Failed the vet so the search is back on

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Oh yes, he is narrow, but that is GOOD if you're 5 ft 1! Rightly or wrongly, I am a sucker for something that looks as it needs a bit of love and food! He does have a kind face and he is a kind horse. It is such a treat to have something that is quiet & non stressy in the stable & doesn't mid waiting for o/h to catch up or to walk at o/h's slow pace. And even the first time out, he didn't neigh at all even though the NF was screaming at the top of her lungs.

And those are the important things, imo, when you are buying a horse.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
well i really like him, yes he is a little narrow in front but otherwise, to my eye. he looks good conformation wise. he is just the right size and build for you and hope you have lots of fun with him. he has a kind face and although not strikingly handsome, he is a good looking boy. when i bought my last mare i described her as workmanlike to my friends and they said she was pretty. i couldnt see it as my previous horse had been striking looking and did well showing, once i had owned my mare for a little while i agreed with my friends and decided she wasnt workman like.. he will get more good looking the longer you own him

Alibear

Visit site
If it helps I've now had 3 separate vets tell me that every QH they see looks bilaterally lame in front :oops:
If you want any QH breeding/records looking up let me know.
I hope you two have lots of fun together, he looks lovely.

catembi

Visit site
See if this works! I think it is the top half that we’re worried about as the bottom half is TB...

Attachments

• 2E2FDB56-2752-4F72-A11E-BA73E8A6CC9A.jpeg
    2E2FDB56-2752-4F72-A11E-BA73E8A6CC9A.jpeg
    578 KB · Views: 112

JFTDWS

Visit site
He's lovely, a really sweet looking chap.

What's his other breeding? Actually I'd love to see his pedigree, if you didn't mind sharing it?

edit: I took way too long typing that!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Aw, he has a really kind face. I think I would of bought him to in your situation.

All the best. Can't wait for more photos and update as you progress. :)

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
He looks like a lovely chap, and will be even more so with time! Reminds me of my new boy, he also has a very kind face and is a lovely person! Building him up is coming along nicely, and so are his feet, now 5 weeks out of shoes.

TPO

Visit site
He's lovely, what a kind face. I'm very jealous that you have a dun/buckskin and you can't be a QH (part or full) IMO!

I can see why you bought him, I would have too. I hope that you have lots of fun with him and l look forward to following your progress together now that you've cracked the photo thing!

gunnergundog

Visit site
You've got the horse, so pointless worrying now.....just enjoy; he is doing the job you purchased him for.

PSSM often doesn't show up until the age of 8 or 9 in any case.

Do as YCBM suggested above and manage as if a PSSM case.

The hair test is just £30 so worth doing. See what comes back. Depends on how much money you want to throw at it as to whether you do the full 5 panel job or not.

Fingers crossed for you.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
OK, there a 50/50 chance he's type 1 PSSM and you will know shortly if that's the case. If he's not, he could still be type 2.

First, don't panic! It's my impression having owned one definite type 2 and one vitamin E dependant that there are thousands of affected horses who are not being treated at all, and cope. I reckon maybe up to half of all heavy/cobby horses.

If he's forward and happy at the moment, you could just do nothing. Personally, because there is no risk that I know of associated with it, I'd get him on a PSSM diet straight away.

5,000 iu of natural vitamin E to start with.You can play with reducing that in summer, perhaps. If he stiffens up at all , I would add 15g a day of alcar, but some respond better to oil or other amino acids. He might also Neff more vitamin E, some do.

The test I used to use was to gently punch the big bottom muscle with my fist. If I saw ripples outwards like in a pond, he was OK. If my fist just went splat and nothing moved, then he needed more vitamin E.

Some cases are very tricky to manage. The majority aren't.

He's a really lovely boy, try to enjoy him and not worry too much.

Last edited:

Myloubylou

Visit site
Interesting I have a Welsh d mare that sometimes is a little stuffy to ride but have put down to her age - she’s 20. however she gets very tight in her hamstring, I give her massages to loosen her. Is it worth trying vit e? She’s on a joint & hoof supplement plus handful of molasses free chaff. Micronised linseed in winter

ozpoz

Visit site
I can see why you bought him Catembi - I did something similar two years ago, and am so pleased I did.
Always buy the one you really want to ride!
Have lots of fun with him.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Interesting I have a Welsh d mare that sometimes is a little stuffy to ride but have put down to her age - she’s 20. however she gets very tight in her hamstring, I give her massages to loosen her. Is it worth trying vit e? She’s on a joint & hoof supplement plus handful of molasses free chaff. Micronised linseed in winter
you may already have tested but lethargy is one of the signs of cushings and not all horses show all of the symptoms so may be worth keeping an eye on her for anything else that may point to cushings...., not able to regulate temp, slow to shed coat, drinking more, weeing more, depression, being a bit footy any of these could be a sign

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, by now you have probably had a good read through of some of the PSSM threads here on HHO (of which there are a good few), in case your lad turns out to be affected.

It's worth a heads up, though, that affected horses are often sensitive to cold temperatures and to grass flushes (or any sort of dietary sugar surge), so if your weather has been like it is here (cold winds and heavy showers interspersed with warm sun) it could make a PSSM horse more symptomatic. My own 13yo PSSM2 mare, whose symptoms I can usually manage fairly well these days, has been rather nowty since the weather turned. She was grand in the recent hot dry spell.

silv

Visit site
He lovely with a really kind eye. Lots of people here have quarter horses and I have yet to meet one that wasn't a "nice person" Looking forward to photos as he progresses with you.

silv

Visit site
If it helps I've now had 3 separate vets tell me that every QH they see looks bilaterally lame in front :oops:
If you want any QH breeding/records looking up let me know.
I hope you two have lots of fun together, he looks lovely.

I remember reading once that Quarter Horses have the highest rate of Navicular in the World. I must say that when you see what is being bred in the USA and also to a certain extent Australia, they are built downhill with huge bodies on very small feet so it is not surprising.

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
I remember reading once that Quarter Horses have the highest rate of Navicular in the World. I must say that when you see what is being bred in the USA and also to a certain extent Australia, they are built downhill with huge bodies on very small feet so it is not surprising.

Off Topic (sorry). Yes @silv I had a granddaughter of Impressive and that was her exact issue. She wasn't like a beef cow on steroids but was substantially built with tiny little hooves. She had been a successful Halter horse in her youth and had bred 3 foals, I know that at least one of them was pts with navicular. I lost her back in 2009, my then vets were completely anti-barefoot, and I'd had a bad trim and advice from a trimmer which didn't help the situation, so we went down the remedial shoeing route. I wish I knew then what I know now re barefoot. It sounds like @catembi has a sensible plan of action for going forward.