Clinic report: Cudo with Richard Spooner

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
But so tell me and this is posed without any snark, for the sake of better understanding the culture that you all work with. How would you handle a horse of yours in the same position?
I’d have pulled the horse from day 3. And my vet would have advised me to do the same if I’d asked her advice on how to proceed.

Both normal responses here in the UK.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a horse that would struggle on a 3 day clinic, it's a shame because I have some that I would love to attend and only a 40 min drive away (!) but she would be the sort that would be a bit sore on the third day if worked really hard with no turnout in between etc. Instead I just choose to go one day at a time, don't quite get the same benefit as that kind of intensive training but I have that alternative available.

It's like another world when you are travelling those kinds of distances for clinics. While I personally would feel uncomfortable working a horse of mine after I felt it needed medicating, I can absolutely see that in terms of training, from what you've said that third day probably made all the difference in getting the penny to drop and coming away having really achieved something.

I wonder whether the OP would be getting a different response if she was chatting with a group of pro riders. I haven't the faintest idea. but as keen hobby riders (in the main) on here I just wonder if that is adding to the culture difference. There was a bit of murmuring about Harry Meade having to withdraw his horse from Badminton having had a reaction to the cartrophen injection given so close to the event, for instance, but that was seen as pretty normal procedure to those close to the professional circuit. Not exactly like for like but just a half-formed thought.

BunnyDog

Visit site
@Tiddlypom

Your vet would have advised to scratch based on a sound, not showing any signs of distress or injury, horse because at the time of consultation you were concerned it may have done enough to potentially become sore in parts of its body. But at that moment it totally fine.

@Faracat

We may have stumbled onto the difference. How do you determine that they 'need' painkillers?

@Goldenstar

So the thing worth mentioning from your comment, if he'd only been ridden by me all 3 days, I promise he wouldn't have been given anything. The difference was the intensive ride by Richard. His fitness was up there to do these 3 days with me no issues. But when you add in that 30 min extra bit, things changed for me. The people in my group are all pros. I was the only amateur but as I was a pro before I know how to ensure that my horse is fit enough for the task. 1 day of flat, gymnastics and courses was well in his wheel house. And he didn't break much of a sweat or puff on days 1 or 3.

@milliepops

That's a good point. Pros vs Hobbyists may well be a dividing line. We only traveled 2.5 hours so not so far away. I made up for the lack of turnout by hand grazing a ton.

General question, is the culture there such that those starting to train for a marathon never take an aspirin if they hurt along the way? I'm just trying to really comprehend the mindset and find the understanding that I'm lacking.

Emily

Emily

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I did once have part of a conversation on that topic with my former instructor (who was an eventer). The crux of what she said was that many of us (including horses) have aches and pains that we can work with. Yes, you might need painkillers at the end of a hard day, but you must be careful to not mask new issues that could be developing. It was a sort of 'discretion is the better part of valour' type thing. If the horse isn't quite right, maybe it's best to wait for another day. This could have come from her experiences with horses that have finished XC, but it was decided to withdraw before the show jumping for the welfare of the horse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
General question, is the culture there such that those starting to train for a marathon never take an aspirin if they hurt along the way? I'm just trying to really comprehend the mindset and find the understanding that I'm lacking.

Emily

You can't reasonably compare a human medicating themselves with medicating their horse, Emily. The culture here would broadly be that if the horse either is, or is expected to be, so sore that it needs prescription medication, that the training would be stopped and the horse rested until it wasn't sore.

But there are plenty of people in the UK who would have done what you did, slip the horse a couple of 'bute' (we don't tend to use banamine day to day). It's actually illegal in this country to stock and use Bute this way, but many do.

And I have been on a three day camp with people who, in my view, did much worse by taking horses which were never fit enough for the scheduled workload (which they were well aware of) in the first place. For example, I heard one person excuse their horse's bad behaviour on day two by saying 'we don't ride two days in a row at home because he gets a sore back if we do'. And yet they brought the horse to a three day 2x90 minutes a day camp and expected it to somehow manage.

The UK isn't perfect by any means.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I can answer your question to TP as yes, if I was concerned my horse was sore, because I know my horse well/because I knew the work it had done the day before and what it's level of fitness was (with no particular outward signs of discomfort) it would get some pain relief and be pulled from the final day. It wouldn't matter what a vet said to me particularly. If my horse had worked particularly hard/harder than he was used to one day I'd want him to have time to assimilate that and repair any bits that he needed to repair rather than working all those bits again.

I am not against working a horse on pain relief where it is indicated (so particularly for arthritic conditions etc). What I struggle with here is what the benefit to the horse was of doing a 3rd day of work if it was likely sore.

I don't think all the comparisons with people are really relevant, as we get to make our own decisions on what we do and don't do, and know the risks and implications of that. Horse's do neither.

milliepops

Visit site

Emily

Emily

Can only speak personally, (not that I have trained for a marathon but anyway... ;) )
For myself if I'm busy doing lots of strenuous things, of course I pop a couple of ibuprofen and crack on.
I find I'm worse the second day after a hard day anyway! (physio explained this as DOMS)

For my horses I'm very much inclined to err on the side of caution and i expect others are as well. One of mine had a hard day yesterday, my trainer rode her and he is always much more demanding than I am (that's the right way round in my mind because otherwise what am I paying for?). She was hot and tired afterwards. For myself, I'd have liked to have ridden her myself today to see if I could quickly replicate what we did yesterday while it was fresh in our minds. For her, I think I had better not in case she is a bit sore. I have NSAIDS available in the cupboard for my retirees but I guess what's in my mind is that *if I got into a habit* of slipping her a danilon so I could ride the next day, what might I be masking in terms of incremental damage etc that would be avoided if I just let her have a day off instead.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
@Faracat

We may have stumbled onto the difference. How do you determine that they 'need' painkillers?

Emily

I think it is almost down to knowing your horse inside out. They can't say 'oh I feel a bit sore, can I have danilon?' So you have to know them well enough to be able to see by observation that they are not quite right, moving stiffly, not tracking up as well etc... For my grey i have been learning a lot about her recently as she hides minor things very effectively, but she can't hide her heightened heart rate.

If any of these things are apparent to me and I feel that the horse should be given painkillers, then they should also be rested (turned out).

milliepops

Visit site
I wonder if there's a general difference between giving some anti inflammatories/painkillers because they are easily available and to ensure the horse's comfort,
and thinking that having a little bit of "normal" soreness is probably useful in a contrary way - mine is out in the field mooching about quietly today and if she's feeling her tired muscles then she won't be galloping around being daft, she will be using that time to stretch out and rest.

If I've been for a run and gone too fast downhill making my shins hurt a bit, I'm better off knowing that part of me is not 100% so I avoid doing it again too soon... ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s not illegal to use Bute as and when in the UK providing the vet has prescribed it for that horse and you are using as prescribed my boxes have the horses name on it and the directions will be the daily dosages then the worlds as required .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would like to add, BunnyDog, I hope you don't feel too berated and that you will continue posting because I really find it interesting to hear first-hand about the horse world on your side of the pond.

I hope so to .
I also greatly enjoy BD’s threads .

ycbm

Visit site
It’s not illegal to use Bute as and when in the UK providing the vet has prescribed it for that horse and you are using as prescribed my boxes have the horses name on it and the directions will be the daily dosages then the worlds as required .

But that's not what this discussion is about.

It is illegal in this country to store Bute/Danilon/banamine and to just slip it without veterinary direction to a perfectly well horse which has done a bit too much work, like an aspirin. Which is what we are discussing here.

It happens all the time of course, I keep a few sachets stock myself. It doesn't make it legal.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
But that would be for a specific diagnosed condition, GS? Tammy has her box of Danilon with ‘As required’ on it, but that is for her known and diagnosed bilateral hock arthritis. The usual daily dose varies between 0 and 2 sachets depending on how she is.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Not necessarily when I completed I had medication for all my horses labelled as required and with them when ever they left home .

ycbm

Visit site
Not necessarily when I completed I had medication for all my horses labelled as required and with them when ever they left home .

If a vet was prescribing a licensed drug for a horse which did not have an ongoing condition which required that drug, so that someone unqualified could make a judgement to slip it some when they felt it had done a bit much that day, then surely they'd be breaking their own code of practice and the law?

We all know that it happens all the time. And even more commonly, Bute used that was prescribed for a different horse. And possibly worst of all, Bute bought from Abler.

It doesn't make it legal.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Drug is being used on the animal it is prescribed for for the purpose that the drugs is licensed for .

ycbm

Visit site
Drug is being used on the animal it is prescribed for for the purpose that the drugs is licensed for .

You are ignoring the point that it isn't legal in the UK for the keeper of the horse to diagnose that it requires a prescription drug at that point in time unless they are a qualified vet, in case the condition is more serious than the keeper believes.

We all know it happens. A lot. But it doesn't make it legal.

BunnyDog

Visit site
Boy you guys would be horrified to know that I (legally) have a container of bute that I am allowed to (legally) dole out to my horses as I see fit.

The kicker is that I never use it.

Ok so a couple things:

The clinic organizer messaged me and she is frustrated as Day 3 should be posted and it was promised. So MAYBE we'll get to see that footage. Maybe not.

With regard to giving him Banamine I don't think it's healthy for me to keep feeling like a Cocaine cartel operator. So I really would love to just stop at this point and agree that the prevailing mindset in the UK doesn't condone this. And the prevailing mindset in the USA is that given these circumstances it wasn't a big deal. I am not from the UK and I'm sure if I was I might have a different take. But as an American this is how I handled things.

Masking other issues: I handled this part of the equation by giving Cudo 3 days off after we got home and watching his legs, body etc for any signs of disturbance, pain, heat, flinching etc. I have a ton of experience with this from working at the racetrack as the assistant trainer and my job was to check all the legs twice a day (or at least once since sometimes they were wrapped by night stables) I check his legs daily but during this time I was looking him over quite a lot. He kept rolling his eyes and me and begging for another German Muffin.

Therapies: I got to thinking that here we actually do a lot to keep our horses comfortable in all situations and I wondered if the same goes over there. So kind of a tangent line of thought but I wonder if you all use the following:

PEMF Therapy

Ice boots/ soaks

Back on Track products

Massage Therapists

Acupuncture

Poultice

Leg wraps

Foot wraps

Advice given from trainers: This one made me think quite a bit. Since someone else mentioned that the bulk of the readers are hobbyists I wondered if the advice given from Pros was meant to be particularly dissuading as the inference is that the student doesn't know as much as the teacher. And that by extension of this thought you don't want a more novice person learning habits that are in fact very conditional. Like I know how to handle injuries and ailments that come up now, largely without having to have the vet out. Why? Because I am 47 years old, I have worked with horses since I was 12 and I have learned as I have lived it through the years. I do still call the vet. Chad had hives and needed a prescription a week ago. Before that I thought he wasn't right and I called my vet to come out. I know very clearly where the line is to what I can and cannot handle. BUT I didn't know it at 15, 25, 35 as well as I do now. Maybe the dissuasion was appropriate given the experience of the person receiving the advice, but conversely maybe the trainer would behave differently with more knowledge.

Emily

PS: I am not going to leave posting here, but if I am not abusing any horse with whips, beating etc, it would help if I didn't feel like the worst horseman alive when I am extremely committed to my horse's well being.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Horsy stuff is funny is the US some stuff is great value but some things are really expensive for instance the horses.
I think that’s an ok price for three sessions with that trainer with great facilities and a stable and that’s without adding in the spending time hanging out with like minded idiots side of things that makes things like that such fun it’s great to get away with your horse .

ester

Visit site
Emily I think it might be helpful to point out that quite a lot of people were surprised that Harry Meade's ride got injected with cartrophen iirc a few days before the event too which perhaps explains some of the UK general mindset?

I guess my main thought is that resting two days later doesn't change the likelihood of causing issues by riding on day 3.

I do find it interesting as we also have posters in France, and they have massive difficulty in getting bute compared to how much we do. They tended to only be given a few days worth, We only have two at home and have a box, one is on it constantly (26, not worked) the other intermittently as and when (in light work).

What is a German muffin?!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I can only answer for myself and of course when my horses are working hard we are at the walking about stage of stuff atm .
So we assume these are horses working hardish .
I use ice a lot I am a big fan of cooling things I prefer to use bonner bandages they give a good degree of compression .
I have an equissage in fact we have two .
I have done a massage course myself and some training in muscle fascia release so I use that .
I use a physio regularly and she’s a great at massage .
She also can laser ,and use ultrasound .
We have used acupuncture this requires me to get physio and a vet and the physio tells the vet where to put the needles as a physio can’t put an needle in the horse .
The physio then comes in house and sticks thirty in me ( uk is strange about this stuff )
There’s a acpunture trained vet at our practice now though .
I am not a big one for wraps and things like that .
I also don’t use boots very much when I work the horses .
I am 58 I have been round horses all my life and my best friend is an equine vet so I have learnt loads from her .
My pet thing is physically preparing the horse for a job I love this and you could say that’s my weakness always preparing horses for tomorrow and you know what they say about tomorrow. It never comes .

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
RE trainers/instructors.

I think that this is an area that definitely differs between the US and UK from what I have read. I am happy for anyone to set me straight if I get anything wrong. :)

It appears to me that trainers/instructors have a much closer relationship with their pupils in the US. A lot of people keep their horses on DIY livery here and I think that part/full livery with an instructor on site is more common in the US.

I am someone who bar about 3 months (horse hated part livery and so did I), has always had their horses on DIY (or on family land) with no instructor on site. I quickly had to learn when to call the vet and what I could deal with myself. I have a very good working relationship with my Vet and it wouldn't even occur to me to ask an instructor about a veterinary issue. The conversation I wrote about above was actually in relation to the instructor being upset about having to retire one of her horses.

RE your other question, I haven't used back on track products, acupuncture and PMEF. The others I have used in the past as required.

BunnyDog

Visit site
German Horse Muffin: http://germanhorsemuffin.com/ Cudo's favorite treats.

FYI, "Cartophen" aka "Pentosan" here is roughly $55/dose. We vary between 1x/week - 1x/month. It's most potent 3 days out of a competition so that's probably why he had the reaction. Reactions are more likely since it's been previously available only as a compound, at least here, not sure about there. But while compounding it can be inconsistent in it's formulations.

The US relationship with trainers is a in many spots a toxic cesspool. (AKA VERY BAD)

There are trainers that control their students and the horses way too much. I mean this is a common thread over and over. They steal commissions, they lie and injure your horse and deny it or blame it on a stable worker. And they keep their students in a position of dependence on them and refuse to encourage independent activities.

Now this is not every barn but it's too many for sure. I am extremely thankful to rent my own barn and care for my horses myself. My little 5 stall barn with my 3 horses by myself is my happy place. So many people I know don't have that luxury. There is a new uprising of self care barns (your DIY) and these are coming up but by and large a barn near me to full care a horse costs $1000 a month. That's with an indoor. $700 without. And more and more barns now require you to lesson a certain number of times with the resident trainer.

I just spoke with a Vet tech friend and we came up with a list of drugs that are common to find in most barns with more than 5 horses. We can keep drugs on hand for future use legally here. Some of these listed are abused for sure in some show barns, but overall these are the commonly stocked items for horse care. I have the items listed with an asterix in my own barn.

Joint & Pain stuff:
Adequan (1x a month injection for joint health)
Legend* (1x a month injection for joint health)
Pentosan* (Listed above)
Equioxx* (NSAID)
Bute (NSAID)
Banamine (NSAID)
Surpass - diclofenac (Topical Anti -Inflammatory)

Ulcer Stuff:
Gastrogard* (Strongest Omeprazole)
UlcerGard (Lower dose Omeprazole)
Ambler Blue Rocks* (Popular alternative to Gastrogard as MUCH cheaper)
Aloe Vera Juice* (Over the counter access. Not a drug but VERY common)

Steroids:
Dexamethasone* - Steroid used for many things like Hives and other skin issues/ Lyme Disease
Prednisone (Same as above)

Tranquilizers: (All 3 act differently)
Ace* - Tranquilizer
Dorm - Tranq
Xylazine - Tranq

Antibiotics:
Bactrim
Baytril
SMZ*

Other:
Isoxusprine - Coffin bone + Foot circulation
Magnesium - Quietness/ Muscle Relaxation. (For Magnesium deficient horses is best but widely overused)

Over the counter Items:
I'm just gonna include the link to one of the biggest US catalogs:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/horse-supplements-366pc

Perfect Prep is probably one of the most overused things:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/ps/perfect-prep-eq-gold-paste-8370?_br_psugg_q=perfect+prep

We've heard stories of people using 5 tubes of this before the horse went in the ring. (Mainly for hunters, jumpers don't benefit from being dead heads)

So now I am curious, what can you keep on hand in terms of being ready for a colic or severe laceration etc.

Em

ester

Visit site
It's very different, it's rare that you are more than half an hour from a vet in a lot of the UK, so you wait for the vet. I am ever grateful for this when I see the posts go up on horse vet corner from people who are miles from anywhere or a vet, or cannot get any vet to come to them. My own vet is about 45 minutes away, but one is 5 minutes away if I needed them.

You might have some sedalin in stock - we do during hunting season as one goes nuts if she hears them, dorm or ace would be more likely on a case by case basis.

I have never been anywhere with more than bute and ventipulmin in stock as POM. And even after knowing my vet for 20 years when I said I asked to have a few extra bute in case, he said in case of what exactly.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Oh wow, it is so different.

My first aid kit contains things for a poultice, hibiscrub, sterile dressings and a few topical treatments. I have no NSAIDS in stock, they would be prescribed by the Vet if required and I would use the whole course as directed (so none spare to keep for later). I also have nothing that is injectable. No calmers also (although vit & min supplement contains a small amount of magnesium it doesn't have a calming effect on my horses).

Colic = call the vet (I did have one colic and the vet was there in about 20 mins and this was at 3am approx).

I'm disabled and can't imagine having to give a calmer before a competition. I'd have the wrong horse for the job if that was the case, or more training would be required.

This is very interesting, so thank you for this thread. :)