Facts; Deal with them

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
IMO if a person is old enough to post on the internet without parental supervision, then they have to be responsible for what they make avaialable to the public. I would have hoped that if a person lives in an unsafe country that their parents/gaurdians would have educated them as to what was and what was not appropriate to post. It really is not the responsibility of other forum members to do that for them.

As for the original point of the thread, if you want to follow a particular discipline, then for goodness sake accept the rules of turn out and tack, don't expect them to hange for you, they won't! FACT

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
IMO if a person is old enough to post on the internet without parental supervision, then they have to be responsible for what they make avaialable to the public. I would have hoped that if a person lives in an unsafe country that their parents/gaurdians would have educated them as to what was and what was not appropriate to post. It really is not the responsibility of other forum members to do that for them.

As for the original point of the thread, if you want to follow a particular discipline, then for goodness sake accept the rules of turn out and tack, don't expect them to hange for you, they won't! FACT

YorksG, agreed - but without meaning to be personal, you don't have teenage kids, do you? I'm guessing, obviously, but generaly they can be, at best, unwise. I remember cantering around the countryside with neither hat nor tack, not even a halter.... simply because I was a teenager and my parents weren't looking. I rest my case :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Agreed, JFTD, but we shouldn't make it easier for anyone out there the trace a forum member, irrespective of whether he/she's been a bit silly....
(Meantime, I can only dream of what it must be like to ride bareback in the snow... love your pics, and most envious!)

I do agree, in principle. I just don't think that editing this thread will help :( (Though it should probably be done anyway - out of principle!).

Ahh, I love the snow - it's the best bit of the British weather :) Thanks!

Having fun JFTD?? :D

Not really, it's a bit slow on here tonight :cool: Nobody's biting!
:D

Maybe I should post some footage of you abusing Rob or hacking the poor love out in that double or something to liven things up? :p

dafthoss

Visit site
Go for it if you need some light entertainment for the evening :D I would have thought it would have been a bit more intresting on here what with it being half term :cool:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Go for it if you need some light entertainment for the evening :D I would have thought it would have been a bit more intresting on here what with it being half term :cool:

I'm amazed by the apparent lack of "interesting" half term specials :(

Hmmm *plans new thread*

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Back to PF's facts....

10. My horses sleep on hay. Not straw, not funny rubber matty things, shavings, wooden pellets (not sure we even get them in Africa) but hay. They can sleep on their bedding, eat it, or p on it. And I empty my stables completely every morning, wash out, and put in fresh bedding all over again in the evening. Not obsessive at all.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
YorksG, agreed - but without meaning to be personal, you don't have teenage kids, do you? I'm guessing, obviously, but generaly they can be, at best, unwise. I remember cantering around the countryside with neither hat nor tack, not even a halter.... simply because I was a teenager and my parents weren't looking. I rest my case :D

No I don't, but when I had parental responsibility for a vulnerable teenage girl, I made absolutely sure that she didn't post anything which would expose her to any risk at all! (she is now in her 30's and able to manage her own risks :D )

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
No I don't, but when I had parental responsibility for a vulnerable teenage girl, I made absolutely sure that she didn't post anything which would expose her to any risk at all! (she is now in her 30's and able to manage her own risks :D )

YorksG, couldn't agree with you more. When I'm not mucking out my stables and making up nice hay beds :D, I'm running around after my teenagers who are rather outspoken (surprise) and inclined to mouth off on FB etc given half a chance. It's insane how different the risks to teenagers are these days, compared with my youth. Back in 1927.

black_horse

Visit site
YorksG, couldn't agree with you more. When I'm not mucking out my stables and making up nice hay beds :D, I'm running around after my teenagers who are rather outspoken (surprise) and inclined to mouth off on FB etc given half a chance. It's insane how different the risks to teenagers are these days, compared with my youth. Back in 1927.

Better teenagers get red faced and learn about security on here then face more grave consequences elsewhere....

The majority of teenagers with access to instant chats are getting up to more then you realise and making themselves rediculously vulnerable. It took one photograph from a post on here for me to locate the girl in question. Unfortunately the internet is likea giant map of everything you get up to and every piece of information you choose to display, the good and the bad. I was once a cocky teenager, and i made my far amount of mistakes and arrogant opinions. But i am not being cocky here, i am actually genuinely concerened about the vast amount of detail i was able to find....

to QoC, i dont mean to come across as arrogant, but sometimes us adults say what we feel you need to hear. If you are going to stick your head above a wall and voice an opinion on a forum, expect someone to take aim and try to shoot you down. Dont take the comments to heart, learn from them and remember, no one on here wishes ill on anyother poster/person.

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
I will never understand why people love to cause a bit of friction on a thread!

Or believe that they are in the right and that's the end of the discussion and will not listen to a word the other side has to offer

Everyone makes mistakes... And for those who say you don't lier lier bums on fire! :)

But seriously guys, ok people makes mistakes on here, exaggerate a bit, contradict themselves, etc etc but everyone of us will have done that once or twice in our lives so there's no need to point out and judge somebody's flaws in public! Everyone has them whether they believe it or not.

I also think if everyone was talking face to face about 95% of these sarcastic and sometimes mean comments would never be said.

Sometimes it's hard to judge how the person meant what they said over text, so if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all! There's always a nice way to put your opinions across :D

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Better teenagers get red faced and learn about security on here then face more grave consequences elsewhere....
When I was a teenager, way back in the dark ages, and there WAS no internet, and I lived in Buenos Aires, which back in the 80s was INCREDIBLY safe. My friends and I stayed out SOBER and unsupervised until 5-6 in the morning. HOWEVER if I did or said something foolish/irresponsible/stupid/insensitive/rude (and I did ALL of these) I was told so in no uncertain terms. Nobody cared if I was offended or not. Thank GOD that they did. I can't imagine what sort of a***hole I'd be if they hadn't!!!!!!

PingPongPony

Visit site
Well, i'm one of the teenagers on here. I don't think that i'm invincible or that i know everything, i'm happy to learn, in fact i LOVE to learn and when i don't know something i will ask someone who does. What annoys me is when trying to find a loan horse recently, the second the owner knows my age they are absolutely sure that because im young i will be unable to handle and ride anything above 14.2hh, i'm 5ft11 (yes that tall and am still a teen) and i have long legs, i look ridiculous on anything thats 14.2hh and under (personal experience here, have rang about a few bigger horses and after telling them my experience then my age i was told to go and look for something more suitable like a 14.2hh pony). I do know that due to my age i will have a lot less experience than a person that is older than me but it still doesn't make me incapable of handling a horse. I'm not in any way trying to say that all adults are like that because i know that a lot of them aren't. I guess i'm just fed up of being a teenager as unfortunately there are so many of us that are the cocky know it all types. I get on a lot better with adults than with people my own age, i find it easier to talk to them and have a nice conversation and a laugh, yet with other teenagers i sometimes dont get their way of thinking. I have been told by many adults that i'm 16 going on 30 though. I care about things that teens do not even think about, eg. global warming and pollution, i do try to save energy as much as i can and i do really care about what happens to our planet for the future generations. I'm 16 and i have known what i want to be since i was 7, the day i swore to be a vet, someone said to me ''don't be silly, you will change your mind 1000 times before you become whatever you'll become'', well guess what, since that day i have been working towards being a vet, i have chosen my GCSE's to help me get there and i have now chosen my A levels to suit the job, i have also been to see several unis and have chosen top 3, i have also chosen the one i'd really like to go to, i';ve also done the research as to what i need to get in and despite being 16 i already have 9months work experience to go on my CV for the uni, no not riding stables but the type the uni likes, farms, lambing etc. I guess i'm abnormal thou. :D

Going back to the main point of this thread :)
1. No, my horse does not need 6 months to settle down before i ride it, if it has comepeted then arriving at its new home and being ridden is no different to shows. i dont tend to go to a venue weeks before the comp so my horse can settle.
2. I'm not the worlds best rider and i do think lessons are beneficial, even if you have your own horse.
3. My horse is ridden in a 3 ring gag xc or hacking, and if i tried to ride it in a snaffle i would never stop.
4. i love matchy matchy
5. i call my horse ''a pony in disguise'' and treat it like one, she's spoilt but is the best behaved horse on our yard
6. when i say that my horse doesnt like little people (children) and little animals, i'm not joking, so please do not bring your child to pat it and act suprised when it pulls faces and backs off, she wont bite but she doesnt like it so please respect that

quirky

Visit site
It's a pity this thread took a turn from the sentiment it was posted with.

Personally, I find it extremely disturbing that somebody boasts about cyber stalking on here and being able to track people down. Why :confused:?
You know, we had a man in SB who did this and he upset/worried quite a number of people. It is equally worrying when it is a mentally unstable female!

I'm with DragonSlayer on this one.
There is really no need for some people to be so downright nasty. I am embarrassed for some of you and how you portray yourselves :eek::eek:

Ancient Hacker

Visit site

The majority of teenagers with access to instant chats are getting up to more then you realise and making themselves rediculously vulnerable. It took one photograph from a post on here for me to locate the girl in question. Unfortunately the internet is likea giant map of everything you get up to and every piece of information you choose to display, the good and the bad. I was once a cocky teenager, and i made my far amount of mistakes and arrogant opinions. But i am not being cocky here, i am actually genuinely concerened about the vast amount of detail i was able to find....

to QoC, i dont mean to come across as arrogant, but sometimes us adults say what we feel you need to hear. If you are going to stick your head above a wall and voice an opinion on a forum, expect someone to take aim and try to shoot you down. Dont take the comments to heart, learn from them and remember, no one on here wishes ill on anyother poster/person.

Black-horse, thank you for what you wrote above. I hope QoC will take it to heart. As an aside, I wonder how much of any possible irksomeness is from the name she has chosen, which of itself comes across as possibly snooty, albeit unintentionally or ironically - I chose the most innocuous name I could when registering here. As to too much detail, I've learnt from experience that even snippets of info can get you identified in RL ... Maybe QoC has learnt a new self-preservation skill which will stand her in good stead in the future. I would love to see more positive stuff, like Black_horse's above, to maybe develop some savvy in the younger members.

TheoryX1

Visit site
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha PF, you wicked girl, you have made me laugh, very, very hard. My PA is wondering what on earth I am doing. I am going to read the whole of this thread tonight with a glass of wine.

Some facts from me:

1 Teenagers are vile! I have a nearly 17 year old version and for the most part she is ok, but when she is vile, she is vile. They do not listen to you, take you for granted, ask you for money and oh, expect you to pay for everything for their horse and then demand expensive, branded stuff. I am so glad she is not into matchy matchy stuff though. She would be up for adoption if she was.

2 I do ride my horse bareback. He is a 14.3 hh mw cob, who has a nice broad back and not much in the wither area. I do wear a hat though. Mini TX cannot ride her horse bareback as she will get bucked off. I dont really like riding him bareback as riding him is like riding a sewing machine, err rather bouncy.

3 Both of my horses are shod, but I have no feelings either way for bareback. If it works for you, then do it.

4 I do smack my horses if they are naughty. I have a bargy cob and an opinionated mare who will take a chunk out of you at feeding time if she is kept waiting for her meals. I dont treat them cruelly or abuse them, but a swift smack does stop over half a tonne of horse getting its own way.

5 I feed my horses the cheapest, crappiest feed our feed merchant stocks. They are both good doers, and our mare does extremely well on it, even when the eventing season is in full swing. The only supplement fed is glucosamine to my 19 year old cob. If it aint broke, dont fix it and they both look extremely good on it, with plenty of energy

6 I dont personally go much for parelli or any form of 'Natural horsemanship' and those that treat the likes of Pat Parelli or Monty Roberts or their ilk as gods makes me cringe. I have seen a lot of it, and to me it just seems like common horse sense. If it works for you though then fine, I dont really care.

7 Matchy matchy. Yuck. It does look absolutely glorious but seriously, why waste your money on it. However, each to their own and before I get shot down in flames, I DO NOT GIVE A DAM IF YOU DO IT, NOR AM I CRITICISING YOU PERSONALLY, I just choose not to spend my hard earned cash on matching bandages and saddle cloths. Some of these saddle cloths cost over £90 each, and although have a very, very good job and can afford to buy them, I would rather not, but its each to their own.

Will now get on with some work, which I really should be finishing .......... oh dear.

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
TheoryX1 (on my phone so can't quote), I'm a 16 year old and I don't expect my mum to pay a penny for my horse. Its my hobby so it should be me who pays for it. I have a weekend job and I save hard to pay for my livery bills, vet/dentist fees, feed, bedding, tack, rugs etc. I hardly ever go out or buy myself things and buy the best I can afford not because its branded, but because it will last me a lifetime. Sorry if your teenager expects money from you and for you to pay for everything but not all of them are like this :)

DragonSlayer

Visit site
1 Teenagers are vile! I have a nearly 17 year old version and for the most part she is ok, but when she is vile, she is vile. They do not listen to you, take you for granted, ask you for money and oh, expect you to pay for everything for their horse and then demand expensive, branded stuff. I am so glad she is not into matchy matchy stuff though. She would be up for adoption if she was.

I disagree.

My son is a teenager, and has been grafting down the horses with me all day. He drives the tractor, shovels ***** and hangs the haynets for me. If he wants something and I say NO then the issue is not pressed, he saves his own money for it, OR asks what jobs he can do to earn more cash.

He doesn't take us for granted, he makes tea now without prompting, and will get on with the drying-up after tea without being moaned at.

His bedroom is tidy and he puts his washing in the laundry basket.

Homework is done without moaning at him - shall I hire him out??

Shantara

Visit site
7 Matchy matchy. Yuck. It does look absolutely glorious but seriously, why waste your money on it. However, each to their own and before I get shot down in flames, I DO NOT GIVE A DAM IF YOU DO IT, NOR AM I CRITICISING YOU PERSONALLY, I just choose not to spend my hard earned cash on matching bandages and saddle cloths. Some of these saddle cloths cost over £90 each, and although have a very, very good job and can afford to buy them, I would rather not, but its each to their own.

Not if you use ebay to it's full potential! My entire matchy matchy kit must have cost £100, £120 tops? That includes a rug, fleece, bandages, boots, bridle, saddle pad, stirrup treads, whip, chaps and hat silk! Not saying your anti-matchy is bad, I'm just saying it can be cheap if you look around :)

---

I don't think I'm a fab rider because I ride a 'difficult' horse. He was way worse when I started riding him and I enjoy trying to help him! If I can get him to be a good, safe horse, then my work with him will be on the way to completion!

mik

Visit site
1. If my horse is naughty he/she gets a smack. If I am quick enough
2. I love a horse with a bit of personality, but invading my personal space is absolutely NOT on.My horse does not barge, he is polite and not afraid to approach me at any time
3. Sometimes my horse (LC) is a little *****. Mine sometimes thinks about it, but knows better, if he flips, very rare, he soon realises I am not going to let him get his way, hit him or yell, fall off or panic, and he gives up very quickly, and we carry on. Sometimes a pat on the neck is enough to diffuse his tension
4. Yes, I'm sure it's lovely to ride SOME horses bareback. I am too old for this
5.Not all horses can be hacked out. Mine can, and has improved, but I go where I fancy, when I want. He enjoys it. We don't hack in high winds, neither of us like that, thank you!
6. My horses eat oats. Mine is on a mix, it was thoroughly researched and discussed with the vet, after his last blood test. His supplements are prescribed by the vet, his physio and farrier (my team) and also researched in detail. They are also assessed each month. He is retired.
7. If I'm not happy with what my farrier/ vet is doing I will ask questions and I will make suggestions. I am not an idiot, they cannot make me feel like an idiot because I will always DO MY OWN RESEARCH Ditto, but I will change them, I have enough training and experience, to know if they, do not.
8. I can see that your horse doesn't track up/is behind the vertical/looks more miserable that Totilas ridden my MAR... don't assume everyone is as gullible as you would like them to be. ;) I can see quite a lot as well, but it is my decision if I choose to comment on a post. I try to be honest and polite at all times. But sometimes I lose my patience as we all do.
9. For my family; NO Comment
10 I have done most things equestrian in my time.
I now have a retired lad with a few health problems and we toddle about a bit.
I give a few classes to a few competitors, I do not teach much.
I try to help if I am asked.
Sometimes people make me shake my head, with either a wry smile or despair, horses never make me shake my head in despair.

TheoryX1

Visit site
I disagree.

My son is a teenager, and has been grafting down the horses with me all day. He drives the tractor, shovels ***** and hangs the haynets for me. If he wants something and I say NO then the issue is not pressed, he saves his own money for it, OR asks what jobs he can do to earn more cash.

He doesn't take us for granted, he makes tea now without prompting, and will get on with the drying-up after tea without being moaned at.

His bedroom is tidy and he puts his washing in the laundry basket.

Homework is done without moaning at him - shall I hire him out??

Yes please, in fact can I swap him with Mini TX? I think a lot of it stems from the fact that she is doing her A levels, its dam near impossible to get a part time job here, and most of her friends and her boyfriend all have jobs and money, so she relies on the bank of mum and dad for cash. On top of that she competes at BE, not the cheapest of equestrian sports, and even with our sponsor it still costs £££££££. Mummy has to pay for livery and everything else.

On the plus side, she does do my horse for me when I cant get there due to work commitments, but oh does she make me suffer for it, and if she can get out of doing her horse at the weekend to go out and party, she will, cos she knows mum will do it for her.

She is going through a vile phase, but I guess they are not all the same.

To the 16 year old poster who pays for her own horse - would you like to swap with Mini TX? She would not know she was born.

ClassicG&T

Visit site
My pony DOES get nappy and lazy and can be a little s**t, its not his back/teeth/saddle, hes a pony- being naughty is what they are good at :p

Also so what if i dont chsnge my ponys rug from outdoor to stable on a night, he doesnt care and it makes it easier for my dad putting him out in the morning.

I am NOT too big for him, yes i look tall but im not too heavy, hes a fell and i'm 9.8st, he can still jump 3ft with me and loves it.