Diary of an aspiring work rider

blitznbobs

Visit site
Being outside in this weather is a test of anyone's commitment... brrrrrr.
That boring office job might look a bit more tempting today!

Yes I’d planned to do some fattening hill hacking with my new big fella ... but it’s blowing a gale and the rain is coming down sideways - I’m not a fair weather rider but there is bad weather and bad weather so mine have been out, lunged and are now tucked up with a hay net ... call me a slacker if
You will but it’s definitely a day for curling up by the fire 🔥

GinaGeo

Visit site
Well this is bizarre. OP we have spoken on the phone, I advised you then to have lessons at a normal riding school. I am ecstatic to see that you have followed through with your promise to get experience.

I would like to say that your dream is not unachievable, we turn kids around regularly, that have never been near a horse before. Some of them are now very talented Jockeys. However, they are with us on a course where they live, sleep and breathe it. They are with the horses all day everyday for 12 weeks, they ride several lots each day, they spend hours on simulators working on their fitness, we have excellent horses and a team that do this everyday. It is tough and they don’t all leave ready to go up the gallops in the real world.

You have a full time job, you cannot commit to the lifestyle like these kids can, and that’s not a weakness - that’s life. However, it does mean that your timescale will be different. With the time you can commit, it will be years and not months. If you can accept this, you will do yourself the biggest favour - you will very quickly become disolussioned otherwise.

The other angle is that the kids that have never ridden, don’t start on fit thoroughbreds. They start on the really quiet ones, or frequently the cobs. You wouldn’t learn to drive in a Ferrari, you learn in Fiesta, else you’d kill yourself or the car. You will find yourself walking to start with whilst you learn the basics. This is normal. If you didn’t like the first riding school, use the wealth of experience on here, ask for a good one in your area. Good riding school horses are worth their weight in gold.

We want to help you, we really do, but we can’t until you learn enough first. At your stage, one week with us would be pointless, once you are a sufficiently good rider on a normal horse we can think about teaching you to ride a Racehorse. I look forward to hearing from you again, and I hope next time we speak I can say yes. But I won’t be able to say yes, unless you start listening to the people who are giving you advice.

HHO I can put your minds at ease - you are not being trolled.

OP Good Luck!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Well this is bizarre. OP we have spoken on the phone, I advised you then to have lessons at a normal riding school. I am ecstatic to see that you have followed through with your promise to get experience.

I would like to say that your dream is not unachievable, we turn kids around regularly, that have never been near a horse before. Some of them are now very talented Jockeys. However, they are with us on a course where they live, sleep and breathe it. They are with the horses all day everyday for 12 weeks, they ride several lots each day, they spend hours on simulators working on their fitness, we have excellent horses and a team that do this everyday. It is tough and they don’t all leave ready to go up the gallops in the real world.

You have a full time job, you cannot commit to the lifestyle like these kids can, and that’s not a weakness - that’s life. However, it does mean that your timescale will be different. With the time you can commit, it will be years and not months. If you can accept this, you will do yourself the biggest favour - you will very quickly become disolussioned otherwise.

The other angle is that the kids that have never ridden, don’t start on fit thoroughbreds. They start on the really quiet ones, or frequently the cobs. You wouldn’t learn to drive in a Ferrari, you learn in Fiesta, else you’d kill yourself or the car. You will find yourself walking to start with whilst you learn the basics. This is normal. If you didn’t like the first riding school, use the wealth of experience on here, ask for a good one in your area. Good riding school horses are worth their weight in gold.

We want to help you, we really do, but we can’t until you learn enough first. At your stage, one week with us would be pointless, once you are a sufficiently good rider on a normal horse we can think about teaching you to ride a Racehorse. I look forward to hearing from you again, and I hope next time we speak I can say yes. But I won’t be able to say yes, unless you start listening to the people who are giving you advice.

HHO I can put your minds at ease - you are not being trolled.

OP Good Luck!

I love this post.

Work_Rider

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the advice, I have definitely taken on board. I was already trotting when I made my first diary post, the aim was to share my experiences however I understand this did not go down particularly well for various reasons.

For those waiting for an update, I am pleased to inform that I am doing well in my progress and manage to canter in a group with other riders and on my own (yay).

I will enquire to get this thread closed permanently because work and yard commitments take up a lot of time. Thank you to all those that have encouraged and offered help.