EX BREEDING BiTCH RESCUE😞

Janique

Visit site
Hello,

Nouille is in season.... The breeder said that it's too early, the next date was April 4th. She thinks that moving homes and a big change of routine
stressed her a bit thus provoking seasons.

Apart for being very careful with male dogs and letting her rest more, is there anything i can do to help her ?

She isn't eating that well and seems a lot more sleepy.

The vet told me that we will have to wait 2 months after the season to do the op, that's ok anyway, there is no rush.

Any advices or tips welcome.

Thank you

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
She’s absolutely beautiful, how lucky both she and you are! We had a basset hound when I was a kid and there are a couple of breed-specific traits that you might be aware of, for instance they can be very stubborn and are not known to be the most obedient, shall we say….. They are also prone to back problems, as well as ear and eye maladies. I wonder if that was why she was reluctant to go down the stairs at your old place. Anyway, the best of luck to you and I hope she continues to settle in well.

Janique

Visit site
Thank you Cortez,

Yes, you are right, she has a own mind about things but she always does what she is told eventually. That's what i like about Bassets, people think they are studborn but i think
they are smart !

A bit like with a mare, you have to ask her first but she is keen to oblige at the end.

She needs time to do things and seems to say, ok, i do it if you really want me too ! She is actually quiet good of the lead at the moment, she comes back when called.

My flat is on the ground floor so it's easier for her but on walks she is keen to run and jump up and down small walls and won't hesitate to climb or jump down if she feels like it.

i guess, i have to leave it up to her, today, she walked staight into the lake like a duck to water ! Well, she didn't go far in but seemed to enjoy being wet !

She not coach potatoes at the moment, she full of life and keen to explore.

misst

Visit site
She sounds like a joy to have.
If she is in season I would not be letting her off the lead and I would be walking at the quietest times of day. I have know one or two in season bitches who have taken it upon themselves to find a mate. One was missing for 3 days!

Janique

Visit site
Nouille is still in season and has trouble to settle during the night, getting up and lying down again still bleeding and licking herself

and seems unconfortable. She eat a bit less too at the moment.

The vet told me that i couldn't do much to help her however, i saw some rescue remedies with Bach flowers especially for dogs.

As anyone experience with Bach Flowers for dogs ?

Also been looking into Linda Tellington Jones books about helping dogs, they looks interesting, does anyone use the method ?

Many thanks

Janique

Visit site
Hello,

I am getting a bit worried about Nouille, normally the seasons should have been around April 4th, the last one were in October 2023.

The breeder told me that moving home could have provoqued the seasons, the vet said the same.

The breeder talked about a hormonal disorder whatever that means, i am not sure..

She is still bleeding and we are on days 13 ( not much ), she is eating well but can't seems to settle down, licking, walking around and looking uncomfortable.

It seems worst this morning, gave her Back flowers drops for dogs, not sure if that's helping.

Will call the vet to check tomorrow morning, she is urinating a lot which is normal and pooing ok too.

Anything else, i should do ?

Thanks in advance.

Janique

Visit site
Hello,

Back again with another question.

Nouille is doing well, enjoying walks in the forest, at the moment, i use a regular collar but i wonder if a harness would be better ?

She doesn't pull as much on the lead, but when she sees a cat, she can get quiet strong and i don't want to pull on her neck...

I tried different kind of harness but nothing seems to fit her properly and she hates it. Refusing to move and when she does walking strangely.

Basset are quiet a strange shape and it's hard to find one that fit's properly.

What do you use ? Collar or harness and if so, what kind are the best ? It seems to be so many different kind of them, it's mind boggling tbh !

Thank you in advance.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Hello,

Back again with another question.

Nouille is doing well, enjoying walks in the forest, at the moment, i use a regular collar but i wonder if a harness would be better ?

She doesn't pull as much on the lead, but when she sees a cat, she can get quiet strong and i don't want to pull on her neck...

I tried different kind of harness but nothing seems to fit her properly and she hates it. Refusing to move and when she does walking strangely.

Basset are quiet a strange shape and it's hard to find one that fit's properly.

What do you use ? Collar or harness and if so, what kind are the best ? It seems to be so many different kind of them, it's mind boggling tbh !

Thank you in advance.

There is a recent thread on harnesses that you might find helpful: https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...-best-fit-and-dont-restrict-shoulders.835613/

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My twp youngsters are better on a harness/longline. The OH has been taking them out individually this week and allowing more freedom (both had injuries). Goose pulls like a train on a collar and we rarely have them on lead anyway, plus I don't want them to injure their necks. We had harnesses fitted in Pets at Home, I am not sure of the level of expertise, but it was a girl I know from the yard and she took her time.

Tomorrow will be their first day of proper freedom after a week of slow walks. Will be interesting in the mud and filth!

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Perfect Fit Harnesses can be bought as separates and they will advise if you email them, if we are off-road my little terrier wears one as she’s not allowed off lead. On roads I use her collar and she walks to heel.

Janique

Visit site
I just came out of the vet and i am feeling worried....
When i got Nouille 10 weeks ago, she had a lump on her back, the vet said that it was probably a fatty lump, common in older dog.

Went in this morning to organise the hysteroctomie by laparoscopie and the lump is gotten bigger.

She took a biopsie to check and i will get the results tomorrow. She said that it was strange as there was a lot of pus in the seringue.

She asked me if i knew of an old injuries there but i don't.

Well, i need to stay postive and hope the results will be fine.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I just came out of the vet and i am feeling worried....
When i got Nouille 10 weeks ago, she had a lump on her back, the vet said that it was probably a fatty lump, common in older dog.

Went in this morning to organise the hysteroctomie by laparoscopie and the lump is gotten bigger.

She took a biopsie to check and i will get the results tomorrow. She said that it was strange as there was a lot of pus in the seringue.

She asked me if i knew of an old injuries there but i don't.

Well, i need to stay postive and hope the results will be fine.

I hope that the lump turns out to be nothing serious and that the vet is able to easily treat it if there is an infection. Good luck for the biopsy appointment and results 🍀

Janique

Visit site
While grooming Nouille this morning, i noticed some milk coming out !

She loves having a tummy rubbed and i do that often, could i have sort of stimuled her to produce some milk ?

She is due to be spayed on the 12.6 by laparoscopie and seems in great form at the moment.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
She could be having a phantom pregnancy. Is she showing any other signs - off her food, nesting, carrying toys ? You should still be ok for spaying in June but if she starts producing a lot of milk you may need to get medication from the vet.

Janique

Visit site
No, she is acting normally, not nesting or carrying toys.

It seems to have stopped, i will observe her in the next few days.

I contacted the breeder and she said that's quiet normal for Basset, they usually have some milk after the seasons.

She has been breeding Bassets for 20 years so i guess, she knows what she is talking about.