Diary of an aspiring work rider

Auslander

Visit site
I am beginning to wonder if this is genuine. If it is, you are quite rudely dismissing everyone who is suggesting that you may get closer to your goal if you invest some time in learning the basics, and making it very clear that you are not remotely interested in the opinions of a forum full of people who can actually ride/look after horses, so have valuable advice for you. Quite apart from what people on here have told you, you have been told by the trainer, the head lad, and a senior rider at the yard you are hindering helping at that your goals are not achievable, yet persist in thinking that you will do what you set out to do, just because you want to.

I appreciate your passion for racehorses, and I can see why you aren't interested in other horses - but if you want to establish yourself as a useful member of a professional yard, you need to put the grunt work in first in a place where they are set up for training novices. If you had time to commit to joining a racing school, and learning the trade there, then it would be a different story - many raw novices do it that way. You don't though, so to do what you set out to do, you need to take on board that you are highly unlikely to get the horse management and riding skills you need by spending a few days a week at a professional racing yard, where they do not have the time, the inclination, or any incentive to train you from scratch. You'll shovel a lot of shit, and scrub a lot of water buckets, but as for the interesting stuff - I doubt it.

I have worked in racing btw - so I do know how racing yards operate. They don't have the time to nanny people - they want staff who work fast, work hard, and don't need to be constantly monitored/trained. I would also question the wisdom of suggesting better ways to do things to the management of a racing yard! Whether there is a better way or not, it's not going to endear you to them - racing folk have been doing things their way for a very long time, and don't generally take kindly to being told they should be doing things differently by someone who is completely clueless about the industry.

HeyMich

Visit site
OP, if you want to listen to the advice and experience of others (and possibly even take that advice when given), then you've come to the right place. HHO is full to the brim of people who will gladly help you through your adventure.

However, if you only want to write and share your experiences with other novice riders and not take on anything that is suggested, then perhaps start a blog.

only_me

Visit site
OP, if you want to listen to the advice and experience of others (and possibly even take that advice when given), then you've come to the right place. HHO is full to the brim of people who will gladly help you through your adventure.

However, if you only want to write and share your experiences with other novice riders and not take on anything that is suggested, then perhaps start a blog.

Agreed, and unfortunately the blog “entries” aren’t the best written so would also advise OP to have a look at some tips on writing a blog online. I’m also not so interested anymore as I don’t want to hear about his musings on “country style” when he could have just asked and found out that they were riding clothes Ie. Full jods/breeches.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Agreed, and unfortunately the blog “entries” aren’t the best written so would also advise OP to have a look at some tips on writing a blog online. I’m also not so interested anymore as I don’t want to hear about his musings on “country style” when he could have just asked and found out that they were riding clothes Ie. Full jods/breeches.

Agree, also as a seasoned equestrian it's weird reading OP's explanations of things that are second nature to most of us on here and therefore don't actually need explanation such as mucking out (types of bedding etc.), tacking up or tying up a horse. It makes me wonder why they're posting on here at all, especially as they seem hellbent on ignoring all the great advice and experience others are offering them, including the staff they're meant to be wanting to learn from!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I would like to read advice as to how to write the best blog.........can some of you advisers post a few tips for the rest of us ?

1. Write the goodest english you can manege.
2. Select your audience and target your content / style to them
3. Find a niche / novel angle
4. Post it on a suitable site - better off somewhere you control the responses!

There are loads of articles and blog posts out there about writing good blogs - though many successful blogs don't obey all the rules anyway.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I haven't read the latest diary entry yet, but the posts on the first page had some turns of phrase that made me think that English is not the OP's first language....

paddy555

Visit site
I'm sure OP must be a troll. How does he know he would even like cantering? In his position surely you would take some holiday and book some lunge lessons and lessons on a simulator (not a racing one) and you could canter to your heart's content. That way you would find out if you liked it and you would at least be riding. If you did it every day for a week you would have improved a lot by the end. You would also probably be very stiff!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
WR. I don't care if you are a troll or what, but I have to tell you that your latest installment for people who are already mucking out their own horses every day is b o r I n g and I am not hanging waiting for your next installment.

I fear you are overestimating the level of interest of forum users in your 'journey'. Sorry.

J_sarahd

Visit site
OP - genuine question, who are you writing these for? The way they’re written makes me think you’re writing them for someone who has no knowledge of horses, but you’re posting them on a forum full of horse owners/riders who know about the different types of bedding etc. Perhaps you need to rethink your target audience, take the advice of those with more knowledge than you and really think about what you’re doing.

CMcC

Visit site
I have concluded this is fantasy. OP says he is only interested in facts not opinion.
FACT - it would not be possible to get a train out of London to Newmarket (I assume this is the racing town 1 hour from London) on a Saturday morning arriving for 6am. First train would not get in till about
7am. If writing fiction, still have to check the facts.
I rest my case m’lud.

D66

Visit site
There is a book called The Manual of Horsemanship produced by the Pony Club. I guess a lot of hhoers will have read it, I knew most of it by heart before I was 15.
Lots of useful info that you can take on board at home in the evening in the comfort of your own home, and will save the tempers of peeps at the racing yard.
Have you thought about the implications of having a riding accident might have on your day job? The way you are approaching your goal suggests to me it would be prudent to get insurance for loss of earnings.