Disgusted at behaviour of the hunt

rockysmum

Visit site
I cant believe the attitude of some people on this thread.

The OP came on here for a bit of a rant, and who can blame him/her.

They haven't named and shamed the hunt, they haven't caused a big fuss.

If I was a hunting person (I'm not for or against, just not interested), I would be apologising for the behaviour of this hunt, and assuring people that this kind of behaviour was not the norm. From the tone of some of these post, I'm thinking that it is. As someone has said before, no wonder hunting has a bad name.

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
I used to be a regular contributer here, mostly in New Lounge, but it ended up eating away half of my life. I couldn't remember my log in details so reregistered. I don't really want to get sucked back into the forum but was so furious earlier today I couldn't think where else to vent!

I don't really want to say where we are as despite everything that happened today I don't want to get anyone in trouble and this is a public forum. I've emailed the hunt involved and will hopefully get a response tomorrow.

I can't make anyone believe me if they don't want to and I realise I must sound a bit trollish but honestly I'm not. Of course thats what a troll would say but I cannot do better than tell you I am reporting accurately what happened today.

Perhaps you should see this from the point of view of other posters. Without some hard evidence, where, how, when, by whom etc, it is very difficult to evaluate matters.

You would get great sympathy from all concerned, if your complaint and I shall call it a complaint about a hunt, can be reasonably verified, would you not agree?

I have not said you are wrong to post or that I disagree with what you have said I have simply asked you to verify/justify your allegations.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
For a hunt to gallop through someones field WITH HORSES IN IT, isnt a pro/anti hunt issue its an ignorance and disrespect issue.

NO HUNT should be going through fields with loose horses in it what a disaster had the horses jumped out anf floowed the hunt and hurt themselves, would they even care or would it be the owners fault even in this situation.

OP I would be writing letter and calling the huntmaster threatening to take it to the press if restitution wasnt made. How disgraceful :mad:

ETA

In response to the above thread WHY does it have to be verified?? Is every rant on this board requiring verification now?? Or do people just not want to believe that some hunts ride roughshod over land?? And before anyone has a go Im pro hunting have been trying to take my mare for two years now and she keeps hurting herself denying me the pleasure :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

cptrayes

Visit site
At this precise moment without knowing to whom you are referring, I consider your originating and subsequent posts to be an attempt to damage the image of hunting generally.

And that is precisely the kind of attitude that got hunting banned as an arrogant upper class prat's sport in the first place!

The image of fox hunting does not need other people to damage it, it does extremely well for itself and you lead the way Judgemental.

Judgemental

Visit site
ETA

In response to the above thread WHY does it have to be verified?? Is every rant on this board requiring verification now?? Or do people just not want to believe that some hunts ride roughshod over land?? And before anyone has a go Im pro hunting have been trying to take my mare for two years now and she keeps hurting herself denying me the pleasure :rolleyes:

Because this thread was started at 02:07 p.m. (14:07 hrs) 26/12/11 and it now 8.47 p.m. - approx (20:47 hrs) 26/12/11 in that very short time frame there have been 1874 views and 62 posts (may be more by the time I post) that is a phenominal number by this board's normal rate of posting, indeed it might be an all time record.

Some very serious allegations have been made about a hunt somewhere, where we do not know, indeed the legality of their actual hunting has been questioned.

Therefore in those circumstances it is not unreasonable for posters and members of this forum to ask the originating poster to evidence and justify their very serious allegations, it is not?

Allover

Visit site
Well no, normally when posters have a grievance towards someone or something that could have legal implications they are advised to not name names, for obvious reasons!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Because this thread was started at 02:07 p.m. (14:07 hrs) 26/12/11 and it now 8.47 p.m. - approx (20:47 hrs) 26/12/11 in that very short time frame there have been 1874 views and 62 posts (may be more by the time I post) that is a phenominal number by this board's normal rate of posting, indeed it might be an all time record.

Some very serious allegations have been made about a hunt somewhere, where we do not know, indeed the legality of their actual hunting has been questioned.

Therefore in those circumstances it is not unreasonable for posters and members of this forum to ask the originating poster to evidence and justify their very serious allegations, it is not?

Yeah so that TFC has to come in and close the thread, the we all get another warning about defamation etc.

I think its right not to name and shame.

tractor

Visit site
Phone the Master, as others have said - whatever happened, you are unhappy with the events of today, the Hunt need to know this, they will be mortified, they won't do it again.

Just to balance the situation slightly, on our boxing Day meet today we found three loose young horses this morning in the middle of a forest - they had escaped early this morning. Our foot followers got them into a yard, borrowed a lorry and took them home.

From your description I would think hounds have "gone wrong" somehow, your field has unfortunately been the centre of this - you may find that Huntsman and Whips jumped in to control the hounds, Master didn't realise what had happened (yes, he should have done) and just followed - many of the field may not have been out before and it all just got a bit messy.....

I hope all of your horses are OK after their stress, and I also hope for the sake of hunting in general that the Masters and Secretary behave appropriately.

Judgemental

Visit site
I'm still here!

and I am sure numerous posters are waiting for your answers. For example are you going to follow the very good advice of Tractor and do you think hounds in reality made a mistake?

Upon editing my post, I quote from Tractor: "From your description I would think hounds have "gone wrong" somehow".

Do you are agree with Tractor?

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
and I am sure numerous posters are waiting for your answers. For example are you going to follow the very good advice of Tractor and do you think hounds in reality made a mistake?

Can i just ask why you feel you are ENTITLED to what hunt and the whereabouts??

You seem like one of those people who is evanglical about your subject to the point that people dont want to listen to you or answer your questions just because your pushing too much.

Visit site

Have emailed the master and will report the reply here when I have one.

Did the hounds make a mistake? They were following a scent... no mistaking that. Happy to give you details via PM Judgmental.

Judgemental

Visit site

You seem like one of those people who is evanglical about your subject to the point that people dont want to listen to you or answer your questions just because your pushing too much.

let's hear what the OP has to say? Tractor's post did not ask for the name of the hunt.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
let's hear what the OP has to say? Tractor's post did not ask for the name of the hunt.

Yes but you are?? And quite loudly. OP has offered to PM you but going by your previous posts it will end up on the thread anyway after you have done your nosing around.

OP it would be nice to hear what the master has to say. Hopefully its the reply we are hoping you get, a massive apology ;) :)

Judgemental

Visit site
Yes but you are?? And quite loudly. OP has offered to PM you but going by your previous posts it will end up on the thread anyway after you have done your nosing around.

OP it would be nice to hear what the master has to say. Hopefully its the reply we are hoping you get, a massive apology ;) :)

Festive Beastie, I have been a member of this forum since June 2010 and I have never once reported or quoted any PM.

I quote from your post: "but going by your previous posts it will end up on the thread anyway".

I would be obliged if you can justify that allegation with a direct quote of any PM I have received?

Allover

Visit site
Festive Beastie, I have been a member of this forum since June 2010 and I have never once reported or quoted any PM.

I quote from your post: "but going by your previous posts it will end up on the thread anyway".

I would be obliged if you can justify that allegation with a direct quote of any PM I have received?

You are spoiliing for a fight, nor more no less, no one has to justify themselves to you or anyone else on this forum.

Where is your festive spirit!

tractor

Visit site
I don't mind if the OP doesn't reply to me directly, I just know that as Secretary of a pack of hounds, I would be mortified if this had happened with our pack and would be doing all I could to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

The Masters need to know, and if it means you have to ring them to get a response then do so, asap.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
You are spoiliing for a fight, nor more no less, no one has to justify themselves to you or anyone else on this forum.

Where is your festive spirit!

Agreed. Your username says it all Im afraid. And youve been asking the OP to disclose the name and location on the thread so what else are people going to assume.

We are going on your actions on this thread I dont go digging through peoples older popsts to find controversy or proof. Childish and sad IMO.

Rose Folly

Visit site
I think this thread has got blown out of all proportion.

We live in 'hot air balloon country'. Eveyr summer dozens, and I mean dozens, of HABs land around our field. Mercifully, because we have electricity lines over it they usually try to avoid us, but not always. Wherupon the horses go berserk. And they then go berserk again when the long-base Land Rover plus x number of attendant helpers come to take the whole caboodle away.

Yes, we get annoyed - a bit - have to come in and have a g and t and a snarl. But that's life. These things happen. It's only because hunting is, I guess, a 'hot issue' that everybody's getting in a state about it. Get over it, get a life, move on.

Lizzie66

Visit site

Actually most folk on the "Hunting Forum" are very happy to listen to Judgemental !

The OP made a number of contradictory statements at the beginning of this post that led a number of us to believe that they were trolling.

The request for either the area or the hunt was to ascertain whether the OP is trolling.

If not then as most hunting folk have said on here then the hunt should have apologised at the time and the OP should definitely contact the hunt to make a complaint about them jumping in with her horses.

Nothing very festive in accusing JM of intending to behave dishonourably by disclosing the details of a PM !

Foxhunter49

Visit site
There are three hunts that come over our land, one, whose territory it is, will always either call in or ring to say they might be over. The other two often come this way but never tell me because they have no intentions of coming this way.

I run a TB stud and on more than one occasion have had yearlings led by my old 'nanny' mare, jump out over the hunt fences following hounds way before a huntsman or field are in sight. As she was matriarch the yearlings would follow. Odd thing was that the yearlings could be caught by members of the filed and leg back by hunting whips around their necks but the old mare was to cunning for that!

I doubt very much that your horses were terrified! They will generally buzz around in an area keeping to their own herd. Had you had a horse like my old mare then she would have led them out over the hunt fence to follow.

If I hear hounds then I will get the horses in because I will turn the electric fence off for hounds and I do not want them charging through it all. Them actually being out when the hunt goes through is part of their education as far as I am concerned.

I find the fact amusing that, as a hunting person, it doesn't worry me that the horses are out (other than the act I might have to get them in if they do follow!) whereas, you as a non hunting person worries.

Visit site
Actually most folk on the "Hunting Forum" are very happy to listen to Judgemental !

The OP made a number of contradictory statements at the beginning of this post that led a number of us to believe that they were trolling.

The request for either the area or the hunt was to ascertain whether the OP is trolling.

If not then as most hunting folk have said on here then the hunt should have apologised at the time and the OP should definitely contact the hunt to make a complaint about them jumping in with her horses.

Nothing very festive in accusing JM of intending to behave dishonourably by disclosing the details of a PM !

Not a troll but I can understand why you all might think that - new poster and all. I have contacted hunt and await reply. I dont have a problem with Judgemental asking for concrete facts. Have PMed him/her asking what they would llike to know, they haven't yet replied.

snopuma

Visit site
About 15 years ago a similar thing happened to me, I was assured the hunt were going nowhere near my field , the first thing I knew about it was a local farmer calling me and saying my horse had got and was being pusued by two of the hunt in an attempt to catch him?????

my horse set off through the high street, the industrial estate and 4 miles further down a main road, he had no shoes on as he was recovering from a colic op, I drove frantically up and down lanes for an hour, fully expecting to see the worst round every corner, until at last someone phoned me to say they had trapped him in a field but no-one could get near him, one of the hunt brought a lorry and he came running to me when I called him, they were very apologetic, but to be honest, they are all bl**dy idiots!!!! why would you even dare to go in someones field, this was before the ban, but thats no excuse, so thanks OS&B are all rude ignorant and yobbish, and I will never support hunting, this day could have been so much worse, they take liberties with other peoples horses, and yet call for liberty for themselves, keep the ban and take it further I say!

Visit site
I doubt very much that your horses were terrified! They will generally buzz around in an area keeping to their own herd. Had you had a horse like my old mare then she would have led them out over the hunt fence to follow.

If I hear hounds then I will get the horses in because I will turn the electric fence off for hounds and I do not want them charging through it all. Them actually being out when the hunt goes through is part of their education as far as I am concerned.

I find the fact amusing that, as a hunting person, it doesn't worry me that the horses are out (other than the act I might have to get them in if they do follow!) whereas, you as a non hunting person worries.

Are you really not worried about your horses if they are loose and galloping about the countryside? Maybe I'm over cautious but that thought fills me with horror.

Lizzie66

Visit site
About 15 years ago a similar thing happened to me, I was assured the hunt were going nowhere near my field , the first thing I knew about it was a local farmer calling me and saying my horse had got and was being pusued by two of the hunt in an attempt to catch him?????

my horse set off through the high street, the industrial estate and 4 miles further down a main road, he had no shoes on as he was recovering from a colic op, I drove frantically up and down lanes for an hour, fully expecting to see the worst round every corner, until at last someone phoned me to say they had trapped him in a field but no-one could get near him, one of the hunt brought a lorry and he came running to me when I called him, they were very apologetic, but to be honest, they are all bl**dy idiots!!!! why would you even dare to go in someones field, this was before the ban, but thats no excuse, so thanks OS&B are all rude ignorant and yobbish, and I will never support hunting, this day could have been so much worse, they take liberties with other peoples horses, and yet call for liberty for themselves, keep the ban and take it further I say!

If you weren't there are you sure they actually went through your field ? It is unusual around us for the hunt to go through fields with horses in them. We have more than once had horses jump out to join us.

You have described them as rude, ignorant and yobbish, as well as bl**dy idiots. They apologised profusely, spent more than hour trying to catch your horse, boxed it and took it home for you ? Now who was it you said was rude, ignorant .......... ?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I do sympathise, as a stud we too have had many problems with a local hunt.
Sadly as it's now going through the legal channels I cannot comment publicly about it, except to say the hunt will never set foot on any of our farm again.
Our family went on the London Marchas well as the joint meet at Postbridge and all of us have hunted regularly in the past, so it's about time they took a long hard look at their behaviour if they can upset pro hunting people like us.