Dunne v Frost

ihatework

Visit site

I think he’s got it right on balance.

For instance - Robbies ‘ride you into the wings’ threat. It was wrong 100%. But, in the heat of the moment with sky high adrenaline and anger I can understand how he might have said it.
Had he calmed down and reflected, gone to BF and admitted he was out of line and apologised, I bet he wouldn’t find himself where he is today.

ETA - the fact he couldn’t see at the time how utterly out of line he was, means he totally deserves the book throwing at him. No sympathy from me. I can’t abide people who don’t admit responsibility for their actions.

minesadouble

Visit site
What happens if the issue is with a senior jockey?

Everyone agrees just to forget about dangerous situations instead of reporting them?

And yet yesterday one valet tweeted that a trainer who dared to complain about them was lucky to get all her tack back.

Families are often extremely toxic and its not until an outsider points it out or you remove yourself from the family that you realise how dysfunctional it was.

I'm not saying that your experiences aren't absolutely how it was for you, but it clearly wasn't that way for Bryony.

Just to clarify that was a post on my FB feed this morning, that I was quoting I've never ridden in a race in my life ?

Kadastorm

Visit site
Lots of very angry people on twitter throughout todays itv racing fixture regarding this case. The guy from the PJA was awful, Mick Fitzgerald fobbing off Francesca’s question about why the jockeys didn’t stand up for Bryony. But the chief executive of the BHA came across quite well.

I really hope BF has good support around her, she has done a great job for women in sport and I really admire her for standing up and speaking out. She is a role model for the future jockeys.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think he’s got it right on balance.

For instance - Robbies ‘ride you into the wings’ threat. It was wrong 100%. But, in the heat of the moment with sky high adrenaline and anger I can understand how he might have said it.
Had he calmed down and reflected, gone to BF and admitted he was out of line and apologised, I bet he wouldn’t find himself where he is today.

ETA - the fact he couldn’t see at the time how utterly out of line he was, means he totally deserves the book throwing at him. No sympathy from me. I can’t abide people who don’t admit responsibility for their actions.

If it wasn't so serious, I'd be amused that RD and all those that spoke for him can't see that they confirmed to the inquiry absolutely everything that had been said about them, by their attitude, their tone and (post inquiry), by all the twaddle that they are writing about it.

Velcrobum

Visit site
All these jockeys need to stop digging the hole Dunne created and they have joined him in.

I am bumping this comment
A quote from the chair of the independent panel a damming observation!!

"In the course of the days of this hearing you have adopted an aggressive attack on her personality in order to seek to justify your actions"

IMHO speaks volumes about his personality and his vindictiveness.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I think the presenters attitude has changed a bit today after the verdict. Especially the ex jockeys.
Really. I have to say it wasn’t noticeable. Francesca Cumani tried to challenge them but didn’t get very far when she asked why no support for bryony. Mick Fitzgerald just said ‘you’d have to ask them ‘ meaning the other jockeys. And he’s aboard member of the PJA the association that’s supposed to support Dunne AND Frost.
Grrrrrrrrrr??

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i didnt interpret it like you did, she asked about why other jockeys not supporting bryony and he couldnt speak for them as he is not in the weighing room , he has supported bryony on air and is always full of praise for her so i think you are on the wrong tack with going after MF

tristar

Visit site
People who have quietly put up with a system that harbours bullies often find it hard to accept someone who stands up and says no that’s it I am not bantering,appeasing or ignoring my way through this .
That’s because inside they feel bad.

most people would not have the guts to say enough is enough and carry it through to a result

an exceptional young woman in more than one way

minesadouble

Visit site
Yeah, we have already seen that.

BUT clearly you thought it was worth posting on here. As ycbm has pointed out there's more holes in it than a colander.

I posted it for the sake of balance to demonstrate Bryony Frost's story does not reflect the experience of all female jockeys, in fact quite the contrary.

minesadouble

Visit site
i have just seen the name, who on earth is she? i follow racing on the tv and have never heard of her. how much of a threat to the boys is she, and as she is married to one of them the men will watch how they talk to her. she is not worth listening to and i prefer the truth as per jo davis and bryony...

There are many many jockeys who rarely ride in your Saturday TV racesl, it doesn't make their opinion of weigh room culture any less valuable.
How dare you say 'she's not worth listening too' that is an absolutely outrageous statement and says a lot about you as a person! She is just as entitled to opinion as you and she actually has first hand experience of the weighing room unlike yourself.

honetpot

Visit site
I posted it for the sake of balance to demonstrate Bryony Frost's story does not reflect the experience of all female jockeys, in fact quite the contrary.
I think you are missing the point, she was targeted. A long time ago I was bullied at work, not as badly as this, the art of bullying is picking on one person, so other people who should defend them feel safe, while they are having ago at the target. He was a senior jockey and looks like he has some influence, so it is easier to side with him, than call it out.
I can not see any justification for exposing yourself, or calling someone sexually offensive names, which he admitted he did, that's not banter.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I've sat in a court and watched a video of a wife try and grind her husband's face onto a wine glass and then seen him in person cry and beg the court to let her home for Christmas. I've sat in a court and watched a young woman with black eyes from a thumping, with streams of mascara running down her face, as she begged us to let her boyfriend back home because it was all her own fault.

The tweet you posted likened racing to a family. Yes, and it sounds like, for many of the members, it's an abusive family, where some of the participants don't realise that they are being abused until they are removed from the situation.

There's a blog post from a female trainer above which explains it perfectly from a first hand point of view.

Old school

Visit site
Mmm, here is my take on it after reading a fair bit on the topic.

I think that he had the hots for her at some point. She didn't reciprocate and his ego could not take rejection. Normally two people could avoid each other after this point. But no, their work environment required them to be in a state of undress in the same room. Maybe she cracked a joke with some other jock, got on ok with them. Mr. Bruised Ego could not hack it and decided to constantly have a go at her. The race riding incident was an aside that could conveniently be dragged into it..... Any thoughts??? Am I for the birds?

As any good Dub would say, he is a 'bleedin gobshite'.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, he is guilty, yes his behaviour was terrible and yes, Bryony was brave to speak out.

But I think the sentence is too harsh, he has lost his job, his livelihood. He should have had a ban for a while, a big fine and then a "suspended sentence" to watch his conduct in future.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes, he is guilty, yes his behaviour was terrible and yes, Bryony was brave to speak out.

But I think the sentence is too harsh, he has lost his job, his livelihood. He should have had a ban for a while, a big fine and then a "suspended sentence" to watch his conduct in future.

I suspect that the sentence was as much to do with his attitude in court and his "she was a cow and deserved it" and "don't point the finger at me everyone does it" defence.

Parrotperson

Visit site
i didnt interpret it like you did, she asked about why other jockeys not supporting bryony and he couldnt speak for them as he is not in the weighing room , he has supported bryony on air and is always full of praise for her so i think you are on the wrong tack with going after MF
I shall beg respectful to differ.
He’s in the board of the PJA who have consistently backed dunne and not bryony. He had input to their stance. He does orsise get yes but crucially he’s not backing her in the way that’s needed.

Clodagh

Visit site

I agree with Parrot, he had an opinion of everything said until she asked him that when he suddenly didn’t know.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Mmm, here is my take on it after reading a fair bit on the topic.

I think that he had the hots for her at some point. She didn't reciprocate and his ego could not take rejection. Normally two people could avoid each other after this point. But no, their work environment required them to be in a state of undress in the same room. Maybe she cracked a joke with some other jock, got on ok with them. Mr. Bruised Ego could not hack it and decided to constantly have a go at her. The race riding incident was an aside that could conveniently be dragged into it..... Any thoughts??? Am I for the birds?

As any good Dub would say, he is a 'bleedin gobshite'.

I don't know where to start with this tbh.

Really?

His "bruised ego" had to be because she rejected his advances and cracked a joke with "some other jock" (male obviously) not because she's a sucessful jockey with better results and rides.

Jesus wept as we might say here in Clare ?

Old school

Visit site

Really?

His "bruised ego" had to be because she rejected his advances and cracked a joke with "some other jock" (male obviously) not because she's a sucessful jockey with better results and rides.

No way do I believe he was triggered into his despicable behaviour because she is a better jock. Nope, he is fairly second rung at best. He would be bullying a lot of folks if he was put out by those who are better than him.

stangs

Visit site

Really?

I don't want to speculate, but I do think that it's worth noting that there was a distinctly sexual undertone to a lot of what he said/did. You could argue that that's just misogyny, but you could argue equally well that it was to do with possibly having been rejected by her.

Reactions: jnb

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Those poor male jockeys are all terribly upset at having their culture called 'rancid'. :( What a terrible insult.

Whereas calling someone a f****** sl**, a f****** w**** and a c*** - that's just banter!

The male jockeys and in particular the PJA seem to be in an echo chamber with voices from the 1950s still reverberating.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I suspect that the sentence was as much to do with his attitude in court and his "she was a cow and deserved it" and "don't point the finger at me everyone does it" defence.

This 100 percent - he hung himself and even bought his own rope to do it. I have no sympathy for him at all.

He believed his own arrogance and untouchable popularity would carry him through, well he was wrong wasn't he, and thank God and justice for that!

Steerpike

Visit site

He has lost his race riding, he can still ride out at trainers so I dispute that he's lost his job.