Dolly leaves this weekend.

Moomin1

Visit site
There are lots of people commenting on all the threads to each other as well as the OP .
An Op does not "own " a thread and threads have a life of their own so there's been a discussion about what people think about weaning .
That what makes HHO interesting anything esle would just be deadly dull.

Oh and I agree with this completely.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous threads going!

Everyone agrees Dolly is fine, and will be fine. Some people agree they feel it would be in her best interests to have left her a little longer, others don't. Some people seem to take this as being offensive to TB, which quite frankly is the only point I cannot get my head around on this entire thread.

TB is 17, not 7. She does not need mollycoddling (or dollycoddling as mentioned earlier). If she has been big enough and responsible enough to deal with an unexpected foal, then she is big and responsible enough to graciously accept other people's opinions on a public forum.

If she isn't, well unfortunately that isn't the fault of the other people on the forum, given that forums are designed for discussion.

HBM1

Visit site
If a mare is doing a foal to well you can simply restrict the grazing , works a treat you don't need to wean if the foal is doing to well.

Sorry but I wouldn't do that if my mare was already being pulled down, how would that help her if she had restricted grazing?

zigzag

Visit site
Well, simply put zigzag, the mare had stopped allowing Dolly to feed. That is called weaning.

The next step is up to the owner. The owner in this case identified that the mare no longer wished to feed her healthy, well grown foal. Sought the advice of her equine vet and a stud, and with their help was able to establish that it was now a good time to separate them.

I guess that about covers it.

Avoiding the question yet again :p I give up with you. And I have bred several foals , section B's and TB's foals need to be with there mum, their gut is not fully developed to eat hard feed till about 3 months old, they may seem to be eating but they aren't digesting, mares when the foal is around 4 months old will maybe limit what the foal suckles but do not stop them completely. The mare disciplines the foal and teaches it to be a horse. I never weaned before 6 months, the mare was fed to stop her losing condition, often with the TB's I weaned at 7/8 months. The result well adjusted foals who weren't upset about being weaned or mares who got upset or mastitis. People have to remember that this foal was actually weaned before 4 months ( she is 4 months and 2 days according to one post and had already been weaned a week) , yes she is a big strapping foal, but the mare looks healthy and wasn't being pulled down by her, If the OP says the foal was told off and not allowed to feed, was this happening all the time, I doubt she was there 24/7.

Yet AGAIN it seems that some posters can't do no wrong, yet if a person who had just joined and posted that they had weaned a foal before 4 months EVERYONE would be up in arms about it, but that's HHO for.

As I said on the original thread (about Dolly's birth), I supported Abbey and gave advice, but I do not agree with weaning so early unless the reason is necessary such as the mare was sick/died etc, I actually had a mare whom I lost when the foal was 4 1/2 months old, he was never like the other foals, he was always shy and picked on in the herd and didn't have much horse sense even though he was out with other foals, I firmly believe it's because he lost his mum so early

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
i think this is a disgrace the way op has been treated you should all be ashamed of your self. i have weaned at 4 months and now have a strapping 16h
1 3 yr old and he doent have any problems i would rather wean a bit earlier than later and i have bred many a foal and all went on to do very well. come to think of it how many of you have ever bred a foal let alone done the amazing job OP has done i will tell you bring up a foal aint easy so before you go shouting your mouths of try it and ask your vets and stud what they do. as already stated most big studs wean at 4 months and sell very expensive foals with no ill effects

So you weaned at four months because you prefer
All people are saying they would do differently .
If we have to set out our stall I head two brood mares at one time worked on a yard where they bred sport type horses and my best friend who was a vet at a stud part owned one of the mares with me .
At non of these places, two very professional where foals weaned until around six months .
My friend the vet was always very clear no less than six months the mare we shared .
Having a mare and foal is not at all difficult it is great great fun.

HBM1

Visit site
I wonder how many mothers send their two year old children off to boarding school, by the same analogy? For some reason, we seem to think in animals other than humans the mother-infant bond's only purpose is to provide food. Clearly non human animals do not need a mother for comfort, reassurance, teaching correct behaviour, guidance on what to eat and how to behave. That's just humans.

For what it's worth, I think this thread is useful. If everybody said "gosh well done", and nobody expressed the fact that many people disagree - and have good reason to do so - how would any 17 year old, or indeed any adult, ever change their views? If the discussion causes anybody who currently believes it's "normal and fine" to wean at 4 months, then it's been worth while. I am sure many early weaned foals are "just fine". On the other hand, how many "not just fine" foals, with behavioural problems and ulcers is it necessary to have for the practice to be questioned? One, two, fifty, two hundred? Or do we just accept that something we do for our own convenience is simply "mostly OK"?

So what then, about the mothers who send their children to a commercial nursery from just a month or so old?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't get wants going on here why is it ok for some posters to say they wean at four months say but not for others to say they do it at six .

Moomin1

Visit site
i was talking about why I have often weaned mine at 5 months - but also given the size of Dolly, why the advice given by vet and stud was to wean Dolly, she is huge!

Fair enough, if your mares have been pulled down then that makes sense.

But as Goldenstar points out, this mare isn't/hasn't been, and being her first foal (as much as is known) may well not have been.

Don't get me wrong, I am not expressing my opinion on either side here - I will keep that to myself on this subject. I am merely looking from an outside perspective (one which hasn't followed any of TB's threads whatsoever) and what I see on this thread is people who are politely putting across their opinions that it is too early, being met with people who do not believe that, getting a little too uptight and defensive and not discussion the issue quite as sensibly.

Purple18

Visit site
There are lots of people commenting on all the threads to each other as well as the OP .
An Op does not "own " a thread and threads have a life of their own so there's been a discussion about what people think about weaning .
That what makes HHO interesting anything esle would just be deadly dull.

Oh and I agree with this completely.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous threads going!

Everyone agrees Dolly is fine, and will be fine. Some people agree they feel it would be in her best interests to have left her a little longer, others don't. Some people seem to take this as being offensive to TB, which quite frankly is the only point I cannot get my head around on this entire thread.

TB is 17, not 7. She does not need mollycoddling (or dollycoddling as mentioned earlier). If she has been big enough and responsible enough to deal with an unexpected foal, then she is big and responsible enough to graciously accept other people's opinions on a public forum.

If she isn't, well unfortunately that isn't the fault of the other people on the forum, given that forums are designed for discussion.

If you want to discussion on the ins and outs a weaning early or waiting why not create a thread where you can all talk at length if you want to.

But this thread is about dolly and allowing people to say goodbye in there own way it must be hard enough for abbie letting Dolly go. without all of this.

Dolly is fine and will be fine so i'm asking can we leave it at that now..

I wish dolly a safe journey to her new home I can't wait to see updates on the facebook page :)

Moomin1

Visit site
If you want to discussion on the ins and outs a weaning early or waiting why not create a thread where you can all talk at length if you want to.

But this thread is about dolly and allowing people to say goodbye in there own way it must be hard enough for abbie letting Dolly go. without all of this.

Oh for goodness sake. For a start TB isn't even on here reading any of this, so it is not (without sounding rude) down to whether or not it upsets her (not that I can possibly see how it may upset her, if she is 100% sure that she is doing what is best for Dolly). Secondly, I'm afraid that's how forum's work. If people don't accept other people's views then maybe forums are not the place for them.

Goldenstar

Visit site

I don't want or need to start a thread this is a thread as I said threads have a life of their own .
You don't invite people to a party and expect to control what's discussed that just what happens.
All people have said is that's not want we do.
And some people have said that is what we do ( I assume you allow that) it only having a dissenting view that's not allowed.

justabob

Visit site
I do not think anyone has been unkind to Abbie, not one bit. Take her out of the discussion please, all that has been debated is other peoples opinion on weaning. Discussing is interesting and reading other peoples ideas are informative. This is what the forum is all about. Did a rather sensible person mention GIN.

TheTrotter.

Visit site
Oh for goodness sake. For a start TB isn't even on here reading any of this, so it is not (without sounding rude) down to whether or not it upsets her (not that I can possibly see how it may upset her, if she is 100% sure that she is doing what is best for Dolly). Secondly, I'm afraid that's how forum's work. If people don't accept other people's views then maybe forums are not the place for them.

Actually, I think you'll find she is reading this. She has written this on facebook, thought I would share it to those of you who are saying "TB isn't reading this, so it doesn't matter if it upsets her." and basically twisting the knife in deeper to a teenage girl who is probably upset about having to sell her foal.

"Just wanted to say thanks to everyone sticking up for our decision on HHO, I am not logging on because i have seen the ugly side of the forum yes a lot of the comments have got to me but i will get jumped on if i attempt to explain Dolly is a big strong, independant girl. Tess started pushing her away, she would bite Doll's legs when she went to feed and turn her bum on her. Dolly won't sink or vanish or turn into an 11hh skinny coat rack because she is weaned a month early and i am going to listen to the studs and Vets advice as they have seen this big girl in the flesh. Only 2 more sleeps till Dolly is off, i have got a job interview that day so wont be here ( last minute thing) there are no jobs round here and i couldn't turn it down. I am already upset at the thought of Dolly leaving but she couldn't go to a better home, i am not going to look at the thread on HHO anymore as its depressing.
"

Moomin1

Visit site
Actually, I think you'll find she is reading this. She has written this on facebook, thought I would share it to those of you who are saying "TB isn't reading this, so it doesn't matter if it upsets her." and basically twisting the knife in deeper to a teenage girl who is probably upset about having to sell her foal.

"Just wanted to say thanks to everyone sticking up for our decision on HHO, I am not logging on because i have seen the ugly side of the forum yes a lot of the comments have got to me but i will get jumped on if i attempt to explain Dolly is a big strong, independant girl. Tess started pushing her away, she would bite Doll's legs when she went to feed and turn her bum on her. Dolly won't sink or vanish or turn into an 11hh skinny coat rack because she is weaned a month early and i am going to listen to the studs and Vets advice as they have seen this big girl in the flesh. Only 2 more sleeps till Dolly is off, i have got a job interview that day so wont be here ( last minute thing) there are no jobs round here and i couldn't turn it down. I am already upset at the thought of Dolly leaving but she couldn't go to a better home, i am not going to look at the thread on HHO anymore as its depressing.
"

Well then I'm afraid TB is obviously extremely over sensitive, because NOBODY (how many times does anybody need to repeat this) has said anything negative or personal about TB.

And if I am brutally honest, even if they had, then I'm sorry, but like I say, forums are what they are, and if they don't do people any good, well it's their choice whether to read or not.

Goldenstar

Visit site
That's sad about her job interview.
But nothing ugly is going on here we are having a discussion about weaning that's all it's not personal in any way.

FionaM12

Visit site
this thread is about dolly and allowing people to say goodbye in there own way

Isn't it a little melodramatic to claim the purpose of this thread is "allowing people to say goodbye in their own way"? :rolleyes3:

I enjoyed the BOGOF foal story, and will continue to follow it on Facebook if the new owner keeps that up. However, I'm not in mourning that Dolly is changing hands, I'd never even met her! :)

It will be very hard for Abbie to part as she's obviously very attached to Dolly. However I don't think HHO members need a thread on which to express our own grief! :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
Isn't it a little melodramatic to claim the purpose of this thread is "allowing people to say goodbye in their own way"? :rolleyes3:

I enjoyed the BOGOF foal story, and will continue to follow it on Facebook if the new owner keeps that up. However, I'm not in mourning that Dolly is changing hands, I'd never even met her! :D

It will be very hard for Abbie to part as she's obviously very attached to Dolly. However I don't think HHO members need a thread on which to express our own grief! :D

Quite.

Purple18

Visit site
All the comments have been read actually.. the is decision for dolly. you have opinions but I don't believe it's right to keep banging on about it
I don't want or need to start a thread this is a thread as I said threads have a life of their own .
You don't invite people to a party and expect to control what's discussed that just what happens.
All people have said is that's not want we do.
And some people have said that is what we do ( I assume you allow that) it only having a dissenting view that's not allowed.
yes this thread is and dolly going to her new home maybe you don't agree in that but that's it now.
I do not think anyone has been unkind to Abbie, not one bit. Take her out of the discussion please, all that has been debated is other peoples opinion on weaning. Discussing is interesting and reading other peoples ideas are informative. This is what the forum is all about. Did a rather sensible person mention GIN.

if you want her out of the discussion it might be a idea to go discussion it out of this thread as this thread is about abbie after all.

yes the forum is to be used to discuss but not make users feel that they are doing wrong which is what a lot of people have made abbie feel whether invented or not .

Moomin1

Visit site

I enjoyed the BOGOF foal story, and will continue to follow it on Facebook if the new owner keeps that up. However, I'm not in mourning that Dolly is changing hands, I'd never even met her! :D

Well apparently it is Fiona - it's a 'lifechanging' experience which clearly, going by many posters here think is going to traumatise TB for life at the parting of Dolly.

Yes, of course everyone takes things differently, but that does not for one minute mean we should blow things well out of proportion. People (including my OH) have lost children for goodness sake. That is lifechanging. He was only 21.

FionaM12

Visit site
I have to say I don't think it's right to repost something from Abbie's Facebook page. If she's decided to not post here that should surely be respected, and people shouldn't cut and paste her words for Facebook to here?

Not good IMO, TheTrotter.

Purple18

Visit site

I enjoyed the BOGOF foal story, and will continue to follow it on Facebook if the new owner keeps that up. However, I'm not in mourning that Dolly is changing hands, I'd never even met her! :)

It will be very hard for Abbie to part as she's obviously very attached to Dolly. However I don't think HHO members need a thread on which to express our own grief! :D[/QUOTE/]

what is with everyone tonight I put that as I couldn't think of any other way to word it.
if you'd prefer so that people can wish dolly good luck in her new home ?

I very nearly given up as your all just getting rather lost in the moment..

Last edited: