Eek, I’m OMG and excited!!

Annagain

Visit site
I’ve known Millie since the day she was born so although I’m a bit ? ‘another brown mare called Millie’, Millie she is!

I felt the same about Charlie's name to start as I know so many Charlies but it's so him, I couldn't change it. I desperately want to change his registered name (it's terrible at the moment) to Charlie Big Potatoes but I worry some people might not understand the reference and think it's rude!

ihatework

Visit site
I felt the same about Charlie's name to start as I know so many Charlies but it's so him, I couldn't change it. I desperately want to change his registered name (it's terrible at the moment) to Charlie Big Potatoes but I worry some people might not understand the reference and think it's rude!

Go on - give us a laugh, what is his registered name?

Millie is Millazante, which I think is really nice and gives credit to her mum

Turnip is Lavandula as the breeder gives them all Latin plant names. It’s fine, no strong feelings either way. Probably not what I’d have chosen if I had a say but equally easy enough to run with

Annagain

Visit site
When the seller handed over his passport, she warned me about his name and I thought "It can't be that bad." I was right. It's worse!

ihatework

Visit site
So a little update on IHW does pony patting.

Which has actually been IHW does pony squashing ?

Well not Turnip, she has been a good girl.

Millie however has needed putting under the thumb pretty quick, although I kind of expected this would be needed to be done. But I’m pleased that she took her bollockings with good humour and has since been coming on a treat with a more gentle approach too (now she understands rearing, boxing and cow kicking is not allowed!).

I caught them having a rather fun hoon the other day and boy can Millie gallop, she left everyone else for dust!

570A96FB-A457-4AEF-A904-A26B5DE5E992.jpegD0FB49BC-6033-4945-8537-7740C0333F41.jpeg0F82BE26-5695-479E-89DD-3C47B068913B.jpeg

ihatework

Visit site
Pony patting instalment for the month!

Weaning is done and M & T are now in charge and glad to see the back of the bossy broodmares. I say M & T are in charge but really it’s just Turnip. It appears her destiny is alpha mare .... well for now at any rate until we find someone older to squish her ?

Turnip has had a hurty foot but has been pretty obliging about me digging it out and poulticing in the field, so thats been helpful. She is also a bit of a porker!!

Millie on the other hand has had a massive growth spurt, went quite skinny but is now filling back out. She really is going to be one where you have to shut your eyes as she grows up. Ironically she is about the same height as my 4yo ? at around 15.3/16hh already. She will be a tall girl when she’s done. But after her initial naughty start is now completely delightful and has really adopted me as her human. I’m already starting the process of stallion shopping for her, 18 months will go quite quickly!!

DF54692D-8EB8-4BB1-8860-C6820D78E388.jpegAD88962F-5D4F-43CF-B850-DC0CCF7A42E7.jpeg

ihatework

Visit site
Well the girls have been here over 6 months now and I love them both, but they are completely different.

Millie has completely stolen my heart, she is totally ‘mine’ and she might be the one that tempts me back into the saddle. She had a HUGE grow in the autumn and quite frankly looked like a fugly skinny yak. She has started to level off and fill out a bit now, but she is going to be big, she must be at least 16.1hh at rising 2yo.

B9205DC9-53FE-4615-9249-30F047AF0A23.jpeg

Turnip is more traditionally beautiful.
She has grown steadily and must be around 15.2hh now rising 2. Alas I think she is born to be a fatty, she has wintered out rugless a little too well ? Very much the boss of the herd of 6 babies too!!

51A33EF3-C2FD-489E-8A5D-C266B3DE6FC8.jpeg

Annoyingly we have had a real problem with one of her feet. She had pus that under ran and came out of her coronet. As it grew down a rather horrid crack started and the foot was looking like it would destabilise:

7D50D4F6-4737-4090-9464-1DD7D7EC26F0.jpeg

So my lovely farrier put some acrylic cast on. Which stayed in place brilliantly, but 16 weeks later and the coronet hasn’t quite knitted together well enough ?

A8035A3F-8060-4185-920C-D083A04A3EA1.jpeg

So today she had a plate screwed on and another acrylic cast over the top. ??? this does the job

20D1D50D-BAB9-48E4-B956-8B780CC7187D.jpeg

Got a good 18 months to get the hoof good but boy, how annoying

Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
Well the girls have been here over 6 months now and I love them both, but they are completely different.

Millie has completely stolen my heart, she is totally ‘mine’ and she might be the one that tempts me back into the saddle. She had a HUGE grow in the autumn and quite frankly looked like a fugly skinny yak. She has started to level off and fill out a bit now, but she is going to be big, she must be at least 16.1hh at rising 2yo.

View attachment 68500

Turnip is more traditionally beautiful.
She has grown steadily and must be around 15.2hh now rising 5. Alas I think she is born to be a fatty, she has wintered out rugless a little too well ? Very much the boss of the herd of 6 babies too!!

View attachment 68501

Annoyingly we have had a real problem with one of her feet. She had pus that under ran and came out of her coronet. As it grew down a rather horrid crack started and the foot was looking like it would destabilise:

View attachment 68502

So my lovely farrier put some acrylic cast on. Which stayed in place brilliantly, but 16 weeks later and the coronet hasn’t quite knitted together well enough ?

View attachment 68503

So today she had a plate screwed on and another acrylic cast over the top. ??? this does the job

View attachment 68504

Got a good 18 months to get the hoof good but boy, how annoying

They are both lovely but I am very much in 'Team Turnip'. Please tell me her passport name is an equally good one?!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That looks like a very neat bit of handy work by your farrier. I had one done years ago like it and it worked well until it was removed too early and reopened. Fingers crossed your farrier is more clued up than my "expert" was.

Asha

Visit site
Nice to see youngsters being allowed to be youngsters . Both looking fab , but I’m another in Turnips camp . Great work by your farrier .. will keep everything crossed for you that it heals up well .
I hope you do get to ride Millie, being an owner is an expensive job, but if you can ride them now and then it makes it a bit more worthwhile

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Flora had a crack plate on for a while and it worked a treat with moulded plastic over the top. Fingers crossed it stabilises it enough to help regrowth. Millie will be nice. You can see the structure now.

ihatework

Visit site
I think I have found my calling in life. Patting youngsters!!! They both bring me so much pleasure.

Both have had their 2nd birthdays this month, where is the time going? They have wintered well, neither saw a rug.

Millie continues to grow. She must be the best part of 16.2hh at the wither and as you can see quite a bit up behind!

Turnip is slow and steady but I am most relieved to see her foot crack starting to stabilise.

751F2956-7406-4FFA-A4CC-90BA07F973EE.jpeg932D6E1A-FCE6-4517-A2CB-9F5F0DE4F327.jpeg076E64D2-F79B-4F98-B216-0FDB12BFA17C.jpegAE5CF90A-6363-409C-BADF-4A4FAD020765.jpeg