Dogs & Working Full Time

{97702}

Visit site
I disagree - 90% of ex racing greyhounds are happy with two x half hour walks. I know plenty that would protest with more walks and I also know some that are happy to go further but essentially 2 shortish walks a day are fine. They are sprinters and the advice i always give when doing home checks is if you want to do longer distances build them up to it. There is a greyhound for everyone but generally they aren't bothered about long walks - usually we debunk the myth that they need lots of exercise as they raced. Mine have always been happy with short or long walks but its all down to how you settle them in and the temperament of the dog

Lol most of the 10 or so I’ve had so far must be in the 10% then ? If Ace only gets 2 x 1/2 hour he spends the day hurling round the garden like an eejit (which is interesting with him being the size he is lol!)

I’m absolutely not saying they need marathons, of course they don’t, and I’m well aware that Marty hound sulks if he is asked to walk more than about 2 1/2 miles - but there is a balance for me ?

ihatework

Visit site
I think if you work full time you can’t rely on being able to leave a dog all day with just a wee break/short walk at lunchtime. Some dogs will adapt to that pretty easily, especially if they have dog company and decent exercise before and after work, others won’t.

Of the 3 dogs I have had my Labrador would have tolerated it well, but would certainly have been happier not needing to. My Manchester terrier would not have given 2 shites - as long as she had a blanket to snuggle under she would sleep all day given half a chance. My cocker spaniel it would completely destroy.

I only have the spaniel at the moment and she is a busy little thing but actually doesn’t need huge time investment for exercise. For her it’s more about variety and having her person around - she comes to the office with me and sleeps most of the day. Has a few balls at lunch, gets 30 mins free running/buzzing about/hunting before and after work, with longer walks in the weekend and is perfectly satisfied with that.

The lab and the terrier I had a rule, no more than 2 days a week left at home all day with a dog walker. If I was away more it was home boarding. The Spaniel never gets left more than 3 hours, and even then she gets a lot of exercise first and is crated. If I’m not around she goes to a friend or the home boarder.

L&M

Visit site
The way to deal with it is to have 2 compatible dogs that can keep each other company, ime.

Totally agree with this - we have only had 2 dogs at a time, so that they have company for each other if we are out all day, whether it be for work or hunting etc....

Both houses that we have lived in ,whilst having dogs, have had back doors and a very secure back garden, so the door left open if out for long periods of the time.

It can be hard work as they need to be excercised before and after work, and winter can be tough with the lack of daylight hours, but then we take them for longer runs at the weekends to compensate. We also always holiday in the UK so the dogs can come with us.

We have had several dogs in this routine and have all been content and well adjusted.