Diary of an aspiring work rider

Work_Rider

Visit site
Hi all,

With absolutely no riding experience I was desperately looking for a racing yard that would allow me to learn to ride a racehorse. My attempts to join racing schools in the UK were of no use because I already had a full-time job in a completely different sector. But I still wanted to ride out on the weekends. The 6 to 12 week or longer courses were not an option because of time and age constraints. Bespoke courses at the college up north wanted people who could at least canter at pace. I had never ridden a horse and didn't know what canter meant until a few weeks ago. Local riding schools in London are expensive and I didn't see 'value' in them. I wasn't that patient to wait for months to be able to trot or canter.

Next option was to use some sort of a barter system with established yards. I searched for yards closest to London but there aren't many. One in Epsom responded to my email but it was clear they didn't have the time to train me. As if contacting professional racehorse trainers for riding lessons in exchange for help at their yard wasn't silly enough, I decided to approach some of the more popular and larger yards in Newmarket. I did this because the smaller yards said they're too busy to entertain someone like me. One of the replies was positive and they were happy for me to visit them one day but it wasn't promising as no riding experience would be involved. Emails weren't working so I used the phone. Silly me, I thought the person I was speaking was an assistant trainer because of their first name sounded familiar and I was turned down instantly as they only recruited experienced riders. I was getting more and more frustrated so I decided to follow up again with the same person hoping they'd budge. Didn't happen. Instead I got a proper bollocking.

In the next few days I received a response from a mid-sized yard asking me to ring them up. Similar to other yards they were happy for me to visit them but I won't be able to sit on a racehorse! This time I said okay and fixed a weekend to visit.

Day 1: I traveled from London to the countryside with mixed feelings - they've already refused to let me sit on a horse, what's the point and so on. But I was also pleased that I was leaving London for a few hours and use this time to relax. My girlfriend was very supportive and had insisted I visited. I took the first possible train at 5ish and was at the yard for around 7. The property I walked into was huge but no sign of any humans. I walked for ten minutes and I paused - immediately I was thinking about dogs. Bloody hell I thought country people leave dogs on their properties. What if is there is a dog waiting to attack a stranger? I ran towards the main entrance but on the way I noticed a path going elsewhere. I followed and soon saw a massive gate which was open. I stepped in only to notice a rider on a horse that felt gigantic at the time. The wind was a bit chilly, the air was fresh, I could hear the horses and suddenly I was in a different world. That was my first sight of a racehorse from so close. It was magnificent. Wow I thought, beautiful, such a big horse. That's when some of my anxiety disappeared and for once I felt I did the right decision visiting the yard. I was pleased.

Suddenly I noticed some of the other guys in the yard looking at me whilst trying to get on with their work. I didn't know where to go so naturally took a step back waiting for the rider who recognised me to come back around. Then I almost jumped - as I felt this frightening presence of a horse right behind me! Seemed like a dinosaurus trying to eat me. I'm not used to animals and I'm sure I embarrassed myself in front of the staff!

Soon I met with the trainer who seemed like a nice chap. A quick chat and he told me how I'd be tired and be in pain by the end of the day because yard work is hard. I was introduced with the head lad and asked to follow him. Head lad (HL) was trying to understand why someone with full-time job in an office would be at a yard. This is how our first conversation went:

HL: So you work in the city?
Me: Yes, I do.
HL: What are you doing here?
Me: Oh I want to volunteer, do whatever it takes to help out, make your life easier and hopefully ride out as well.
HL: So you ride racehorses?
Me: Oh no, not yet.
HL: then just normal horses?
Me: No but I want to learn.
HL: how do you think you'd learn, going to a racing school or something? How old are you? Why get into racing? Why switch careers?
Me: I'm not switching jobs, I just want to learn how to ride?
HL: But whyyyyyyy?
Me: It's a skilled thing to do, riding racehorses is difficult but it's an awesome thing to do. I'm sure when you ride you enjoy it!
HL: Enjoy? Most experienced riders are on the verge of shitting themselves when they ride!
Me: *in my mind - what is he on about? what happened to being on a gallop is closest thing to flying on land and stuff?* So if I worked hard how long do you think I'd take to learn to ride? Oh and I'd visit once a week.
HL: hahahahah, learn to ride? here? at this yard? by visiting just once a week? May be 3-5 years!
Me: Screw years, talk in months.
HL: It's not that easy! I've ridden for 30 years and I stopped riding a couple of years ago so I know how hard it is. You are old and you don't seem like a guy who has been around animals.

By this time I realised there was no point trying to sell myself. I had to just wait and observe. Learn as much as possible without being an obstacle. I was grateful for the opportunity. In the next few hours another very experienced person told me it was impossible to get on a racehorse for someone like me. I was a bit shattered. Not a single person, not even one, was willing to say, ok this will be hard but this is how you can do it.

I decided to shut up and observe and follow instructions. Simple. I had to start by changing their perception. I offered to muck out. Never done that in my life. They were stunned. The first time I walked in a stable the horse wasn't there. HL refused to allow me to muck out. He believed after everything he had said I'd just quit and not visit them again. So he wanted me to take it easy and instead asked me to fill buckets. By the time I was done I knew there would be no riding at this yard. But I was determined. I liked the experience, it was a challenge.

It was time to say, thanks and goodbye, goodbye for now, and see you next Saturday!

To be continued......

Auslander

Visit site
Good on you for taking steps to do what you want to do. I'm impressed that you've taken the bull by the horns, and found yourself somewhere to learn about looking after racehorses.
There is however, no way on earth that any trainer is going to teach you to ride on a working racehorse. For a start, they have owners - they don't belong to the trainer. These owners pay an eyewatering amount of money to have their horses trained, with the end goal of them wining races. They have a job to do - and their job is not to be riding school horses for novices. Young Thoroughbreds are not suitable mounts for beginner riders, particularly when they are racing fit - and the busy schedule of a racing yard will not factor in time to teach a helper to ride, even if they have a suitable horse (who won't be an in-training racehorse)
You need to learn to ride elsewhere, on suitable horses, then, when you're competent (this will almost certainly take years, rather than months) you might get the chance to ride a proper racehorse. It's good that you've got an in at a racing yard, but I think you will find that you'll do nothing but fill buckets and shovel poo there. The chances of you even handling a young thoroughbred on the ground are pretty slim, let alone being allowed to ride one. Sorry to be negative - but that's the brutal truth

TheMule

Visit site
Learning to ride on a racehorse would be like learning to drive in a Formula 1 car. Incredibly dangerous and incredibly stupid!
Go take some lessons in a riding school if you want to ride.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When I learned to ride, fifty years ago in a riding school, they struck beginner adults on horses and took them out on a hack. Everyone was competent in walk and light seat canter after twelve weeks of one hour a week. Many people cantered much earlier than that. Some people would turn up claiming they could ride, and canter on their first ride even though it was clear they had only ever been led on a beach donkey.

I think we have forgotten that it really doesn't take years, for a balanced and fit person, to learn to ride a horse in a string following the horse in front, doing sitting or standing trot and light seat canter.

Work_rider I will be looking forward to your next installment. You're barking, though, you know that don't you 😜 ?

Auslander

Visit site
I think we have forgotten that it really doesn't take years, for a balanced and fit person, to learn to ride a horse in a string following the horse in front, doing sitting or standing trot and light seat canter.

Being competent enough to be trusted to ride a valuable racehorse in training, to influence pace, way of going etc etc, and to know how to cope if things go a bit pear shaped is rather different to cantering on a riding school horse though. I did a couple of seasons with racehorses - we were considered to be quite an important part of the horses training - not just the brakes and steering

be positive

Visit site
When I learned to ride, fifty years ago in a riding school, they struck beginner adults on horses and took them out on a hack. Everyone was competent in walk and light seat canter after twelve weeks of one hour a week. Many people cantered much earlier than that. Some people would turn up claiming they could ride, and canter on their first ride even though it was clear they had only ever been led on a beach donkey.

Work_rider I will be looking forward to your next installment. You're barking, though, you know that don't you 😜 ?

At the racing school they take non riders for a 12 week course and have them riding competently by the end, all on ex racehorses, so they can go straight into yards, it is not impossible for an adult to learn quickly but a huge amount depends on their fitness, bravery, or possibly stupidity, and what is driving them, it seems that the racing school is not an option for the OP but a good RS or maybe a polo school could get him started then a course at a racing school could be a possibility, he certainly isn't going to ride in a training yard.

Looking forward to the next installment and agree you must be barking!!

ycbm

Visit site
At the racing school they take non riders for a 12 week course and have them riding competently by the end, all on ex racehorses, so they can go straight into yards, it is not impossible for an adult to learn quickly but a huge amount depends on their fitness, bravery, or possibly stupidity, and what is driving them, it seems that the racing school is not an option for the OP but a good RS or maybe a polo school could get him started then a course at a racing school could be a possibility, he certainly isn't going to ride in a training yard.

Looking forward to the next installment and agree you must be barking!!

Fitness bravery stupidity - spot on BP !!

Visit site
You are bat poop crazy OP! BUT if You are willing to put the hours in you may get the chance to be taught in the off season if you prove your worth as a crafter at the weekends. We have taught people, granted much younger than yourself, to deal with racehorses and have taught a few to ride once they became accustomed to working with the horses. All in our summer when the majority of horses are on their holidays and the yard is much quieter.

Are you in a flat yard or a national hunt yard?

In the mean time I suggest you go get yourself fit at the gym!

It's not an easy thing to do and it's not something many people with absolutely no experience of animals let alone horses is willing to do.

I do look forward to the next episode - even if it is fantasy 😉

Archangel

Visit site
I've always wanted to be a racing driver so I think I will give Lewis Hamilton a call. I could rock up on a Saturday and take his Mercedes for a spin round the track. I mean I've ridden a bicycle and everything and I saw a car the other day, it even came up behind me and it was a big one and even though I was scared I didn't run away. I will be OK in a F1 car because I want to do it and that's enough. I will be really patient and patronising with Toto and Bernie because they just bang on about skill and fitness and how Lewis makes it look so easy and everything la la la. I reckon I could be World Champion by the end of next season.

I could polish the other cars as a payment or even fix the wheels and stuff.

What could possibly go wrong?

Work_Rider

Visit site
Made my earlier post late in the night and surprised to see a few replies already. Thank you for taking the time.

My intention was to make this into a thread that will have some quality information and experiences from the yard I volunteer at. If all goes well this could also be used by young kids who at times are lost and clueless in terms of a career and no one to guide them. For some of them racing is an option. There are real examples you can look up online. Two good racing colleges in the UK give youngsters this opportunity. Even if one such person ends up reading my stuff and decides to take up racing and does well will be worth it for me.

However, I have noticed a post that is patronising but all you need to know is that you are wasting your time with your ‘opinions’. Facts make sense to me, opinions not so much unless I know and respect you. Last time someone gave me tickets for Lords I got bored sitting watching the test game with others so instead went to the nets at the back and was standing right next to some professional cricketers. I cheered them, had a word with a few and talked with backup players who don’t get much attention. I could tell they were happy to talk. See where this is going? That’s just me. I never wanted to ride the best horse in the yard. Heck, if someone paid me money to sit on a good horse I’d refuse without hesitation.

I understand riding a racehorse will be an honour for someone like me. But every weekend I manage to spend quality time with some people who’ve been in racing for years, bump into a jockey who’s a Group 1 winner. EKW (someone I respect from his posts here) has stated in response that it will be hard work, but possible 😊 I want this. I want this bad and I’m crazy enough to go for it so stop with the sarcasm as you are better off investing your “limited time” elsewhere!

So here is some more context for you guys:
Goal: To be competent enough to ride racehorses on the gallops in a way that I am able to communicate any feedback to the trainer. A work rider has many tasks at hand but having a feel for their horses and communicating feedback after a ride to the trainer is paramount – this looks like a hard thing to do. I’ve followed user EKW and realised the job is risky and difficult but can be rewarding as well. This will take years, no doubt. But being on a horseback in a few months is definitely possible. i.e. I can be on a horse, walk and may be trot and that’s fine for now.

1 Why racehorses? It was all about quality and working with athletes (horses) that in my opinion are supreme creatures. I love behind the scenes stuff irrespective of the industry. A race which lasts for a few minutes is just one part of the equation. Reading on this forum only confirmed that a significant amount of effort goes into preparing these horses. That’s the experience I’m having right now and I’m loving it.

2 Why a racing yard and not a non-racing riding school? After realising I’ve become obsessed with racehorses my girlfriend booked me a trial lesson in London for which she paid over £100. I was on a horse for less than an hour and I felt guilty even sitting on this animal because he looked old and tired. The instructor kept pulling the horse. After questioning the instructor during the lesson my conclusion was this – most horses in similar schools are made to work 5-8 hours a day which may be too much, riding these horses was extremely different to riding racehorses (even basics like holding reigns), lessons are specific to riding in most cases; I would not get to hang around and see what else happens with the horses when they are not working and no one will have a go at me for messing up – typical British schools where teachers tend to be easy and get into trouble for disciplining their students! I wanted a tougher environment, seriously, else I will get bored and fall asleep!

3 Why a racing yard and not a racing riding school? I live in London and have a full-time job here, work long hours. Racing schools offer courses that last over a month and are for younger people. Taking time away wasn’t an option as I can’t afford to quit my job. NRC does shorter bespoke courses but as mentioned above they want people who can canter. School in Newmarket also does a transition to racing course in March which is around a week long. Both options are open for me but before that I want to learn how to canter. I’m not trying to avoid racing schools, just want to be eligible and competent enough to get admitted to these schools for shorter bespoke courses. Simple.

4. Other points: When I contacted the yard, I made it very clear that I didn’t want to be an obstacle in any way. I have been working for a firm for a few years and consider myself senior enough to have some level of supervision over juniors who join my desk. If someone approached me for an internship or a job I’d grill them big time and any sign of lack of genuine interest will work against the candidate. I know how busy businesses can be. I just wanted to be a guy in the yard who can help but in return learn as well. If this learning involved a bit of riding that would be a bonus.

5. Answers to points made by other users are hopefully covered above. Just noticed EKW responded as well 😊 It’s primarily a flat yard but they occasionally do NH as well.

For me, with regards to learning about racehorses nothing beats spending time in a racing yard. I’ve been visiting once a week but have spent enough time to know some of the people in the yard well and no one has asked me to muck out. Since August I’ve mucked out 3-4 times, that’s it. I had to force the head lad (HL) to allow me to do it! Many yards turned me down but then I just got lucky to be around people who understand why I’m there and allow me to do whatever I want. It just happens that I never sit idle, always running here and there to help and follow one experienced rider who’s been riding for over 30 years. When he’s out on the gallops I follow the HL and assist him.

In my next post I will talk a bit more about my experiences.

ihatework

Visit site
This is the funniest thread I have read in a while, I so hope it’s not a wind up!!!! I can only imagine the trainer and HL face and subsequent conversations.

OP I’m going to take it on face value and assume it’s not a wind up.

Do I believe a committed person could go from never having sat on a horse to exercise riding on the gallops? Of course - just look at Victoria Pendleton.

Do I believe that a full time city worker who seems to have no sense of reality could - No!

I do believe a city worker who was willing to sacrifice things and take advice, could do.

First step’s - learn to ride. This involves paying a riding school to teach you on a dobbin. It won’t be a great deal of fun but it’s essential. You want to ride a racehorse up some gallops before the end of 2019, then I’d say 6 months, 3 x week of decent private lessons will have you to the point where you could take a short sabbatical from work and do the British racing school course. At the end of that if you are fit enough and learn quickly enough you might find some low key P-to-P/jump trainers who would let you exercise ride on a weekend, but even then you would need to prove yourself and they won’t be forming a queue

HeyMich

Visit site
Racehorses aren't fairground rides. They are highly skilled beasts that cost thousands and thousands of pounds to breed, train, keep fit and race. No trainers/owners will let a (possibly slightly over-confident) city worker sit on them and have a go at cantering - can you imagine the insurance claims following the inevitable fall?

If I were you OP, I would learn the basics how the rest of the population learn (riding school and then maybe racing school). I'm very glad that the yard you have started to volunteer at are being kind and generous, but you might find yourself shoveling muck for a few years before you even get to sit on a horse, let alone canter on one!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Horses are amazing beasts, and you becoming calm and confident around them is a life skill that I think everyone should learn, and at the end of the day if that's all that comes from this, then it has been a worthwhile experience for you.

SEL

Visit site
Still not convinced this isn't a wind up!

OP - how many days have you done at the yard now? You should at least be competent mucking out after a few weeks.

Tarragon

Visit site
This is a very curious thread... and I am intrigued.
If you think of the way they must train the soldiers who join a cavalry regiment, they must be taught to ride from nothing in a matter of weeks, but that surely must be very intensive and just living and breathing everything equine for the duration and not done a few hours every weekend.
Wasn't there a show on television where they took celebrities and taught them to ride? I seem to remember that Jennifer Saunders was one of them.
If someone had enough money and determination there will be ways and means to learn how to ride, and offering to work unpaid as a stable lad in racing yards does show a certain something - not sure what though - especially if you are not a horse mad teenager!

LaurenBay

Visit site
I think its great you want to learn. However if you are only wanting to ride a race horse I fear you will be in for a very long wait. They need a certain type of rider, someone with confidence and experience as they are very sharp. They are bred and trained to a high standard and I don't think a yard would allow a complete beginner to sit on a Horse. The reason they probably didn't want you to muck out is because they will have to stick to a very strict time frame in order to complete all their work. A novice person would not be able to do it as quickly and will therefore cause a delay.

I know you said you wouldn't consider a riding school as you believe the Horses are not quality Horses, I think you perhaps went to the wrong place. At my old RS we had some super Horses, one Horse was in the film Black Beauty, Another was ridden by Pippa Funnel, another was an ex race Horse. Some were BSJA (showjumping) Horses. You would benefit more by a yard of this type.

Visit site
Op you say your more into the behind the scenes stuff. Why don't you break things down into smaller goals to keep you going. Racing can be very demoralizing at times.

Goal 1 - make yourself useful on the yard doing anything asked of you - scrubbing buckets, mucking out, bedding up etc.

Goal 2 - start working with the horses on the ground. To and from the walker, field (if the yard does turnout) grooming them at evening stables.

Goal 3 - leading a Horse up at the races. Once you are proficient and confident at handling them then ask if you can take a quiet handicapper out to the races. I can honestly assure you that the riding is just a very small part and there really is nothing like the pride you feel when you take a Horse to the races and watch it run its best race possible!

Goal 4 - ask if you can sit on the yard hack/quietest one. But before you do this I really do recommend getting some lessons elsewhere as well as being quite fit from the gym.

All the while ask questions. Don't ask stupid questions. Apart from being bat poop crazy you don't sound like a complete idiot. If you ask what something is -like a piece of tack - ask why it is used as well. Learn everything you can. Make friends with people. Ie - take in a tub of sweets or something! Work riders will eat anything! And it is always appreciated! You don't need to do this every week! Goodness no! Butonce in a while it pays to keep people happy 😉

As to riding school horses - no they aren't blood horses. They are safe, sane, do whatever is asked of them and are worth their weight in gold! They do an incredibly important job in the equine world and should not be dismissed because they aren't prancing and dancing on the end of a rope!

Last edited:

LaurenBay

Visit site
This is a very curious thread... and I am intrigued.
If you think of the way they must train the soldiers who join a cavalry regiment, they must be taught to ride from nothing in a matter of weeks, but that surely must be very intensive and just living and breathing everything equine for the duration and not done a few hours every weekend.
Wasn't there a show on television where they took celebrities and taught them to ride? I seem to remember that Jennifer Saunders was one of them.
If someone had enough money and determination there will be ways and means to learn how to ride, and offering to work unpaid as a stable lad in racing yards does show a certain something - not sure what though - especially if you are not a horse mad teenager!

Only Fools on Horses? It was Tim Stockdale who taught them.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Didn't they used to offer the chance to compete in charity races as I would have loved to be able to do it, however know you used to have to ride out for the trainer in "prep" for the race so wouldn't be able to fit it around my job and I'd imagine you'd have to have basic riding requirements? Now though I think it's more "elitist" to be able to compete as have seen horse and hound advertise but you have to be able to be in touch with a trainer who can provide a horse and raise a large amount of sponsorship.

You're very brave/ mad op I can't imagine working long hours in London in the week then paying to commute to try and work your way up on a yard.

You say people at the riding school aren't able to stay around after the lesson, if you're willing to travel to the race yard you're better off finding a better school, the one where I keep my horse actively shows the clients how to untack etc after the lessons, once you've done the basics you may be able to help out around the yard maybe even in exchange for rides. The yard or one nearby may offer hacks where you will get to canter when competent enough. Eventually once you are competent riding/ handling you may be able to find a share horse or loan one from the riding school where with the owners permission you could go on all sorts of interesting hacks, I gallop regularly on my horse when hacking.

I think that would be a less demoralizing route for you but I shall follow the thread with interest. Excellent advice from EKW etc.

I would also imagine insurance is a huge consideration for the racing yard, not saying you would but I won't let anyone on my horse due to so many stories about people suing if they come off, it's not worth the risk even though me and he both have insurance. He is definitely not a racehorse!! Imagine if the yard let you on a horse having never ridden, it took off and you had an accident, they are thinking of the safety of their horses and business. Whereas at the rs you could learn in a controlled environment at the very least til you get the basics then progress.

I think you can get gifts of a morning on the gallops " so that may be a good gift to ask for/ treat yourself to?

Also without being rude, how much do you weigh? Know racing yards have strict weight limits for their staff so something else to consider.

Work_Rider

Visit site
I appreciate all helpful the suggestions. It's just that I am already going at the yard for a few months and have made good progress.

I believe some people haven't read my posts fully - just to reiterate, I will certainly go to a racing school for shorter and a bespoke course in Q1 or Q2 next year. Last thing I want to do is be on gallops waiting for a serious accident to happen! A number of people at the yard have been to racing school and it is inspiring to know how they went from no riding skills at all to becoming good enough to land a job at a professional trainer.

Will make a separate thread on my second day or second day clubbed with a few others as too many questions and pointers flowing in!

Work_Rider

Visit site
Op you say your more into the behind the scenes stuff. Why don't you break things down into smaller goals to keep you going. Racing can be very demoralizing at times.

Goal 1 - make yourself useful on the yard doing anything asked of you - scrubbing buckets, mucking out, bedding up etc.

Goal 2 - start working with the horses on the ground. To and from the walker, field (if the yard does turnout) grooming them at evening stables.

Goal 3 - leading a Horse up at the races. Once you are proficient and confident at handling them then ask if you can take a quiet handicapper out to the races. I can honestly assure you that the riding is just a very small part and there really is nothing like the pride you feel when you take a Horse to the races and watch it run its best race possible!

Goal 4 - ask if you can sit on the yard hack/quietest one. But before you do this I really do recommend getting some lessons elsewhere as well as being quite fit from the gym.

All the while ask questions. Don't ask stupid questions. Apart from being bat poop crazy you don't sound like a complete idiot. If you ask what something is -like a piece of tack - ask why it is used as well. Learn everything you can. Make friends with people. Ie - take in a tub of sweets or something! Work riders will eat anything! And it is always appreciated! You don't need to do this every week! Goodness no! Butonce in a while it pays to keep people happy 😉

As to riding school horses - no they aren't blood horses. They are safe, sane, do whatever is asked of them and are worth their weight in gold! They do an incredibly important job in the equine world and should not be dismissed because they aren't prancing and dancing on the end of a rope!

Thanks!

Already executing points 1 and 2 above.

Will save my comment on goal 3 and 4 for next post. Definitely going to the gym, yes fitness is so important here.

Frankly I have been carrying some food and sweets for people at work simply because they're neutral or nice with me and answer any questions I have.

ycbm

Visit site
Someone has suggested that y you need to learn to ride at a riding school before you go to race school. This is not true, they take non riders and turn out work riders fit to employ in12-14 weeks.

Several people have suggested that all race horses are flighty beasts worth a lot of money. This is not true either. Many of them, particularly the bigger ones, are a steady, sensible ride. And many of them are worth peanuts, they just happen to have owners who like to see a horse in training and follow it at race courses.

Work_Rider

Visit site
Still not convinced this isn't a wind up!

OP - how many days have you done at the yard now? You should at least be competent mucking out after a few weeks.

Once I decided to muck out a stable with permission from HL while he was lunging a yearling. I ended up cleaning the stable for half an hour and by the end most of the straw was out! Senior rider was shocked haha asking where all the bedding went? I approached mucking out differently - when humans do their business in the mornings, normal ones clean themselves properly and flush the loo. If required you flush twice. As this was my first time mucking out, I went after every tiny bit of poop and pee and as a result all of the bedding was out!

Work_Rider

Visit site
Someone has suggested that y you need to learn to ride at a riding school before you go to race school. This is not true, they take non riders and turn out work riders fit to employ in12-14 weeks.

Several people have suggested that all race horses are flighty beasts worth a lot of money. This is not true either. Many of them, particularly the bigger ones, are a steady, sensible ride. And many of them are worth peanuts, they just happen to have owners who like to see a horse in training and follow it at race courses.

Awesome reply, thank you! I completely agree with all your points.

One thing I've learnt is that ground work as EKW suggested is extremely important. A serious rider at work said there are at least a couple of horses in the yard that look big and powerful but are the most stable runners and if they had to put me on them on the gallops I'd come back home safe. But that doesn't make me a rider. Knowing how to put on the tack, body language of your horse and ones around you and so many other things are more important.

Work_Rider

Visit site
Didn't they used to offer the chance to compete in charity races as I would have loved to be able to do it, however know you used to have to ride out for the trainer in "prep" for the race so wouldn't be able to fit it around my job and I'd imagine you'd have to have basic riding requirements? Now though I think it's more "elitist" to be able to compete as have seen horse and hound advertise but you have to be able to be in touch with a trainer who can provide a horse and raise a large amount of sponsorship.

You're very brave/ mad op I can't imagine working long hours in London in the week then paying to commute to try and work your way up on a yard.

You say people at the riding school aren't able to stay around after the lesson, if you're willing to travel to the race yard you're better off finding a better school, the one where I keep my horse actively shows the clients how to untack etc after the lessons, once you've done the basics you may be able to help out around the yard maybe even in exchange for rides. The yard or one nearby may offer hacks where you will get to canter when competent enough. Eventually once you are competent riding/ handling you may be able to find a share horse or loan one from the riding school where with the owners permission you could go on all sorts of interesting hacks, I gallop regularly on my horse when hacking.

I think that would be a less demoralizing route for you but I shall follow the thread with interest. Excellent advice from EKW etc.

I would also imagine insurance is a huge consideration for the racing yard, not saying you would but I won't let anyone on my horse due to so many stories about people suing if they come off, it's not worth the risk even though me and he both have insurance. He is definitely not a racehorse!! Imagine if the yard let you on a horse having never ridden, it took off and you had an accident, they are thinking of the safety of their horses and business. Whereas at the rs you could learn in a controlled environment at the very least til you get the basics then progress.

I think you can get gifts of a morning on the gallops " so that may be a good gift to ask for/ treat yourself to?

Also without being rude, how much do you weigh? Know racing yards have strict weight limits for their staff so something else to consider.

Thanks for responding!

I've got the horse bug and I did spend a few weeks looking after schools in the area. I didn't see value to be honest so just ended up not doing anything about my situation for months. Eventually I decided to do something about it instead of being miserable. That's how I ended up at the yard and I'm happy I did it. Yes, it is hectic and I end up paying a lot more than what I would for a private lesson but it's worth it.

Insurance is a concern no doubt and I am aware of stories where people came back to sue the yard etc.

I weigh just around 70, which I believe is higher than what most people expect on a flat yard but I believe in reality as a work rider there may be some relaxation especially if you're an unpaid volunteer.

I will update you on my progress and will certainly go to racing school for some proper training on the gallops!

Work_Rider

Visit site
I think its great you want to learn. However if you are only wanting to ride a race horse I fear you will be in for a very long wait. They need a certain type of rider, someone with confidence and experience as they are very sharp. They are bred and trained to a high standard and I don't think a yard would allow a complete beginner to sit on a Horse. The reason they probably didn't want you to muck out is because they will have to stick to a very strict time frame in order to complete all their work. A novice person would not be able to do it as quickly and will therefore cause a delay.

I know you said you wouldn't consider a riding school as you believe the Horses are not quality Horses, I think you perhaps went to the wrong place. At my old RS we had some super Horses, one Horse was in the film Black Beauty, Another was ridden by Pippa Funnel, another was an ex race Horse. Some were BSJA (showjumping) Horses. You would benefit more by a yard of this type.
Thanks for replying and your kind words.

It is more than just riding racehorses. It is understanding their psychology and all the ground work. It will be amazing to follow some of the horses and see how they grow.

I'm working on my confidence and it is going okay for sure. Regarding mucking out, I don't think it is because of time constraints because once they tell me how to do it, it won't be rocket science. There are other things I which I will cover in another post hopefully tomorrow morning.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks for replying and your kind words.

It is more than just riding racehorses. It is understanding their psychology and all the ground work. It will be amazing to follow some of the horses and see how they grow.

I'm working on my confidence and it is going okay for sure. Regarding mucking out, I don't think it is because of time constraints because once they tell me how to do it, it won't be rocket science. There are other things I which I will cover in another post hopefully tomorrow morning.

You certainly will take longer then the other workers for a good while. That is not me being mean or negative. When I went to an Equine college I was certainly slower then the rest of my classmates. This was because the majority of them had their own Horses. I had not much experience of mucking out before college and was shocked at the speed I had to go at. I had 3 Horses to fully do inc water and hay and I was always one of the last! When I volunteered as a child I was asked to muck out and I thought that meant remove all bedding. I did 4 boxes before someone realised what I was doing.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
It's a very specific aim, but there are several approaches to achieving it. Don't dismiss conventional riding lessons just because your first one wasn't very exciting. All experience in the saddle is relevant; for a start you are using muscles that don't usually get much of a workout. You could ring round riding stables and explain that you're a client with a very focussed ambition; many instructors might find that an interesting challenge. A few weeks of regular lessons will make it far more likely that you'd be given a chance to ride at your yard.