CRUFTS 2024 roll call!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Good luck everyone exhibiting, and enjoy your day. I have mixed memories of Crufts, mainly not good ones as I was there in the London days, and it wasn't fun for dogs or owners. Too many people, walking through streets covered in dog s**t, and halls that were for too hot for what was then a working/now pastoral breed. I did breed rings for many years then the last 2 were agility, most memorable was when I was pregnant, suffering from morning sickness. Travelling across London on the tube with 2 GSDs wasn't fun. I never got to exhibit at NEC tho have visited as a spectator, so much better for the dogs but still too many people :p

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Second in limit dog for the small one 🥈 Now a distinct sense of deja vu as I sit in an empty hall watching his auntie on the big screen, as she’s got best of breed for the second time. I’m not lift sharing with her mum again 😂
Just watching and saw her , fab result . Congratulations on your limit placing too

Morwenna

Visit site
Apparently walks 7 miles a day, unless I have drunk far too much wine already, which is quite feasible 🥂
I heard the same (and haven’t been on the wine). Hopefully they will be able to make some changes to improve the breed with the mandatory testing coming in. I just really hate seeing dogs that have such exaggerated features they are almost caricatures of what the breed should be.

Birker2020

Visit site
I watched in on TV last night. The lads that are stopping down here in the week to work have found it very hard to find digs as everyone and his dog (pardon the pun) are stopping in the locality (our construction site is pretty near the NEC).

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
We will never not be thrilled if you just point and go 'SCHIPPERKE!'

On the long cold walk back to the car last night we were followed by some ladies who had just come out of the arena, "excuse me, were you just in the group? I recognise your trousers!" The fairly distinctive dog was walking alongside but no, it was the mildly jazzy trouser pattern that stole the show.

Just had last night's dinner reheated for lunch (I ended up with dubious NEC chips) and waiting for the ABC final.

Squeak

Visit site
I was really disappointed by the french bull dog winning the group too. I thought he looked fat and unfit and quite a clumsy dog, that was heavy and wasn't impressed by his movement either - I'm in no way a dog judge so I might be completely incorrect but I thought there were some lovely dogs in that group and that one wasn't one of them for me personally.

On a wider note I think it's disappointing to see a dog that has still got such a squashed face being rewarded in the ring. No doubt he will have been a popular winner though given the popularity of the breed.

Clodagh

Visit site
I was really disappointed by the french bull dog winning the group too. I thought he looked fat and unfit and quite a clumsy dog, that was heavy and wasn't impressed by his movement either - I'm in no way a dog judge so I might be completely incorrect but I thought there were some lovely dogs in that group and that one wasn't one of them for me personally.

On a wider note I think it's disappointing to see a dog that has still got such a squashed face being rewarded in the ring. No doubt he will have been a popular winner though given the popularity of the breed.
And now he can sire 8967 litters, using AI.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
On a wider note I think it's disappointing to see a dog that has still got such a squashed face being rewarded in the ring.

He was also best of breed in 2023 and has had multiple best of breeds, group wins and best in show wins in the intervening 12 months. His sire (same kennel) holds the breed record for number of CCs, IIRC. You can understand why the breeder wouldn't change a winning formula, when they keep being rewarded for it. The KC need to step up and actually be seen to take action rather than just paying lip service.

Love

Visit site
Heading home to get the horses in after a fab day. Managed to catch the end of the GWP breed judging, enjoyed the agility and have spent far too much money 🤣 excited to catch the group judging in tv tonight.

Side note: if anyone is going to buy vetbed there is a magazine stand next to it that has a voucher for a free piece when you sign up for £9.99. Rather than just spending £22 like we did without realising 🤣 (I did manage to win the argument with Mr. L and get the one with pink hearts on it at least)

Morwenna

Visit site
Cat the Vet has put a good post on fb about the Frenchie.
That was really interesting. I’m confused about how that dog scored 0 as I’m sure they said yesterday when they did a segment on the test that part of it is having visibly open nostrils which that dog clearly does not.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Difficulty breathing, spinal deformity, eye, skin and heart problems. Poor little souls haven't got much going for them health wise.