Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Birker2020

Visit site
15.2hh Thoroughbred Riding Gelding
15.2hh TB gelding 4 years old. Up to date with vacs, teeth, good to catch. Just been used as a hacker so good in traffic.
Reason for selling, he is too grumpy in the stable for elderly owner. Quick hassle free sale required ASAP.
Price: £800

Phone:
01797 XXXXXXReveal Number

Grumpy 4 year old a that price ??? Anyone on here interested (on dragon driving)
IMHO if he's grumpy there is more than likely a physical problem (ulcers or joint issues possibly) and that is why he is unhappy so you are just opening yourself up for potential issues and a lot of potential vet intervention.

Birker2020

Visit site
Any one on Horses and Ponies Ireland will have seen a 35 year old for sale as a companion yesterday. Apparently 'home is more important than price' so that's nice? Hoping it was a typo but the horse did look properly old.
For goodness sake, just put it to sleep. How can anyone do that is beyond me. To know my horse is safe and I can guarantee his future and know he won't be passed from pillar to post would mean more to me than a few quid.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Several posts keep popping up locally from young girls needing riding time and photo evidence for college courses. I'm not sure if it's lack of knowledge of the horse world but they all want to ride for nothing - not even in exchange for jobs around the yard. They basically want a free lesson on someone's horse with mummy coming along as photographer. One is 'very' experienced as they can walk AND trot!!

maya2008

Visit site
Several posts keep popping up locally from young girls needing riding time and photo evidence for college courses. I'm not sure if it's lack of knowledge of the horse world but they all want to ride for nothing - not even in exchange for jobs around the yard. They basically want a free lesson on someone's horse with mummy coming along as photographer. One is 'very' experienced as they can walk AND trot!!

I’ve seen a few of those too!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Just been accepted onto a new Facebook group for horse boxes for sale (I know, I don't have a horse, this is just grief) but while looking through the ads, I saw one which lists all of the features including "f*ck lamps"???

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Just been accepted onto a new Facebook group for horse boxes for sale (I know, I don't have a horse, this is just grief) but while looking through the ads, I saw one which lists all of the features including "f*ck lamps"???

So you can choose whether you want to look at your partners face or not doing the do :p

JBM

Visit site
Horse for loan 7yr old very quiet rides and drives, has had foal now needs fittened up, will be forsale once fittened, no kids dreamers or drama please
Get my horse back into shape so I can sell her for a better price …?

JBM

Visit site
I can’t make this stuff up
The comments
Is she for loan out or does she have to stay in the yard? What height is she and what level of schooling? Would she suit a novice teenager?

People asking for prices

are people this desperate?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
On the local horsey page, I spied an advert asking for someone to ride her teeny pony-first off lead rein pony-and pay full livery or do DIY, so full costs. However, the owner still wanted her child to ride it and….to still be able to take it to shows, which the loaner would be welcome to attend as long as they paid costs. What a great deal! ?

Widgeon

Visit site
I saw one the other day asking for saddle recommendations and asking about wintec/adjustable saddles.

She wanted something that she could use on multiple horses ranging from 11.2 to 17.2… ?

It's a bit mind boggling isn't it. In my admittedly limited experience, adjustable saddles like Wintecs *can* be really useful in some particular situations. But it's no wonder they get such a bad press when people use them like this. Interestingly I see a lot more of these type of comments / questions on US boards - people saying that a Wintec is great because it will fit anything in the barn, you just swap out the gullet. I don't know whether others have noticed the same.

Snowfilly

Visit site
It's a bit mind boggling isn't it. In my admittedly limited experience, adjustable saddles like Wintecs *can* be really useful in some particular situations. But it's no wonder they get such a bad press when people use them like this. Interestingly I see a lot more of these type of comments / questions on US boards - people saying that a Wintec is great because it will fit anything in the barn, you just swap out the gullet. I don't know whether others have noticed the same.

There’s a real culture in the US that a saddle will fit anything. I think it came across from Western, because the western saddles sit on blankets and are a lot easier to make fit multiple horses.

JBM

Visit site
I’ve seen so many posts up lately for people looking for loans and horses to buy with the wonkiest heights ??
Looking for a 15.5hh-16.6hh horse
What?

SibeliusMB

Visit site
There’s a real culture in the US that a saddle will fit anything. I think it came across from Western, because the western saddles sit on blankets and are a lot easier to make fit multiple horses.
So... I've lived in several regions of the US and worked in several disciplines, I don't recall ever being led to believe that saddles just "fit anything." There are definitely some ignorant people out there (and by the numbers the US is larger so yes, we have more ignorant people by population), but those exist over here too. And wasn't the "pro panel" (that allegedly allows a saddle to fit more horses) option on modern jump saddles a French innovation?

And the western thing....my experience was limited to grooming and saddling for our university's Western team during competitions, and it was made explicitly clear that certain saddles go on certain horses because of fit. I don't think saddle fit on the western side is any more universal than in english tack. Blankets or no, pressure points are still pressure points and the horse will still be uncomfortable.

Pippity

Visit site
And the western thing....my experience was limited to grooming and saddling for our university's Western team during competitions, and it was made explicitly clear that certain saddles go on certain horses because of fit. I don't think saddle fit on the western side is any more universal than in english tack. Blankets or no, pressure points are still pressure points and the horse will still be uncomfortable.

I used to be on a yard with someone who rode Western, and they corrected my impression that it was still one-saddle-fits-all in the Western world. It used to be the case in the days of the Wild West, when cowboys would have their own saddle that they put on whatever horse they were riding, but not any more.

I suppose it's like the old universal pattern cavalry saddles, where there was a lot that could be done with blankets but, at the end of the day, the saddle was a certain shape. It was helped to fit by the fact that the cavalry horses were of a similar type (at the start of a campaign, anyway), which probably also applies to the old cowhorses.

(Obviously, there's still a lot of variation within the type, but it's not like you're trying to use the same saddle on a TB, a Percheron and a Shetland.)

abbijay

Visit site
"wanted 16hh+ horse for 13 year old upcoming BS/BE talent to ride and compete over the winter"
Post was reported as "unsubstantiated claims of qualifications" as rider has no BE or BS experience.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
locally a girl is selling a few cheap saddles. Between the £20 and £100 mark so the quality is poor. Her ad now states a synthetic saddle priced at £25 was out on trial! It just shocked me someone would trial anything at that value really. maybe its me that should be more careful with money?

I Don't think I would want a £25 saddle anywhere near my horses backs let alone my poor backside after trying to ride in it ?

exracehorse

Visit site
My beautiful boy is in need of a friend. Due to work commitments and me training for a marathon I no longer have the time needed for my boy but I don’t want to sell him.
He also has a niggling lameness so I no longer want him ridden. Would love to find him a home where he can be a companion and just be happy. And loved. (So basically the OP no longer wants to look after his lame horse and hopes someone will do that for free. Free retirement!).

exracehorse

Visit site
Looking for my next unicorn.
Looking for my next unicorn ?
There is a few musts.
Must be....
An all-arounder as will be literally doing a bit of everything
??16.1-16.3
??Must be safe
?? Must not need riding every day without losing its head
?? 5-8 years
??Hack alone and in company (mainly alone)
??Hunted and proved SANE AND ENJOYABLE doing so .
??Not have any complicated vices that make any outings unenjoyable
??Enjoy jumping SJ/ XC
??Good balanced paces
??Must load well on a trailer
??Must be good for farrier and to clip!

??Would prefer a mare but nothing that is super Marish but a gelding will be considered for the right horse.
??My must list is exactly what I want as my current mare is just a diva. .
Thanks for reading ???

Last edited:
Visit site
Looking for my next unicorn.
Looking for my next unicorn ?
There is a few musts.
Must be....
An all-arounder as will be literally doing a bit of everything
??16.1-16.3
??Must be safe
?? Must not need riding every day without losing its head
?? 5-8 years
??Hack alone and in company (mainly alone)
??Hunted and proved SANE AND ENJOYABLE doing so .
??Not have any complicated vices that make any outings unenjoyable
??Enjoy jumping SJ/ XC
??Good balanced paces
??Must load well on a trailer
??Must be good for farrier and to clip!

??Would prefer a mare but nothing that is super Marish but a gelding will be considered for the right horse.
??My must list is exactly what I want as my current mare is just a diva. .
Thanks for reading ???

Nothing wrong with that if they have a large budget.