Facebook - Horse shot by livery owner

Equi

Visit site
How do you abuse a horse after shooting it? :confused3:

From what i gather, the mare was hard to handle and difficult to catch resulting in them finally catching her and dragging her with the jcb to the gate where she was shot. They used a bull gun too, and missed, so she was probably shot several times to actually kill her.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
From what i gather, the mare was hard to handle and difficult to catch resulting in them finally catching her and dragging her with the jcb to the gate where she was shot. They used a bull gun too, and missed, so she was probably shot several times to actually kill her.

Jesus wept!!!

dibbin

Visit site
This is horrific. Glad to see there have been arrests but that's no guarantee of successful prosecution. My heart goes out to the owner and loaner ... whatever the back story may or may not be, they and the horse did not deserve this.

FionaM12

Visit site
Shouldn't this be a cruelty case as well as a criminal one if those accounts are true? Sounds like she was killed with extreme cruelty. This place should be shut down, and the perpetrators imprisoned.

stilltrying

Visit site
Go on Daily Mail, put that on your front page instead of the humane dispatch of a broken legged racehorse.

I think that was the Mirror....

But anyway, sounds a rather extreme method of debt collecting?! I've been on a yard before where i had to sign to say that if i didn't pay / owed monies, my horse would be sent to auction and sold. I signed and agreed to that without issue.

Equi

Visit site
I think that was the Mirror....

But anyway, sounds a rather extreme method of debt collecting?! I've been on a yard before where i had to sign to say that if i didn't pay / owed monies, my horse would be sent to auction and sold. I signed and agreed to that without issue.

Thats pretty standard! But as far as i can tell it was verbally agreed that he would shoot them, never on paper.

Its such a shame, cause it looks like an amazing facility - he doesn't deserve such a nice yard.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I literally cannot believe what I am reading about what was done to this poor horse. I would like to revise my earlier comment about what should be done to those b*****ds. Shooting is too good for them.

Regardless of any argy bargy over the monies owed, these people are just sick and need to be put away for good.

But in back of my mind I am wondering why anyone in their right mind would keep their horses with them anyway - non-payment = death of the horse - what on earth are people thinking by signing up to something like that. Can understand non-payment = auction, that would cover at least some of the costs and would expect something like that in a contract, but to kill a horse for non-payment beggars belief.

ladyt25

Visit site
I am shocked and sickened by this and was hoping it was untrue/being mis-reported. Have used the facilities at this yard many times over the years so am pretty disgusted to find out I have handed money over to someone who feels this is acceptable behaviour. I hope he does get locked up and for a considerable time as someone of that mentality is dangerous in my opinion. Poor bloody horse. It's the innocent who pay the ultimate price at the end of the day isn't it

green007

New User
Visit site
My horse Kit was not hard to catch or handle she was a loving mare who did not deserve to end up like this. I would of collected myself rather then it resulting like this.I would hope people would now stop posting pictures and speculating about my horse. I'm devastated that they decided to carry out there actions without my consent.

julie111

Visit site
My horse Kit was not hard to catch or handle she was a loving mare who did not deserve to end up like this. I would of collected myself rather then it resulting like this.I would hope people would now stop posting pictures and speculating about my horse. I'm devastated that they decided to carry out there actions without my consent.

Bless you, I am so sorry to read what has happened to your poor poor mare!
I hope the people involved get their comeuppance! (((( hugs)))) to you and RIP beautiful girl!

ladyt25

Visit site
I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. No punishment the culprits will get will be adequate but I do hope at least their punishment is severe.

Abby-Lou

Visit site

When I read this morning this awful story I was hoping it all wasn't true, I'm very sorry for all this upset for you and your family and I hope the people involved will be dealt with in the appropriate manner

Landcruiser

Visit site
How on earth does someone with this mentality end up running/owning a big livery yard? He clearly has no love for horses, and no respect for their owners either. What he's done is shocking and unforgivable, as well as being a criminal act. Imagine if the loaner's small children had seen the horse being dumped! What a sorry excuse for a human being that guy sounds. Very nasty man.

rockysmum

Visit site
How on earth does someone with this mentality end up running/owning a big livery yard? He clearly has no love for horses, and no respect for their owners either. What he's done is shocking and unforgivable, as well as being a criminal act. Imagine if the loaner's small children had seen the horse being dumped! What a sorry excuse for a human being that guy sounds. Very nasty man.

Story is he got a lot of funding to diversify, whoever gives out this funding doesn't care whether they are horse lovers or not, its just business. Apparently he wants to turn it into an industrial complex anyway.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Wow, that is low!

Glad they police are dealing with as surely its the same as the rules with say...cars... Polcie cannot I believe crush a car on HPI can they? So this is the same...although far more vile and horrific.

Poor pony. :(

tinap

Visit site
From what I can remember it's an old dairy farm that went under in the foot & mouth outbreak & they were given funding to change the use. we've been many times, most recently in August. The owners are elderly (runs it with their son) & tbh the whole place is looking very run down & tired.

Tristan269

New User
Visit site
I just do not believe all this has happened. After owning horses for well over 50 years I have never heard of anything like this happening before. The place needs closing down and the persons involved dealt with by the authorities. If I were the remaining people on there I would get my horse off asap. All my sympathy goes to the owner of the horse, It must be so awfull for you and to think I happened over a measley £30 the mind boggles.

cronkmooar

Visit site
Quite frankly, I am stunned.

When I seen this first thing this morning before there were any replies to the thread, I thought it was bound to be a facebook hoax. To come back now and read the thread is truly shocking.

To the person that had the horse on loan, it does not matter if you owed money or not - this is very very wrong and I can only imagine how distressing it was to find your horse in such a fashion.

To the owner of the horse - I simply have no words that could help

Repulsive behaviour

bakewell

Visit site
I am pretty sure whoever is involved here and has a firearms (and associated humane dispatch) certificate is about to have it (rightly) revoked. Doesn't help the immediate atrocity but I am sure the local police (issuing authority) will come down like a tonne of bricks on this front at least.

blackandwhite

Visit site
It's just beyond belief. I too saw it on my fb this morning and thought it'd be some grossly exaggerated thing. To find out that it's true is horrendous. Even at the extreme of argument, that livery owners owed money should have the right to take action, it's totally unjustifiable. What a truly appalling thing to do.

Chirmapops

Visit site
If that is the case and no prosecution can take place, I think naming, shaming and putting out of business is justified in this case (but not vigilantism, to be clear... No place for that, as people who mean well shouldn't be the ones prosecuted over this). If there had been Facebook publicity last time this had happened, maybe this horse wouldn't have ended up dead.

What a barbaric policy. Poor owner and poor horse.

Absolutely not - the story has been reported on here http://m.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11538...n_with_JCB___2_men_arrested___UPDATED/?ref=mr where it says that two men have been arrested. Any sort of naming and shaming could lead to an accusation of contempt of court, and the collaps of the trial. Be very careful what you post on social media, and here (I'm a former journalist, so I know about the law surrounding these issues, in case you wondered)

fatpiggy

Visit site
Surely the YO knew that the horse was only on loan to the livery client? If they didn't then that is really bad management. They should have approached its actual owner to pay the debt and left them to sort it out with the person loaning the horse.