Dolly leaves this weekend.

justabob

Visit site
Well that's nice to hear for a change on here! Lol!! Thankyou Justabob! :)

As for Billie, I must be missing a trick, because I can't see what she did wrong to be banned?!!
I don't think she has been banned , she was just pee'd off. Hopefully anyway.

Nicnac

Visit site
WTF? Go out for the evening, log on to say good bye to Dolly (who will survive just fine - great big hulk of a girl) and find I'm too late as OP has left the building; Billie's gone AWOL and the rest of you are pished. Tut tut.

(any wine left?)

justabob

Visit site
WTF? Go out for the evening, log on to say good bye to Dolly (who will survive just fine - great big hulk of a girl) and find I'm too late as OP has left the building; Billie's gone AWOL and the rest of you are pished. Tut tut.

(any wine left?)

Yesh, *slops bottle over* help yersel.

Moomin1

Visit site

(any wine left?)

Hansh off my winnnnnnne!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Awfully young to wean, I never wean before six months, and preferably later

Good for you.

However as TB has weaned Dolly herself, the vet and stud have no issue - why have you?

Good luck Dolly. And wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone could be as caring an owner as Abbie?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Altough I do not agree with weaning at such a young age, Dolly looks big and strong and should be ok. Do wonder what the rush was though as she must have been under 4 months when weaned? However there are many worse things that happen to horses and at least shes had a good start and has a nice new home to go to which many youngsters these days dont have.
I wish her Luck in her new home, I have enjoyed watching her grow.

HBM1

Visit site
Okay, big debate weaning if you google it comes up with akll sorts she is leaving this saturday to go to her new home with horses her own age.

I have had to wean all of mine at 5 months. Mostly because as big warmblood foals they start to drag mum's condition down, but also because they are so independent by then and spending a lot of time with the rest of their herd. Just having a morning and evening suckle isn't a good enough reason to keep them plugging away at mum. None of them have been affected by it and all are happy and sane. None of mine have left me so young but that is because I like to keep them - though eventually have sold a couple. Dolly seems a very calm and laid back girl and that she isn't going far, and will be with other youngsters will be good for her. She has also had plenty of time to get used to mum not being there. For what it is worth, I think you have done a great job with her, especially considering she was so unexpected. I hope we do still hear about her and her day of leaving isn't too hard on you.

Moomin1

Visit site
Good for you.

However as TB has weaned Dolly herself, the vet and stud have no issue - why have you?

Good luck Dolly. And wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone could be as caring an owner as Abbie?

People are entitled to their own opinion. ;-)

GrumpyHero

Visit site
People are entitled to their own opinion. ;-)

Yes they are but not in a way which belittles Abbie and questions her actions as if she is doing something harmful to Dolly!
If I had gotten the same responses I would have felt quite attacked and avoided posting again.
As I've said previously, I've know foals weaned at 3 months under vets orders as they were growing too big too quickly! Dolly is a big girl, and if Tess had started pushing her away then it was semi-natural anyway.

It has nothing to do with any of you as to why Dolly has been weaned at the age she is. She is a lovely healthy foal and I do think some of you need to think before you post.

You are entitled to your own opinions but that does not mean you need to post them questioning Abbies actions and possibly upsetting her.

Good luck for Saturday Abbie, Dolly & TB! x

zigzag

Visit site
Good for you.

I stated my opinion, I was not rude, just said it was awfully young. I was surprised a stud would advise weaning at 4 months

Yes they are but not in a way which belittles Abbie and questions her actions as if she is doing something harmful to Dolly!
If I had gotten the same responses I would have felt quite attacked and avoided posting again.
As I've said previously, I've know foals weaned at 3 months under vets orders as they were growing too big too quickly! Dolly is a big girl, and if Tess had started pushing her away then it was semi-natural anyway.

It has nothing to do with any of you as to why Dolly has been weaned at the age she is. She is a lovely healthy foal and I do think some of you need to think before you post.

You are entitled to your own opinions but that does not mean you need to post them questioning Abbies actions and possibly upsetting her.

It is upsetting for a poster to have her actions questioned? It is a forum, people have opinions... What is the point of a forum if people can't disagree with a posters actions? I was not rude. If people don't want opinions on what they have done they shouldn't post about them

I am not the only poster who stated it was awfully young, so no idea why posts keep getting dragged up....

Moomin1

Visit site

I haven't even commented on Abbie, Dolly or TB.

And how on earth is stating when someone weans their own horses belittling Abbie? Ridiculous.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and while I would never dream of weaning at just over four months a well grown well handled cob foal is not going to come to much harm I think there's foals to worry a lot more about than this one .
But wants the point of a thread if not debate the things it raises we are not a forum where you post a give me a warm feeling thread and expect everyone who disagrees with what your doing to say nothing it's just not how it works here.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Jeeez you lot. Leave the poor kid alone!! She has taken advice and is doing what she believes to be best... after all she is the only one who really knows what goes on between Dolly and Tessy.

I imagine she will be very sad to see Dolly leave, there's no need for people to twist the knife.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have seen no one twisting the knife just saying they would not do it .
OP is not exactly a child she's 17 ( is that right) at 17 I had been out in the world paddling my own canoe for a year .

Ladyinred

Visit site
I have seen no one twisting the knife just saying they would not do it .
OP is not exactly a child she's 17 ( is that right) at 17 I had been out in the world paddling my own canoe for a year .

Well I suspected it would be a waste of breath asking people to be a little kinder to her.. never seems to happen any more on HHO.

And you may have been out in the world at 17, as was I, but not everyone is the same, thank goodness.

As for twisting the knife.. I imagine she has done a lot of soul-searching over this foal and it certainly isn't helping her by querying a decision that has already been made and acted on.

Moomin1

Visit site
Well I suspected it would be a waste of breath asking people to be a little kinder to her.. never seems to happen any more on HHO.

And you may have been out in the world at 17, as was I, but not everyone is the same, thank goodness.

As for twisting the knife.. I imagine she has done a lot of soul-searching over this foal and it certainly isn't helping her by querying a decision that has already been made and acted on.

Good grief anybody would think she had given birth to an unexpected baby. She has not. Her horse gave birth to a foal. Simple. It's not a life changing event.

Talk about mollycoddling.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Good grief anybody would think she had given birth to an unexpected baby. She has not. Her horse gave birth to a foal. Simple. It's not a life changing event.

Talk about mollycoddling.

I think for a 17 year old this unexpected foal has been totally life changing. ....

Moomin1

Visit site
I think for a 17 year old this unexpected foal has been totally life changing. ....

LIFECHANGING?!!! Really?!!

I really hope nothing more serious happens in her life if that is 'lifechanging'.

I personally class serious injury or unexpected death/severe illness lifechanging. Not the birth of a foal.