Do you agree with keeping horses in 24/7?

Do you agree with keeping a horse in a stable 24/7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mandwhy

Visit site
No, I believe some horses 'prefer' to be stabled but only because they have been 'institutionalised' in their younger life, with some exceptions of course. I suppose if horse was genuinely happy then fine, but I'd have to see it to believe it. What the OP was suggesting of an acre and a large barn might be OK but obviously would need company which would make it more difficult.

I think bringing a horse out for exercise is not at all the same as turnout, they have no down time...

AdorableAlice

Visit site
At the moment if my horse has worked I will put her back inside.

I can't see the point of trashing fields that are already struggling due to the wet weather by turning the horse out if it has done plenty of work and has the temperament to stay in. My decision is based on respect for the land, the knowledge my horse can cope and forward thinking for grazing needs over the next 6 months.

It is very difficult to provide good grazing throughout the year and a compromise could be a trashed turnout patch for the horses to roll and play for a few hours. I think many livery clients have no idea of land management, and do not realise that the provision of spring and summer grazing is dependant on forward planning and very careful managment.

The exceptionally wet year we have just endured must be giving livery yard owners massive problems with managing grazing demands for their customers.

Doormouse

Visit site

I can't see the point of trashing fields that are already struggling due to the wet weather by turning the horse out if it has done plenty of work and has the temperament to stay in. My decision is based on respect for the land, the knowledge my horse can cope and forward thinking for grazing needs over the next 6 months.

It is very difficult to provide good grazing throughout the year and a compromise could be a trashed turnout patch for the horses to roll and play for a few hours. I think many livery clients have no idea of land management, and do not realise that the provision of spring and summer grazing is dependant on forward planning and very careful managment.

The exceptionally wet year we have just endured must be giving livery yard owners massive problems with managing grazing demands for their customers.

Very well said.

Life is never perfect and I do believe that provided you ensure your horse is exercised everyday then can and do cope with living in almost full time. Every horse is however an individual and some cope far better than others.

None of us have the right to judge others on how they choose to manage the routinue of their horses as long as the horses are happy.

I get a bit tired of coming on here and being made to feel that I am a bad horse owner because my horses wear rugs, have shoes and stay in sometimes.:rolleyes:

Hen

Visit site
Yes - if land preservation for the greater equine community is key. Yes, if any one horse is prone to laminitis/EMS/other nutritional or metabolic-induced symptoms; Yes, if said horses have been trained to 'random' grazing access/exercise arrangements. Seems to me, idealists aside, it is sensible to condition any domesticated animal to 'expect the unexpected' - so that when and if it happens, it can cope without undue stress.

noodle_

Visit site
nope!

id rather sell my horse than keep her in 24/7!

because i want her OUT 24./7 she lives an hour away from me in livery.....

Im hoping when I bring her home in 2014 i can find a yard with stables that offer daily turnout even in winter........ i dont expect 24/7 all year at all but i wouldnt accept a yard that didnt offer 9 hours + daily even in winter!

Pale Rider

Visit site

Horses first, fields second.

Moobucket

Visit site
If you want a pet that you can keep in an enclosed, straw box, get a rabbit

Lol! Here here! :D

Although I have to say, I struggle with my cobs weight so I can see the benefits of small yard turnout and the such like during problem periods. It's a compromise but getting the grass right isn't going to happen overnight.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
For those sayin that land management must come first and allowing winter grazing and mud bath fields will ruin the summer grazing obviously have poor land management in the first place. Too many livery yards take on as many horses as land allows when they should take less to allow for winter messing up of fields.
All my previous yards (4) have had at least 5 acres extra land which gets used in winter so summer turnout gets a rest.therefore all horses. Our winter fields are used to make hay or haylage in summer so with good post winter management it works fine we always make plenty of forage.
It maybe due to where i live that yards have extra land but i doubt that they just look at the bigger picture.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I wouldn't ever go to a yard where turn out wasn't an option but I would consider a yard that had limited turnout during snow for example if they offered a fair days turnout for MOST of the year.

Of all of you who are suggesting that it is a fate worth than death, how many of you have a fish tank in your house, bird in a cage, rabbit, mouse blah blah blah?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Horses first, fields second.

And it is uneducated comments like that, that will result in many equines having no grazing come spring and many equines standing up to their bellies in mud.

The vast majority of pleasure riders have no choice but to keep their animals at assorted levels of livery, they have to adhere to rules and routines.

For those able to manage grassland to optimum grazing levels it is far more sensible to plan in advance and if necessary close fields, especially undrained fields. Perhaps you are fortunate enough to have many hundreds of acres and no need to think about land management.

Pale Rider

Visit site
And it is uneducated comments like that, that will result in many equines having no grazing come spring and many equines standing up to their bellies in mud.

The vast majority of pleasure riders have no choice but to keep their animals at assorted levels of livery, they have to adhere to rules and routines.

For those able to manage grassland to optimum grazing levels it is far more sensible to plan in advance and if necessary close fields, especially undrained fields. Perhaps you are fortunate enough to have many hundreds of acres and no need to think about land management.

Thought you'd gone to bed, :D

armchair_rider

Visit site
Given the choice between no turnout and no stables I wouldn't hesitate to choose no stables. But I don't think many people are actually in that situation.

Personally I think that keeping horses in 24/7 for short periods because of terrible weather or injury is entirely reasonable (and I agree that standing hock deep in mud in pouring rain is no better for a horse than being stuck in a stable - they aren't designed for either). Part of the problem is compromising the horse's mental health - need for contact with other horses, desire for freedom against its physical health - mud fever, risk of injury.

I'm against stabling 24/7 as a permanant lifestyle unless the horse is getting huge amounts of exercise, has lots of other horses stabled around them, gets plenty of grooming and has some chance to pick at grass and roll. And even then they should have spells where they do get turned out to relax.

rodeo12

Visit site
Animal Welfare Act states that animals must have;

• Somewhere suitable to live
  • A proper diet, including fresh water
  • The ability to express normal behaviour
  • For any need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals
  • Protection from, and treatment of, illness and injury

By stabling 24/7 I'd say that the first four out of five of those standards in the Animal Welfare Act are being broken, unless with reasoning covered by the fifth standard I don't agree with it at all.

Pan

1. A stable is suitable living accomodation, as long as it's spacious, good ventilation.
2. Proper diet - well if you look at the rules of feeding then it's all about forage, which hay would be the substitute to grass. Then there's the feeding something succulent - well apples and carrots etc will help with that.
3. My horses get time to scratch each other -one gets to mooch around on the concrete when I'm mucking out so goes and itches/plays with the other horses in the stables.
4. Well they're never stabled alone so can always see other horses.

This might sound such a stupid reply but just shows that actually horses can be well looked after in this routine. Mine don't get full turnout, they do get ridden for at least 2 hours a day.

Pale Rider

Visit site

Thinking about land management occupies my mind on occasion, lol. Basically, keeping horses in stables for prolonged periods is detrimental to their long term health, both physically and mentally. As someone said, if you want to keep something in a box of shavings, get a rabbit. The concept of work and horses for many riders is hard for me to get my head around. The level of work they think they are doing is nothing like they should be doing, before putting their horse back in it's cage, sorry meant stable, much nicer word.
Equally, in the summer time our grassland managers, manage to create a scenario where pain and often death is the result of their painstakingly well kept lush fields of 'good grazing'.
Personally, I use a track system winter and summer. Horses are not stabled but have access to shelter. The tracks are dry, so horses are never in mud. Always fed haylage which removes some of the risks associated with grazing these awful cow pastures. Because the horses are kept off the fields and on the tracks we make more palatable haylage than we need, horses are healthier year round and at less risk of laminitis, and not driven insane by being caged for hours and hours.

Pale Rider

Visit site
1. A stable is suitable living accomodation, as long as it's spacious, good ventilation.
2. Proper diet - well if you look at the rules of feeding then it's all about forage, which hay would be the substitute to grass. Then there's the feeding something succulent - well apples and carrots etc will help with that.
3. My horses get time to scratch each other -one gets to mooch around on the concrete when I'm mucking out so goes and itches/plays with the other horses in the stables.
4. Well they're never stabled alone so can always see other horses.

This might sound such a stupid reply but just shows that actually horses can be well looked after in this routine. Mine don't get full turnout, they do get ridden for at least 2 hours a day.

Personally, I think these 'rules' have been drawn up by people with limited knowledge of horses, based along fairly traditional lines.

I don't think stables are suitable for horses, no matter how plush, for long lengths of time.

Horses should be fed a consistent forage based fiber, which should be available ad-lib, apples and carrots are not horse feed, too high in sugar for many.

You only need to look at the grills all around some yards to know that the behaviour expressed is anything but normal.

Most livery yards seem to go for an isolationist policy stable, and individual paddock, horses are herd animals.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Horses should never be in the stable 24/7 unless they are ill or injured.
I can see that in some some circumstances providing daily turnout is not possible mine may not get out everyday if they are say travelling to a clinic or a show or having a day hunting in winter , if they are worked and clipped in a day they may not have turnout in winter when the day is short however if not turned out mine recieve hard work that day.
I do not recognise PRers " insane" stabled horses on my yard .
However I was appalled to hear that are big DIY yards round here where horses are being stabled 24/7 all winter with no provision for exercise daily.
That's not acceptable if you can't exercise your horse daily you must not ever keep it on a no turnout yard personally I would never keep a horse where no turnout was available but accept that's easy to say from my ivory tower.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
No, not ever ever:eek:.

All of mine live out 24/7 as I feel this suits them all just fine:cool:. I would love access to the odd stable I have to admit for certain occasions but I hate the thought of them even being in overnight. Im claustrophobic so perhaps thats why I feel this way..?? :confused:
However, horses live outside naturally so Im happy with that.