retired

I don't believe any pro groom can look after a horse as if it is their own and one of one or two that they own and whose futures they are in complete control of. They don't have the time, and knowing the horse can disappear from their care at any time through no choice the groom makes and has a job they are required to do for someone else also, imo, changes the whole dynamic.

I made my comment based on buying race horses directly out of training from the auctions.

The change in them over 3-6 months in a private home is both heartening and sad. Seeing the change was when I started to really dislike the whole industry.

photo_jo

Visit site
I don't believe any pro groom can look after a horse as if it is their own and one of one or two that they own and whose futures they are in complete control of. They don't have the time, and knowing the horse can disappear from their care at any time through no choice the groom makes and has a job they are required to do for someone else also, imo, changes the whole dynamic.

I made my comment based on buying race horses directly out of training from the auctions.

The change in them over 3-6 months in a private home is both heartening and sad. Seeing the change was when I started to really dislike the whole industry.
I made my comment on knowing the people who look after them - they spend much more time with their racehorse than most people who have a full time job do.

ycbm

Visit site
I made my comment on knowing the people who look after them - they spend much more time with their racehorse than most people who have a full time job do.

I'm absolutely sure that most grooms love their charges. My comment was not in any way suggesting that grooms don't do the absolute best that they can for them. But the change in demeanour of a race horse taken out of race training speaks for itself.

coblets

Visit site

But the change in demeanour of a race horse taken out of race training speaks for itself.
It also speaks for “horse gets taken to auction (stressful), then put in private/leisure yard, so an environment completely unlike anything it’s known before (stressful), shuts down a little from the stress and change, and then takes 3+ months to become fully confident in its surroundings, like most horses when they change homes.”

ycbm

Visit site
It also speaks for “horse gets taken to auction (stressful), then put in private/leisure yard, so an environment completely unlike anything it’s known before (stressful), shuts down a little from the stress and change, and then takes 3+ months to become fully confident in its surroundings, like most horses when they change homes.”

I've had loads of both including non racers bought through auction. The horses that come out of an environment where they've have a paid job to do as a racehorse since they were born are different, ime.

Michen

Visit site
Sorry I've been AWOL and thank you to ROMANY for checking on me!

Bog is being so good, bar the odd fly buck if something exciting happens he's a dobbin to walk. It's almost suspicious. He does quite enjoy sneaking behind me and grabbing my pony tail in his mouth, though. I suppose the run does a lot to keep a horse quiet that's not being turned out, though I did let him loose in the indoor today for a buck and a leap. He's also looking weirdly good on his front legs... I can never bear to say it because hope is dangerous and then comes crashing down but.. I dunno. A couple of weeks ago I thought the lack of turnout was worsening the ataxia but he honestly looks improved at the moment from even before when he was being turned out. He had two e stim acupuncture sessions close together, not sure if it's maybe helped so doing the same in April. My vet can't find the old scans as the memory got wiped and the disk lost, but his leg is about 95% normal swelling wise and cold. Finding chunks of snow and varied ground to walk on or over to improve his proprioception whilst trying to mostly keep out of the indoor surface is like a whole new sport in itself! I'm also doing lots of neck massage (myself), and getting a ton of releases from him. @palo1 gave me that idea where I read a post from her a while back saying she did her own bodywork and I figured, why not. Youtube is helpful :D

I plan to bring both horses back to the house on Monday for a month, and once the snow has melted a bit will just turn him out. I feel like 4-6 weeks is sufficient to settle down whatever he's done and I don't feel good about doing any longer with a retired horse, however good he's being about it.

Dusty is great! Riding for about 20 mins in walk with ground work before. He is stiff as a board, getting any kind of flexion of contact give is a mission. So just doing lot's of change in direction and asking him to bend around my leg. I may try out a little rubber nathe for him and see if he prefers that in his mouth. But he's willing, easy so far and I'm enjoying the progress.

Work is busy and I'm off to Arizona tonight then Canada until Sunday, spending easter with some UK friends who I've not seen for about 8 years! No travel planned for april yet which works well with having the horses at home. Headspace is varied, I chickened out of booking a liveaboard diving trip for July. Will go do some more cenotes but I'm just not ready for/feeling like diving in the ocean at the moment- I hope it comes back.

And the biggest news-$2,000 more to go on my vet bill and then it's clear :D (the grand total for the last 12 months was $75,000 and I do still have some subsequent credit cards to pay off, but at least the biggest chunk is nearly gone) Would have been clear months ago but, Bog lol.

IMG_9156.jpegIMG_9154.jpegIMG_9136.jpeg

Last edited:

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
My god woman.. you’re like a super woman. All you get done and stamina. I am lame now. Twisted knee, but X-ray showed no damage just strain. Think I should be in your 4ft snow to Ice my knee 😂😂😂

Michen

Visit site
My god woman.. you’re like a super woman. All you get done and stamina. I am lame now. Twisted knee, but X-ray showed no damage just strain. Think I should be in your 4ft snow to Ice my knee 😂😂😂

There is a reason Boggle is my soulmate, we are oh so similar with how we approach life :D I hope your knee is better soon, gah! Have some of our snow, I am done with it :D

palo1

Visit site
Can I just say, a bit meekly, that the bodywork I do is pretty basic, informed in part by doing a very simple owners equine massage course (with a qualified equine sports massage therapist) and the TTouch stuff, which is widely available and safe. I love being able to treat the horses but always respect their view on what I am offering! Good for you @Michen for taking that on for Boggle in rehab and I bet he loves it!! 😁

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Just wanted to pop in and mention Posture Prep if I haven't already. It's a cross fiber groomer and you can get it on Amazon for around $10. It's basically just another curry comb, but it has a specific design and there are videos on how to use it. Just another body work tool of sorts. Some horses really like it.

Michen

Visit site
Can I just say, a bit meekly, that the bodywork I do is pretty basic, informed in part by doing a very simple owners equine massage course (with a qualified equine sports massage therapist) and the TTouch stuff, which is widely available and safe. I love being able to treat the horses but always respect their view on what I am offering! Good for you @Michen for taking that on for Boggle in rehab and I bet he loves it!! 😁
I should have phrased it better! Basically what you mentioned gave me the idea to even try. I’ve always thought nope, leave it to a pro, and if a good physio existed here I would. But I can’t find one like my UK one so I figured I might as well give it a go.

It’s super basic, rocking his neck at the crest seems to give the most release and then it goes softer and more floppy. Other than that I’m using my thumbs to massage the muscles a bit and getting my hand in where the shoulder is. Sometimes he loves it and is up for it, some times he tells me where to go 🤣 I just play around and see what feels good and given he’s quick to say yay or nay to everything I can kinda figure out what works.

Michen

Visit site
Just wanted to pop in and mention Posture Prep if I haven't already. It's a cross fiber groomer and you can get it on Amazon for around $10. It's basically just another curry comb, but it has a specific design and there are videos on how to use it. Just another body work tool of sorts. Some horses really like it.

Thank you! I’ve actually been meaning to order one.

Michen

Visit site
Oh sad.. rescue text yesterday to ask to pass on my number to a lady interested in Dusty. Hadn’t even had a chance to float the idea of me keeping him (funding him) over summer.

I’ll be really sad if he goes, but I’m not going to stand in the way of him finding his person if this one seems right.

He is still a LOT of project though, with only a few hours under saddle, and various kinks to iron out, so will see what she says. If she calls, hasn’t yet.

But yeh, a bit gutted. Dang.

Just landed back from Canada and going to go grab the horses and bring them home regardless for a bit :)