Final Jerry update

_April_

Visit site
I can't bear this news it's just awful.

I'm so so sorry E
frown.gif

treacle86

Visit site
That Is terrible News, Im so sorry for you madhector and for jerry , But im sure he will enjoy a happy retirement with you as you are such a dedicated and loving owner .
There are stories of horses who after a year or two at rest have come sound enough just to potter around on a hack now and then , you may be able to do this at a later date , failing that he is a stunning horse , and you will always have some excellent memories of the ridden time you spent together .
hugs for you and jerry xxxx

Nickijem

Visit site
I am so so sorry for you. You and Jerry have been through so much - I have followed your posts through thick and thin and each time you seemed to have overcome all the problems. You so did not deserve this.

Befney3

Visit site
I've followed your story but haven't posted yet. Just wanted to say how sorry I am. It's so hard knowing your horse will never do what you thought it would. ((hugs)) At least J can be sure you'll do your best by him & hopefully he'll still be a happy boy.

monica987

Visit site
Oh no - I was hoping for the best here
frown.gif
frown.gif
I know something of what you are feeling, but the horse I had was only a PC pony that I had had for 3 months so not quite the same
frown.gif

I really don't know what to say but BIG sQUISHY HUGS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

EventingMad

Visit site
I'm so so sorry for you both
frown.gif

Devastated for you as you can see how hard you have worked with him and what such a special combination you are.
Hope he is feeling well soon!
Big hugs to you and pants for Jerry!

catembi

Visit site
How awful, and unfair. Really feel for you.

I've always followed your posts & admired your progress - can't believe it's come to this.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Re the front leg injury, this is what Fabulous had, diagnosed by Sue at the AHT, showed up on the mri. At that point the mri hadn't been around long and she'd diagnosed 60 horses with it, 2 had come right when she saw F. He was written off over 6 months later when he went back to her for evaluation and he wasn't 100% lunged on a circle. She said I could try bringing him back into work, but offered no guarentees as to his soundness. He'd had almost a year off in total when I started walking him again, I did that for a month, then 1 month trotting, then another month with canter and a bit of schooling. He stayed sound, so I made the decision to never jump him again, and loan him out as a dressage horse and hack. This was 5 years ago. He's still working, doing dressage, and has even popped a few fences in the last year (on excellent surfaces only). He's never had a lame day due to the injury diagnosed. It may or may not be what you want to hear, just thought I'd relate my experience of this injury.

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Re the front leg injury, this is what Fabulous had, diagnosed by Sue at the AHT, showed up on the mri.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats fascinating stuff. I think Sue tends to be a bit of a gloom and doom caster. Every case is different and there's no doubting she's an excellent vet.
She has written off two of my sister's horses. One is definitely a permanent gonner as he's still not right 2 years later but the other.... hopefully he'll prove veterinary science wrong!!

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I have tears running down my face for you and God bless you for keeping him until he is unhappy with life.
It must be terrible to have your dreams smashed and we have all been there at some time because we all love our horses.
Hugs to you

oliviacharley

Visit site
thats positive...when I worked at a vets, we had horses being diagnosed/written off and months later you would hear the owners had managed to re-structure the life of the horse and the horse has become sound and is carrying on....
there is hope :0)

oliviacharley

Visit site
Has the vet said you might beable to ride J again MadH...? Or does it all depend on the op..?
Have they offered you any other advice to poss improve his condition..?
Maybe rest etc...?

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
Nope, he cant be ridden. the hocks wont improve without the op as so severe, and the feet are shot
frown.gif

Even if she had said he could maybe eventually be a light hack I wouldnt even consider it. He is a true competiton horse and is a nightmare when not in hard work, he either needs to be fit and competing or completly turned away to be a horse.

Booboos

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear it's sad news for you but it's very nice you can keep Jerry and look after him. It's really sad when you have a real bond with a horse and it's all coming together only for it to go wrong (I was in a similar situation and it was a bit like bereavement - took years to really get over it).

Loads of hugs