Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Leo Walker

Visit site
just mucking out 7 isnt a full time job! Full care is, but not just the boxes. Theres also another thread running on here at the minute about a lesson costing £67. Wouldnt be suitable for me, but might be a good opportunity for someone?

conniegirl

Visit site
Just spotted one: 'Looking for headcollars 1 pony and 1 cob (cheap)'

Erm, a nylon headcollar at a tack shop is only a few pound. It is worrying!

Have you bought a head collar recently? I went to a fairly cheap tack shop close to me today as lout snapped his head collar yesterday. The cheapest head collar they had was £23! I object to paying £23 for some thing that will be sludge brown tommorow

Kadastorm

Visit site
It was yes. I'm sure that they would get great experience but still, mucking out 7 is a lot in order to get one ride, as nice as that ride may be. Doing 7 is a full time job, I don't understand why anyone would do this just to get a ride (classy as it may be) and some tuition. I don't mean this to be offensive at all, I just genuinely don't understand why anyone would think this was a good deal?

No I know, it is cheeky but for someone who may be doing a college course or something, it may offer good experience. Personally I wouldn't do it as I don't have the time to work without pay, especially mucking out 7. but the lady is very good and does very well in the showing world so there are pros and cons and it may work for someone, just not most of us!

MileAMinute

Visit site
Have you bought a head collar recently? I went to a fairly cheap tack shop close to me today as lout snapped his head collar yesterday. The cheapest head collar they had was £23! I object to paying £23 for some thing that will be sludge brown tommorow

Yeah, I bought a Shires one for £7 a couple of months ago. There is a tack shop near me that has similar priced headcollars to yours but like you I won't justify that cost!

hotair

Visit site
There's a post on my local one wanting a 13.2hh + must be broken to ride suitable for a novice and bombproof in traffic.. Oh and must be free to a good home.

Some things you see on them are unbelievable but some of it does give a good giggle other things are just sad for the poor horses and ponies!

Tern

Visit site

Was about to say the same, Countrywide's cheapest headcollar online for a HORSE (not foal) that is not in clearance sale is 20 quid!

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
This thread prompted me to have a quick view of Preloved. Someone is advertising a mare for sale as companion or broodmare because she has had 'a typical myoapathy'. Made me lol anyway.

Arzada

Visit site
It was yes. I'm sure that they would get great experience but still, mucking out 7 is a lot in order to get one ride, as nice as that ride may be. Doing 7 is a full time job, I don't understand why anyone would do this just to get a ride (classy as it may be) and some tuition. I don't mean this to be offensive at all, I just genuinely don't understand why anyone would think this was a good deal?
I used to work Monday to Friday 37 hours in an office. On Saturday and Sunday I worked 7am to 6pm (sometimes later) on a yard plus paid yard for a lesson aiming for qualifications. Yard was 30 minutes drive from home so that added an hour per day. I did this for a year. So mucking out 7 boxes for a quality ride with good tuition seems a bargain!

Moomin1

Visit site

Bloomin heck! I am not sure what tack shops you get your stuff from but I never spend over a tenner on a headcollar! :O

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I used to work Monday to Friday 37 hours in an office. On Saturday and Sunday I worked 7am to 6pm (sometimes later) on a yard plus paid yard for a lesson aiming for qualifications. Yard was 30 minutes drive from home so that added an hour per day. I did this for a year. So mucking out 7 boxes for a quality ride with good tuition seems a bargain!

To be honest... If you did that for free I think you're mad :) In the nicest possible way. My sister used to do 6 horses 5 days a week, she got £350 a month plus luxury accommodation, livery for her own horse, plenty of riding on some very nice horses and tuition. I know that's a very good deal for the horse world but still. I just don't understand how people can work like this, you need enough money to eat at least!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I have two tack shops locally, one has basic standard shires headcollars for about £9 (i think) , while the other one only sells john whitaker headcollars or leather ones so they start from £25. depends on what the shop stocks i suppose ! Wouldn't pay £25 for one I was going to drop in the muddy field and probably forget until I find it the next day, but it's pretty simple to shop online for cheaper ones. The saddle selling online makes me wince when people ask things such as "would it fit a 15hh tb?" and then the seller tells them it will! how the hell do they know that it will fit that particular horse? fine if you want to buy a saddle online based on what you already know your horse fits to, but "fitting" online, hmm thats a bit different

Last edited:

Arzada

Visit site
To be honest... If you did that for free I think you're mad :) In the nicest possible way. My sister used to do 6 horses 5 days a week, she got £350 a month plus luxury accommodation, livery for her own horse, plenty of riding on some very nice horses and tuition. I know that's a very good deal for the horse world but still. I just don't understand how people can work like this, you need enough money to eat at least!
I came to my senses and then, like your sister, got a fab well-paid job with horses! (I had enough money because I spent Monday to Friday in an office! And the other two days keeping fit on a yard! Nuts now I think about it!

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
Our local tack shop has their own brand headcollars for about 3.50 and their value ones are a couple of pounds. The colour fades but they do the job.

I used to muck out 15 at my old riding school so that I could ride. In winter we had 22 in. Before I left we couldn't even get the kids to do one stable each without whining :/

Spiritedly

Visit site
I saw an ad a couple weeks of months ago from someone wanting racing tack as they were going to start racing their TB, they have now asked for a dressage and jumping saddle....as the TB is now going to event instead....someone said they had a jumping one so the girl then asked if she could pay for it in installments ...the seller hadn't even mentioned a price. �� The best bit is she didn't put in her ad what size saddle she wanted and she didn't ask the person who replied what size saddle they were selling! ��

Dizzy socks

Visit site
A lot of the time 13 year old girls, especially if not from horsey families, don't know where to look for it - I certainly didn't know where to look at 13. I'd much rather tell a 13 year old girl where else they can go to learn more/ride more in a safe environment than be rude and watch them end up completely overhorsed and possibly hurt because someone has let them take on a mad 'free to good home' horse. On top of that, by telling them where to look for a share pony/loan pony/riding club that those horseless can still benefit from, I find a lot of the 'can I ride your horse?' and similar messages stop.

Just popping in to say - I think 13 year olds can/should be perfectly capable of investigating other options with regards to working for rides, etc. I'm 15 - 13 was not long ago, and there is absoloutely no way - and I mean not even a spark in space - that I'd message someone I didn't know, asking to ride their horse.
That seems highly unreasonable, and likely to put someone in a very uncomfortable position.
Just no, I don't think that's the way to go.

Dunlin

Visit site
Todays collection (just 1 days worth);

hey, DONT STOP READING I AM 12 YEARS OLD BUT....................... i love horses and am really experienced, i cn clean tack, paint fences, walk and sit trotting. how much does your apprentise scheme pay and do i get my own horse to ride and take to shows?

Wanted 12-12.2hh pony that can jump 1.10 track and win every outing. Good to do in every way, no oldies, perfect health etc, suitable for mother/daughter for SJ, hacking and hunting. Can pay up to £200 and willing to travel up to 15 miles from *postcode*.

Hi there, your chaps for sale have been on there for 2 days now with no interest. I'll take them off your hands for free if you can deliver them to me or post at your cost.

To end on a positive note, the funniest one which had me creased up was posted back in the spring this year.

"FREE TO HUNGRY EQUINE, OVER 5,000 CARROTS"

The person was advertising packets of carrot seeds!!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Haha haha that is hilarious. Surely after all that time you were tempted? She didn't state 'no timewasters' so you could of excited her for a few days you were going to buy it ;-)

Todays collection (just 1 days worth);

hey, DONT STOP READING I AM 12 YEARS OLD BUT....................... i love horses and am really experienced, i cn clean tack, paint fences, walk and sit trotting. how much does your apprentise scheme pay and do i get my own horse to ride and take to shows?

Wanted 12-12.2hh pony that can jump 1.10 track and win every outing. Good to do in every way, no oldies, perfect health etc, suitable for mother/daughter for SJ, hacking and hunting. Can pay up to £200 and willing to travel up to 15 miles from *postcode*.

Hi there, your chaps for sale have been on there for 2 days now with no interest. I'll take them off your hands for free if you can deliver them to me or post at your cost.

To end on a positive note, the funniest one which had me creased up was posted back in the spring this year.

"FREE TO HUNGRY EQUINE, OVER 5,000 CARROTS"

The person was advertising packets of carrot seeds!!

This far better than any on our local pages. What a bunch of numties

Rachelashleigh

www.fullcyclesalvage.co.uk
One of the local pages some young lad who kept his horse in his front yard (very poor looking 3yo that rode and drove) wanted to swop for a ps3 or bmx!!!!!!! I messaged admin asking they were seriously letting children sell horses, one lad replied not stereotyping but had his joggy bottoms tucked in his sock n a can of strongbrew in his hand asked how fast "it" went. When I replied to post I got loads of his mates having a go saying note wrong with keeping horses in front gardens, one if his mates profiles was a trotter that had over strikes and had blood pouring down its fetlock. In end I just put a photo of a rabbit and said these live in gardens.

WindyStacks

Visit site
I find them fascinating, ESPECIALLY the for sale ads of horses you know. The ponies frequently grow a hand in print and jump 70cm higher (no typo!).

"God loves a trier" clearly applies to asking prices.

£70/month apparently it costs to keep a horse. I expressed deep admiration when that covers only insurance, BHS subs, wormers and a dent in shoeing. "How much is your insurance and which wormer are you using" I innocently asked...

Also managed to anger some dolt offering part-loan (nearly 200/m) for old mare couldn't be ridden but loved being groomed. Suggested she was searching for someone to pay her retirement livery. Apparently I didn't know anything about her.

Ps have joined Kent grapevine - sounds like excellent entertainment!

TT55

Visit site
In response to a couple of much earlier posts that i cant find back.

I knew a girl that advertised her horse for loan over the winter, but she "must have it back by 1st April'. Said horse must also be stabled at night and out in the day... not an unusual request i know, except that she would never put it in a stable herself over winter...

And as for people wanting someone to break or school their horse for free, funnily enough this is what i did a couple of years ago. I didnt have my own horse and couldnt get one due to working away. The only local riding school made you commit to weekly lessons (weird), which i also couldnt do due to aforementioned working away. So I put an ad on the internet and took a few opportunities for schooling/ rebacking etc. Unfortunately i hit the deck one to many times so stopped doing it, but people who do this exist :)

Moomin1

Visit site
I've just seen one asking someone to put a gate back on it's hinges as the person is rubbish at DIY. They apparently are skint after xmas so have offered payment in the form of a 'jumping lesson' on a 16.2hh 'not novice ride' (this person is not a qualified instructor), an 'own a pony day' involving catching/grooming and hacking on the lanes, and transport to a competition/help at the competition. Really???