Eventing 2024 Season Thread

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
That sounds brilliant! I’d bring myself out of my temporary eventing retirement for that! But sadly I’m on holiday then. Hope they run it next year.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
That sounds brilliant! I’d bring myself out of my temporary eventing retirement for that! But sadly I’m on holiday then. Hope they run it next year.

I hope it gets well supported. Obviously some of that will depend on how much the whole thing costs... but it's a proper parkland greenfield event of exactly the type that we need to survive - with a strong XC test at all levels.

Squeak

Visit site
It sounds great and great to see BE trying to do something for grass roots riders (wont go in to it too much on this thread through!!). Am I right in thinking there used to be a three day event at 90 & 100?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
It sounds great and great to see BE trying to do something for grass roots riders (wont go in to it too much on this thread through!!). Am I right in thinking there used to be a three day event at 90 & 100?

there still is, at Bicton (it used to be at Aldon before that ended. The Bicton one is run in the 'old' long format (roads and tracks, steeplechase etc.) whereas this one is like a normal modern long format. AFAIK there's never been a northern 90/100 3DE event, so this is a nice addition.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I hope it gets well supported. Obviously some of that will depend on how much the whole thing costs... but it's a proper parkland greenfield event of exactly the type that we need to survive - with a strong XC test at all levels.

I hope so too. I love Frickley and have ridden round there several times. Course always rides well, too.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Great news from Frickley Park - they've just announced a 90 and 100 long format event to run at the international fixture there - so alongside the 2 and 3* FEI classes and the regional qualifiers in August.

Details here - https://news.britisheventing.com/welcome-to-the-uvex-frickley-cup-a-90cm-100cm-long-format-event/
This looks brilliant! Sadly I’ve moved to the other end of the country, but I’m almost (but not quite) tempted to make the 6-7hr trip! Hoping to do Bicton instead as that’s only 30mins

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
This looks brilliant! Sadly I’ve moved to the other end of the country, but I’m almost (but not quite) tempted to make the 6-7hr trip! Hoping to do Bicton instead as that’s only 30mins
Bicton also has direct Badminton Q so worth the cost. Frickley doesn’t. It’s just a drawn out one day event over 3 days with no benefit, when lots want the long format. For half the price you can do BRC champs. They have now removed the roads and tracks and moved it to 2 days though irritatingly dressage and xc on same day and Sjing on final day.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Bicton also has direct Badminton Q so worth the cost. Frickley doesn’t. It’s just a drawn out one day event over 3 days with no benefit, when lots want the long format. For half the price you can do BRC champs. They have now removed the roads and tracks and moved it to 2 days though irritatingly dressage and xc on same day and Sjing on final day.
Yes, if they had direct Q Id make the trip, would have been fun when I was only 1hr30 away though! we did our RF there last year and was a great course and atmosphere. I’m not a BRC member so can’t do their champs, but this seasons aim is MERs for Bicton 🤞🏼

ihatework

Visit site

Well to do the BRC champs you a) have to be a BRC member and b) have to qualify.

I don’t think the Frickley initiative is pointless at all. If it gives members what they are looking for then I’m all for it - if it gets the entries then it’s obviously worth the cost to those members.

Would be great if it could also count as a direct qualification as it then gives more northern members who wouldn’t make the trek to Bicton the opportunity. Perhaps that needs to be raised formally if anyone here has particular skin in the game for it.

If we want to support BE and help it to survive/flourish then we all need to be a bit more, well, positive and supportive

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well to do the BRC champs you a) have to be a BRC member and b) have to qualify.

I don’t think the Frickley initiative is pointless at all. If it gives members what they are looking for then I’m all for it - if it gets the entries then it’s obviously worth the cost to those members.

Would be great if it could also count as a direct qualification as it then gives more northern members who wouldn’t make the trek to Bicton the opportunity. Perhaps that needs to be raised formally if anyone here has particular skin in the game for it.

If we want to support BE and help it to survive/flourish then we all need to be a bit more, well, positive and supportive

I'd do it. I am not a realisctic prospect from Badminton GR anyway as the dresage is not good enogh. (Yet!) So my aim (BS or BE) is to get whatever qualifications are realistic - at the moment just Regionals for BE. Then enjoy the best events I can with big event feel. I loved riding round the Championship track last year at Chillington - because it was a championship track! Longer XC, long arena etc. I was never going further than that anyway, but it was a fab experience. I would love, love to experience the SJ in reverse order.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
As is Ascott under Wychwood next weekend. They are looking at feasibility of running at Oxstalls instead which is great although I wonder how this will be for those who missed out on Oxstalls last weekend.

LEC

www.youtube.com

I think we have all these organisers doing really good initiatives and with a little bit of extra thought they could be meaningful. A simple copy of an idea from U18s and having an inter regional competition which would then link up the BE training initiatives and give them more meaning for adults or giving the event 10% badminton direct Q as Bicton always ends up with 20%. I get frustrated by the lack of cohesive thinking to really make this kind of thing a bit more special. People are crying out for it. BD membership is sky high because of what they offer. Record numbers of horses and riders registered and the biggest growth area…. Club. 4000 people are signed up to BD club membership because of the team format. It could all be quickly implemented as well without any extra effort. Attend 2 training sessions and be selected on results. Just like BD does for its inter regional stuff.

ihatework

Visit site
I think we have all these organisers doing really good initiatives and with a little bit of extra thought they could be meaningful. A simple copy of an idea from U18s and having an inter regional competition which would then link up the BE training initiatives and give them more meaning for adults or giving the event 10% badminton direct Q as Bicton always ends up with 20%. I get frustrated by the lack of cohesive thinking to really make this kind of thing a bit more special. People are crying out for it. BD membership is sky high because of what they offer. Record numbers of horses and riders registered and the biggest growth area…. Club. 4000 people are signed up to BD club membership because of the team format. It could all be quickly implemented as well without any extra effort. Attend 2 training sessions and be selected on results. Just like BD does for its inter regional stuff.

Ok so just be careful with your terminology then.

Pointless is completely negative.

Good initiative with scope to improve and build on …

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Yeah but, BD is also incredibly dull, even at championships ;)

LEC

www.youtube.com
Yeah but, BD is also incredibly dull, even at championships ;)
Yes, but as an organisation they are making money and thriving at all levels from bottom up. The offering from cobs, to warmbloods to ROR is slick and cohesive. The junior to adult offering is equal and they have seem to hit on a system for those who want to do well at GR level to those who want to go to the Olympics. The only ones who moan are pros in gold who seem to end up against CDJ doing novice on her next bright thing but that’s ok as they are pros so should just get better…..

Wishfilly

Visit site
FWIW I know people who have gone to Bicton just for the experience, with no expectation or hope of qualifying for Badminton- but to have the chance to do a proper stay away 3 day event. Some people actively want to experience the long format as well. However, I also know people who are a bit wary of the steeplechase and how it encourages horses to jump prior to going XC.

I think there's a gap in the market for a 3 day event in standard format aimed at grassroots level, and I hope it's well supported.

McGrools

Visit site
I haven’t done BE for a few years, lack of horse. But a 3 day long format at 90 with steeplechase would absolutely get me motivated xx

Gamebird

Visit site
I've done LF, FEI 3 days and BRC Champs LF on several occasions and was still half contemplating the Frickley 3 day. I just know the courses there are tough and it will be too soon for my racehorse. Next year maybe!

Honestly there will be others like me. Not interested in Badminton GR direct qualifying as never going to have a good enough dressage for it to happen. Done plenty of bucket-list eventing over the years. Now just interested in a nice weekend away competing, a good atmosphere and company, and a bit of a 'special' event to make the hard work worth it. And if the xc is suitably tough then maybe a squeak of a chance of a placing. I hope it succeeds.

dixie

Visit site
Lovely round - he has a real smile on his face.

This fence looks very confusing. Was it easier for the horses to read as on video it looks like just one very enormous fence.

IMG_8085.png

ihatework

Visit site
Very sweet round RF

All quiet here. 8yo was going to have an intermediate run at SoE but that fell by the wayside. Rider has decided to do the novice masters at Cirencester for some reason now! Then probably the intermediate at Aston. Itching to really get started now!

But grinning like a Cheshire Cat re the 5yo, she moved this week to her hopefully permanent base with rider who used to ride my flying carthorse. She is looking really really special and it’s like a breath of fresh air having a horse back with him. We are so aligned on well, everything.

BACR

Visit site
Hehe - got my Thoresby XC video through today - enjoy my horse making it look way too easy 😂

What a beautiful round, amazing horse, perfectly ridden.

On a different note, you guys should be some sort of eventing poster faces for RoR. I always see these influencer types (no offence to them and I follow a few) promoting RoR when they appear to have no connection to exracers. It makes me a little disappointed in the organisation as I feel they should be working with people such as yourself, who's produced an exracer from the track to climb the levels in a completely different sport. It would be far more relatable and motivating to read about your journey than hear some Instagrammer talking about RoRs when they've probably never sat on one let alone gone through the retaining process. Anyway, just my musings on a Sunday afternoon, congratulations on your lovely run.

Northern Hare

Visit site
That's such a lovely video, both of you looked as though you were really enjoying your round, and made it look really easy! I'm watching the full day's recording on H&C+, and the fog in the morning looked like it was making it hard for the early rounds. Also on your video it was interesting to see the approach to the portable bank - it also looked huge on TV! Have you seen your round on the H&C+ footage? I'll keep my eye out for you - we're you No. 511?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Went eventing, turned into a very expensive dressage test after I got jumped off at fence 2 of the SJ, gahhh.

So frustrating as he’s been going better than ever, and warmed up like a total dream. Had a dodgy jump over fence 1, can’t work out why, even after watching the video a million times. Thought I’d got my balance back and we could go straight to fence two, I was wrong. Hit the deck. Both fine, went back into the warmup afterwards and he was still jumping brilliantly. I’m sure once we’ve got a few good runs in again it will be a funny story and video. For now I’m having a small pity party while trying to work out how I’m going to get a run in with grass SJ before Bramham (my next 3 events I’d planned all have SJ on a surface) and trying to make myself feel better by looking at how many people had problems XC (at one of the fences I already didn’t like)

IMG_5636.jpeg