dying pony on dartmoor

katiesdolphin

Visit site
Well all you who are saying the owner should be checking on the horses more and it was neglect, hope your walking the moors now checking them because if that's the case your neglecting them yourselves saying they're suffering and should be reported to cruelty! No? Didn't think so! Insted your sat on your backsides typing about a person who apparently neglects her ponies when there's only a disscusion about 1 pony when there's hundereds there in good health!!

paddy555

Visit site
Given that these animals are herded down and some then kept on farms for the winter where they are presumably fed? It is certainly easy to think along the lines that this mare knew where home was to take her foal back there, she therefore had presumably spent sufficient time there in the past to know it as 'home' and I struggle to see that as the actions of a 'wild' pony.

the majority are not kept on farms for the winter they go back onto the common.
I very much struggle with putting human emotions on a semi feral mare. This is a very nice, sweet Daily Mail story. No doubt it will bring publicity for the hill ponies at a time when the foals will need homes. It is very very sweet but in reality what is more likely to have happened is that the mare was old, weaker than the rest of the herd and did not go up onto the higher slopes but stayed on the more sheltered lower slopes. That is where the farms are in that particular area. The ponies are scavangers, they wander around the roads as well as the commons. In winter they scavange whatever the farmers put out for either the ponies or the cattle. The most likely scenario is that she was wandering near a farm, someone noticed she looked very bad and took her in. That happens, it is not unusual or at least not until the Daily Mail gets hold of it.

rhino

Visit site
Well all you who are saying the owner should be checking on the horses more and it was neglect, hope your walking the moors now checking them because if that's the case your neglecting them yourselves saying they're suffering and should be reported to cruelty! No? Didn't think so! Insted your sat on your backsides typing about a person who apparently neglects her ponies when there's only a disscusion about 1 pony when there's hundereds there in good health!!

What? The ponies don't belong to anyone on here, and it is the OWNER of a horse or pony who is ultimately responsible for their welfare. What a strange post :confused:

mulledwhine

Visit site
If they were mine ... Yes I would be checking at least twice a week.

If you want them, check them!!

Getting cross now :(

I accept you cannot be in top all the time, but to say that the owners have too many to check , frankly does not wash :(

Queenbee

Visit site

No Im not, but then Im not their OWNER am I? I am however fulfilling my responsibility as an owner to my horse. I fail to see how someone who does not own the ponies is equally responsible for their welfare, but concerned, yes I am, and were they my ponies and my responsibility I would be taking that seriously. I am not talking about 1 person neglecting her ponies, I am talking about the mentality (or lack of it) of such people, who own ponies who run on the moors and do not take steps to ensure their welfare. I do not dispute the fact that there are many healthy ponies up there, but that it would appear is in spite of not because of the owners they are unfortunate enough to have!

katiesdolphin

Visit site
If I drove past or hurd of any animal in anystate I thought was wrong I wouldn't sit discussing it saying what should be done but ill not do anything because I don't own it, I'd be doing everything in my physical power to help the animal! That's what I'm saying!

Queenbee

Visit site
If I drove past or hurd of any animal in anystate I thought was wrong I wouldn't sit discussing it saying what should be done but ill not do anything because I don't own it, I'd be doing everything in my physical power to help the animal! That's what I'm saying!

do you actively get in your car and drive around the moors looking for animals that belong to other people to check if you can see any poorly ones? This is quite different from happening upon an ill, injured or neglected horse or pony and then acting accordingly.

paddy555

Visit site
do you actively get in your car and drive around the moors looking for animals that belong to other people to check if you can see any poorly ones? This is quite different from happening upon an ill, injured or neglected horse or pony and then acting accordingly.

QB, hope you don't mind me asking but do you realise that for the most part you cannot drive around the moor looking for ponies, whoever they belong to. The reason is that most areas cannot be seen, even with binoculars from the road. On some areas of the common it is not possible to take a riding horse (and many of the pony owners don't ride) The reason for this is that there are massive rocks, deep bogs and mine shafts with deep gullies left over from the mining days. For that reason as well it is not possible to take quad bikes everywhere.
The semi feral mares know all the tracks around the through the bogs. They also know there way through the heavily rocky, hilly and wooded areas. The extensive areas of bracken are higher than the ponies in many areas. Similarly the gorse. You can ride along through the bracken and not even see the ponies until you are on top of them, they are so well hidden. The gates which separate the commons get left open, often by walkers and the ponies also get over fences.

Whilst your sentiments about caring for the ponies are admirable I hope you will see they are just impossible in many areas.

happyhacking:)

Visit site
So mulled wine you would be out there full time to find your horses and be checking on them would you? And how would you support yourself ( and your horses ) whilst doing that? And still nobody has answered my question about what you would do if you did find an ill or injured horse up on the moors miles from the nearest road with no mobile phone signal. Shoot it yourself? Or go back for help and then return go find said pony has fled the seen.

Queenbee

Visit site
QB, hope you don't mind me asking but do you realise that for the most part you cannot drive around the moor looking for ponies, whoever they belong to. The reason is that most areas cannot be seen, even with binoculars from the road. On some areas of the common it is not possible to take a riding horse (and many of the pony owners don't ride) The reason for this is that there are massive rocks, deep bogs and mine shafts with deep gullies left over from the mining days. For that reason as well it is not possible to take quad bikes everywhere.
The semi feral mares know all the tracks around the through the bogs. They also know there way through the heavily rocky, hilly and wooded areas. The extensive areas of bracken are higher than the ponies in many areas. Similarly the gorse. You can ride along through the bracken and not even see the ponies until you are on top of them, they are so well hidden. The gates which separate the commons get left open, often by walkers and the ponies also get over fences.

Whilst your sentiments about caring for the ponies are admirable I hope you will see they are just impossible in many areas.

No, really:eek::eek::eek::eek: Well, I am shocked, I really didn't realise that:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: that obviously changes everything:rolleyes::rolleyes:

my dear, it was merely a turn of phrase used when replying to katiesdolphin ludicrous suggestion that I should go and check on someone elses ponies.

paddy555

Visit site
And still nobody has answered my question about what you would do if you did find an ill or injured horse up on the moors miles from the nearest road with no mobile phone signal. Shoot it yourself? Or go back for help and then return go find said pony has fled the seen.

HH I can answer your question!!! Shoot it? no there's a problem there, I don't carry a firearm and I haven't got a licence. Go back for help? yeah I've done that many times and what has happened? The B------Y thing has run off. :D

Queenbee

Visit site
HH I can answer your question!!! Shoot it? no there's a problem there, I don't carry a firearm and I haven't got a licence. :D

Perhaps then that is something you need to address if you know that not having a firearm causes you to allow sick/injured animals to get away from you and therefore continue suffering?

paddy555

Visit site
Perhaps then that is something you need to address if you know that not having a firearm causes you to allow sick/injured animals to get away from you and therefore continue suffering?

certainly does need to be addressed and I shall attend to it first thing Monday.
Wonder what sort would be easiest to carry on a horse and would it fit into my saddlebag? should this be compulsory for all horse owners or just those riding out on common land? Oh, and I'll need to train my horses to gunfire as well. :eek:

Alec Swan

Visit site

.. I also don't see the relevance of red deer either I'm afraid.. they have certainly had less negative breeding selection from humans than the dartmoor hill pony and therefore should be better evolved for their environmental niche.

....... :p

I haven't actually read the previous comments, comparing Red Deer with feral ponies (perhaps I should have done!), but the deer certainly have benefited from being hunted, in that the aged and the infirm are culled, whereas with ponies, our emotions are such that we tend to view them as pets, I suspect, and that may deal them out a rather poor level of service.

In the mid 70s I occasionally used to go into the hills of Wales and shoot the aged and infirm ponies, those that were unlikely to survive the winter. I wonder if anyone provides such a service today. I remember clearly that there were the odd elderly and desperately poor and in-foal mares who were saved the ordeal of another hard winter, whilst trying to feed an unborn foal. I suspect that the mare in question may well have struggled through the last winter, and perhaps she was missed. The poor creature.

Alec.

Queenbee

Visit site
certainly does need to be addressed and I shall attend to it first thing Monday.
Wonder what sort would be easiest to carry on a horse and would it fit into my saddlebag? should this be compulsory for all horse owners or just those riding out on common land? Oh, and I'll need to train my horses to gunfire as well. :eek:

Its really not that hard to do, or do you think... well theres another obstacle... sod getting around it Ill just stand and look at it? Oh and as for carrying a gun...FYI

http://outfitterssupply.blogspot.co.uk/2006/09/attaching-rifle-scabbard-bow-scabbard.html

And as for what should and shouldn't be compulsory... you yourself said that the moorlands are so remote they require special dispensation... I know that wherever I currently go with my horse a vet could get to me easily to do the job for my horse if needed, YOU dont.

Queenbee

Visit site
I haven't actually read the previous comments, comparing Red Deer with feral ponies (perhaps I should have done!), but the deer certainly have benefited from being hunted, in that the aged and the infirm are culled, whereas with ponies, our emotions are such that we tend to view them as pets, I suspect, and that may deal them out a rather poor level of service.

In the mid 70s I occasionally used to go into the hills of Wales and shoot the aged and infirm ponies, those that were unlikely to survive the winter. I wonder if anyone provides such a service today. I remember clearly that there were the odd elderly and desperately poor and in-foal mares who were saved the ordeal of another hard winter, whilst trying to feed an unborn foal. I suspect that the mare in question may well have struggled through the last winter, and perhaps she was missed. The poor creature.

Alec.

Sadly not Alec... I fear they don't know how to use guns by the sound of it and learning would be too 'difficult' :(

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I've read the whole thread, and am not getting personally involved - but will say that I've lived on the moor, or within sight of it, all my life, I run a business (feed merchants) in the middle of the moor, know a lot of the various dartmoor people involved in various dartmoor pony charities and societies. I've been on drifts (on foot) and I've helped at market, with herding sold ponies through for microchipping (I think someone asked about this? They are run through a crush - as a **** encrusted farmer with bruised and battered shins said to me, 'living the dream'!

It isn't possible to check the ponies on a daily basis when they're on the commons, but owners have a duty of care - that's a fact.

Even when ponies are weaned and off the commons, into fields, they are not necessarily checked regularly. A group of weanlings were moved into rough pasture, on the generosity of a farmer who was happy to have the land eaten down. They weren't checked at all - farmer had understandably thought the owner, a charity, would check them - and two were bogged, I seem to remember that one drowned and one starved to death.

Sales report from Chagford dated 1st September 2012 - 30 Halter broken and Riding Ponies
A surprising trade with more buyers present than expected and topping at £220 for a grey mare
from E P S Bulled of south Molton. The same vendor also selling Fillies to £150. One year old
gelding from C Caygill of Bridford sold at £200. One year old from Mr J Irish of Chagford £100 -
£160
A magnificent sale day in Chagford with both vendors and purchasers ending the day on a high,
Rendells would like to thank vendors, buyers and onlookers for their support. The next sale at
Chagford Market will be on 1st October, 2012. This is a Store Cattle Fair followed by a Pony Sale
on 11th October.

Queenbee

Visit site
I've read the whole thread, and am not getting personally involved - but will say that I've lived on the moor, or within sight of it, all my life, I run a business (feed merchants) in the middle of the moor, know a lot of the various dartmoor people involved in various dartmoor pony charities and societies. I've been on drifts (on foot) and I've helped at market, with herding sold ponies through for microchipping (I think someone asked about this? They are run through a crush - as a **** encrusted farmer with bruised and battered shins said to me, 'living the dream'!

It isn't possible to check the ponies on a daily basis when they're on the commons, but owners have a duty of care - that's a fact.

Even when ponies are weaned and off the commons, into fields, they are not necessarily checked regularly. A group of weanlings were moved into rough pasture, on the generosity of a farmer who was happy to have the land eaten down. They weren't checked at all - farmer had understandably thought the owner, a charity, would check them - and two were bogged, I seem to remember that one drowned and one starved to death.

Sales report from Chagford dated 1st September 2012 - 30 Halter broken and Riding Ponies
A surprising trade with more buyers present than expected and topping at £220 for a grey mare
from E P S Bulled of south Molton. The same vendor also selling Fillies to £150. One year old
gelding from C Caygill of Bridford sold at £200. One year old from Mr J Irish of Chagford £100 -
£160
A magnificent sale day in Chagford with both vendors and purchasers ending the day on a high,
Rendells would like to thank vendors, buyers and onlookers for their support. The next sale at
Chagford Market will be on 1st October, 2012. This is a Store Cattle Fair followed by a Pony Sale
on 11th October.

very interesting reading STR thank you

Queenbee

Visit site
I'm a bit confused... Whilst its clear to me that those prices are higher than I've seen at other sales currently, it's also clear to me that there is another sale advertised