Dog confiscated from family for no good reason...

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Not sure if this has already been posted on here but Lennox is a lab cross who was taken from his family for looking too much like a banned breed. He's been kept in awful conditions for about a year and is likely to be destroyed soon... Leaving a very heartbroken family with young children behind. There's a campaign being held to try and save him or ar least give him a fair trial. Details of a petition and campaign at www.savelennoxpetition.co.uk it's an awfully sad situation please take a look if you, like me, are just imagining how awful it would be to have your dog just taken away to be destroyed with no justification. :(

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Agree its a desperately sad situation, and Lennox isn't the only dog in this situation. I signed the petition a while ago but thanks for hopefully bringing this to the attention of more people.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I have a lab x staffy, he was on death row after he was found abandoned in south london.We think he was bred as a status or fighting dog but he is too soppy by far to be one, hence possible reason for the abandonment. He was due to be put to sleep at the age of approx 5 1/2 months old, I fostered him to save him from that fate, we ended up keeping him, he is now about 5 years old and still as soppy and as loving as ever but looks like a drugs dealers dog, looks can be so deceiving. I have signed the petition and hope he is saved.
Here's my lab cross

Barneythepixie.jpg

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Just for info guys, the petition states that Lennox is an American Bulldog Cross, I was told by a friend who works for an American Bulldog Rescue charity that he has some lab in him but is officially an American Bulldog Cross. Nevertheless, the friend in question has several of these dogs and they are wonderful creatures and also they are NOT pitbulls and so should not be destroyed for looking vaguely like them.

Thanks MM - you are right, poor Lennox is not the first. However, there is hopefully building up quite a bit of awareness around this campaign and anything that can help to highlight the inadequate way in which the dangerous dogs bill etc is put together can only be positive. I really hope this guy doesn't get wrongly destroyed, I feel so sad for his poor family.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
I have a lab x staffy, he was on death row after he was found abandoned in south london.We think he was bred as a status or fighting dog but he is too soppy by far to be one, hence possible reason for the abandonment. He was due to be put to sleep at the age of approx 5 1/2 months old, I fostered him to save him from that fate, we ended up keeping him, he is now about 5 years old and still as soppy and as loving as ever but looks like a drugs dealers dog, looks can be so deceiving. I have signed the petition and hope he is saved.
Here's my lab cross

Barneythepixie.jpg

Oh he's lovely, such a lovely face!!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I too signed the petition when it was brought to our attention some time ago. I would have hoped it had been resolved by now and this poor boy returned home.

Hope common sense prevails and he is sent home. Anyone who hasnt signed the petition I urge you to add your signature it might make the difference.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Apparently he's been kept in awful small, dingy and cramped conditions for the past year. Poor lad. So it would figure that people have heard of this before. One of the worst hit victims of bureaucracy it seems.

lochpearl

Visit site
Oh yes Cally they did a great write up in the newspaper and as such the truth has come out further where it has proved the dogwardens have lied.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Thanks for that link Callly,certainly made for interesting reading. Im sure if my dogs were shut up for 10 months they would also be aggressive but Im sure that would apply to a lot of dogs.

Hells Bells your dog is lovely.

CalllyH

Visit site
It also states the mother has admitted in court he is not a lab cross.

The dog in the photo on here is lovely and you can see lab in him.

Camel

Visit site
Deleted as after reading the article don't really want to offend the family or the Lennox supporters :eek: :eek:

Heres hoping to the best resolution for Lennox :(

Last edited:

EAST KENT

Visit site
Well yes ,he definitely is a pit,but that does`nt make him dangerous.It states "during a licence inspection" for what? Was he already on the exemption law?
In my kennels right now is a bull terrier bitch I bred,she is a bit shy of strangers as well;the police had tried to "remove" her from a shed (long story) and two dog handlers piled in on the terrified bitch..so yes ,one got nipped.The dog warden then came and tamed this "dangerous" dog down with Smackos.
As she is tattooed it was found I was her breeder,and here she is,a delightful soft little bitch ..just a little shy.Now of course she bounces around wagging as she knows me now..maybe she remembers her first home? Her owner collects her on Wednesday,so a good ending due to a brilliant dog warden in Hastings.
Lennox is probably exactly as Gwennie is,but is unfortunate enough to look the way he does,and has an owner daft enough to say "he`ll tear your head off" to an official. So sad the dog almost always pays the price.

EAST KENT

Visit site
Over here KL he is "of the type" and that is all they care about.Mostly they are now called Irish Staffies..but our daft law does`nt discriminate.Why not post us some pictures of what YOU consider pits?? Educate us!:D

FionaM12

Visit site
Took me a few goes with the "find the pitbull" but I got there in the end!
My dog according to some, could easily be taken for a banned breed, see page one with photo of black dog, I have never had anyone suggest mine is a banned breed but it is a worry that someone one day will think he is.

Your dog looks so lovely and gentle, and the lab part really shows, I would hope no-one will ever think he's a risk.

Sadly though, for poor Lennox, if the Belfast Telegraph's story is true, he's known to snarl and growl at strangers and his owner said he'd "Tear your head off". Another of his owners said "he’s just frightened of people he doesn’t know. He is a big dog but he has no issue with anyone or anything, except strangers.”

Trouble is, surely a large dog who's frightened of strangers COULD be a danger to the public? And after a year of being locked up, his fears are possibly worse.

A terribly sad story, especially for the little girl who only knows him as her devoted pet.

Last edited:

lexiedhb

Visit site
Took me a few goes with the "find the pitbull" but I got there in the end!
My dog according to some, could easily be taken for a banned breed, see page one with photo of black dog, I have never had anyone suggest mine is a banned breed but it is a worry that someone one day will think he is.

Im the same although I got the pit the first time- having seen pics that KatieLou posted on here before- they are actually much smaller than you think.

Basically any Staff X over here "can" be labelled "pit".

Deed not Breed!!;)

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Y'all realize there is no such thing as a "pit bull" right? And that dog looks nothing like an apbt.

Sadly, over here, it's a case of "if the face fits"...........

I'd love to be a dog warden. I haven't got faith in them - the ones I've had dealings with are generally, middle-aged men swanning about in a works vehicle doing f..k all. I could say more but won't.:eek:

soloabe

Visit site
I know its if the face fits and thats my point. They are not looking for real APBT they are the only real breed. "pits" or "pitbulls" are nothing they are just a name people have come up with for a type which depending on where you live changes.
For example here that black dog posted further up would be call 100% pit.
Anything with even a hint of bully is pitbull.

A true APBT looks nothing like any of them.

So my point is they need to decide what they are looking for. Are they actually banning a breed or not? Can i actually own an ABPT in England seeing as they don't look the pitbull part?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I know its if the face fits and thats my point. They are not looking for real APBT they are the only real breed. "pits" or "pitbulls" are nothing they are just a name people have come up with for a type which depending on where you live changes.
For example here that black dog posted further up would be call 100% pit.
Anything with even a hint of bully is pitbull.

A true APBT looks nothing like any of them.

So my point is they need to decide what they are looking for. Are they actually banning a breed or not? Can i actually own an ABPT in England seeing as they don't look the pitbull part?[/

Have a look at this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/65/section/1/enacted

FionaM12

Visit site
I wonder when this will spread to the other fighting breeds there.

It was a law brought in in a hurry and doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. It came in because there was a lot of talk in the media about a "rise" in the keeping of fighting dogs, and a perseved rise in dog attacks. Whether this was real or hype is open to question.

The government at the time were of the opinion that most of the dogs involved in the attacks were "pit bull types" and hastily brought in the legislation.

Ever since there have been arguements about what exactly a pit bull type is.