Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Moomin1

Visit site
Don't see what's wrong with that last one. Decent English, polite.....and whatever happened to doing someone a good turn?

There's nothing wrong with someone doing a good turn for someone else, but this person wasn't doing a good turn. She was asking to make use of a stranger's facilities free of charge. That's cheeky.

Visit site
One appeared on my feed earlier that was reduced due to time wasters.

16hh 14yo bay tb mare. Perfect for kids coming off of ponies. Sold without tack as it is brand new and has never been used. £1500

If they have never used the tack what are they riding her in?

MileAMinute

Visit site
There's nothing wrong with someone doing a good turn for someone else, but this person wasn't doing a good turn. She was asking to make use of a stranger's facilities free of charge. That's cheeky.

This.

I saw the post too. It was a very cheeky request.
People pay out to use facilities because of the upkeep and the provision of having them in the first place. You wouldn't expect a free horsebox hire for a day, nor a free trek around a farm ride. Why is an arena any different?

Moomin1

Visit site
This.

I saw the post too. It was a very cheeky request.
People pay out to use facilities because of the upkeep and the provision of having them in the first place. You wouldn't expect a free horsebox hire for a day, nor a free trek around a farm ride. Why is an arena any different?

Absolutely. It boils my pee lol!

Liz H

Visit site
Couldn't even watch that to the end - I know it is satirical, but i have actually met morons like this and it makes me want to weep.

Quite agree, couldn't get past first minute, I realise I may be shot down in flames, but would these people treat a " human" injury this way?

Pippity

Visit site
"Looking for someone who will be happy to muck out two other Clydesdales on same loan days. Financial contribution required."

Financial contribution + chores for the share horse, no problem.

No financial contribution + chores for two other horses, no problem.

Financial contribution + chores for two other horses? I can understand why this ad's been up for so long...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
But especially youngsters desperate to ride will do this. At my old yard, a young girl shared a cob and the owner had her doing all the chores for that horse plus her other, so muck outs, catching in etc. The kid eventually gave it up as she felt the owner was taking the mick, we all agreed!

Embo

Visit site
There's one girl who posts on my local page. She's either looking for a horse for full loan (she has no savings and can't afford to buy...) or looking for livery. It's a constant cycle, every few weeks.

This week, it's livery. "Need livery for my new horse coming in next few weeks, can travel up to an hour of X, must be on a bus route" etc...

People post with suggestions of loads of yards, there's always a reason she can't go there.

Next couple of weeks, she'll be looking for another horse as the one she had lined up has fallen through, or turns out she never even went to try it or it's a project or the owner pulls out. She clearly states she's a novice, and has lost 'experience' (I'm pretty sure she means confidence). But then posts she's getting a small, lightweight project TB who's been off work for 2 years...

She's quite infamous on the group as you get the same people commenting about the horse she's chosen, lots of people offering to help her out with work for rides, suggesting a part loan or riding school, offering genuine advice - and of course lots of not-so-nice posts... but it's easy to see why people get angry about it.

It makes me quite sad, this girl obviously has issues/problems and I think it's all just a cry for attention (which she definitely gets!). She clearly has no real intention of taking these horses, she just wants to post about it. Does make you wonder.

Polar Bear9

Visit site
One on KEG looking for someone to come out and shoot some pigeons nesting in their barn. Cue the comments- 'Pigeons have hearts and souls to. All animals deserve life. How would you feel if you built a house and then someone knocked it down and shot your family?!'

DressageCob

Visit site
Just seen one, basically saying I can't afford a horse, can't afford riding lessons, can't afford a part loan, but will someone come and let my horsey teenager ride at weekends. Oh and petrol is expensive so it must be really close to home...

I don't think that one is too bad...a parent trying to get their child what they want when they don't actually have the means. Surely that's just what parents do/are supposed to do?

conniegirl

Visit site
helenalbert, what happened to kids not having everything handed to them on a plate. If you want to ride that desperatly, get a paper round and earn some money, or work for rides at a local riding school etc. If you were that desperate you wouldnt limit it to weekends only, evenings are also good particularly just after school. Petrol may be expensive but there is always the bus, a bike or your own legs to walk! Offer to do chores in exchange etc.

Parents are supposed to teach their child about how the world does not owe them a living and anything they want has to be earned. I hate the sense of entitlement from a lot of teenagers now, and its all down to the parents basicly never saying no.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
helenalbert, what happened to kids not having everything handed to them on a plate. If you want to ride that desperatly, get a paper round and earn some money, or work for rides at a local riding school etc. If you were that desperate you wouldnt limit it to weekends only, evenings are also good particularly just after school. Petrol may be expensive but there is always the bus, a bike or your own legs to walk! Offer to do chores in exchange etc.

Parents are supposed to teach their child about how the world does not owe them a living and anything they want has to be earned. I hate the sense of entitlement from a lot of teenagers now, and its all down to the parents basicly never saying no.

This totally! I had a job at 14 to pay for all my lessons! I cycled 12 miles round trip Saturday, Sunday and every day of the holidays to get to the stables, left home at 5am!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I don't think that one is too bad...a parent trying to get their child what they want when they don't actually have the means. Surely that's just what parents do/are supposed to do?

No, they're not supposed to give their kids everything nor should they get it for free. Riding is expensive, tough. I waited til I was in my 30s to get a horse, because I just couldn't afford it until then. Choose a different hobby!

Grinchmass

Visit site

Parents shouldn't be teaching children go live beyond their means though, or that the world owes them a living. Riding isn't cheap they shouldn't expect others to fund their children's hobbies.

I know there are people out there who will gladly let people ride their horses for free etc, but I just feel as though that add was rather cheeky.

DressageCob

Visit site

I maybe read that differently to you...I had assumed there would be an offer of help in exchange for riding down the line. But also some people just want their horses exercised. I don't see it as having things handed on a plate in those circumstances. We also don't know where they live...I'm not far from North Wales and certainly around where I live there are no buses to go even to the local towns, nevermind to a yard or a village. The area might not be safe to walk or cycle in...we don't know the full story.

I recall when I was younger my parents couldn't afford weekly lessons, or a horse or loan (despite my frequent begging, which I now regret since I now have a greater understanding of economic limitations). My parents tried everything they could to allow me to ride. Yes, there is a sense of teaching a child about reality, but what parent doesn't want to provide for their child? Personally I used to walk the 8 miles to my yard when necessary, to work from 8am til 6pm for my 30 minute lesson, if my parents weren't available to give me a lift.

I don't believe in kids getting things handed to them on a plate. However, I don't see the harm in a parent asking the question. People want horses exercising, teenager wants to ride. That advert has received a number of responses, so clearly there are people out there who want help. I really don't see why it's so terrible to ask whether there is a horse to ride. The child then gets the experience of riding away from a riding school and will hopefully learn something about horse care and ownership, without the ties or pressure which, I think, is far better than buying the kid a horse only for them to lose interest.

Nobody seems to complain about small children, teenagers etc getting a pony handed to them on a plate by well-off parents. Why so much fuss over someone with limited economic means wanting their child to have that experience? At least the child will grow up knowing their parents did whatever was in their power to let them pursue their hobby, despite their means...as I have.

joulsey

Visit site
Saw an ad on FB yesterday for a horse for sale. All of the 10+ photos shown were taken on board of the said horse for sale showing only his ears and the horses hacking in front of it. Really? Not a lot you can go of other than ear conformation, and can't say I know a whole lot about that!

indiat

Visit site
helenalbert, a teenager who cannot afford to be taught to ride is not getting to exercise my horse! This is a dangerous sport and it does require that you spend time and money learning how to do it so you can be safe. And if I have';t got time to exercise my horse, I haven't got time to be teaching a kid how to ride him and certainly not at weekends which is the BEST time to ride for most people.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I saw the FB post from the mum asking on behalf of her teenage daughter. It was actually rather nicely and politely written. She was asking if anyone wanted a stable hand at weekends with 'maybe the odd ride thrown in'.

They didn't sound like scroungers at all to me. The girl had been to a reputable riding school for two years, but had to stop due to finances, and was keen to keep up her horsey fix.

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I thought that it seemed like a perfectly reasonable request :).

joulsey

Visit site
Well I'm glad people didn't have this attitude when I was younger. I have never paid to ride a horse in my 25 years bar from the hacks I went on my holidays.

I've never had enough money for my own horse nor for lessons at a riding school as a child but thankfully I had people around me who were willing to let me look after/graft and eventually ride their horses.

So basically people are saying if you don't have enough money don't bother with the sport/hobby. Well maybe that just about sums up why the horse world is how it is!

indiat

Visit site
I saw the FB post from the mum asking on behalf of her teenage daughter. It was actually rather nicely and politely written. She was asking if anyone wanted a stable hand at weekends with 'maybe the odd ride thrown in'.

They didn't sound like scroungers at all to me. The girl had been to a reputable riding school for two years, but had to stop due to finances, and was keen to keep up her horsey fix.

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I thought that it seemed like a perfectly reasonable request :).[/QUOTE

That is a totally different story to the way it was first presented! I thought the girl couldn't ride at all.

indiat

Visit site
Well I'm glad people didn't have this attitude when I was younger. I have never paid to ride a horse in my 25 years bar from the hacks I went on my holidays.

I've never had enough money for my own horse nor for lessons at a riding school as a child but thankfully I had people around me who were willing to let me look after/graft and eventually ride their horses.

So basically people are saying if you don't have enough money don't bother with the sport/hobby. Well maybe that just about sums up why the horse world is how it is!

I really don't think that asking novice riders to have lessons from a decent instructor when riding your horse is outrageous. Better for the horse, safer for them. And frankly, if I was in the position of looking for someone to ride my horse, I would like to see some commitment. I once needed help with my very sweet mare who was the perfect novice ride as I was heavily pregnant. I offered the chance to a teenager who lived on my street, no money asked, but I did ask she have a regular lesson on her as she had only trekked before. Call me mad, but I don't think someone should ride a horse who has never ridden before or even had a lesson unless they are willing to learn to do it properly and SAFELY for all concerned. No problem, said the mum, but I am not driving her up there, I haven't got the time. So they were offered the perfect first horse for their horse-mad child, a horse that was kept at full livery so no jobs, nowt but couldn't stir themselves for a 10 minute journey in the car? But of course, they still wanted their daughter to have my horse and so expect me to do it, even though I explained that I needed time to rest, as I was going through a vile pregnancy. Too many people these days looking for something for nothing and personally, I think asking for some kind of commitment, either financially or time-wise is a good way of sorting out good sharers from the bad. And I do think novices should invest some money in learning to ride well in case they get into trouble in traffic. Roads are much busier these days. If you don't have the money to learn to be safe then yes, find another hobby!

ETS - I bet these novice riders with no money for lessons would be the first to sue you if they had an accident! There was less of that years ago was well!

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
I really don't think that asking novice riders to have lessons from a decent instructor when riding your horse is outrageous. Better for the horse, safer for them. And frankly, if I was in the position of looking for someone to ride my horse, I would like to see some commitment. I once needed help with my very sweet mare who was the perfect novice ride as I was heavily pregnant. I offered the chance to a teenager who lived on my street, no money asked, but I did ask she have a regular lesson on her as she had only trekked before. Call me mad, but I don't think someone should ride a horse who has never ridden before or even had a lesson unless they are willing to learn to do it properly and SAFELY for all concerned. No problem, said the mum, but I am not driving her up there, I haven't got the time. So they were offered the perfect first horse for their horse-mad child, a horse that was kept at full livery so no jobs, nowt but couldn't stir themselves for a 10 minute journey in the car? But of course, they still wanted their daughter to have my horse and so expect me to do it, even though I explained that I needed time to rest, as I was going through a vile pregnancy. Too many people these days looking for something for nothing and personally, I think asking for some kind of commitment, either financially or time-wise is a good way of sorting out good sharers from the bad. And I do think novices should invest some money in learning to ride well in case they get into trouble in traffic. Roads are much busier these days. If you don't have the money to learn to be safe then yes, find another hobby!

ETS - I bet these novice riders with no money for lessons would be the first to sue you if they had an accident! There was less of that years ago was well!
I came from a no horsey background and was very lucky when I was about 12 that I started riding someones naughty pony, I couldn't really ride but I was keen. From that I started riding other ponies for other people, mucked out 6 after school twice a week and at weekends in return for my 'own' pony. I expected to work for rides and I did, and made my way up riding better ponies.
When my children got there ponies we 'shared' one with and older child, she got to ride and go to shows in return for helping me take them to PC. Some of the kids were great, but one particular mother was appalling, I took her daughter to PC camp for three days with hardly a thank you.
There seems to be a misconception that they are doing us a favour where as in reality they are being allowed access to a really good safe pony with and adult that will make sure that they are safe in return for a small amount of mucking out. Its true that as soon as you ask the parents to supervise their children they are not interested. One wanted to ride my pony, young beginner, when I told the mother although the pony was safe she would have to do all the work and get her daughter insured I did not hear from her again.