Bramham horse trials accident

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I’ve been watching bramham and they have taken a fence out after the Japanese rider had an accident, the horse has been put down , such a shame , anyone know what happened?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
No, they took the camera off before he fell. Very sad for the rider and his connections.

They kept the fence in for a while after that incident but 4 more riders fell off at that fence which I think made the decision.

I'm surprised it has caused so many issues as it didn't look too bad, maybe it was the ditch on a long 2 strides was making the striding difficult. I wondered if they would just remove the little triple brush fence A but that might have taken too long.

Patterdale

Visit site
We were at the fence and saw the last one fall before they took it out. The ones I saw who had run outs/falls (didnt see the really bad one thank goodness ?) were not making the distance, it looked to be on an attacking forward two strides. To me. The fence itself was a rider frightener but otherwise looked ok to me, but I think taking it out was the right thing to do given the number of falls.

Just my humble opinion on the striding, the riders all know more than me!

Nicnac

Visit site
Very sad. Saw the rider went clear on another horse. Not sure if it was before or after his horse who was euthanised. If after, not sure what I think of that.
Seems lots of problems as a multitude of E's and R's in the results. 33% of non completions isn't a very good result.

Hope the U25's and 4* short fare better.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The accident was on his first horse whose start time was 9.50 , so very early.. I don’t have any sound now, anyone else got the same problem with h & c?

Velcrobum

Visit site
Course is held again fall (type unknown) at fence 17. A table in the woods not on H&C.
ETA it is a horse fall according to Eventing scores. Course has now been re-started after 20 minute hold.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I wonder what happened. I just looked at the results and, I may have miscounted, but it seems that 42 completed the XC and 21 didn't.

I was there yesterday for some dressage and shopping but didn't walk the course. I wouldn't have thought the ground or weather would have been influential in anything other than a good way.

I do feel for the horses and owners/riders. Are all the riders healthy?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wonder what happened. I just looked at the results and, I may have miscounted, but it seems that 42 completed the XC and 21 didn't.

I was there yesterday for some dressage and shopping but didn't walk the course. I wouldn't have thought the ground or weather would have been influential in anything other than a good way.

I do feel for the horses and owners/riders. Are all the riders healthy?

We were there on Thursday, also didn't walk the course but have just been saying exactly the same. Some years the ground has been muddy and slippery by the end of Thursday in the shopping area but everything seemed fine this year.

Boulty

Visit site
Been there all day but didn't actually see any of the falls (did see the loose horse early on that gave everyone the run around). Ground & weather perfect (not too hot, mainly overcast & a decent breeze all day) & although I didn't see anyone jump fence 7 before it was removed would agree it looked pretty innocuous / not like it would have caused the issues it did. Lots of holds on course which isn't normal from previous years of spectating there. Very sad that the course has caused the problems it has.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I'm not sure what the issue truly is but the Andrew Nicholson article in H and H was pretty interesting (about Badminton). He thought a lot of these issues have been caused by lower level courses being too easy (mainly to get more entries) and riders not being experienced/ good enough.

Do lower level courses need to be tougher to give horses and riders experience of interesting and tough questions before stepping up to a level like this?

I feel for all the horses and riders today.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Very sad. And strange. The Bramham leap has been there for years, it always did need attacking. Perhaps it was a strange distance this year?

As for the other horse - was it up on the slope down towards the far water jump on the CCI course? I always felt the ground in those woods could seem bumpy/damp when the rest of the park was perfect. Pure speculation though, I’ve not been for a few years, but used to go regularly.

It’s not a good year for Eventing so far.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Very sad. And strange. The Bramham leap has been there for years, it always did need attacking. Perhaps it was a strange distance this year?

Having seen several horses early in the day jump no 7 (not the Japanese horse, we were a couple of jumps ahead when course was held) I think the issue was less part b itself or just the striding between a and b, but that part b being skinny meant that on approach to part a the horse couldn’t see much of b, particularly the ditch. Several horse we saw jumped part a fine, took a stride, baulked at the ditch so then weren’t on an attacking stride and jumped it poorly or awkwardly as a result.

As for the other horse - was it up on the slope down towards the far water jump on the CCI course? I always felt the ground in those woods could seem bumpy/damp when the rest of the park was perfect. Pure speculation though, I’ve not been for a few years, but used to go regularly.

The woods before the kidney ponds was much earlier in the course - I think this may have been on a new section of the course, cutting though the woods towards where the arena eventing is or on the run between that and the second water.

neddy man

Visit site
The Japanese riders horse couldn't make the distance stopped and fell into the ditch, rider thrown forward over the ditch and was layed on the ground motionless for 10 minutes or so before being transferred to an ambulance, the horse emerged from the left of the ditch with a broken near foreleg, was held a long time behind quickly erected screens the vets were quickly on the scene and the horse was loaded onto a veterinary trailer and taken back to be checked over.

JJS

Visit site
Been there all day but didn't actually see any of the falls (did see the loose horse early on that gave everyone the run around). Ground & weather perfect (not too hot, mainly overcast & a decent breeze all day) & although I didn't see anyone jump fence 7 before it was removed would agree it looked pretty innocuous / not like it would have caused the issues it did. Lots of holds on course which isn't normal from previous years of spectating there. Very sad that the course has caused the problems it has.

The grade C showjumping course seemed particularly challenging today too. I can’t remember ever seeing so many runouts or faults, and we go every year. The courses seem to have been particularly challenging despite looking innocuous enough to those spectating.

Clodagh

Visit site
The Japanese riders horse couldn't make the distance stopped and fell into the ditch, rider thrown forward over the ditch and was layed on the ground motionless for 10 minutes or so before being transferred to an ambulance, the horse emerged from the left of the ditch with a broken near foreleg, was held a long time behind quickly erected screens the vets were quickly on the scene and the horse was loaded onto a veterinary trailer and taken back to be checked over.
That is interesting, thank you. I was at a point to point today and a horse broke a foreleg in front of me. It was shot and in the knackerwagon very quickly. It was assessed by vets and the horse ambulance turned up first but was not needed.
Why in eventing is a cataclysmic injury transported? For the horse or the public?

teapot

Visit site

That is interesting, thank you. I was at a point to point today and a horse broke a foreleg in front of me. It was shot and in the knackerwagon very quickly. It was assessed by vets and the horse ambulance turned up first but was not needed.
Why in eventing is a cataclysmic injury transported? For the horse or the public?

Bramham's own post makes no reference to what needy man posted, but if the horse was moved, it'll probably came down to access/logstics.

neddy man

Visit site
The announcement over the tannoy said the horse had been transported back for assessment. The horse was loaded into a horse ambulance trailer not a normal trailer of whitch there was one hitched up to a 4x4 50 metres away, the screens were up so could not see it loaded etc. at a guess the trailer possibly had a internal winch to support a horse with this type of injury, it did turn direction very tight and quick circle when leaving.(maybe elf knows more about horse ambulances)

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I often wonder that too. It must be so painful being transported across a bumpy field in a trailer with a broken leg. I think it’s perhaps because they’re very expensive, too level animals and owners need to make the decision?

stangs

Visit site
We have missed two proper full eventing seasons which means that many horses and riders have not had sufficient opportunity to compete at this level. Our courses in this country are renowned for being more technically challenging than anywhere else.
True, but that should mean more eliminations, more riders retiring, and not there being two dead horses. "Technically challenging" shouldn't mean fatal ffs.