Boggle- USA bound!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I think going with the flow is the right thing for now. Maybe you'll fall in love with Dusty (Bog clearly has). Maybe not. If not, you'd have a lot of fun on trails riding a forward, buzzy Arab, Morgan, or another hot American breed like a Saddlebred. Given you have a trailer, there is so much to explore.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
The last photo of Dusty and Bog says it all ❤️.

i also believe Dusty has been brought into your lives for a reason. I hope you’re able to open your heart to him and he can stay. He’s really looking much better and as another poster said, when you’re so close to them I don’t think you see the changes as much.

cauda equina

Visit site

Michen

Visit site
Bog is still awful to him at other times, like squealing because Dusty has moved from stall to run without approval 🤣

Really annoying the knee boots I bought for Bog are slipping down. They are neoprene. Is this normal for knee boots? Never used them.

To be honest I’m not sure why I’m bothering to hand walk Bog now he’s being turned out but he seems to enjoy it and I figure 30 mins of up and down hills can only be good for him, and I get my steps in!

IMG_9520.jpeg

Jellymoon

Visit site
It seems to be like a bit of a waste not to be able to explore that amazing country you have landed in, I think a trail horse would be essential! Maybe not exciting like eventing, but surely more thrilling than hacking round the UK roads and bridle paths in the traffic and the drizzle!
I hear Morgans are very versatile…perhaps a good allrounder for trail riding out there and a bit of jumping and flatwork too. Is Morgan/arab a thing? Might be a fun cross…

Northern Hare

Visit site
Well would you expect a horse called Dusty to be shiny? :)
I bet he'll look amazing in a couple of months

Sometimes the horses we get as temporary spares, projects etc turn out to be fantastic and end up staying....

I so agree with this! How many of us have grown tired of searching the length of the country for a new horse, with endless failed vettings, only to be offered a spare horse to ride while you're looking, and for it to turn out to be THE ONE, only in disguise - and it was hiding in plain sight just a mile away!!

Dusty looks a super chap, he's very lucky, and just wait till he starts to really flourish and shine. They're lovely photos, I'm loving that barn arrangement!

Trouper

Visit site
Long, long ago in a land far, far away (well it was Wales!) we went to see a litter of GSD pups to choose the latest addition to the family. Experienced GSD owners - choosing wasn't going to be a problem was it?
Presented with four gorgeous boys to choose from - could not even manage to narrow it down and one annoying pup insisted on coming to sit in my lap to go to sleep while I was handling the others. As the dithering continued OH suggested that I should just look at the situation to see what was happening - yup - annoying pup had chosen us. Would not be put down and slept in my arms all the 4 hour journey back from the far away land. He was a superstar until his death at 14.

The moral of this story? - stop fighting fate! You and Bog both need Dusty.

The end.

Michen

Visit site
Ha!!! Well Dusty sure appreciates the support 🤣

The thing about Dusty though.. he’s a creaky, clicky, badly put together chap. His feet are going to take a lot of work. His pasterns are… long. His hocks are straight. He’s bum high. He clicks whenever he moves, everywhere.

He’s been raced and then starved nearly to death. Even if I wanted to keep him, who knows if he’d stand up to any proper work. And I sure as anything don’t need another vet addict.

I know any horse can go wrong but, it seems silly not to at least try and start off with something that maybe has a chance at not needing the vet in the future.

but.. we shall see. I did feel like I’d been punched in the gut when I got that text about a woman wanting to talk about him. And I did obsessively check my phone for a missed call far too often 🤣

Michen

Visit site
Just been watching videos of Dusty, he actually won quite a bit, $130k, in claimers. The videos show all the footage post winning and into the circle etc, when they are pulling up. Not even so much as a pat. The racing looks so "low grade", the handling is rough- not cruel but rough. He is such a sweet, gentle soul I just can't imagine how he coped in that kind of environment. It makes my heart break. How, how could he end up starved and dumped and mistreated.

I had to run out to the pasture and give him a big hug :(

IMG_9540.jpeg

Last edited:

Lauraback

Visit site
Can you maybe long term loan dusty from the rescue ? 🥰So if he’s not up to your aspirations of work he can go back to them to be retired BUT if he does cope he can stay with you and Bog and you don’t need to worry about having a second pasture pet? Just trying to figure out how we can get him to stay without the vet fee risks 😊 he is such a sweet dude 🥰

Michen

Visit site
Can you maybe long term loan dusty from the rescue ? 🥰So if he’s not up to your aspirations of work he can go back to them to be retired BUT if he does cope he can stay with you and Bog and you don’t need to worry about having a second pasture pet? Just trying to figure out how we can get him to stay without the vet fee risks 😊 he is such a sweet dude 🥰

I think that's how it works with the adoption to be fair, they always have a place to go back too. But, I'd be responsible for vet fees whilst in my adoptive care, so it's not like I could (or would) ever hand him back if something bad went wrong and needed treating them and there rather than just a can't stand up to this work kinda thing.

I am just not planning more than a week or so ahead at a time. I still need to hack him properly and know if he's going to be trustworthy. Frankly, I still need to work out how to get him to soften to any form of contact for longer than half a second!