Diary of an aspiring work rider

Visit site
OP take it from me - after the day I have had - RUN!!!! RUN as fast and as far away as you can from horses!

And to make matter worse ... I have no chocolate to placate me...

Work_Rider

Visit site
OP take it from me - after the day I have had - RUN!!!! RUN as fast and as far away as you can from horses!

And to make matter worse ... I have no chocolate to placate me...

Oh what happened? I've seen a guy (experienced rider) who was fine one Saturday and the next weekend he was gone - admitted in a hospital and won't be riding for at least 6 to 9 months.

Visit site
Oh what happened? I've seen a guy (experienced rider) who was fine one Saturday and the next weekend he was gone - admitted in a hospital and won't be riding for at least 6 to 9 months.

Nothing as bad as that! Thankfully! Just a crap day that started bad and just got progressively worse 😂😂😂

Theocat

Visit site
OP, how have you decided this is your dream if your total riding experience is one riding lesson that you didn't enjoy? Genuine question. It just seems strange to get so fixated on something that you haven't really had a chance to try!

Work_Rider

Visit site
OP, how have you decided this is your dream if your total riding experience is one riding lesson that you didn't enjoy? Genuine question. It just seems strange to get so fixated on something that you haven't really had a chance to try!

Good question - it was a combination of things and just overall timing really.

I've casually considered a few activities in the past. Took up gym and enjoyed it for a couple of years but was difficult because we were building a department at work; often ended up working weekends. I was gaining weight as I was chained to a desk for hours, often without any breaks. Overall there was a lot of mental stress but I was exhausted physically and even if I had to take mandatory couple of weeks off, it often involved travelling abroad which didn't help. I knew something was missing. I guess over a period of time my subconscious mind ended up imagining a phase where life was a bit less complicated - my childhood. I used to be active in sports and enjoyed competitive activities a lot.

I considered tennis and some other sports but my circle of friends was limited to guys at work. Not that I didn't like them, but I knew that any activity we ended up doing together outside of work would be a bit casual. I needed something stricter, more pressure and an environment where I'd have the opportunity to add value towards something big (winning, preparing for a mission etc) whilst remaining physically active. I guess working with racehorses ticked all boxes. But I never sat down with a pen and a paper to list out pros and cons. It just happened. Exploring options over months I finally settled at something. After that it was just a question of executing it.

Quite frankly I was prepared to discuss with racing yards ways to replicate some of the techniques we use at work to minimise losses. Even had a program in mind which I believe could reduce errors, streamline things etc at a yard and over a period make a real difference. But a strict no from my gf because she wanted me to use this as an opportunity to relax, learn a new skill - riding, make friends and not be obsessed about stuff that involves anything remotely related to work!

only_me

Visit site
Good question - it was a combination of things and just overall timing really.

I've casually considered a few activities in the past. Took up gym and enjoyed it for a couple of years but was difficult because we were building a department at work; often ended up working weekends. I was gaining weight as I was chained to a desk for hours, often without any breaks. Overall there was a lot of mental stress but I was exhausted physically and even if I had to take mandatory couple of weeks off, it often involved travelling abroad which didn't help. I knew something was missing. I guess over a period of time my subconscious mind ended up imagining a phase where life was a bit less complicated - my childhood. I used to be active in sports and enjoyed competitive activities a lot.

I considered tennis and some other sports but my circle of friends was limited to guys at work. Not that I didn't like them, but I knew that any activity we ended up doing together outside of work would be a bit casual. I needed something stricter, more pressure and an environment where I'd have the opportunity to add value towards something big (winning, preparing for a mission etc) whilst remaining physically active. I guess working with racehorses ticked all boxes. But I never sat down with a pen and a paper to list out pros and cons. It just happened. Exploring options over months I finally settled at something. After that it was just a question of executing it.

Quite frankly I was prepared to discuss with racing yards ways to replicate some of the techniques we use at work to minimise losses. Even had a program in mind which I believe could reduce errors, streamline things etc at a yard and over a period make a real difference. But a strict no from my gf because she wanted me to use this as an opportunity to relax, learn a new skill - riding, make friends and not be obsessed about stuff that involves anything remotely related to work!

When you buy a horse your losses start lol

You could have picked literally any sport and it would have been easier to get into and make friends and become good/competitive much quicker and cheaper.
The TA sounds exactly what you are after imo.

Riding race horses is fair enough if you’ve actually ridden in past or have at least been near a horse or know basic horse care. It’s a lot imo to expect a race yard to teach you the basics without reward for them. Good luck and I hope you achieve it if it is truely what you want to do and not just a fantasy.

rifruffian

Visit site
Well done so far work rider. I think that you do have a good chance of fulfilling this ambition.

I am a rider myself, at quite an old age.......and my personal opinion is that personal physical fitness is the most important pre-requisite to
your chances of surviving this caper. ( No harm in tapping away now to wish you good luck, we all need it......... )

Work_Rider

Visit site
When you buy a horse your losses start lol

You could have picked literally any sport and it would have been easier to get into and make friends and become good/competitive much quicker and cheaper.
The TA sounds exactly what you are after imo.

Riding race horses is fair enough if you’ve actually ridden in past or have at least been near a horse or know basic horse care. It’s a lot imo to expect a race yard to teach you the basics without reward for them. Good luck and I hope you achieve it if it is truely what you want to do and not just a fantasy.
Quicker, easier or cheaper wasn't a concern. Also, horses vs other sports involving more humans? Easy choice for me. Horses may hurt you unintentionally. Pure accident. You can't say the same for humans :)

With regards to teaching me the basics, I agree I will be a sucker of resources but I believe have already made a good impression and consider myself as an asset because I do help out.

Work_Rider

Visit site
Well done so far work rider. I think that you do have a good chance of fulfilling this ambition.

I am a rider myself, at quite an old age.......and my personal opinion is that personal physical fitness is the most important pre-requisite to
your chances of surviving this caper. ( No harm in tapping away now to wish you good luck, we all need it......... )
Thank you!

Will definitely work on physical fitness - strength, stamina and lower weight than existing.

only_me

Visit site
Quicker, easier or cheaper wasn't a concern. Also, horses vs other sports involving more humans? Easy choice for me. Horses may hurt you unintentionally. Pure accident. You can't say the same for humans :)

With regards to teaching me the basics, I agree I will be a sucker of resources but I believe have already made a good impression and consider myself as an asset because I do help out.

Dunno, I’ve had more injuries from horses than I have ever had from playing human sports - and I played a lot of sports! Horse related injuries tend to be a bit more severe than the average sport injury, intentional or not!

It’s great that you consider yourself an asset, but are you actually? Do they see you as an asset?
Can you muck out properly now? Can you clean tack? Can you tack up? Wash a horse down?
If not, are you being shown how to do these things?

If you aren’t learning these then you are wasting your time as they are easy basic skills that don’t generally require much horse knowledge. You might be better to find a riding school and paying for a day learning these skills on the ground so you’ll be able to be better help at the race yard.

Again I hope you achieve your aim, just hope you realise the very long hard slog you’ve started on, give yourself every chance and learn non-riding skills to become more useful and hopefully make it onto a horse sooner! 😊

Work_Rider

Visit site
Dunno, I’ve had more injuries from horses than I have ever had from playing human sports - and I played a lot of sports! Horse related injuries tend to be a bit more severe than the average sport injury, intentional or not!

It’s great that you consider yourself an asset, but are you actually? Do they see you as an asset?
Can you muck out properly now? Can you clean tack? Can you tack up? Wash a horse down?
If not, are you being shown how to do these things?

If you aren’t learning these then you are wasting your time as they are easy basic skills that don’t generally require much horse knowledge. You might be better to find a riding school and paying for a day learning these skills on the ground so you’ll be able to be better help at the race yard.

Again I hope you achieve your aim, just hope you realise the very long hard slog you’ve started on, give yourself every chance and learn non-riding skills to become more useful and hopefully make it onto a horse sooner! 😊
Thanks!

I did call myself an asset but at the same time a sucker of resources as well! HL and a senior rider try to teach me stuff but both are always extremely busy so I watch and try to learn. Hopefully my next post will cover most of your points. Thanks again!

Mule

Visit site
A challenge is always good. I think we can stagnate without them. Determination counts for a lot too. This may turn out to be very interesting 👍

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
OP, not sure if you've clarified if your aim is to leave your current (presumably well paid) City job and become a full-time work rider? If you're just doing it for a kick at weekends, professionals are less likely to invest time/take the risk training you.

Work_Rider

Visit site
OP, not sure if you've clarified if your aim is to leave your current (presumably well paid) City job and become a full-time work rider? If you're just doing it for a kick at weekends, professionals are less likely to invest time/take the risk training you.
Can't afford to quit existing job and move into racing full-time. Not doing it for just a kick. Riding racehorses is a very difficult thing to achieve and if I can slowly but surely learn then it will make me happy. If I do a good job and end up helping the trainer, that's the kick I'd want and I understand it will take a long time but that's fine :)

At the yard people do not train me. I don't expect them to because it's not a school. But I observe and try to learn. When they're free I ask questions. It helps a lot. For instance, I learnt it is better to stand on the left of a horse, never approach directly from behind as they horse may be surprised and end up kicking etc. I watch a lot of YouTube and some good videos out there that talk about basics.

Work_Rider

Visit site
Day 2 clubbed with a few following weekends at the yard – Part 1.

Early start:
My mobile phone alarm goes off at 2:40am. I’ve set another 15 alarms up to 3:00am so that I don’t end up slumbering on Saturday after what has been a hectic week at work. If I miss any of the connections I can easily end by delaying my journey by 30 minutes so can’t afford to not wake up.

Quick shower and change of clothes. My bag is already packed and ready. I leave my house, quick walk to a bus stop to catch a night bus to central London. Journey to central is approximately 40 minutes. It is pitch dark outside and the cold is unsympathetic but at least it is not raining. Don’t remember last time I was out at his hour, probably when I was in school. Once in central London I jump on the tube for another location in London to catch the national rail. Train journey is approximately 1 hour. I reach the town by 6am and brisk walk to exit the station as there is a taxi waiting for me.

Everything feels different. I feel like I am not dressed for the occasion because I’m wearing jeans, and a hoodie. Some of the staff at the yard wear these other types of pants with some patch on the bum. Must be some country style I thought. I’m also wearing boots, was asked to bring wellies. But what are decent wellies, they range from £10 to £500. Which ones are fit for a racing yard? So much easier when picking office shoes – standard black oxfords. Will I even blend in at work? I need to ask some of my colleagues for advice.

Quick ten minutes taxi ride and finally I’m at the yard. This kind of sucks. Why? Because by the time I walk in for 6:15ish most riders are already on their horses. I missed out on what happens before they get on, how they tack up and so on. But the trainer is surprised to see me so early. Wish I had a car.

At the yard:
On my second day at the yard I notice a few things. Yards open very early in the morning irrespective of the weather. They follow a strict routine and there isn’t much room to slack. Most of the people look young, I guess average age of riders must be 22ish? A few other staff are much older than me which is a relief. Most of the job is done on foot or on horses. No comfy chairs, a welcome change for me. There are a few key people or teams on a permanent and daily basis crucial for a yard to function smoothly. They are ground staff, work riders, trainer and racing secretary.

Work riders:
These guys are accountable for a set of horses to exercise on a regular basis. I’ve observed they are usually small (riders, not horses) in size but don’t necessarily suffer and sacrifice a lot like jockeys when it comes to sustaining lower weight requirements. Riders often confer which horse they’re riding but it’s a quick exchange of comments.

Rider 1: which one (horse) you on?
Rider 2: I’m on Milli, you?
Rider 1: I’m on Kara. Good luck hahahah
Rider 2: *puts a blank face and doesn’t reciprocate to good wishes from Rider 1*

Hmm, I wonder why. Later I find out that horse Milli is a bit “fresh”. Milli has been resting for a while so the rider is a bit worried. That makes me fear a little as well. By now I’ve figured out that riders tend to come back in half an hour or so. I try keep an eye out towards the entrance and I’m glad to see Rider 2 is back in one piece.
Every so often riders aren’t too relaxed with a horse – this could be because of a bad previous experience with that horse, may be the horse was in a box for a couple of weeks due to injury so he’s going to be a bit difficult among others. Riders may also prefer mature horses that are steady. In my perception, generally, colts (male horses younger than 4 years of age) are least preferred because they can be a bit tricky to handle – tend to kick, buck or just bolt. Think of them as kids so it all makes sense. They can be a bit irrational. However, this is not always the case. Some of the colts can be calm and there are riders who prefer younger horses. I also noticed a teenager who will get on any horse and be okay with it! No fear. Each rider seems to have their favourite rides.

Once work riders are in the yard they will look at a board which tells them name of the horse they’d be riding that morning. They hurriedly go to respective horses and start preparing which involves brushing their horse, cleaning hoof among other things. Riders tack up their horse – conditional on the horse they will either tie the horse to a wall if they are a bit tricky to deal with or simply let them loose in the stable and still manage to put on the saddle etc. If the horse is tied, it’s usually a weak knot which can be broken easily by the horse if he decides to pull. Logic is that if a horse decides to pull his head from the wall you can’t really stop him but if he is tied really tight it will only make things worse leading to a wound.

Often riders manage to do all above independently. Occasionally, they need assistance from their colleagues if a horse is not responding or they need a second opinion on a potential injury etc.

Ground staff:
The moment work riders leave the stable with their horse, ground staff will enter the stable to clean it up. Most people call this process as mucking out. Horses are larger creatures vs humans and proportionately their poo poo is much bigger as well. Often it is all over the place but I’ve noticed a pattern I still need to fully understand. Some horses do their business in a spot in the corner. Babies do it all over the place and even roll in their own waste. Just like a human being a horse can be ill. I noticed a staff member inspecting manure for any worms. Most horses have a bed (made out of shavings but it can also be straw and some other material which looks like sand) all over the stable. New shavings or equivalents are added as required. Each stable has a water bucket which is refilled and cleaned frequently. Older horses tend to be stable and even if you leave the bucket inside they won’t turn it upside down but with younger horses buckets are fixed so that it doesn’t spill. This job is laborious but a good exercise without having to go to the gym.

Trainer is the boss. He calls the shots. But he also answers to the owners who pay him a fee to train their horses. Some of the trainers have their own horses in the yard as well. Racing secretary is in charge of booking racings etc among other things but not something I’ve looked into. Our trainer, let’s call him Mr. T. A client walks in and trainer introduces me to him. Quick chat about what work we do and I move on to some more work, which at this stage involves emptying, cleaning and refilling buckets of water, bringing in hay and shavings to stables that are stored at the back.
Work riders do 4-5 lots (horses) every morning, six days a week. They get a short break for tea after which they usually do 1 or 2 more lots depending on the day. Once all the riding is done it is time to clean the ground! Sweeping can take some good energy, effort and time but similar to mucking out I’ve done this just 3-4 times so far. I usually end up assisting with feeding the horses.

Tea Break: After spending hours without sitting, something I’m not used to at all, it felt good to be seated. I also felt like after doing some physical work I ‘deserved’ some food! Other days it is just me buying breakfast and coffee outside, eating at my desk. Why? Because it’s breakfast. But today it just felt good to do some real hard work and then eat. I team up with the HL and a senior rider. By now HL has given up on my ambition of learning to ride so he was extremely happy to have a senior rider nearby so he simply directed me towards him.

Me: So how long did it take you to learn how to ride?
Senior Rider: Can’t even remember but have been riding since I was a kid.
Me: Soooooo when you say a kid, you mean like 25ish? Hahaha
Senior Rider: Nooo more like 5ish. They’re saying you want to ride racehorses?
Me: Yes indeed, but I want to help out as well as much as I can.
Senior Rider: Look, why are you doing this to yourself? Like, really, what is wrong with you?
Me: What’s wrong with you for doing riding at this age?
Senior Rider: It’s something I’ve been doing it for years!
Me: So I can do it for the next few years and then even I can say I’ve been doing it for years.
Senior Rider: You don’t understand, it’s not easy. It takes a lot of time and if you’re gonna visit one day a week it’s definitely not happening. Look, you’ve come here for experience, soak in the atmosphere and be happy with your city job.
Me: I don’t expect it to be easy. I’m in no hurry but not waiting ‘years’ either.
FYI: this senior rider and I happen to be from the same county to we were speaking quite frankly. He was being brutally honest and I was just being adamant.
All this time, HL who’s sitting with us is enjoying his breakfast with a grin on his face. Well, at least someone is having a good time while I’m miserable.
Staff gather and move on to their next lot.

To be continued in Day 2 clubbed with a few following weekends at the yard – Part 2

Tarragon

Visit site
It does seem a bit surreal to be reading this blog alongside the "A Day in the Life of a Work Rider", the contrast of the two view points is so interesting! I am enjoying both

J_sarahd

Visit site
OP - what part of London are you from? I used to work at a really good riding school that can give you the basic riding knowledge that so many people are telling you would be beneficial. They do hacks and lessons and all sorts. It’s worth looking in to, because then you’d have a leg up (no pun intended) in your ambition to ride a race horse because you’ll have basic riding knowledge.

Work_Rider

Visit site
OP - what part of London are you from? I used to work at a really good riding school that can give you the basic riding knowledge that so many people are telling you would be beneficial. They do hacks and lessons and all sorts. It’s worth looking in to, because then you’d have a leg up (no pun intended) in your ambition to ride a race horse because you’ll have basic riding knowledge.
West.

Appreciate a number of people are suggesting riding schools. But I've made a commitment to the yard that I will be consistent in attending. Given my work schedule can't imagine fitting in any additional classes. December is also a busy period for them as regular full-time staff want to take days off so might as well go help them during holiday period (i.e. not just on Saturdays but a few more days if they're open)

J_sarahd

Visit site
West.

Appreciate a number of people are suggesting riding schools. But I've made a commitment to the yard that I will be consistent in attending. Given my work schedule can't imagine fitting in any additional classes. December is also a busy period for them as regular full-time staff want to take days off so might as well go help them during holiday period (i.e. not just on Saturdays but a few more days if they're open)

I think you’ll be more of an asset and reach your goals quicker if you get some basic lessons in riding and stable management. It seems like youre a bit of a dead weight to be perfectly honest.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has mentioned simulators ;).

I had a go on the newmarket museum one last week, at top speed frankly that was quite effort enough!

Though yeah, I imagine you would be the last thing they could do with hanging around if they are short on staff.

Visit site
I'm surprised no one has mentioned simulators ;).

I had a go on the newmarket museum one last week, at top speed frankly that was quite effort enough!

Though yeah, I imagine you would be the last thing they could do with hanging around if they are short on staff.

God those simulators! They are THEE most unrealistic horses I have ever sat on! They hurt my knees 😂😂😂 and the horses necks are always long and pokey nosed, mouths are quite wooden and they are numb, ignorant beasts! You'd be better pulling against a brick wall 😂😂😂 I much prefer my nice, collected, rounded horses that whilst they pull you still have feeling in the mouth!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm used to a welshie, pretty much all necks are long ;) :D

Control was deferred to the woman pressing the buttons ;) but you know, it would demonstrate if the OP had the strength to stand up for any period of time :p, on something with an even stride and always staying in a straight line ;).

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
"FYI: this senior rider and I happen to be from the same county to we were speaking quite frankly. He was being brutally honest and I was just being adamant."

Did you really mean "county" or did you mean "country"? May I ask how old you are?