Dangerous stallion?

millikins

Visit site
If it's safe to do so, it might be worth going back to the field to get a photo of the stallion to distribute.
I thought the same, someone with a camera and zoom lens rather than a phone. Harder for it to be "disappeared" if there are accurate photos.
I hope your poor friend makes a speedy recovery, that is just appalling.
It is awful enough to be worth national news, maybe DM?

TwyfordM

Visit site
What part of Kent ? It’s not a palamino is it? How utterly terrifying for your poor friend and what an amazing little mare, did it go for her too ?

Medway, not sure on colour haven't asked.

Yeah Satiya is covered in bites/kicks but thankfully no major injury and she's an endurance racer not a show horse

Last edited:

TwyfordM

Visit site
I am totally appalled by this. Just thinking about it is sending shivers down my spine. That brave little mare, not many that would do that, darn sure mine wouldn't. Your poor friend, her injuries are going to take a lot of getting over and the mental trauma too. I've donated, wish there was more I could do.

My old mare shoved herself between my mum who was heavily pregnant with sister and another horse who aimed a kick at her. Honey took the kick to the shoulder pretty hard as the mare had shoes on but if that had hit mum in the stomach ... dread to think

PurBee

Visit site
Such a shocking injury to happen to your friend Twyford, i hope she recovers and heals speedily. Love her pic on GFM on her brave mare, got to love a loyal arab. 😍 Brave friend and pony, and lucky to have you as her friend too.

For financial help there are ‘injury compensation’ government schemes. My friend availed of it when he was left with a facial scar after an attack by a person, who wasn’t arrested/prosecuted - so that didnt need a ‘criminal prosecution’ for the processing of the claim. He submitted pictures of scar injuries, with his claim.

Ive just been having a google what government funds are available now, as im unsure as it was so long ago, which particular compensation fund my friend claimed to.

There’s the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority:

Within that funding there’s a ‘Hardship Fund’, which your friend may qualify for. Here’s their guide on that:

It seems like there are a few fund schemes government run which likely will help - which one to apply for in her situation may be tricky to assertain, so probably best to get in touch with the main department running the funding, explaining the situation, and hopefully the staff will advise which fund would be best to apply for.

irishdraft

Visit site
What a horrific thing to happen and thank God for the brave mare to save your friends life .
Travellers shouldn't be able to get away with it just because they are travellers. People shouldn't just back down and do nothing because they are travellers. No she probably won't see a penny of compensation out of them but she can sure as hell make life difficult for them in the mean time! They aren't above and beyond the law.
I absolutely agree with this, why should these people bear no responsibility for their actions that's how they keep getting away with their attitude to animals and other members of society. Im sending your friend my best wishes x

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
Shocked and horrified by this, unbelievable that the stallion owner may also of had inadequate fencing that it could get so close to do that. Are there not rules too around fencing type and height, especially next to public rights of way?

I really hope that your friend will be ok, there are some incredibly nasty injuries there and she could well be permanently scarred. I hope she also gets some help with the mental trauma side of it. Thinking of her and the rest of the family.

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site

TwyfordM

Visit site
Shocked and horrified by this, unbelievable that the stallion owner may also of had inadequate fencing that it could get so close to do that. Are there not rules too around fencing type and height, especially next to public rights of way?

I really hope that your friend will be ok, there are some incredibly nasty injuries there and she could well be permanently scarred. I hope she also gets some help with the mental trauma side of it. Thinking of her and the rest of the family.

I think we forget sometimes what horses are capable of. I've dealt with lots of stallions over the years and they do seem to have that you give them an inch they'll take a mile, and fight response seems to come quicker than geldings/mares.

I've been trampled before when some youngsters spooked etc, but you know they don't do it with intent and that's bad enough.
But when a horse actively wants to hurt you and goes out of its way to attack you rather than feeling cornered, that's horrific.

There was one stallion I didn't like going in with because he would fight you at every stage and react badly if you told him off. He got gelded thankfully

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Was the heroic mare OK? How did she get out afterwards?
Just got off a 3 hour flight and been thinking about the victim and her pony - I've never even heard of anything like this !

A few summers back some local riders were attacked by a stallion on a bridleway and IIRC the gelding kept the stallion away from the mare - with terrified riders on top! I thought that was scary enough but this is just beyond horrifying.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Was the heroic mare OK? How did she get out afterwards?
Just got off a 3 hour flight and been thinking about the victim and her pony - I've never even heard of anything like this !

A few summers back some local riders were attacked by a stallion on a bridleway and IIRC the gelding kept the stallion away from the mare - with terrified riders on top! I thought that was scary enough but this is just beyond horrifying.

Haven't seen the extent of her injuries but don't think it's too bad. Lots of bites/scratches and imagine she's pretty sore, 😳

She kept stallion away from friend while she managed to get to her feet and to the gate, once friend was out the gate she opened it to let her out onto bridle path and made her way up to the yard. Someone went back down to catch Sats once she was on route to hospital.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Are we all sure this report is absolutely bona fide?
Oh come on! Are you actually accusing TwyfordM of making this up? Did you see the pictures?

Your poor friend, I hope she recovers from those horrific injuries. What a mare! But that's arabs for you; loyal little fighters.

I think someone suggested it upthread a bit, but it would be worth contacting some news outlets, would help in several ways, not least in preventing any spiriting away of the stallion. Also photos of the horse for later identification. The horse should be put down; that behaviour is not normal.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
That is absolutely terrifying. I think we all know that stallions do need good handling as they can be more aggressive, but that level of aggression is not normal at all. The horse absolutely needs putting down. No good just gelding it - you'd never be able to trust him again anyway. Your poor friend, I really hope the police takes this seriously and acts.

conniegirl

Visit site
Oh my, thats awful.
What a brave little mare.

I too have had a pony put themself between me and danger. Little spitfire of a section b, all 12.2hh of him put himself between me and a big hunter who came for my in a field.
I was about 12 at the time and its another reason why mine wont be going on herd turnout at any livery yard.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I also wonder what's been done to the stallion to make him so aggressive. I've never heard of a stallion purposefully attacking a human !

Velcrobum

Visit site
I also wonder what's been done to the stallion to make him so aggressive. I've never heard of a stallion purposefully attacking a human !
Sadly it does happen my OH had a groom in ITU who was mauled by a stallion. Some of them are very aggressive I know of a dressage stallion that was only handled by 2 men when it came out of its stable, all other people on the yard went inside just in case it got loose. It was only alive as it had been a successful GP horse and produced quality offspring.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Sadly it does happen my OH had a groom in ITU who was mauled by a stallion. Some of them are very aggressive I know of a dressage stallion that was only handled by 2 men when it came out of its stable, all other people on the yard went inside just in case it got loose. It was only alive as it had been a successful GP horse and produced quality offspring.
Wow that's bad!
I've known stallions that are very spicy indeed but humans would never be the intended target , just collateral damage.