Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

DrSeuss

Visit site
This thread is making me nervous! I'm looking for my first horse and now I'm worried I'm going to get taken in by a dodgy seller and end up buying one that has secret rodeo aspirations, hidden health problems, and every vice going. :oops:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Just as this thread is resurrected hey presto
Up pops this...

“Let down again ?
Was supposed to be getting a Connemara of this women as soon as her daughter got her new pony as she was let down but we went to message her to see how this horse is doing and she blocked us.. so wants again we are looking for a new horse! Please no more let downs it isn’t fare....

I’m looking for a pony between 13hh - 14.1hh any breed must be broken in nothing too young. Want something to have fun on and be able to go exploring jumping over logs and just have fun! I want something fun but not naughty. Will travel atleast 2 hours to get but that’s max as was let down when we arrived to pick up the first horse. Mare or gelding and must be good with goats as there’s around 5 goats that go in the same field with the horses in the day also there’s other horses in the field so must be good with other horses too.... please pm me for more info.

The stable is ready with bedding all ready In, we haven’t got a saddle as the other pony was supposed to come with one + other stuff...

Also they will be spoilt rotten ?”

Budget £400

So they're looking for a horse which must be goat proof, that's a requirement I haven't heard before.

Hollychops

Visit site
This thread is making me nervous! I'm looking for my first horse and now I'm worried I'm going to get taken in by a dodgy seller and end up buying one that has secret rodeo aspirations, hidden health problems, and every vice going. :oops:

Google is your friend! I have been looking for a while and have been saved from a couple of near misses thanks to google. Google both owner and horse, its amazing what you can find out!

Snowfilly

Visit site
So they're looking for a horse which must be goat proof, that's a requirement I haven't heard before.

I once had someone ask if a pony was good with ducks and chickens as she had flocks of both roaming around the yard. I said he’d been known to chase dogs and frequently charged pheasants and she agreed it wouldn’t be worth coming to see him as he’d probably kill her chickens.

Goats are not something I expect most horses have ever seen and that’s the least weird bit of that advert!

smolmaus

Visit site
I've read the whole thing over the last two days, counting this as research for the future. Thanks EOAS for the necromancy!

Did just spot an ad for a 9yo gelding with "no breeders please"

silv

Visit site
I once had someone ask if a pony was good with ducks and chickens as she had flocks of both roaming around the yard. I said he’d been known to chase dogs and frequently charged pheasants and she agreed it wouldn’t be worth coming to see him as he’d probably kill her chickens.

Goats are not something I expect most horses have ever seen and that’s the least weird bit of that advert!

That’s a question I always ask as my chickens and dogs are frequently around my horses feet especially at feed time. I couldn’t have a chicken or dog intolerant horse here.

Ish2020

Visit site
People wanting loans with unrealistic expectations or people wanting very cheap horses with unrealistic expectations. Facebook has shut down a lot of the big Horse for sale groups horse in recent weeks. In once sense I can understand why people think that way since horses are so expensive.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I want people to notice us

This would stop me selling to them. This kind of attitude often comes from people who will dump them the moment fall off or the horse gets ill.

I had an extremely pretty BE90 mare for sale once and as the viewers were walking away I heard the mother say to the child she was for 'won't xyz and abc at the yard be jealous when they see her'.

When they rang later to confirm they wanted her and arrange a vetting, she had somehow been sold in the meantime :) I wanted buyers who wanted her because she was lovely, and talented, not because they thought she would make them look good.

Ish2020

Visit site
I found this today

LOOKING ❌
im looking for a black and white cob 12.2hh-13.2hh
im looking for it to suit a 6 year old child to have as a best friend and to ride around on the road and in an arena the odd time .
10* home waits
but very small budget
thank u:)

[139672]

Visit site
A FB friend of mine, no experience of horses, shared a ‘cute’ video of two young kids driving a pony in a lightweight racing type cart. The poor little pony, looked like a miniature and only looked about a year old. Broke my heart seeing that. ?. Makes me so sad that people can be so cruel and/or ignorant.

Circe2

Visit site
Anyone who doesn't show up and take the horse then and there after asking one question is a time waster. I've been told of time wasters and it was because they spent two days asking qu on fb before deciding The horse wasn't suitable. How can that be a time waster?! A lot seem to think you should just take a horse cause they say so!

I’ve only just finished horse-hunting, and made a conscious decision to rule out the horses in any ads/posts/from dealers mentioning “time wasters”. Which turns out being almost all of them!

Ended up buying a wonderful boy (though not the entirely fully fledged dressage horse I was hoping/had budgeted for) off a family friend, as I just couldn’t abide getting involved in all the aggro out there. It just didn’t feel right giving those odious people my hard-earned money, and I felt like they might very well end up press-ganging me into buying a horse that was completely wrong!

That said, something must be driving the “no time waster” trend, so I’m not sure all buyers are completely innocent. However, way to scare off anyone genuine and reasonable!

Visit site
Just as this thread is resurrected hey presto
Up pops this...

“Let down again ?
Was supposed to be getting a Connemara of this women as soon as her daughter got her new pony as she was let down but we went to message her to see how this horse is doing and she blocked us.. so wants again we are looking for a new horse! Please no more let downs it isn’t fare....

I’m looking for a pony between 13hh - 14.1hh any breed must be broken in nothing too young. Want something to have fun on and be able to go exploring jumping over logs and just have fun! I want something fun but not naughty. Will travel atleast 2 hours to get but that’s max as was let down when we arrived to pick up the first horse. Mare or gelding and must be good with goats as there’s around 5 goats that go in the same field with the horses in the day also there’s other horses in the field so must be good with other horses too.... please pm me for more info.

The stable is ready with bedding all ready In, we haven’t got a saddle as the other pony was supposed to come with one + other stuff...

Also they will be spoilt rotten ?”

Budget £400
yes I saw that one- chit chat and tack am I right?

Visit site
I’ve only just finished horse-hunting, and made a conscious decision to rule out the horses in any ads/posts/from dealers mentioning “time wasters”. Which turns out being almost all of them!

Ended up buying a wonderful boy (though not the entirely fully fledged dressage horse I was hoping/had budgeted for) off a family friend, as I just couldn’t abide getting involved in all the aggro out there. It just didn’t feel right giving those odious people my hard-earned money, and I felt like they might very well end up press-ganging me into buying a horse that was completely wrong!

That said, something must be driving the “no time waster” trend, so I’m not sure all buyers are completely innocent. However, way to scare off anyone genuine and reasonable!

There have been a lot of bored people and joy riders the last couple of months!

P.forpony

Visit site
yes I saw that one- chit chat and tack am I right?

I think by the looks of things it ended up on multiple pages, I saw it on a connie page where there was an interesting variety of replies the kindest pointing out that she still wouldn’t get what she was looking for if she added another 0 ?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Saw an advert warning not to buy from a specific riding school. No vetting mentioned in their tale. A good reminder that people selling horses do sometimes lie/withhold information and that having a vetting with bloods taken is important.

Our vet contacted his old one and was astonished at the long ongoing history of lameness and issues. He had a large abscess on one of his fronts in the past which caused a fracture and he was box rested for 12 months. Then he went very lame on both hind legs, the vet advised more investigation but they declined and put him on bute!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Not on Facebook but Preloved-

An advert that essentially boils down to "looking for someone to restart my horse for free". The horse "broncs" and seems to have injured the rider in the past. The horse is also described as "can be a nightmare".

Really sounds like someone who needs professional help but isn't willing to pay for it.

Steerpike

Visit site
Spotted this on a local FB page, why do people not want to pay a fair amount for horsebox hire??

Looking for horsebox hire around ******* that doesn’t cost the earth!
My current horsebox hire has closed down.
Anything that allows part day hire at weekends for £50/£60?? ???

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Spotted this on a local FB page, why do people not want to pay a fair amount for horsebox hire??

Looking for horsebox hire around ******* that doesn’t cost the earth!
My current horsebox hire has closed down.
Anything that allows part day hire at weekends for £50/£60?? ???

I'm guessing a reason for why their previous horsebox hire had to close down, could perhaps be because they didn't charge enough to make it go round?