Dogs & Working Full Time

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Horses for courses in this case = I get cats instead

Another can of worms, but I have real issues with a pet animal being allowed out to shit in other people's gardens, kill wildlife, be exposed to death by road accident/dog attack etc.

Not saying this is you by the way!! But definitely the people round me. But people seem to have more of an ethical dilemma surrounding having a dog and working full time?
Are we seriously saying only the retired, out of work, WFH/PT people or the comfortably well-off or couples can have dogs?

smolmaus

Visit site
Another can of worms, but I have real issues with a pet animal being allowed out to shit in other people's gardens, kill wildlife, be exposed to death by road accident/dog attack etc.

Not saying this is you by the way!! But definitely the people round me. But people seem to have more of an ethical dilemma surrounding having a dog and working full time?
Are we seriously saying only the retired, out of work, WFH/PT people or the comfortably well-off or couples can have dogs?
I am absolutely with you. House cats always for me, or at least cats safely contained in your garden. But, to spill the can of ethics-worms into this thread directly, some charities won't rehome cats that have previously been outdoors (most of them) to indoor-only homes as they think they won't adjust!

I think it's reasonable to say people who aren't home all day or most of the day need to think harder about whether is dog is a good idea and possibly make (potentially awkward and expensive) adjustments that people who are in those categories don't have to make.

leflynn

Visit site
I work full time, live on my own, have a horse and normally up to an hour commute, I also work away sometimes (1-2 nights max a week) and have a greyhound. I also volunteer for a greyhound rescue that rehomes to people like me. She is an only dog and my previous one was too and for my own sanity and her company I pay a dog walker a few pounds to pop in and take her round the block for leg stretch and comfort break at lunchtime. She seems as happy as larry, sleeps all day and gets 3 walks a day, its as much about choosing the right type as the dog's personality. It can be tough sometimes but she is worth it and she's a great sidekick :D

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
If you were feeling incredibly kind you could rehome an oldie. They would (probably) be happy to be left, no one wants them and even if you only have them for a year it could be a good year. Just make sure vets bills are contributed to by the charity.

This is something I have definitely considered - but it took me 2 years to have another horse after I lost my previous boy so not sure whether I would be able to do it time and time again.

However, saying that - all of the dogs I am drawn to on the rehoming websites, which I look at daily, are the oldies with the salt and pepper faces that look like they just need a good sofa to lay on. I also think that older dogs would be happier to be left at home for longer periods of time, although I still think I would prefer to have a couple so they weren't totally on their own.

FinnBobs

Visit site
I am very lucky that I can take my dogs to work with me every day. One of them is remarkably introverted though and sometimes appreciates a quiet day at home, you can tell when she's getting stressed and needs a break. They are show bred Rough Collies and are pretty lazy as long as they get at least one walk and a run in the garden.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I am absolutely with you. House cats always for me, or at least cats safely contained in your garden. But, to spill the can of ethics-worms into this thread directly, some charities won't rehome cats that have previously been outdoors (most of them) to indoor-only homes as they think they won't adjust!

I think it's reasonable to say people who aren't home all day or most of the day need to think harder about whether is dog is a good idea and possibly make (potentially awkward and expensive) adjustments that people who are in those categories don't have to make.

See, I'm not sure I undertand why you are against one and not the other here. You don't think it's okay to leave a dog at home all day despite being able to take them for long walks before/after work - but you are more comfortable with having a house-cat who is confined to the house 24/7?

Karran

Visit site
I work full time, when I picked up Mrs Spaniel I left her at 8, got home at 5. Now I also have Miss Collie and commute into London, still leave at 8 but depending on trains can be home any time around 6.15/6.30.

However I live with my brother who works shifts and weekends, so they normally only have three days alone.

I walk them for at least an hour in the mornings doing ball chucking or working on the collier's general obedience. He will either leave for work at 11 or get home at 3 and makes sure they go into the garden. In summer months, as long as someone's in the house we'll leave back door open so they can come and go as they please. If not they have full run of house bar bedrooms.
When I come home they have another decent long walk/come to the yard/go to their obidence or agility classes.

At weekends I am either out at flyball comps or training or the odd agility show or we do long 7/9 mile walks down in Kent. I feel incredibly guilty if I leave them for a reason - even a night out - at the weekends as they spend the week alone.

Judging by last 9 weeks, they spend their days dozing on sofa and getting offended that we're ruining their daytime routines!

I probably wouldn't have got them or at least not the breeds that I have if I lived alone and didnt have my brother to help break their days up.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
See, I'm not sure I undertand why you are against one and not the other here. You don't think it's okay to leave a dog at home all day despite being able to take them for long walks before/after work - but you are more comfortable with having a house-cat who is confined to the house 24/7?
See I'm the opposite, I can't stand the idea of house cats.

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't think people should have cats that wander. I hate the idea of house cats but I have seen some excellent cat proofed gardens that allow the cat to still go outside and kill things, but atleast they can only kill things on one person's premises.

smolmaus

Visit site
Ideally it would be safe for cats to go outdoors and amuse themselves but it just isn't. The average outdoor cat life span is 5-6 years and indoor cats can live to 20. Believe me I have had this argument a lot with my mother but having one of our cats just disappear one day when she was 5 and the other die of an infected bite before 10 I am perfectly comfortable having healthy, safe indoor cats. They do take a lot more work with enrichment and keeping them from getting too chunky but they also tend to have a closer bond with their people.

Edit: Also it's not the walks that the dog tends to miss, it's the company. Cats are much less likely to suffer from separation anxiety though of course some still do. I'm getting an older bonded pair to cover all my bases.

giphy.gif

Bellaboo18

Visit site
But are you happy with them toileting in other people's gardens, killing birds and getting run over? As that seems to be par for the course round here :(
I wouldn't have a cat personally but don't have a problem with them going to the toilet in my garden (I imagine this is an unusual view), I suppose I see them as semi wild animals so the same as birds pooing in my garden. I'd rather they had some fresh air! As for being run over, it's a reason I wouldn't have a cat, I'd drive myself crazy with worry but it's quality of life over quantity.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Completely fair point of view, I was just curious as to the reasoning. Our childhood cats tended towards the overweight so whilst they could, they never did roam much past the garden and both sisters made it to nearly 25; we did also have farm cats. Although saying that we did have one cat that was run over, and another who was shot at point blank range one day, and then was run over the day after they had been let out after surgery/physio etc so I can see both points of view.

I personally wouldn't be happy having a house cat and don't have my own cats as they're not really my cup of tea, but mum has always had them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Everyone at work has cats.
They all trash various parts of their houses :p
I'm not keen :p
The neighbours cats like to leave shit on the small bit of gravel in front of my house it's lovely. My previous house they would do it in the bed under the kitchen window, took me a while to work out why it stank.

smolmaus

Visit site
Although saying that we did have one cat that was run over, and another who was shot at point blank range one day, and then was run over the day after they had been let out after surgery/physio etc so I can see both points of view.
Horrific :(

People used to let their dogs free range all day long too, I am just about old enough to remember my Granda being disgusted that he was expected to keep Zelda in the garden all day! Dog warden kept bringing her back because she leaped the fence and was found mooching round the shops, similarly disgusted at not being able to say hello to everyone in the estate. You wouldn't think of doing that now and honestly in another 10-15 years I can see the same happening with cats. It's already the norm in lots of other countries.

Quoth

Visit site
I think it is doable if you're dedicated and are willing to except some hard limitations in terms of breed and the particular dog's temperament.

Picking a Velcro dog or something that was bred to be with its handler most of the time and then leaving it for 8hrs+ day after day could easily become a welfare issue.

If you are compressing your time with the dog down into shorter more intense bursts, you need to be careful that you meet all of the dogs needs in that time.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I wouldn't have a cat personally but don't have a problem with them going to the toilet in my garden (I imagine this is an unusual view), I suppose I see them as semi wild animals so the same as birds pooing in my garden. I'd rather they had some fresh air! As for being run over, it's a reason I wouldn't have a cat, I'd drive myself crazy with worry but it's quality of life over quantity.

Well when your dog eats cat shit and gets sick, you might have a different view about the whole cat toilet thing.

{97702}

Visit site
Well.... it’s all been said already ?

I’ve worked full time since I was 18 (32 years now, how depressing lol!) and I’ve always had dogs ?

Started off with two whippets which I had from puppies, but they both spent the day with my mum while I was at work until they were a decent age.

Got a lurcher pup when I was with my ex because he was a shift worker and I was 9-5, so the pup was never left for more than 3-4 hours. He still trashed the house!

Got my first rescue greyhound in 2002 and I’ve never looked back ? I counted up the other day that I’m now on my 14th Rescue dog since that date.

Personally - I’d always have 2 dogs so they have company. I used to leave mine all day but they do a lot better now I pay someone to let them out into my secure garden every lunchtime for a comfort break and a mooch around - at £5 a day it’s hardly expensive, and it means I know they are comfortable.

I would choose the breed with care - whilst I’m sure it works for people, I can’t imagine a breed like a springer or a collie being that happy with being left all day? Greyhounds and lurchers (and now a terrier!) have been great as they are so laid back

SusieT

Visit site
I think you need to go into it prepared to pay somoene to visit in middle of day, and then see it as a bonus if your dog doesnt need this. Settled, adult dogs will be quite happy walked in am, left to sleep in comfy beds then seeing owner again at 5- but if you have eg an hour travelling etc on end of work day this becomes quite long and its unrealistic - and especially when settling dog in.
Terriers or an older labrador might be a good idea a dobe is likely to be too high energy - two dogs also may be a good choice.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I think you need to go into it prepared to pay somoene to visit in middle of day, and then see it as a bonus if your dog doesnt need this. Settled, adult dogs will be quite happy walked in am, left to sleep in comfy beds then seeing owner again at 5- but if you have eg an hour travelling etc on end of work day this becomes quite long and its unrealistic - and especially when settling dog in.
Terriers or an older labrador might be a good idea a dobe is likely to be too high energy - two dogs also may be a good choice.

I am more than happy to pay someone to let them out for a wee, although if I have small dogs I have a Westie-size dogflap into a walled garden already in place which would be better; I just can't afford £25-30 a day for a full walk is more what I meant.

Agreed a Dobie wouldn't fit in with my life right now, I just love them. I think once I am back to normal with work and I am 100% sure my job is secure, I will contact a couple of rescues I have found for older dogs and see whether they have any that may fit.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
See I do get the have two and they will keep each other happier thing.
I just don't know how you go about acquiring two adults at the same time, it's sort of ok once you've got going :D.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
The way to deal with it is to have 2 compatible dogs that can keep each other company, ime.

I agree. I worked full time with my first dog (Whippet) but I had a two hour lunch break (worked late but husband was home earlier) when Ash was walked and interacted with - but he was a hound and they are sleepy heads when nothing much is happening ? In hindsight, I still feel guilty that he was left alone for hours and a partner (in crime) would’ve at least provided company.

honetpot

Visit site
I think all depends on the dog, our present one we got at 10 months, she was old in her ways from the start. She likes routine, and long as you take her out at the normal time, it could be just for 5 minutes she will settle. She has now got so economical with her time if she had had her way the time she was not a sleep and snoring would only be about an hour a day. Last thing at night I have to try and shove all 50kg of her out the door. She is only eight, half an hour in the field and she has had enough.
The collie X we had you could not leave for 15mins or there would be a hole chewed in something and she had profound seperation anxiety. I could also take her a seven mile hack at the trot and she would be ready to go again.
I would get two ex racing greyhounds, our local track is shuting and they are always looking for homes. Mad half hour twice a day and their own sofa, and they will be happy, or two older dogs. Better than being in kennels.

{97702}

Visit site
I would get two ex racing greyhounds, our local track is shuting and they are always looking for homes. Mad half hour twice a day and their own sofa, and they will be happy, or two older dogs. Better than being in kennels.

Sorry, I know I’m being picky, but no greyhound I’ve had would be content with two half hours - you do have to make sure you choose your hound with care! There absolutely is always one to fit your needs, and there ARE lots of them who would suit this much exercise.... but none of the ones I’ve had would have done, so it’s worth bearing in mind they aren’t all the same ?

Clodagh

Visit site
Sorry, I know I’m being picky, but no greyhound I’ve had would be content with two half hours - you do have to make sure you choose your hound with care! There absolutely is always one to fit your needs, and there ARE lots of them who would suit this much exercise.... but none of the ones I’ve had would have done, so it’s worth bearing in mind they aren’t all the same ?

I am genuinely completely amazed by that!
Partly because why in that case are they described as sofa dogs and also every dog I have ever owned has been happy with two thirty minute walks a day. It certainly revises my opinion of greyhounds.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I am more than happy to pay someone to let them out for a wee,
This is what a friend of ours does. She is at work all day and my husband goes round to her house at lunchtime, lets dog out for a wee, has a game of football with him then gives him his dinner and leaves. This has been his routine since a pup though until her older dog died last year there were two of them. Both collies so energetic dogs but they settled well into this routine. The only thing I don't like is that he is shut in the kitchen. If he was mine he would have the run of the house.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I think it depends on the dog and your set up.
I have done it but the dogs were never shut in a house, they always had a garden or kennel. I wouldn't leave a dog asleep all day and then expect it to sleep all evening and night as well. When I lived in Oz they were chained up. And they survived! (Wouldn't do that now, but it did no harm).
Think carefully on the breed and be realisitic about how much exercise/stimulation you can give it.
If you have another time consuming hobby, like horses, can you really manage both? Dogs are as much work as horses if you are fitting them around work. If your dog gets left home alone all day Saturday and Sunday while you are at the yard/riding is that fair on them?
So I have always been against it, but I have now mellowed, it is certainly better than a rescue kennel for nearly all dogs. It would be very hard with a pup though.

Just picking up on the last bit of your post. You told us about Bo, you know where he came from, shut in a pen all day. I know you would have never suggested us to re-home if you didn’t think we could make it work. Yes, he’s home all day (with Luna), but I hope we are giving him a good life which lots of these dogs shut in rescues don’t really get to see.