Dangerous stallion?

TwyfordM

Visit site
So my friend has had a horrific experience yesterday. She was near to the fence line to a neighbouring field. This fence borders both their yards grazing and a bridle path.

Out of nowhere, a stallion attacked her. Came up behind her, she didn't see it coming. Grabbing her initially by the hair and pulling her through the barbed wire fence. He then grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her halfway across the field, the only reason he dropped her was because her mare (bloody good pony!) jumped a couple of fences and saw the stallion off, and kept him away from my friend to allow her to get out the field. She's also now in a bad way and covered in bites/kicks ☹️

Friend is still in hospital. One wrist is shattered, they are trying to figure out how to plate it as it's a mess. Other wrist is broken, eye socket broken and she's covered head to toe in wounds from the barbed wire fence. She's lost a huge amount of blood, and so lucky to be alive given she was on the yard alone and had to make her way up to the stables before collapsing and being found by another livery.

Recovery is going to be long, she's an endurance racer with a team of 4 Arabs so lots of help going to be needed with them, and she's a full time carer for her disabled daughter who she's not going to be able to lift for sometime due to the injuries.

Any advice, legal etc on what we can do to help?

Stallion is dangerous and needs either moving away from any neighbouring properties or a bullet IMO as an unprovoked attack like that is not normal.

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
Good grief, that sounds and looks horrific! I hope your friend makes a good recovery.

Her little mare needs to be nominated for those animal hero awards or something! What an amazing little horse! (I’m fairly sure mine would both just watch me die!)

Who owns the stallion and what have they said? I think I’d be having it PTS if it were mine, what if it turned on the owner one day too?

TwyfordM

Visit site
Good grief, that sounds and looks horrific! I hope your friend makes a good recovery.

Her little mare needs to be nominated for those animal hero awards or something! What an amazing little horse! (I’m fairly sure mine would both just watch me die!)

Who owns the stallion and what have they said? I think I’d be having it PTS if it were mine, what if it turned on the owner one day too?

Don't know what's been said by the stallions owners yet (traveller herd) but I think they're more likely to just make it disappear than do the right thing 😳

Scary to think that it might get passed on to someone completely in the dark

ETA, Sats is a gem. Nutty as, but then she would have to be to attempt what she did!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Jesus wept, the stallion should be kept well away from people. If it was a dog, or mine, it would be shot.

The mare should get a medal.

I'd be pretty certain that she could sue the owner of the stallion, it shouldn't have been in reach of a human who didn't know it.

ETA I've just read that they are travellers so she can probably say goodbye to that idea. I hope she has reported this to the police.

Last edited:

TwyfordM

Visit site
Jesus wept, the stallion should be kept well away from people. If it was a dog, or mine, it would be shot.

The mare should get a medal.

I'd be pretty certain that she could sue the owner of the stallion, it shouldn't have been in reach of a human who didn't know it.

ETA I've just read that they are travellers so she can say goodbye to that idea. I hope she has reported this to the police.

Yep, I don't think it's going to get far on a legal route either ☹️ her son works for the police so that's all taken care of thankfully

TwyfordM

Visit site
It's just the fact it was completely unprovoked that worries me, you'd maybe understand to some extent if she had been shooing it away from the fence or trying to work with it. But she didn't even see it before it grabbed her 😳😳

One of her own Arabs is a rig, and another is an ex breeding stallion who was going to be PTS for similar bouts of aggression, but he was prev beaten and with the extra hormones was just fighting fire with fire. So she knows how to handle herself around stallions and both boys are now easily handled and don't put a foot out of line because of her hard work and patience.

She's got so much experience, she would never put herself in harms way, especially because of her daughter

The field also borders the footpath/bridlepath so that could have been anyone 😳

SEL

Visit site
That's horrendous - such completely unnatural horse behaviour. Your poor friend

Given I had one PTS who I thought was dangerous but was not even on the same scale as that, I think what needs to happen is obvious. I do wonder what on earth has gone on in that stallion's life to make it react like that.

If it wasn't travellers I'd be going after them with a civil case for injuries.

Patterdale

Visit site
What an horrific experience. And what a bloody crying shame that it is owned by travellers, she should be getting a 6 figure payout for this. But if you can’t find who owns it then how do you go about that?

It’s obviously very early days for her to be worrying about this, but some reliable person needs to be getting legal advice for her 9am tomorrow.

Your poor friend. I hope her recovery is better than expected.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Imagine if her mare hadn't come to the rescue or if it was a child it attacked. Hopefully the police will get them to at least have it PTS

I honestly think she would be dead, he only dropped her wrist and stopped dragging her was because her mare came and she only got out the field as she kept him away and gave her a chance to get out.

Her face is messed up too ☹️

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh my words, poor poor woman, that is absolutely horrific. That little mare of hers, what a wonderful heroic animal. Did the little mare jump out of the stallion field again once her owner got clear?

Surely there is some route the police can use to get this animal euthanised?

Will you share if there is a fundraise for her

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The stallion owner should be sued for all the vet costs for the mare and the costs related to caring for your friend's daughter and horses while she is out of action. They might be traveller types but it sounds as if they have a permanent base, so aren't as likely to disappear, themselves, even if the stallion is moved on quickly.

Last edited:

TwyfordM

Visit site
Oh my words, poor poor woman, that is absolutely horrific. That little mare of hers, what a wonderful heroic animal. Did the little mare jump out of the stallion field again once her owner got clear?

Surely there is some route the police can use to get this animal euthanised?

Will you share if there is a fundraise for her

She managed to get out through the gate and mare followed. Someone went and fetched her off the bridle path once they got friend off to hospital and sorted out her wounds, yep will do. Hoping there's an update tomorrow re surgery so we've got some idea on time frames

Last edited:

Sossigpoker

Visit site
The stallion owner should be sued for all the vet costs for the mare and the costs related to caring for your friend's daughter and horses while she is put of action. They might be traveller types but it sounds as if they have a permanent base, so aren't as likely to disappear, themselves, even if the stallion is moved on quickly.
They're travellers so

Visit site
They're travellers so

Travellers shouldn't be able to get away with it just because they are travellers. People shouldn't just back down and do nothing because they are travellers. No she probably won't see a penny of compensation out of them but she can sure as hell make life difficult for them in the mean time! They aren't above and beyond the law.