Dressage Discussion- FEI removes the principles of dressage (rule 401) and moves to guidelines only, implications for future of dressage.

tristar

Visit site
Define the difference....I don't think anyone at the time thought one was okay and one not.

LDR is sometimes offered by a horse who wants to take the contact down in trot, say, possibly to stretch its back in opposition to working in a higher frame as a rest period, i have a horse who sometimes does this, rarely though so i let him, but he soon comes back up. [of his own accord]

hyperflexion in the true or extreme sense, the horse is held down by the rider, the chin nearly touching the chest.

and all the varying degrees of deep head carriage, some more behind the vertical than others

it seems the worst way when the horse is put down there and forced to stay there, the weight of the rider on its back, the heavy hand holding it there

some horses can go deep while still having their back up

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Forgive me, it was a rhetorical question. I don't think deliberate (no-one's talking about the odd moment) ldr can be done with the back engaged in a healthy way, the core may be on but that's not the same thing. Just as "but he's not lame" doesn't mean he isn't in an unhealthy movement pattern and is likely to be lame sooner or later because of it. LDR may not be hyperflexion bit it's a technicality and mostly impossible to draw a line between them.

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
Plenty of people have repeatedly said "oy!" over many years, but it never seems to make a difference. Perhaps it's not the right people saying it.

Yeah, they sure have. I started doing dressage and paying attention to it in the late '90s, and people were b1tching about LDR and rollkur back then. Cortez will probably point out it's gone on for longer. It doesn't seem like much has changed. We've certainly not gotten away from people riding like that.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
some horses can go deep while still having their back up

I think this is true but I don't think they can operate their shoulder sling as effectively at the same time. Biomechanocally it looks to me as if they need their head out to keep the shoulders open. Like SB, I don't think we've paid enough attention in the past to the fact that the front legs are only held on by soft tissue.

tristar

Visit site
sunday we were watching an advanced medium class warm up, every horse was deep and round and B T V, they were not L D R, or rollkur.

tristar

Visit site
Yeah, they sure have. I started doing dressage and paying attention to it in the late '90s, and people were b1tching about LDR and rollkur back then. Cortez will probably point out it's gone on for longer. It doesn't seem like much has changed. We've certainly not gotten away from people riding like that.

showjumpers have been doing it forever, in various degrees, none of it is anything recent

tristar

Visit site
Plenty of people have repeatedly said "oy!" over many years, but it never seems to make a difference. Perhaps it's not the right people saying it.

perhaps it not the right people making the rules.!

many leading members of the classical training community have said oiy, the fei is ignoring them at their peril

get some different eyes, morals, on the FEI dressage committee.

makes you wonder who is voting them into their appointments

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Disgusting, do we know who the rider on the black horse is? I couldn’t watch much of that… I like dressage but am getting very disillusioned nowadays , it’s so much force !!! I love the way Gareth Hughes rides his lovely mare , Briolinca sorry I’m sure I’ve spelt that wrong, and hate the way so many of the so called top riders pull their horses around ..

shortstuff99

Visit site
Disgusting, do we know who the rider on the black horse is? I couldn’t watch much of that… I like dressage but am getting very disillusioned nowadays , it’s so much force !!! I love the way Gareth Hughes rides his lovely mare , Briolinca sorry I’m sure I’ve spelt that wrong, and hate the way so many of the so called top riders pull their horses around ..
Alleged to be Marc Peter Spahn. I don't know how they do it, so much force, do they not feel bad for the horse or do they truly think it is training and the horse doesn't mind?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The warm up at not Olympia was not great to watch from him either.
Whereas Gareth looked like he was warming up for a hunter class.

j1ffy

Visit site
The various videos from the Gothenburg warm-up are very ugly - where is the fun in riding a horse that you need to pull around like that?! If they're heavy on the hand due to poor training, that's the rider's fault. If they're heavy in the hand due to stiffness, it's still the rider's fault. Absolutely no excuse other than a lack of focus on basics and / or poor management.

Even at the lower levels that I ride at, I'd hate it if any of my horses needed riding so roughly or needed to have their nose on their chest to be 'controllable'. I'd be thoroughly embarrassed to be such a poor trainer, and thoroughly ashamed that my horse was that miserable.

shortstuff99

Visit site
The various videos from the Gothenburg warm-up are very ugly - where is the fun in riding a horse that you need to pull around like that?! If they're heavy on the hand due to poor training, that's the rider's fault. If they're heavy in the hand due to stiffness, it's still the rider's fault. Absolutely no excuse other than a lack of focus on basics and / or poor management.

Even at the lower levels that I ride at, I'd hate it if any of my horses needed riding so roughly or needed to have their nose on their chest to be 'controllable'. I'd be thoroughly embarrassed to be such a poor trainer, and thoroughly ashamed that my horse was that miserable.
I just can't understand it, they must know that this is not what dressage is about surely? If this is what it takes to win then I guess I won't be winning!

j1ffy

Visit site
I just can't understand it, they must know that this is not what dressage is about surely? If this is what it takes to win then I guess I won't be winning!

Thankfully I'll never ride at that level, what a relief!! The pressure to win (particularly for those riding for the large breeding companies) must be huge.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The trouble is that they are being marked high, wrongly IMO, but it seems that flashy front leg action is the way to go and it doesn’t matter if the chin is on the chest… I am very sad that high level dressage has come to this and really hope the judges soon come to their senses..

ester

Visit site
The trouble is that in the ring, at least to me 😅, that horse didn’t have a significantly different way of going to those that weren’t RLk’d in the warm up. It comes back down to stewarding as the fact that the warm ups can now been seen easily by lots of people doesn’t seem to have made much difference as some riders still think it’s ok

nikicb

www.facebook.com
The trouble is that in the ring, at least to me 😅, that horse didn’t have a significantly different way of going to those that weren’t RLk’d in the warm up. It comes back down to stewarding as the fact that the warm ups can now been seen easily by lots of people doesn’t seem to have made much difference as some riders still think it’s ok

However Gareth and Briolinca came second, only beaten by Lottie, which is great for a horse that is non flashy, even though very correct and sympathetically ridden. (You know how much I love that combination though as you were sitting next to me!! 😂 )

ester

Visit site
Yes that was more a you don’t have to be rollkuring your warm up to get a decent result comment.
Maybe it needs to be something that directly and immediately affects results, 10% test penalty if you’re seen doing it :p

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
However Gareth and Briolinca came second, only beaten by Lottie, which is great for a horse that is non flashy, even though very correct and sympathetically ridden. (You know how much I love that combination though as you were sitting next to me!! 😂 )
Knew I wasn’t spelling that right , I think she is lovely and to me, how dressage should be . Edward Gal always rides his with their heads pulled in but gets ridiculously high marks because they are so flashy , but where is the harmony ?

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Knew I wasn’t spelling that right , I think she is lovely and to me, how dressage should be . Edward Gal always rides his with their heads pulled in but gets ridiculously high marks because they are so flashy , but where is the harmony ?

I have loved her since he rode her in one of the demos at a BD convention a few years back, but then as all my friends know, I think bay mares are the best! ;) I also just love watching both Gareth and Carl ride - lovely forward giving hands, and everything is just so soft.