Comberton Clancy - is it true? :-(

showingmadfilly

Visit site
I think it's disgusting how unknowledgable people are acting! I've had my fair share of lameness issues resulting in the poor horses being put down. Two were related and had OCD which many of you may know will make them on off lame for a very long time but there comes a time when you need to let them go. Another had a broken pastern caused through racing.... Again was fine one minute and not the next and came to a point where it was coming to winter and I either kept her through the winter and she suffered or I let her go after a great and joyful summer. None of them were very old and all were loved dearly but as owners it's our responsibility to know what's best.

Maybe he had such a great last few shows and they thought ok time to let him go in this gorgeous sun.... (Just a thought I know nothing of the situation)

Suppose what I'm getting at is its not anyone's place to judge and the insurance comments wow your low who said that! Had a horse recently insured who went for bone scans which showed a degenerative condition and they refused to pay up £2,500 down the line so it's sick you even imply they would do this to him just for money.

Utterly sick of reading comments about those points and like I said to someone who hadn't lost before who judged me..... You wait till your in that position and someone judges you. Year later they lost one and suddenly they were very different.

Rest in peace a one in a million horse and best wishes to his grieving owners.

SO1

Visit site
I am not surprised people are interested. I am sorry the owners feel sad by what is being said but as they are sucessful and well known people are going to be interested in what happened. If the same thing had been reported about Valegro or a famous eventer or SJ there would be the same reaction, speculation and curiousity.

I doubt very much it was anything to do with insurance payments. If the owners feel they are unable to share any information about the condition then that is their decision and they should not be bullied into revealing what went on, however by doing this they will need to accept that people may speculate on what has happened (including those who have not commented on this thread) and this might cause them some upset.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
SO1Most sensible post on here.

When people follow a horse's progress, it's natural to hope that all is well. Indeed, if Valegro or Uthopia became ill/retired, I'm guessing many people would be interested, not from noseyness but from genuine concern or sadness.

I'm so sorry for the loss of such a magnificent horse and hope those who cared for him are ok. Sad times.

Last edited:

Tickles

Visit site
Indeed.

And for those preaching about privacy, well, any (UK-based) human's cause of death is a matter for public record so it does seem a bit silly making all this fuss about keeping secret how a horse came to be PTS.

Speculation and curiosity is normal - how many of us have chosen to never read a Shergar story?

cambrica

Visit site
Indeed.

And for those preaching about privacy, well, any (UK-based) human's cause of death is a matter for public record so it does seem a bit silly making all this fuss about keeping secret how a horse came to be PTS.

Speculation and curiosity is normal - how many of us have chosen to never read a Shergar story?

Really ? And I bet your bottom dollar you wouldn't dare ask face to face with the owners ! It is non of your business...full stop!
I can't imagine how the owners must feel reading this post whilst coming to terms with their loss. I've lost many horses over the years but luckily they have been aged which although heartbreaking it is easier to come to terms with but to lose a young horse in it's prime. My thoughts are with them.

Marydoll

Visit site
Indeed.

Theyre entitled to their privacy regarding this, and anyone with any compassion and respect would give them it you are entitled to nothing, so deal with it.

Tickles

Visit site
Really ? And I bet your bottom dollar you wouldn't dare ask face to face with the owners !

Actually I mentioned in my first post on this thread that I asked ("Oh, did she have to have stitches for something?" or similar) on the first occasion of meeting a neighbour with dog-with-bucket-on-head-thing. So, yes, I'd probably ask anyone who happened to have just lost a domestic animal something along the lines of "Oh, he was young, that is a shame. What was the problem?"

Not a question of 'daring' to ask. Would just regard it as normal.

I tend to ask/be asked about my exotics when I take them to the vets... and OH has been chatted up on a
the train taking one of them. As in it is so totally normal to ask about peoples' animals girls will use it as an excuse to get talking to a 'single' guy. So, yeah, if it wasn't for this thread it wouldn't have even occurred to me not to.

Doesn't mean it is anyone's business. Just not usually a huge secret. And when there is (real or imagined) secrecy around a high-profile death (think Lady Di, JFK, ...) there is plenty of speculation.

cambrica

Visit site
Actually I mentioned in my first post on this thread that I asked ("Oh, did she have to have stitches for something?" or similar) on the first occasion of meeting a neighbour with dog-with-bucket-on-head-thing. So, yes, I'd probably ask anyone who happened to have just lost a domestic animal something along the lines of "Oh, he was young, that is a shame. What was the problem?"

Not a question of 'daring' to ask. Would just regard it as normal.

I tend to ask/be asked about my exotics when I take them to the vets... and OH has been chatted up on a
the train taking one of them. As in it is so totally normal to ask about peoples' animals girls will use it as an excuse to get talking to a 'single' guy. So, yeah, if it wasn't for this thread it wouldn't have even occurred to me not to.

Doesn't mean it is anyone's business. Just not usually a huge secret. And when there is (real or imagined) secrecy around a high-profile death (think Lady Di, JFK, ...) there is plenty of speculation.

Well yes there's asking politely as in "oh my what happened" and then there the more sinister speculation suspecting secrecy mainly from people in la la land!

cptrayes

Visit site
Well yes there's asking politely as in "oh my what happened" and then there the more sinister speculation suspecting secrecy mainly from people in la la land!

Is the speculation not inevitable if the answer to ' oh my what happened' is 'I'm not going to tell you' ???

For me, this speculation is inevitable in this situation because it is so very unusual for the owner of the horse not to be prepared to say what was wrong with it.

Last edited:

Zero00000

Visit site
Maybe the owner is just too upset over loosing the horse and is not READY to speak about it just yet!! Not unusual in my eyes, or maybe there was an ongoing issue and the horses didn't come right/became worse and the owner feels she let the horse down and again isn't ready to speak about it, again, not unusual, some people are not so keen to share their downfalls with people, I for one, don't have an issue with sharing, but I completely understand peoples reasoning behind wanting to keep things to themselves and out of the public eye, thinking that something is wrong or out of place just because someone doesn't wish to share is simply ludicrous,

Too much is put into the public eye and when someone wishes to keep stum about their happenings it is frowned upon!!!

Back to the real world... not everyone has to share everything with anyone!!

So sorry for your loss, its a day I worry about everyday of owning horses, condolences to all who knew and played a big part in CC life, he will obviously be missed by many people

PucciNPoni

Visit site
No matter what the owner has to say, there will always be someone on these forums or IRL who "knows better" on how to fix it, how to deal with it, other solutions yadda yadda yadda. Why set themselves up for a debate on the horse's welfare when they perhaps felt this was the right thing for that horse at the time? The fact that this thread has gone for several pages of posts speaks volumes. Sad day to ever have to lose a horse - especially one so bright and young. Even sadder when there are that many people bickering over it.

Patterdale

Visit site
Cptrayes, tickles etc - why not just get a life?? Have a bit of sodding tact.

The owners have just lost their horse - making a press release to satisfy busybodies like you is probably not top of their priority list.

It's none of your business and you have no right to know about their private affairs, any more than they do to know about yours.

Oh and whoever compared him to JFK and Lady Di made me lol. It's a horse. A beloved horse, who went lame and was PTS.
Why isn't that enough for you? What do you want, itemised vet bills?

Shocking and disgusting behaviour.

Capriole

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with asking the question once, and if an explanation is declined to keep on asking is a basic lack of good manners, imo.

cptrayes

Visit site
thinking that something is wrong or out of place just because someone doesn't wish to share is simply ludicrous

I don't think it's ludicrous in this case. The horse has lived almost his entire life bang slap in the public eye, showing at high level.

There is at least one serious welfare issue in the showing world and a refusal to state what the horse was put down for is bound to raise eyebrows.

I have never before known the owner of a nationally famous horse which died young at the height of its career not tell its followers what it died of. Can anyone else name one?

When the forum sections were revamped recently I asked TFC for a Rainbow Bridge section for people to pay tribute to dead horses.

The only thing 'wrong' with the speculation about this horse, I believe, is that there is no option but to mix it with condolences once the first question has been raised by some one. I will ask again for a Rainbow Bridge.

palo1

Visit site
I hardly ever post here but, having read with great sadness that CC had been put down I have followed this thread. For me, it seems very unusual that his owners and connections haven't given a simple and honest explanation of what has happened to a major star. As another poster has said, if it were Valegro or Big Star or another very famous and much loved horse, there would be a great deal of interest and having CC in the public eye does result in considerable public interest. That is the nature of competitive sport at the top level and show horses have very loyal supporters who love to see their careers develop and horses win. I feel that it would make it much easier for everyone if the owners and connections simply made a very brief statement; all this speculation must be very difficult for them to bear at such a sad time. I can't imagine the decision to have Clancy put down was in any way easy and having lost horses over the years in a number of different and always very sad circumstances, when questioned I have always found it best to be brief and honest; people tend to respect that, even if they personally believe that another course of action might have been possible. The other thing is, that as another poster has commented, a number of showing horses seem to be lost at an early age and there are welfare concerns in showing - it seems horribly undignified to tar Clancy and his owners and connections with some kind of welfare question if that is not appropriate - yet that is exactly what people who don't know of him and his connections may think when such a young horse is lost; a simple honest statement from them would stop all this distressing public speculation and allow everyone to move on and for Clancy's owners to have some space. This is certainly a problem that people who have their horses in the public eye have to accept and deal with.

quirky

Visit site
I have never before known the owner of a nationally famous horse which died young at the height of its career not tell its followers what it died of. Can anyone else name one?

Negretto.

It may be common knowledge due to gossip but I don't thing Carl ever put a statement out. Well, not one that gave any details, which is what some people seem to want here.

monkeybum13

Visit site
So sorry to read this, thought are with connections.

I cannot believe some of the idiotic comments made on here. It is really unnecessary. I had my mare PTS just over a month ago and received some horrible comments on facebook about it. Why some people can't keep their opinions to themselves at such a distressing time is beyond me.

FMM, I wish you luck for the rest of the season.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Negretto.

It may be common knowledge due to gossip but I don't thing Carl ever put a statement out. Well, not one that gave any details, which is what some people seem to want here.

What do you mean ? It was widely reported. Hardly gossip. As was the demise of Donnersong and Giorgione.

I just feel its unfortunate that the lack of a brief statement has fuelled speculation. Perhaps those who wonder what happened are actually the ones with the most compassion.

Marydoll

Visit site
I think theres a big difference between i dont want to talk about it, and im not going to tell you. Its obvious the owners dont want to talk about it, sad that others, complete strangers who feel theyve a right to know, so push for info. Its sad that SOME of those who feel theyve a right to know, draw and voice their own conclusions, and in a very negative or nasty way, in what can only be a motive of, put enough nasty speculation out there, then to get the rumour monkey off there back, force the owners to put out a statement . How sad to be put through this after losing their lovely young horse.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
How sad to be put through this after losing their lovely young horse.

It is necessary to open a device and make several keystrokes to read a forum. No one is being 'put through' anything except by choice. The sad thing is that TFC is flat refusing to give us a section where owners could safely go and pick up supportive condolences.

If you want to see that happen, anyone, then please put a posting on my Rainbow Bridge thread.

joeanne

Visit site
There is at least one serious welfare issue in the showing world and a refusal to state what the horse was put down for is bound to raise eyebrows.

You are really starting to cross the line.....
1stly the horse was known to have lameness issues. Things CAN and DO change quickly in some cases. I suppose if his shoes were removed and he was fed a barefoot diet that would have saved him eh?
2ndly, to imply there may have been welfare issue? Oh my word shame on you lady....shame on you! There are welfare issues the world wide over, in all diciplines....but to infer this horse may have been one purely because his owners and connections refused to comment ? Good grief I may have just heard it all.
And as Patterdale says, the owners declined to offer a reason for Clancys destruction. So that would say to me its none of your damned business.....its NOT your right to continually badger, pester and demand.
You are deplorable. Totally deplorable!
2ndly the

Ladyinred

Visit site
cptrayes, you are losing a lot of supporters over your behaviour in this thread. Judging by your attitude I doubt that bothers you one iota, but I will still suggest you climb down from your soapbox now whilst you still have a few remaining shreds of dignity and integrity.

Condolences to all concerned with the daily care, production and management of this wonderful horse.

charlie76

Visit site
cptrayes, you are losing a lot of supporters over your behaviour in this thread. Judging by your attitude I doubt that bothers you one iota, but I will still suggest you climb down from your soapbox now whilst you still have a few remaining shreds of dignity and integrity.

Condolences to all concerned with the daily care, production and management of this wonderful horse.

Why does it matter to any one why the horse was put down, the decision of whether to put a horse to sleep is that of the owner only. It doesn't matter why and to be honest it's no one else's business.

Lameness issues can be managed to some extent but some times the management reaches a point where it no longer works or is fair to the horse.

I had a horse with lameness issues , feet issues, I managed him for two years, he won several hunter classes including second place in a HOYS qualifier whilst having his issues managed. I took each day as it came, when he was good I would compete him, but they bad days starting out weighing the good ones despite my best efforts to get him sound.
I turned him away for a year to see if he came right, he didn't, almost a year to the day I put him down.

Reading this thread ,looking at the comments from some posters, there is a serious lack of compassion and certain people need to wind their neck in!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Reading this thread ,looking at the comments from some posters, there is a serious lack of compassion and certain people need to wind their neck in!

Hear! Hear! In my experience in life though, if you wait long enough, what goes round, comes round. Some people may do well to bear this in mind.

appylass

Visit site
I have only just 'heard' about this post and I simply wanted to give my heartfelt condolences to FMM, your sister and all Comberton Clancy's connections, such a sad loss of a beautiful horse, and one who was clearly very much loved. I enjoy FMM's posts and the over riding impression I get is that all the horses she has connections to are deeply important to her.

Rest in Peace Comberton Clancy.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Some of you on here make me sick to be on the same forum as you with your vile comments and inuendos. FTR, any owner can put down their horse without giving anyone else a reason and it is no business of others so wind your necks in..

Condolences to his owners, friends and grooms; he was a wonderful horse.