Boggle- USA bound!

SEL

Visit site
Have any of you ever flown west from USA to oz? It is the absolute weirdest experience ever. I layed over in Fiji for a couple of hours but you see nothing but endless, endless sea for 17 hours total flying time.

Then suddenly Australia appears out of no where! I feel like I’m at the very end of the earth lol, obviously if you fly east from UK it doesn’t seem so isolated but my mind is totally blown right now that there is civilization on this random island in the middle of the ocean 🤣
I did that. Flew from LA to Cairns via an hour or so in Auckland. Missed 4 July totally - left the US on 3rd and landed in Cairns on 5th.

Felt pretty isolated flying home 18 months later too. We flew all the way up Australia which was stunning to Tokyo and you really realise how barren it is.

I did a whole month travelling from Perth to Darwin and I could have done a lot longer. It was fabulous. Western Australia was my favourite part and I did overland all the way round (except flying to Tasmania)

Trip of a lifetime :)

Michen

Visit site
Well it felt like a crazy journey that’s for sure!!

Bog had e stim accupuncture today and when being trotted up apparently just rolled and rolled and rolled, showing his agility haha.

Yet to speak to the vet but he told my friend he was blown away by his progress and whilst he can still see the ataxia he absolutely thinks I shouldn’t be ruling out trail riding him again. Sigh. We all know Bog is not a relaxing happy hacker.

Anyhow, great that he’s doing so well.

6484920D-6563-48F8-BE5C-2A32EA2A9AEB.jpeg

teapot

Visit site
Well it felt like a crazy journey that’s for sure!!

Bog had e stim accupuncture today and when being trotted up apparently just rolled and rolled and rolled, showing his agility haha.

Yet to speak to the vet but he told my friend he was blown away by his progress and whilst he can still see the ataxia he absolutely thinks I shouldn’t be ruling out trail riding him again. Sigh. We all know Bog is not a relaxing happy hacker.

Anyhow, great that he’s doing so well.

View attachment 130516

Bog continues to surprise you, don't rule him out of doing anything - he may well surprise you again when it comes to chilled hacking

Michen

Visit site
Just spoke to the vet. He hasn't seen him since he was in hospital (but is his usual field vet). Said he was beyond thrilled, that Boggle looks a million bucks body, muscle wise. Couldn't see any ataxia in front, only very slight behind at the walk (a switch from what we thought before, where he was worse in front which pointed towards EPM).

Apparently Boggle was very thrilled to be in the arena with a big audience haha.

Emilieu

Visit site
It is yeah, should make me feel elated but somehow it doesn’t. Guess I’m just always wanting a clean bill of health!
I don’t blame you not being able to feel elated - you must be wrung out with all the emotions flying about. In time hopefully the heightened emotions will relax. You might still not feel elated, but hopefully a more gentle sense of happiness and well being might get a chance to re-establish itself.

meesha

Visit site
Brilliant news, you may be protecting yourself from more disappointment by refusing to feel elated or too hopeful.

Still think come spring you will be back out competing !! New barn definitely doing him wonders if he looks that good with no work (must be all the running away from the pig 😂)

Michen

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Gosh what a moaner I've become! Sorry! The horse is only around 9 weeks post being so ataxic he could barely stand, yet here I am always wanting more. I think my emotions are just all used up.

@Red-1 yep I've just left him for the month whilst I'm gone, I was doing poles/balance pads for about 15 mins a day which I'll pick up when I'm back but any long reining and distance work will need to wait until the snow goes in spring, anyway. But I do think about your story and your boy recovering well but falling under saddle a few times etc.

You never know with Boggle, he's the king of all comebacks.

Michen

Visit site
Brilliant news, you may be protecting yourself from more disappointment by refusing to feel elated or too hopeful.

Still think come spring you will be back out competing !! New barn definitely doing him wonders if he looks that good with no work (must be all the running away from the pig 😂)

Goodness did I post here about the latest pig incident I can't remember. In case not, I was stood in his run chatting to another boarder. Run door open, Bog in his stable with front stable door shut. Pig suddenly comes in screaming (being chased by a dog), runs under, literally under Boggle's belly as she can't get out the other side. Boggle leaps all four feet off the ground in the air and bless the horse, lands back down and didn't touch her. Stands their quivering whilst I usher said pig back out the way she came.

It was about the worst series of events that could ever happen in Bog's mind, but since then he does seem to be slightly more tolerant of her!

Trouper

Visit site
Whilst I am not one to dwell on the past - onwards and upwards and all that - it does sometimes help to stop and look back down the mountain and see how far you have come. Bog is further up his mountain than you are - principally because you did most of the heavy lifting for him in the beginning - and it isn't fair that a dirty great boulder came and took your legs away when you were keeping pace with him.

You will get there. Shortest and darkest day here now - not sure how that equates where you are but hopefully we are all on the turn to Spring. Keep the faith.

Michen

Visit site
Whilst I am not one to dwell on the past - onwards and upwards and all that - it does sometimes help to stop and look back down the mountain and see how far you have come. Bog is further up his mountain than you are - principally because you did most of the heavy lifting for him in the beginning - and it isn't fair that a dirty great boulder came and took your legs away when you were keeping pace with him.

You will get there. Shortest and darkest day here now - not sure how that equates where you are but hopefully we are all on the turn to Spring. Keep the faith.

Thanks Trouper, I really hope you are right. I am a complete and utter wreck, there is a LOT more work to do to get myself back to full "health", than Bog tbh.

Here was me skipping off to Oz thinking all was well, ha ha...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Between the pair of you, you and Bog have enough spirit to light the moon.

You've had a horrific experience that few people in the world will ever go through. It happened taking down time to recover from not one but two back to back Bog emergencies that ran your emotional reserve down to zero. You'll get past this, hang in there, we're all rooting for you.

Tarragon

Visit site
There is trail riding and there is trail riding - how about doing the longer distance Endurance Rides?? I am sure if he doing a 50 mile ride he will learn to pace himself and use up all that lovely energy :)

Michen

Visit site
Yes perhaps!

I’m just relieved that he does seem to be accepting the pig, finally.

2.5 more weeks without him and I already miss him tons. Terrible quality but this video memory popped up of me seeing if he’d follow a carrot on a stick as a 6 year old. Poor Boggle 🤣 he really did have the “upbringing” that ponies kids have, being put in all sorts of silly situations. When he wasn’t trying to buck me off during his first year, that is.

91DA1A85-2699-4C20-9843-29412A02FCE3.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
Happy NY everyone, thank you again so much for all the support throughout the craziness of 2023. I hope 2024 is better for everyone whose had a tough year too.

I was very happy to say goodbye to 23 in Sydney, aka ASAP! It's been a fun few weeks in Oz despite endless rain. Mentally not so great, but will attack that when I'm back. Have been doing LOTS of walking :D

Take care everyone and HNY xx

54689E1E-687E-4BEA-94AB-C641CF3B0C22.jpeg

Bradsmum

Visit site
Happy New Year to you too Michen. Sorry you’ve had rain but at least you’re in shorts. Non stop wind & rain throughout most of the UK so constantly head to toe in waterproofs is very draining ☹️. Here’s to a better year ahead for all. Take care.

Michen

Visit site
Happy New Year to you too Michen. Sorry you’ve had rain but at least you’re in shorts. Non stop wind & rain throughout most of the UK so constantly head to toe in waterproofs is very draining ☹️. Here’s to a better year ahead for all. Take care.

Fingers crossed Bradsmum for a good 24 for us all! I saw the posts about the weather, unreal. I am excited to get back to sunny, snowy Colorado to be honest :) Hope it dries up for you soon.