Cheltenham

Fools Motto

Visit site
As I know both Bryony, (who won it last year), and Harriet, AND the horse, I am truly thrilled for all.
I ride, have ridden racehorses, and have jumped a few point2point fences... there will be no way on this earth that I would even think about riding around Cheltenham. I admire all that do. They have to have skill, talent, a lot of luck, and masses and masses of guts. School master, he may be, but even then, someone had to pilot him in among all the others.

Clodagh

Visit site
Harriet was great, I assume she didn't hit him as her arm was flapping, but Pacha just did it anyway - fantastic!

Anyone know how Harry Skelton is? He got an awful kicking.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
As I know both Bryony, (who won it last year), and Harriet, AND the horse, I am truly thrilled for all.
I ride, have ridden racehorses, and have jumped a few point2point fences... there will be no way on this earth that I would even think about riding around Cheltenham. I admire all that do. They have to have skill, talent, a lot of luck, and masses and masses of guts. School master, he may be, but even then, someone had to pilot him in among all the others.

*hits the like button*

suffolkmare

Visit site
Sadly there were more fatalities today, including Harry Skeltons ride. Can Cheltenham be made safer for the horses? It turns the “general public” right off all racing.

bonny

Visit site
Sadly there were more fatalities today, including Harry Skeltons ride. Can Cheltenham be made safer for the horses? It turns the “general public” right off all racing.

How about taking the jumps away and not getting out of a trot ?

bonny

Visit site
There is probably a case for looking at the last race, 22 runners over 2 miles on the worst of the ground was maybe not the best way to end such a brilliant festival ....that was the race that led to half the deaths so maybe changing that might be a help, or maybe it was just very unlucky today what happened and it won’t again.

suffolkmare

Visit site
Of course you can’t eliminate all risk or we’d never expect people to get into a car and drive anywhere just for a days entertainment. But, the G N has improved lots of features (and I know some people think that went too far, but I think enough was done to save the race from becoming history) so maybe some things at Cheltenham need looking at too. The TV presenters even commented on how awful the ground was post gold cup.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I think 6 died, 2 on day 1, 4 yesterday

Thank you.
im not a huge racing fan but watch the odd race. Sorry to hear 6 horses died. As someone else said, it doesnt give a good impression of racing to the general public to hear so many horses died.
I know there is risk in all walks of life from crossing the road to getting in a car but 6 horses killed in the name of entertainment?
Doesnt sit well with me.

popsdosh

Visit site
Of course you can’t eliminate all risk or we’d never expect people to get into a car and drive anywhere just for a days entertainment. But, the G N has improved lots of features (and I know some people think that went too far, but I think enough was done to save the race from becoming history) so maybe some things at Cheltenham need looking at too. The TV presenters even commented on how awful the ground was post gold cup.

Im sorry but the GN is not the race it was it has just become a normal handicap race . It is only safe until the next bad year when all misfortunes come together.
As unpalatable as it is 6 loses over 4 days of championship racing is a positive as that is pretty much the norm every day of the week in NH racing. It would not even be above the average at a flat meeting.
You cannot blame the ground as in general heavier going cuts down on injuries. 10 yrs ago it is unlikely they would have raced at all this week . The heavy going is one of the reasons Ireland won so many races this week they race on that sort of surface week in week out.

popsdosh

Visit site
There is probably a case for looking at the last race, 22 runners over 2 miles on the worst of the ground was maybe not the best way to end such a brilliant festival ....that was the race that led to half the deaths so maybe changing that might be a help, or maybe it was just very unlucky today what happened and it won’t again.

There were two in that race the other was in the county hurdle.

Clodagh

Visit site
Im sorry but the GN is not the race it was it has just become a normal handicap race . It is only safe until the next bad year when all misfortunes come together.
As unpalatable as it is 6 loses over 4 days of championship racing is a positive as that is pretty much the norm every day of the week in NH racing. It would not even be above the average at a flat meeting.
You cannot blame the ground as in general heavier going cuts down on injuries. 10 yrs ago it is unlikely they would have raced at all this week . The heavy going is one of the reasons Ireland won so many races this week they race on that sort of surface week in week out.

I so agree with you. THe GN is no more exciting than the Eider nowadays, just any old handicap, albeit with more prize money. I prefer the other races at Aintree now.

It is sad about the horses, but inevitable. How many die out hunting in a year, I wonder?

Clodagh

Visit site
It is sad about the horses, but inevitable. How many die out hunting in a year, I wonder?

Ignore that, as being fairly ireelevant. No one counts the dead out hunting. At least it doesn't get the publicity that deaths at Aintree do.

As for the ground being dire, surely it was so heavy it should have been safer? They did go like the clappers for the last race though. The loose horses didn't help.

minesadouble

Visit site
From what I have heard there were three falls in the last race, all of which were fatalities, sounds like a real freak occurrence to me.

bonny

Visit site
It was 3, I would hate to see Cheltenham changed in any way , apart from maybe looking at that one race.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
Some plan is not down as a fatality on Racing post in depth results

Does it really matter ? It does look like it was 3, for me I think it’s a bit sad that on the whole this thread is about nose bands and now fatalities than about the racing, I don’t understand why some people even watch, or is it just so they can look for something to be critical about ?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Does it really matter ? It does look like it was 3, for me I think it’s a bit sad that on the whole this thread is about nose bands and now fatalities than about the racing, I don’t understand why some people even watch, or is it just so they can look for something to be critical about ?

Maybe its because some people care about animal welfare

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

The thread is about Cheltenham, and all that has happened over the course of the festival, and that is what has been discussed.

I love my racing, but I don't like fatalities in any horse sport, although I fully understand how and why they happen.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Well like it or not, unless welfare concerns are addressed, there won't be any Cheltenham for you to watch.

Exactly, some people just don't get it. In this day and age people are not going to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing.
I love horses and most horse sports. I dont however enjoy watching horses being killed in the name of sport or entertainment.