Dogs & Working Full Time

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So I would love to have a dog and always have wanted one, but I have always worked full time and I am not keen on the idea of leaving them at home all day every day. It was fine when we had dogs in the close family for me to steal regularly, but now I have come to the realisation that I will always be working full time and so there is no point waiting for a point where this may change.

Is there a way to manage having a dog/dogs and working full time? I am loathe to pay a dog walker every day when I will be walking them for miles before/after work - and I don't have family to take them during the day as I have now moved areas.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I work full time and have dogs, as did my (single) mother, so I grew up that way and never knew anything different.
It was a surprise when I joined HHO and found out that it was frowned upon by some and a shock to see some of the emotive guilt trips which were deployed, suggesting one couldn't love or care for dogs and work full time.
In the past I have changed hours/moved jobs, changed vehicles, ended relationships and moved house to better accommodate them, so personally I will no longer take lectures about it lol.
I also do not pay a walker or daycare and probably over compensate in terms of walks, training, activity, stimulation.
An older dog or rescue/rehome would probably work better in your situation?
I think I PM'd you my daily routine to help your friend (apologies if that wasn't you!!) it is absolutely doable and better a dog in a home rather than lying in a rescue kennel somewhere.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I agree totally with CC's post. We have had many dogs over the years when we both worked full time and when we didn't. I have never had to pay anyone else to help with mine either.

I also did the same with a really good walk first thing, a dog door from the kitchen into an extremely well fenced yard, and lots of long walks and activity in the evenings. I never had one misfit and all were happy and contented well adjusted dogs.

I dont know where all this hype in recent years about not leaving a dog for more than 4 hours or whatever the latest chant is. I think the rescue centres would be able to find many wonderful and excellent homes for a lot more dogs if they put their reality hats on.

I am retired now so home all day anyway but even so I would still expect any dog of mine to be more than capable of dealing with my absence for a good few hours a day without going into meltdown.

Annette4

Visit site
We have dogs and both work full time, initally we both worked 'funny' shifts they weren't left for more than 3 hours. I have since always had quite a long commute so did pay someone to let them out at lunch time, twice a day when Fizz was a puppy.

Currently I have a long commute but OH works 20 mins walk away so any days where I have to go into the office and he's working then he comes home at lunch so they're not left for more than 4 hours however my current pair wouldn't give two hoots if we left them for 8 hours and they have been on occasion and we're just as annoyed at being woken up as always.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We have 2 and both work full time. One of us takes them out in the mornings, then they either come up the horses with me after work (depends on weather as they have to wait in car whilst I do jobs), or we walk them in the evenings. When we aren’t at work, they tend to come most places with us. Both tend to sleep all day, or sit staring out the window watching the world go by.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I would still expect any dog of mine to be more than capable of dealing with my absence for a good few hours a day without going into meltdown.

That's also a breeding/genetics issue which has cropped up over the years but it's whole other can of worms for another day lol.
Remember taking a break from showing for a few years and coming back and wondering where all the neuroses had come from?!
Someone asked me to hold a dog while they popped to the car and the poor thing turned itself inside out trying to back out of the collar and had a screaming fit :(
Mental stability and nerve strength has been sacrificed for looks.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
We both worked full time when we got the spaniel. Had someone come in at lunchtime to let him out for a wee while he was little but he could be left for longer once grown up a bit. I was teaching, out earlier and home earlier than OH so it wasn't quite a full working day all the time but still. When I was working part time later on both dogs would go a full working day with no issues. You just have to invest time before and after work so they just get to sleeping all day. When we were both working full time we didn't go out in the evening unless we could take the dog! He went to birthday parties and all sorts. ?

smolmaus

Visit site
It's the reason I haven't got a dog as well. I just wouldn't feel right about it personally even though I know logically it works for a lot of people.

My friend's dog stays with me fairly often and she seems happy enough to be by herself while her people are at work. She is an anxious nutball in general and does need to be plastered onto you when you're home but she similarly sleeps all day when she's alone. You also hear stories of dogs howling the house down, chewing the doors, self harming etc who obviously just can't handle it. What do you do if you end up with the former?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
At various times I have...

Been a student and worked evenings/weekends
Worked nights
Taken a low-paid job because I could walk home at lunchtimes
Taken an only slighter better paid job and had the rush and expense of driving home every lunchtime

Due to the current situation OH is now working from home and I'm back in the walking distance office where I can also take a dog with me if I need to, which is proving ideal for everyone. Without judging other people's situations, I personally would not leave a dog for a full 8+ hour work day - but have had to accept that seriously caps my career potential. Some people find this choice bonkers. ?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
You also hear stories of dogs howling the house down, chewing the doors, self harming etc who obviously just can't handle it. What do you do if you end up with the former?

As a more general point, a combination of picking a horse for the course/good training really helps.
Good breeders will sepatate out puppies in ones and twos as part of their own assessment/preparation for leaving home and buyers with their heads screwed on will include how they cope away from littermates or isolated in a room for a short period or a short spin in a car as part of their assessment.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think it depends on the dog and your set up.
I have done it but the dogs were never shut in a house, they always had a garden or kennel. I wouldn't leave a dog asleep all day and then expect it to sleep all evening and night as well. When I lived in Oz they were chained up. And they survived! (Wouldn't do that now, but it did no harm).
Think carefully on the breed and be realisitic about how much exercise/stimulation you can give it.
If you have another time consuming hobby, like horses, can you really manage both? Dogs are as much work as horses if you are fitting them around work. If your dog gets left home alone all day Saturday and Sunday while you are at the yard/riding is that fair on them?
So I have always been against it, but I have now mellowed, it is certainly better than a rescue kennel for nearly all dogs. It would be very hard with a pup though.

Clodagh

Visit site
Very good point and we have always had more than one dog so probably why it always worked very well for us.

I did it with a lone dog, she was fine, but she was older before my dad moved away and couldn't have her during the week.
Rescues often have bonded pairs, which I tend to roll my eyes at but perhaps they would be perfect in this situation?

Moobli

Visit site
It can definitely work if you are prepared to be dedicated. I have worked full time and had dogs in the past, but I sacrificed a social life and any spare time away from work revolved around the dogs. I was up at the crack of dawn to walk, train, play before work, I changed jobs so I could get home for 40 mins or more over lunchtime to let them out and break up the day, and every evening/weekend was spent doing dog activities. It is not for everyone and personally I think if you have other commitments and a busy social life, then it might not be very fair on a dog.

Also a slight word of caution, choose the dog or breed very carefully. A high drive, working bred dog is less likely to settle with less activity than a dog bred to be a pet or from show lines. An older rescue that is used to being alone for a few hours is probably a better option for a full time worker. An 8 week old puppy requires much more in terms of companionship, training etc than is generally possible by someone out of the house for 8+ hours a day.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Working full time was the reason I never had my own dog, plus I had horses. Once my situation changed, I got a dog.

Whilst I know that people can and do make it work, I generally think it’s quite a big ask of any dog to essentially spend most of its life alone.

Clodagh

Visit site
Working full time was the reason I never had my own dog, plus I had horses. Once my situation changed, I got a dog.

Whilst I know that people can and do make it work, I generally think it’s quite a big ask of any dog to essentially spend most of its life alone.

I agree with Moobli that it has to become what you do. I used to start at 6 some mornings so would be out walking at 4am. Not bad this time of year, but it still had to be done in January. Other days I had a later start but got home at 11, it was in the door and grab the lead.
Luckily I am an antisocial person anyway so only spending down time with the dog suited me well.
I know on here before I have said I'm against it, and I think you need to be super committed to do it.

smolmaus

Visit site
As a more general point, a combination of picking a horse for the course/good training really helps.
Good breeders will sepatate out puppies in ones and twos as part of their own assessment/preparation for leaving home and buyers with their heads screwed on will include how they cope away from littermates or isolated in a room for a short period or a short spin in a car as part of their assessment.
Yeah the fact that a person is considering the ethics of leaving the dog all day and not just... getting a dog because they want one already makes it more likely they will research how to do it properly. Already ahead of the curve!

I'm thinking mostly about rescues as I don't think I would want a puppy anyway so its "Why adopt a dog if you can't give it the best life possible" vs "A home where you are alone for 8 hours but loved is better than kennels" and I am still conflicted!

Horses for courses in this case = I get cats instead

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
That's really interesting, I think mine has always come from my mothers immediate response to any conversation about having a dog which is 'you can't, you work full time'. It was always the response growing up, and still is now if I mention it, even though I'm an adult and it wouldn't affect her (anything I think of doing I chat to her about, I don't need permission I know this :p) - she would love a dog so isn't using it as an excuse, I guess she has always been of the opinion that it's an absolute no, so consequently I grew up assuming that it wasn't the right thing to do.

I wouldn't consider a puppy at this point, however much I would love to have a dog/dogs from start to finish training wise, as I definitely don't have the time for this, and don't think that a full time worker is the right start to life for a puppy, so I would be looking to rehome. I can't go to a rescue as they won't let me have a dog working full time! Plus my garden isn't huge but is big enough for a mooch and a poo; and my previous cat that I inherited was rather fat later on in life so I already have a small dog flap - I think the main rescues like you to have a big outside space.

The dog I have always longed for is a Doberman - I used to care for one that I just loved everything about. However perhaps two small, adult and low prey drive dogs are a good idea for me at this point. Well, once I am back to normal at work and know for certain that my job/salary is safe. I do actually live 1.5 miles from where I work but don't want to bank on this as I won't be there forever, but the yard is on a huge private farm and is at the foot of the Downs so walks will be easy to fit in around life. Our yard is very dog friendly too which is a bonus!

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I think I PM'd you my daily routine to help your friend (apologies if that wasn't you!!) it is absolutely doable and better a dog in a home rather than lying in a rescue kennel somewhere.

Yes, this was me! I have been meaning to pass on thanks from friend, she is just about coping and coming to terms with her new regimented life but is starting to enjoy it.

Better in a home than a rescue is a really interesting point that I hadn't considered too, I quite agree with you on that one!

Lintel

Visit site
Another full timer here.
Wouldn't be without a dog.. Its just not a home to me if there is no doggo!
I work 12.5 hour shifts and I suppose I you were single that could be struggle without the help of a dog walker or sitter but OH is self employed and is in and out most of the day so it works well for us ?

conniegirl

Visit site
We both work full time and for 3 years had one very happy beagle.
he had a long walk before and after work and tge complete run of the house when we were out. Accidents in the house were incredibly rare and Jezza was happy.
In August last year we got daisy the border terrier, she is also happy to br left.
Both dogs walked before and after work but between 8am and 4.30pm they are on thier own but seem perfectly happy.

i dont believe in having dogs sleep in crates and both my dogs have beds at the end of our bed. Both dogs curl up on the sofa with us each evening.

Reactions: L&M

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think the singledom is as much of an issue for me as the full time working is.
I work only 8 miles from home but only get a half hour lunch and even an hour would be tricky as only 15 mins at home probably. We do have local dog walkers but it would have to be something that could go into that situation fairly quickly.
My friends are quite well spread out over the country, could I take a dog to all of theirs and stay the night (well not the allergic ones!)
Could I take them to all the horsey stuff, probably not.
I can't afford another horse right now and I definitely don't think I could manage both though.
Part of me would love to make it work but I can't just right it in my head as doable.

angrybird1

Visit site
Maybe look at it like lockdown! Have you been shut in all.day with nothing to do? yes they will sleep a lot but is that because they have nothing else to do? I wouldnt be happy leaving mine without at least a toilet break in the middle of the day.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m another conflicted person. Due to the OH’s shifts, ours aren’t left more than 4 hours except for one day a month. The neighbour then either takes them into her house where they have the run of the place or she sits with them, watches TV, lets them out etc.

I don’t know much about Doberman’s bar a prevalence of Wobblers in some lines. I’d be tempted for a Manchester terrier (or two) if you like how they look-mini version. Someone on here has them.

I think choose your breed and age carefully. I agree, they’re better off with an owner than in kennels, but I’d want to be at home to settle a new dog initially. We get ours in summer so I can spend a month with them.

The way to deal with it is to have 2 compatible dogs that can keep each other company, ime.

Maybe, but I know people who have done this and it made no difference to the dog with separation anxiety.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yes, this was me! I have been meaning to pass on thanks from friend, she is just about coping and coming to terms with her new regimented life but is starting to enjoy it.

Better in a home than a rescue is a really interesting point that I hadn't considered too, I quite agree with you on that one!

No worries. Like many things, it becomes normal after a while ;) I think we humans have a tendency to overthink things.