Finding horse

Kylara

Visit site
Potential rant warning!

Getting frustrated now. Looking for a quick sale, decent budget, but every horse I find an advert for (or is sent to me) is not right in some way. I'm being super flexible on pretty much everything but max budget, conformation, potential and the bloomin walk!

Saw a lovely horse for second viewing but worried about low heels and that it had been sent back. No option of trial so passed on it. Saw a lovely gelding but on first viewing not as described (little potential for more than elementary and struggled to see strides), a few people have started messaging me baby horses, horses way over price, horses that look to have been put together out of the leftover bits, and why oh why do so many horses that would be good have a ruddy lateral walk! ARGH!

Someone has contacted me about a 4 yr old PRE that looks nice from the single picture but still awaiting video. Plus PREs are one breed I don't know much about (Spanish horses in general really). A lovely friend is pushing her horse, but is a bit overpriced (due to good breeding) and not sure suitable for what I want.

Why is it suddenly so hard to find quality horses which aren't cow hocked or pigeon toed or have poorly attached or upside-down necks or have a ruddy lateral walk. There must be a nice horse out there in budget that is 4-6 and has the potential to do well at dressage (and by that I mean at least adv med, not novice as someone sent me ad for yesterday) that doesn't fall over when you try to circle. Sigh.

If anyone sees one do let me know ;) I'm beginning to lose the will to live here! I'm also getting tempted to just buy a sec A and produce it for high level kiddy dressage as so many lovely As about!

concorde

Visit site
Anything that mentions the word dressage seems to add to the price.
I am sure you have already discovered that a 4 to 6 year old that is going to go AdvMed is big money.
Have you looked at SJ bred youngsters ? Many move well enough for dressage and often smaller price tags.

asmp

Visit site
Has you are on the Hants/Berks border, have you had a look at nfed.co.uk? There is the odd gem on there and some will be local (ish) to you.

Kylara

Visit site
I have been looking at SJ horses yes (though they tend to have confo problems that worry me for higher levels).

I'm well aware of the price hike when you add "dressage"! Driving me crazy. And I'd rather not have a pure dressage bred horse as I'm not such a fan of the modern type.

I'm really happy to have baby horse as I can train it up fairly easily, I'm just despairing at the price and quality of horses in my bracket and they seem to be at odds with each other. I really cant stretch any further and would be happy with something well put together with good paces and that enjoys work so training can be fun rather than hard work! Adv med really isn't all that difficult for a horse that is well put together (with the right training). I've seen so many 'well bred' horses with terrible walks and flat canters, with no hind end activity I'm beginning to despair!

I'll have a look at nfed but I'm happy to travel up to two hours to look at stuff.

I think I'm between price brackets really, I'm at top end of RC horses and low level competition horses, and on the cusp of high level amateur/pro horses (which is what I need lol) but the budget is stuck there (absolute max of 7). Another 4k and I don't think I'd be having the problem, but as it is...

It's a struggle. Especially as I need something asap!

Ive started sticking in the level simply because when I said potential I was getting horses that would never get above elem due to confo or would need extensive retraining due to being so stiff and laterally inflexible.

I found a nice SJ that could have been nice but heels were on the ground :(

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
Without trying to sound offensive, how confident a rider are you? I do know of a stunning mare who is 16.2 and well started. Her paces and desire to learn/work ethic makes adv med seem more than likely BUT, the producer is very honest and this mare is second generation Jazz. This means that while she is a complete sweetheart on the floor and to handle, she was tricky to back and producer has now found that this seems to be a "Jazz" thing. She has behaved well since in work but isn't a horse to take for granted. Confirmation wise she can't really be faulted either. I like her enough that if I had spare cash around, I would buy her regardless. She has been an exceptionally nice mare to me on the floor and I am very very fond of her. Producer did put all of this on her advert as well.

Luci07

Visit site
I have been looking at SJ horses yes (though they tend to have conform problems that worry me for higher levels).

I'm well aware of the price hike when you add "dressage"! Driving me crazy. And I'd rather not have a pure dressage bred horse as I'm not such a fan of the modern type.

I'm really happy to have baby horse as I can train it up fairly easily, I'm just despairing at the price and quality of horses in my bracket. I really cant stretch any further and would be happy with something well put together with good paces and that enjoys work so training can be fun rather than hard work! Adv med really isn't all that difficult for a horse that is well put together (with the right training). I've seen so many 'well bred' horses with terrible walks and flat canters, with no hind end activity I'm beginning to despair!

I'll have a look at nfed but I'm happy to travel up to two hours to look at stuff.

I think I'm between price brackets really, I'm at top end of RC horses and low level competition horses, and on the cusp of high level amateur/Pro horses (which is what I need lol) but the budget is stuck there. Another 4k and I don't think I'd be having the problem, but as it is...

It's a struggle. Especially as I need something asap!

Ive started sticking in the level simply because when I said potential I was getting horses that would never get above elements due to confo or would need extensive retraining due to being so stiff.

I found a nice SJ that could have been nice but heels were on the ground :(

Try Caroline at Eurostud in Kent. My friend bought a lovely horse off her, horse was brilliant (and continues to me) and she was very straightforward to deal with. When I called her and I was looking, she didn't waste my time either.

Kylara

Visit site
I'm very confident. (qualified instructor t not that that is a guarantee of anything!). I generally reschool ponies and youngsters and I've now got time for one of my own again. I used to event and SJ at what is now 1.10/1.15 (?) but ran out of time for another youngster due to going back to uni! I had a lovely eventing pony that was training at partial medium, but hated dressage and I got my first pony up to competitive elem to general amazement (really not put together for more than strolling around, broncing, and chucking people off). And I'm capable of riding all sorts. I'm small though and whilst I'd love to go back to eventing it's now so expensive that I'd rather stick with BD and do some unaff eventing if horse was capable.

I'd class myself as advanced amateur, capable of doing pretty high level with the right horse ;) and I can train horses well. I'd rather not have a nut job but that's only because I deal with temperamental ponies regularly and would rather have something pleasant ;)

I do lots of in hand work and am one of the most patient riders I think, super chill ;) nothing much phases me, though I'd rather avoid TBs hehe. I'm just frustrated that I ride all these lovely ponies but can't do much with them as they are kids ponies so don't want too much training, and they are all titchy which is fine, but I need something for me.

I'm just amazed at how little I am finding that is suitable when I am being so flexible in everything else. Size is 14-16.2 (though I regularly ride bigger I am small and would rather have a something under 16.2) and then the other limits are good confo and paces and potential.

ihatework

Visit site
Id stick to searching SJ bred horses, I like C line.
Alternatively, slightly outside of the box suggestion, Welsh/Welsh part bred (lighter type with less knee action)?

Kylara

Visit site
Hah! I do quite a bit with the smaller welshies, and they are lovely (working with one who would be a GP prospect if she was five hands taller and less of a mare!) but they have attitude and are more long term training I think. I do keep an eye out and I have seen a couple do well at dressage, but know just how much work they can be. Also they tend to be unbroken or about 9 (the good looking ones anyway!) which is too old and I'd rather let someone else do the breaking work on anything over 12hh ;)

Can you recommend any good places to look for SJ that aren't millions of pounds? My main potential problem with SJ bred is that they tend to have good canters and the trot needs quite a bit of work, which is fine, but a lot get ridden in a style that I no longer ride in.

Oh and I meant to say no offense taken, and I'd be the first to say if I got on something and felt overhorsed. Not that I'd panic or anything, and I'd ride it for the viewing but I know my limitations.

Any thoughts on Spanish PREs? Have been sent a couple of ads now but know next to nothing about them as a breed aside from they can be shorter backed which suits me great.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I think I'm between price brackets really, I'm at top end of RC horses and low level competition horses, and on the cusp of high level amateur/pro horses (which is what I need lol) but the budget is stuck there (absolute max of 7). Another 4k and I don't think I'd be having the problem, but as it is...

I found the exact same as you when I upped my budget from £5k to absolute max of £7.5k...it was amazing how mis-described some of the ones we looked at were. One in particular that stands out was up for £7k but had a trot not dissimilar to sitting on a jackhammer and could only manage a couple of strides of canter (on the wrong lead) before breaking into trot again (and that was with the seller riding him!). I didn't even bother riding him past trot as it was so awful.

I've ended up with a newly broken 5yo who has a temperament to die for...she's only been with us since Saturday but has taken everything in her stride so far and everyone has commented that she already seems like she's been with us for years. Admittedly she was the top end of my budget, but she's been the only one I've seen that truly seemed like she had the potential to reach AM (YO agrees). Best of luck with your search...I know how soul destroying it can be x

Kylara

Visit site
That's exactly it. I'm fine with just broken, I'm fine with a bit wobbly but some people are seriously over pricing their steeds!

It's a difficult bracket I think, and I don't even care about colour, gender etc. There are obviously horses out there that suit (like the one you found!) but it's finding them that's the problem.

Where did you find yours? (says your in Surrey which is next county over from me)

Plenty at 20k though, anyone fancy lending me a tenner? ;)

Luci07

Visit site
That's exactly it. I'm fine with just broken, I'm fine with a bit wobbly but some people are seriously over pricing their steeds!

It's a difficult bracket I think, and I don't even care about colour, gender etc. There are obviously horses out there that suit (like the one you found!) but it's finding them that's the problem.

Where did you find yours? (says your in Surrey which is next county over from me)

Have a look at Emily Taggart eventing and look at Bea. Emily is very upfront in her ad. Bea is well built and in Surrey. I didn't want to offend but Em is very clear about what the mare was like to back so didn't want to cause any surprises!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Am feeling your pain and angst, OP and others.

Am sick to the back teeth of bull***** adverts on FB and elsewhere, which at best are pure fallacy and at worse downright lies.

If only sellers would be honest......... is it too much to ask, really?

There are also a lot of horses being backed late out there: in my day horses were backed at 4 and then by 6 would be expected to be out and doing. I saw one on FB the other day, at 10 years old, still being described as "green" (but at least they were honest!).

Too many horses are under-produced and over-priced.

Too many are being advertised as "safe" when they are deffo NOT. I know, I had something "safe" on LWVTB, it was the most scarey and downright dangerous thing I've ever been stupid enough to climb up on :(

A little honesty is all that is needed, and realistic expectations re. price. If someone has put the hard work in and has produced something which does what it says on the tin and has nice manners, I don't mind paying a good price for it.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

Haha yeah I found plenty around the £15-20k mark that I'd have loved but alas, my bank balance said no. Like you I wasn't fussed about colour or gender, but it reached a point where I was struggling to find things I even wanted to view...not sure if that's a reflection of the market right now or just me being fussy.

My YO put me in touch with David Rumsey in Kent in the end. My girl wasn't advertised as he had planned to bring her on a bit more before selling but after speaking to my YO he said she might suit and I was welcome to go view her if I wanted to. He couldn't have been more accommodating and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending him to others.

Kylara

Visit site
Some new leads! Hooray!
David Romsey doesn't have anything in budget at the mo, though yet again a lovely one at 22k haha.

Off to see a boy on Thurs who sounds very promising (if at top end of budget) and someone just up the road says they have a few in my budget (no idea where they are exactly but seriously close, and of course the one I enquired about was... 23k)

So still seeing plenty I want to view but can't afford, lots I don't want to view but can afford, and am still getting people sending me pictures of foals (that I can't afford and they're FOALS) ARGH

have been offered a beautifully bred westfalian on loan, but is big and green and I'd rather own or compete for owner. I'd even be happy to pay comp fees for it but I don't know if I can have it on the yard unpaid and with no monetary recompense if it does get sold...hmmm.

Oh and saw the cutest little sec A so if all else fails I buy that and make it a tiny weeny dressage star... Not sure I'd go down to well at affiliated comps though... Is there a class for tiny ponies being ridden by tiny adults? ;)

4faults

Visit site
They are out there, I currently have 4 of them all bought for less than your top end budget 😉 If your happy to have unbacked try Vecthom Sporthorses on Facebook. Beautiful horses and Jennifer was great to deal with when I bought my latest.

spacefaer

Visit site
Couple of summers ago, I spent the summer starting a bunch of homebred horses for a showjumper in Shropshire. All well bred and not messed about, with good paces and trainable temperaments. Some very smart ones there. I was working with the 4 yr olds at the time, and he had a whole field more of them - from a couple of foals up to more 4 yr olds.

There weren't silly money either. I can fish out their phone number if they sound interesting (and not too far away!)

cundlegreen

Visit site
Hah! I do quite a bit with the smaller welshies, and they are lovely (working with one who would be a GP prospect if she was five hands taller and less of a mare!) but they have attitude and are more long term training I think. I do keep an eye out and I have seen a couple do well at dressage, but know just how much work they can be. Also they tend to be unbroken or about 9 (the good looking ones anyway!) which is too old and I'd rather let someone else do the breaking work on anything over 12hh ;)

Can you recommend any good places to look for SJ that aren't millions of pounds? My main potential problem with SJ bred is that they tend to have good canters and the trot needs quite a bit of work, which is fine, but a lot get ridden in a style that I no longer ride in.

Oh and I meant to say no offense taken, and I'd be the first to say if I got on something and felt overhorsed. Not that I'd panic or anything, and I'd ride it for the viewing but I know my limitations.

Any thoughts on Spanish PREs? Have been sent a couple of ads now but know next to nothing about them as a breed aside from they can be shorter backed which suits me great.

Claire Gradley on FB has just put a very nice grey SJ mare on her page. I have no idea how she moves as the photos are of her jumping. She's 16 hands, and I thought she looked a very reasonable price. However, I've never seen her in the flesh, but I'm sure Claire could send you videos.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
4faults beet me to it. If you are ok with unbroken try Vecthom Sporthorses on Facebook. I got my girl from her 18 months ago and Jenny was really easy to deal with and everyone who meets L is smitten. If she doesn't have anything right now she is always getting new ones in. Mostly they are well under your budget so you could always pay to have it backed.

chaps89

Visit site
I have limited experience with pre's but share/ride a part-bred lusitano and the owner does a lot of working equitation/dressage (schooled to AM) with him, of which I've been to clinics and shows where there are usually pre's (spanish) and lusitanos (portugese). My feeling is they are (generally speaking!) very hot and sharp, but safe. If they've been started abroad they seem to have more established movements but will have been started (usually) in a pelham and lack the basics. Movement wise when they are allowed to move freely they can move beautifully, but I've found a lot are held too tight in front and then back off/curl up. But beautiful temperaments. And this is just my findings based on really quite limited experience! I wouldn't be opposed to having one for dressage but I would be selective on where I sourced it from/the upbringing/breaking.

Kylara

Visit site
Thanks, that's sort of what I know. The only ones I've come across are when teaching one of my driving friends grooms on a gorgeous Spanish stallion. I was in because I'm good at the basics and he needed an overhaul very tight and in up front. Didn't take long as he was clever and moved much better. Interesting to hear it's not uncommon.

I'm not too bad with hot, just takes a little while to find the nuance with each horse I think as each is hot in a different way!

Off on 2 1/2 hour drive to see a non spooky Krack C offspring today. Looked promising. Bit older but had lots of remedial work, just starting to come out of curling up.

Woke up this morning to a lovely gelding (millennium lines?) in my inbox but no price or location! If close enough and in budget I'll definitely go and see him!
Turns out our field neighbours (big fancy place but very much keep themselves to themselves) are selling some horses and moving. 5 minute walk up the road, so thought I'd pop over and have a look!

Fingers crossed I find something soon otherwise all the prices will be going up post qualifiers!

I'd rather avoid unbroken as temperament under saddle is important and I'd rather not do anything over 12hh haha.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Good luck with today's viewings...keeping fingers firmly crossed for you.

I have no personally experience of them but have just seen Truslers horses pop up on my facebook and saw they seem to have a couple of broken horses for sale at the moment. Might be worth a look as they're fairly local.

Kylara

Visit site
Gelding in Kent was worth the 2.5 hour drive! Lovely lovely horse. Getting a vetting on Monday so fingers crossed. Has xrays from Jan (when he was imported) that vet can see too.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Gelding in Kent was worth the 2.5 hour drive! Lovely lovely horse. Getting a vetting on Monday so fingers crossed. Has xrays from Jan (when he was imported) that vet can see too.

Oh fab. So pleased for you. Looking forward to seeing pics once he's flown through the vetting.

Kylara

Visit site
Horse is having vetting today. I can't get there, but vet said would ring after and then hopefully can send the results. Finding a vet was a nightmare. Loads in the area don't do vettings or don't cover and it was seemingly cheaper at one point to send MY vet there (including a £100 travel cost) than use a local vet. Finally found a practice with a good fee and covered area so went with them. So hoping horse passes!

Only thing I am slightly worried about is learning his Dutch trigger words (!) and retraining myself to ride him a bit due to Dutch leg aids being ever so slightly different. From my viewing I worked out he is trained off inside leg canter transition, so I'll have to discuss with my dressage trainer when she's back from holiday about whether that will be a problem for teaching changes...

He's affable and tries hard, so perfect for dressage. Pretty sure I could take him out basic elem no problems but I'll probably start with a mix of prelim and novice just to get a feel of him out at comps without too much pressure. He just has to pass his vetting! Oh and I'll need to buy a saddle and bridle...with no money as he's top end of budget ;)

Any ideas about what other aids might be a bit different? He's not done a lot, lived at breeders for most of his life, but with one ride on him it was clear that I needed to work out leg position (got rein back from trot instead of leg yield as leg obviously went too far back!) for forwards, backwards, laterals...such fun :D

Kylara

Visit site
Update: vetting fail :(

slightly lame in front on tight circle on the hard and uneven behond and looking at xrays from earlier in year vet saw changes in navicular so thinks not going to be a good fit for high level competitive home due to lameness/changes in both forelegs and at such a young age for such problems :/

The search continues!

Bernster

Visit site
Update: vetting fail :(

slightly lame in front on tight circle on the hard and uneven behond and looking at xrays from earlier in year vet saw changes in navicular so thinks not going to be a good fit for high level competitive home due to lameness/changes in both forelegs and at such a young age for such problems :/

The search continues!

Oh bummer, I was reading the post before and thinking what fun, he sounds great. But a def no no on the vetting there. Interesting that they had x rays but didn't realise they weren't clear (or maybe hoping wouldn't get spotted, I don't know how difficult it is to detect changes). But you know they are out there just now need one that is sound too !

Kylara

Visit site
Vet said xrays weren't great and she'd suggest new ones if it had passed vetting. I'm not so fussed on the borderline flexion tests (lots of comp horses probably struggle to pass those!) but changes in navicular in both fronts at 8 and 2/10th lame on one front is worrying, but I don't know how worrying it is in the grand scheme. Vet did say was too worried it would break down lame in a few months with competitive dressage hence the fail.

Just need some reassurance about changes in navicular at 8 being not good really! As horse was quite nice.