CRUFTS 2024 roll call!

druid

Visit site
You are onto a loser here - I was brought up in the dog showing world, I have zero respect for breed standards and the like because they have (in the majority of cases, certainly not always) done zip for the improvement of a breed.

He is a gorgeous little dog for sure, as I said Iā€™d happily give a dog like him house room, but he is a show dog not a JRT. They look more like thisā€¦.. (sometimes!)

View attachment 135595
Those are lovely pet quality terriers. They are not Jack Russells.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Those are lovely pet quality terriers. They are not Jack Russells.

I am eternally grateful they are ā€œpet qualityā€ šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Honestly, quit with the bitchiness - you have a different view of what a JRT is than I do, I like the authentic breed, you like the show type. As with many other breeds - chalk and cheese.

Iā€™d no more have a show bred dog of any breed than Iā€™d be an astronaut, for reasons already stated

druid

Visit site
I am eternally grateful they are ā€œpet qualityā€ šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Honestly, quit with the bitchiness - you have a different view of what a JRT is than I do, I like the authentic breed, you like the show type. As with many other breeds - chalk and cheese.

Iā€™d no more have a show bred dog of any breed than Iā€™d be an astronaut, for reasons already stated

Nothing I've said is remotely bitchy.You are taking offence for no reason. You were spouting nonsense about the dog and breed. I just corrected you on the correct length of leg.

I'm sure your dogs are lovely pets, but they are no more fit for function than Zen. You prefer their type to his, it doesn't make yours "real jrt" or more correct somehow. It's just an opinion.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Nothing I've said is remotely bitchy.You are taking offence for no reason. You were spouting nonsense about the dog and breed. I just corrected you on the correct length of leg.

I'm sure your dogs are lovely pets, but they are no more fit for function than Zen. You prefer their type to his, it doesn't make yours "real jrt" or more correct somehow. It's just an opinion.

You were bitchy by saying my dogs were ā€œpet qualityā€ - as someone who grew up around show dogs, thatā€™s a known put-down.

Whatever, canā€™t be arsed any more, you think whatever you want to think šŸ¤£

druid

Visit site
You were bitchy by saying my dogs were ā€œpet qualityā€ - as someone who grew up around show dogs, thatā€™s a known put-down.

Whatever, canā€™t be arsed any more, you think whatever you want to think šŸ¤£

My spaniels are pet quality in terms of showing. I'm sat next to a pet quality mannie with very cute dobbie like ears. It's not remotely insulting, it's the truth.

Jenko109

Visit site
I didnt stay up to watch the final.

Woke up relieved to see that the god awful Frenchie didnt win šŸ˜…

It isn't a breed that I have any interest in, however I hav never seen one with such an extreme lack of snout.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
When did the KC get their tainted paws on JRTs? It is it recent?

I thought that JRTs were a non recognised breed and therefore non KC eligible.

I do like the Crufts example, though, but as a spunky terrier type, not specifically a JRT.

TP, the owner of a ā€˜pet qualityā€™ JRT šŸ¤£. ā€˜Pet qualityā€™ does sound like a put down when coming from a showing peep.

malwhit

Visit site
The Australian Shepherd, Jack Russell and most of the other group winners I could have taken homešŸ˜„

Although I loved him, I have never seen a Jack Russell look like the one from Crufts. He was a soundly built dog, and looked to have a great temperament šŸ˜Š
I just hope the breed doesn't end up looking like another Sealyham or Westieā˜¹ļø

Clodagh

Visit site
I donā€™t think the KC have ever improved a breed but I really liked the Crufts jrt. When you think they were bred to work he is big enough, with a solid enough head to take on a fox. Most of the modern ones you see in pet homes are too small and snipey headed to perform a traditional role. Probably a blessing in suburban home.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I don't think there is anything remotely offensive in describing a dog as 'pet quality'

The vast majority of us on here will have dogs that are pet quality, surely?

As Tiddlypom has suggested, itā€™s the context - it is a total put down from a show personā€¦..

Interesting to see that others share my view, itā€™s the usual thing IMO that once a breed enters the show ring it is morphed into something unlike the originalā€¦.. English Bull Terriers, Pugs, Bulldogs, so many examples. Itā€™s very sad.

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
My JRT was a cracking little dog, couldn't fault him.

Does it really matter what someone else thinks? It certainly doesn't bother me.

I don't watch Crufts (I might watch the Police display team on YouTube sometime).

From Google search, JRT recognised by the Kennel Club in 2016.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I donā€™t think the KC have ever improved a breed but I really liked the Crufts jrt. When you think they were bred to work he is big enough, with a solid enough head to take on a fox. Most of the modern ones you see in pet homes are too small and snipey headed to perform a traditional role. Probably a blessing in suburban home.
The smaller JRTs make cracking ratters and rabbiters, though.

I donā€™t know what a snipey head is. Is it another put down?

Patterdale

Visit site
I havenā€™t been able to watch it yet, but my little monkey was very cheeky and cantered round with her nose on the floor, I was mortified!! She never does this so I didnā€™t know what to do! Because I donā€™t know much about dog showing šŸ¤£
Itā€™s a strange footing in the arena too, itā€™s like grass rather than carpet and was obviously harbouring lots of smells.
It was such an amazing experience but I do feel I let the breed down a bit by not showing her off properly.
But in my defence, itā€™s only the 4th dog show Iā€™ve ever attended, and the dog is 13 months old and spent a few of those in a cage so we did ok.

We all SO thoroughly enjoyed the day, it was absolutely amazing and I got to meet Claire Balding!

The JRT was a lovely dog, and the owners were so nice, they really deserved it and they really seem to love that dog, I was near them in the collecting ring.
It looked to me like a picture of the breed standard, and exactly how a JRT should look. I hate to see them going short-legged like so many other breeds, personally.

What an unbelievable day. Thank you for all the well-wishers!! And especially @druid for all your past help and advice!

meleeka

Visit site
I havenā€™t been able to watch it yet, but my little monkey was very cheeky and cantered round with her nose on the floor, I was mortified!! She never does this so I didnā€™t know what to do! Because I donā€™t know much about dog showing šŸ¤£
Itā€™s a strange footing in the arena too, itā€™s like grass rather than carpet and was obviously harbouring lots of smells.
It was such an amazing experience but I do feel I let the breed down a bit by not showing her off properly.
But in my defence, itā€™s only the 4th dog show Iā€™ve ever attended, and the dog is 13 months old and spent a few of those in a cage so we did ok.

We all SO thoroughly enjoyed the day, it was absolutely amazing and I got to meet Claire Balding!

The JRT was a lovely dog, and the owners were so nice, they really deserved it and they really seem to love that dog, I was near them in the collecting ring.
It looked to me like a picture of the breed standard, and exactly how a JRT should look. I hate to see them going short-legged like so many other breeds, personally.

What an unbelievable day. Thank you for all the well-wishers!! And especially @druid for all your past help and advice!

What a massive achievement to get there! Who cares that she might not have shown her best, there will be plenty of time for that. You both had a lovely day and made it to the group judging. Thereā€™s really not many people who can say that, especially with a young dog that has been through such a lot. šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
The smaller JRTs make cracking ratters and rabbiters, though.

I donā€™t know what a snipey head is. Is it another put down?

Yes - for example if you look at my two, someone who doesnā€™t know them could think they are narrow in skull and face because of their markings. They arenā€™t of course, Colin in particular as a dog has a lovely broad skull and great conformation.

Itā€™s the annoying thing about growing up in a showing environment, I always go for dogs who look good šŸ˜Š

Patterdale

Visit site
She wasn't the only one sniffing, no end of dogs were. That green carpet is a totally alien surface to most dogs, and I believe different to the breed rings so understandable that dogs wanted to check it out. For a baby she did amazingly, as did you.

Thank you.
Yes itā€™s completely different, they even have a strip of it in the collecting ring to practice on because some dogs really donā€™t like it. Mine liked it too much, 4 days worth of treats and smells smushed into it šŸ™„šŸ¤£

Patterdale

Visit site
I thought the JRT was a lovely dog. He really showed the great character of the breed. He was very fluffy, which I suspect made him look totally different than he would, if he were a short hair.

He really was beautiful, and a proper terrier but with a lovely temperament. I was pleased for them.