Caroline March

Parrotperson

Visit site
coming from a slightly different perspective here. I know someone who now has no movement below the neck. on a ventilator.

I've had this conversation with them. At times it was very much "I can't do this. I want to die'. But they didn't have the choice. if you choose assisted dying (Switzerland isn't it?) you have to be able to take the drugs yourself. No help from anyone. This person can't feed themselves. So they're as they are. Sometimes ok sometimes not ok.

Everyone should decide for themselves. You cannot put your feelings on anyone else.

Caroline decided what she wanted to do. That was her choice bless her. May she rest in peace.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
coming from a slightly different perspective here. I know someone who now has no movement below the neck. on a ventilator.

I've had this conversation with them. At times it was very much "I can't do this. I want to die'. But they didn't have the choice. if you choose assisted dying (Switzerland isn't it?) you have to be able to take the drugs yourself. No help from anyone. This person can't feed themselves. So they're as they are. Sometimes ok sometimes not ok.

Everyone should decide for themselves. You cannot put your feelings on anyone else.

Caroline decided what she wanted to do. That was her choice bless her. May she rest in peace.

I think I would be prepared to serve time in prison if that person was someone I loved (friend, relative or partner) and they asked me to disconnect them from the machines.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I think I would be prepared to serve time in prison if that person was someone I loved (friend, relative or partner) and they asked me to disconnect them from the machines.
I'm sure the family has had exactly that conversation.

I couldn't do it although I wasn't asked. If it was someone very close to me who knows?

Parrotperson

Visit site
I didn't realise this. In the film Me Before You, he is paralysed from the neck down and went to Dignitas. I thought (assumed?) you just had to be of a sound state of mind!
Mm. I’m sure you have to be able to do it yourself but I could be wrong. Thought I’d read that somewhere. Either way it’s it hard decision for everyone.