Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I actually get confused by the ads (often appearing on the BS facebook page...) that state their horse for sale is basically the perfect horse that everyone is looking for - jumps 1.30m etc. etc. but its priced at £2k. If it was THAT amazing, why the hell is it only priced at £2k?! Clearly there is something they're not telling us in the advert so it just screams dishonest to me.

But hey ho, maybe I'm too honest - I advertised via FB my warmblood for permanent loan stating he had an unknown lameness (had all vet checks to no avail) and was mechanically unsound but still loved to go out hacking (walk and a little trot) as the lameness remained unchanged and then he would have made an excellent companion. The amount of people I had message me saying "Would he be up to jumping" or "could he do dressage" etc. was ridiculous. He's now retired and ending his days with me! Some (well a lot in the horse world) are mad!

Last edited:

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I keep seeing someone (well two sisters) advertising on the BSJA page for horses to compete or schooling livery from £20pw. Riders have jumped to fox (they havnt and are about 12). This annoys me as its hard to make a living doing this job without 12 year old kids advertising at an impossible price.

I have seen this as well. Apart from being illegal (can't get business insurance) it's ridiculous to expect someone to pay that price and could be dangerous for them. From what I can see they have been unable to show a BS record or even any photos at the height they claim that aren't of someone else

Luci07

Visit site
Well you lot who think £500 is not enough money...there's a proven showjumper out of Cruising and cavalier advertised next to this page.... For £10.

Yup, guess someone missed off a few 000's!

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I put up an advert for a sharer for 2 horses. Offered as much riding as they wanted as long as the horse gets a day off during the week sometime. one a novice ride and one not. One that can hunt show and pretty much do anything and the other not to jump but can do anything else. I even put on the advert that if the rider wanted they could take the horse to some competitions. Asked 30p/m and nothing additional except no under 16s and the rider must have insurance. I got inundated with replies from children and people wanting me to pay them up to 35 per day to do anything with them. I politely removed the advert and got quite a bit of abuse for apparently bein.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
the ones that amuse me are the dealers who advertise on fb. Each horse is the 'most amazing' 'never find another one like this' 'one in a million' 'absolute saint' and 'can't fault him/her' Okay i accept that the horses are probably nice but every single one of them cant be the worlds best horse, they have to have some faults at least. Just makes the dealer seem unprofessional, especially when it's all in capslock!

Redders

Visit site
After reading these I had to join, and I saw an advert for some ariat boots and someone commented what size are they and would you consider lwvtb- did I read it wrong or were they asking if the seller would loan with view to buy for a pair of boots?!

marmalade76

Visit site
Oh, she's off to the stallion show as she's going to breed an eventer, I assume this is from the thoroughbred she rescued from gypsies? The one that kicks trailers to bits but she'd like people to give her a lift please..?

No, that one she bought from Joanne Donnelly (who is not a gypsy) of Kayte Farm so not rescued at all.

Tern

Visit site
No, that one she bought from Joanne Donnelly (who is not a gypsy) of Kayte Farm so not rescued at all.

If she was going to breed an eventer I would have thought she wouldn't use JD's mare and use this fancy new warmblood she has. :rolleyes: :confused: Next she'll be asking for step by step instructions on how to back a youngster.. And she'll be doing at a 2 years old. :p

Dizzle

Visit site
Today's post is looking for a purple show jacket, heaven flipping help us!!

I didn't realise she'd bought a warmblood, I thought she was after a New Forest pony for her brother..?

Stormynight

Visit site
Preloved is just as bad.

I fell over an ad the other day: 15.1 24yo gelding, had him for 17 years but no longer have time for him. Make good companion. 300.

Vile, really.

Nosey

Visit site
Agree re preloved too as I don't do facebook. Saddest ones are the 10 week old puppies being rehomed for various reasons (excuses) so sad seeing their little faces & to think they'll have left their mums & only known current home for a week or 2 before being ditched :-(

Bertolie

Visit site
Today's post is looking for a purple show jacket, heaven flipping help us!!

I didn't realise she'd bought a warmblood, I thought she was after a New Forest pony for her brother..?

Think I may know who you are talking about if the post is on GHR! If it's the same person, she is supposed to be coming to my yard on Monday to buy a bareback pad as she wants to try a different approach with her mare.

conniegirl

Visit site
It realy annoys me when I type out an advert for loads of used rugs, describe sizes, make, condition and price for each one of about 30 good quality (Rambo, PE etc) rugs mainly 5ft6 and 6ft with a few smaller ones and then get a ton of replies asking do I have any 6ft9 or 7ft or do I have a perticular rug in a different colour or with a neck!
Or asking if I will I sell them a lovely hw full neck Rambo turnout that had just come back from the cleaners, for £10 including postage! I can't even post it for that much!
Realy people are thick! If I had them for sale I would advertise them, I'm not a tackshop and I'm not going to give away good quality rugs for nothing or make a loss on them

Tern

Visit site
Think I may know who you are talking about if the post is on GHR! If it's the same person, she is supposed to be coming to my yard on Monday to buy a bareback pad as she wants to try a different approach with her mare.

Yes, same person!! :p

Yeah she bought a KWPN of some sort I believe Dizzle.. a 5 year old.. :D Purple show jacket.. interesting. :D :D

sasquatch

Visit site
Actually I have, I only had my first pony when I was 13 and I saved up very hard for that pony and worked very hard to keep her. The girl in question is very well known for her cheeky comments and is the sort that regularly posts on horses for sale asking if she can have them for free. Not sure what kind of person you think I am but nothing has every fell in to my lap and nothing has come easy in the slightest! I actually regularly let others ride my horses (under supervision) that are not lucky enough to have them, however I keep that limited to friends who talk to me other than to ask if they can have my horse. Sorry to have offended you but as you may notice, I said i was very polite in my replies and not sure what else I am supposed to do when my horses are far from riding school plods, didn't want to be responsible for killing someone really...

I actually find this quite unfair, how do you know what her riding is like if all you've seen are photo and how do you know every horse she rides is a plod?

I know for a fact if a lot of people saw my riding, I'd probably be torn apart and have had comments made that I am a total novice/know nothing/sit there like a sack of spuds despite having a horse who is extremely hard work but assumed 'easy' as he's a cob by those who have only ever seen photos of him. I rode in a RS until last year, and rode a whole range of horses from their 'plods' to youngsters who liked to buck when they were asked to do something new or that they found hard to very well schooled, seasoned schoolmasters. And there was definitely a point about 2/3 years ago I was starting to feel ready to move on from the RS and their horses and start doing more outside of just a lesson (one of the reasons I stayed was due to being able to ride a fantastic young horse who I adored - and whilst I learnt much from him I still felt like it was time to move on, and once he had sold that was just cemented further)

Yes, the constant asking 'can I ride your horse?' gets annoying, but imo, have you thought this girl maybe wants to move on from the RS and do more than what her lessons offer, or that lessons are holding her back?

I have had people ask if they can ride my horse, and have let them. I've always been there to watch, and if they've definitely been unable to manage him I've always been able to cut it short after a walk/trot.

Tbh I would find a horse-mad 13 year old desperate for a horse of her own or to learn more or who wants to do more than just plod about in her lessons a lot easier to deal with than some freeloaders out there, and would be less likely to judge and more likely to point the 13 year old in a better direction and tell her that my horse would be too much for her and she could go to a different/better RS, or where she could look for a share or loan pony that would be suitable, or even organisations she could join where she could learn/spend more time with horses to see if that would keep her happy. I'd also let her know to stop asking for free horses, and instead look for a share/loan she would 100% be capable of handling, and instructor to go with it.

Or maybe that's just me, I do have a few girls who ask me about livery/costs of a horse/what I'm doing with mine every week and it does get annoying, but they're horse mad and there is no harm with saying 'instead of getting your own horse right now, why don't you look for a share or a loan so you can get used to the difference between being at a RS and having a horse you have to look after by yourself'

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
I actually find this quite unfair, how do you know what her riding is like if all you've seen are photo and how do you know every horse she rides is a plod?

I know for a fact if a lot of people saw my riding, I'd probably be torn apart and have had comments made that I am a total novice/know nothing/sit there like a sack of spuds despite having a horse who is extremely hard work but assumed 'easy' as he's a cob by those who have only ever seen photos of him. I rode in a RS until last year, and rode a whole range of horses from their 'plods' to youngsters who liked to buck when they were asked to do something new or that they found hard to very well schooled, seasoned schoolmasters. And there was definitely a point about 2/3 years ago I was starting to feel ready to move on from the RS and their horses and start doing more outside of just a lesson (one of the reasons I stayed was due to being able to ride a fantastic young horse who I adored - and whilst I learnt much from him I still felt like it was time to move on, and once he had sold that was just cemented further)

Yes, the constant asking 'can I ride your horse?' gets annoying, but imo, have you thought this girl maybe wants to move on from the RS and do more than what her lessons offer, or that lessons are holding her back?

I have had people ask if they can ride my horse, and have let them. I've always been there to watch, and if they've definitely been unable to manage him I've always been able to cut it short after a walk/trot.

Tbh I would find a horse-mad 13 year old desperate for a horse of her own or to learn more or who wants to do more than just plod about in her lessons a lot easier to deal with than some freeloaders out there, and would be less likely to judge and more likely to point the 13 year old in a better direction and tell her that my horse would be too much for her and she could go to a different/better RS, or where she could look for a share or loan pony that would be suitable, or even organisations she could join where she could learn/spend more time with horses to see if that would keep her happy. I'd also let her know to stop asking for free horses, and instead look for a share/loan she would 100% be capable of handling, and instructor to go with it.

Or maybe that's just me, I do have a few girls who ask me about livery/costs of a horse/what I'm doing with mine every week and it does get annoying, but they're horse mad and there is no harm with saying 'instead of getting your own horse right now, why don't you look for a share or a loan so you can get used to the difference between being at a RS and having a horse you have to look after by yourself'

It is not her responsibility...the information is out there if she really wants it

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
It is not her responsibility...the information is out there if she really wants it

Absolutely. As a pony-less pony-mad teenager I spent all my time investigating ways of spending time riding and generally learning about horses - and that was well before the days of Facebook. I did get the opportunity to ride some lovely horses but the expectation was that I should work hard around the stable and yard - something I did not resent at all.

I would be very dubious about letting anyone who posted on FB in this manner ride either of my two ponies. Unfortunately things are much too litigious these days and some people would be only too keen to try and sue if anything went wrong.

sasquatch

Visit site

A lot of the time 13 year old girls, especially if not from horsey families, don't know where to look for it - I certainly didn't know where to look at 13. I'd much rather tell a 13 year old girl where else they can go to learn more/ride more in a safe environment than be rude and watch them end up completely overhorsed and possibly hurt because someone has let them take on a mad 'free to good home' horse. On top of that, by telling them where to look for a share pony/loan pony/riding club that those horseless can still benefit from, I find a lot of the 'can I ride your horse?' and similar messages stop.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site

Absolutely. As a pony-less pony-mad teenager I spent all my time investigating ways of spending time riding and generally learning about horses - and that was well before the days of Facebook. I did get the opportunity to ride some lovely horses but the expectation was that I should work hard around the stable and yard - something I did not resent at all.

I would be very dubious about letting anyone who posted on FB in this manner ride either of my two ponies. Unfortunately things are much too litigious these days and some people would be only too keen to try and sue if anything went wrong.

Agree with both of those above ^.

Tbh I don't believe that a 13 year-old would be incapable of some simple google searches. It's not exactly hard! They know where they can find info but they're too bloody lazy to go looking for it and expect it to be presented to them on an easy to understand platter.

And brightly coloured show jackets (Animo etc.) should be banned. Hideous things.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Well this is one off preloved

Recently got a foal due to its mothers death and in need of feed bucket, head coller,lead rope...........n other ......

If the mare has died its sad but if you need small items like this go to the nearest tackshop. If it was someone experienced surely they'd have some buckets & leadropes at hand. Poor foal thats all l can say.

Luci07

Visit site
A lot of the time 13 year old girls, especially if not from horsey families, don't know where to look for it - I certainly didn't know where to look at 13. I'd much rather tell a 13 year old girl where else they can go to learn more/ride more in a safe environment than be rude and watch them end up completely overhorsed and possibly hurt because someone has let them take on a mad 'free to good home' horse. On top of that, by telling them where to look for a share pony/loan pony/riding club that those horseless can still benefit from, I find a lot of the 'can I ride your horse?' and similar messages stop.

My teenage years are a long way behind me. My stepfather and mother were not in the tiniest bit interested in anything equine and viewed this as an unhealthy obsession I needed to grow out of. I worked as soon as I hit 13 to pay for lessons, I did a deal with a nearby neighbour to work for lessons, I. Got a weekend job mucking out at a stud and got to ride the hunter as well. So I don't agree that it's not possible to find something if you are keen enough and would say it's considerably easier nowadays.

Btw, my mother still views my horses as an unhealthy obsession...!!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I appreciate your views, but I actually know the girl and what her standard of riding is like as I have seen her ride, and know the riding school she sometimes attends. I made it clear in my other post that I DO let other ride my horses, even if it is just in walk or trot, they are perfectly safe under my supervision however this girl wants to take my horses out xc and hacking on her own, and she would get killed- not to mention how much it would upset my poor horses! And I value their welfare very highly, I've worked very hard on them to get them where they are now. The people who ride my horses are limited to friends or children of friends who speak to me other than to try and ride my horses.

Last edited:

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I saw an advert today looking for someone to muck out their 7 horses in exchange for riding one horse. It was obviously a nice show horse but still, no payment just getting to ride this one horse. Everyone was commenting on what a fantastic opportunity this is. Is it just me who thinks this is taking the p*** to the extreme?! Or did I miss something?

Kadastorm

Visit site
I saw an advert today looking for someone to muck out their 7 horses in exchange for riding one horse. It was obviously a nice show horse but still, no payment just getting to ride this one horse. Everyone was commenting on what a fantastic opportunity this is. Is it just me who thinks this is taking the p*** to the extreme?! Or did I miss something?

Was this on kent equestrian grapevine and riding an Arab? If so, the person would get great tuition and experience, unfortunately I couldn't afford to do it without payment but there are many who will. Would be a great opportunity for someone!

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Was this on kent equestrian grapevine and riding an Arab? If so, the person would get great tuition and experience, unfortunately I couldn't afford to do it without payment but there are many who will. Would be a great opportunity for someone!

It was yes. I'm sure that they would get great experience but still, mucking out 7 is a lot in order to get one ride, as nice as that ride may be. Doing 7 is a full time job, I don't understand why anyone would do this just to get a ride (classy as it may be). I don't mean this to be offensive at all, I just genuinely don't understand why anyone would think this was a good deal?

Polar Bear9

Visit site

It was yes. I'm sure that they would get great experience but still, mucking out 7 is a lot in order to get one ride, as nice as that ride may be. Doing 7 is a full time job, I don't understand why anyone would do this just to get a ride (classy as it may be) and some tuition. I don't mean this to be offensive at all, I just genuinely don't understand why anyone would think this was a good deal?