Finding horse

Starbucks

Visit site
Could you get an unbroken 3yo and have it broken? Might get a bit more for your money. Also you could then look a SJ bred but no one will have started them as a SJer.

Kylara

Visit site
Not really, I need something I can take out now. Green is fine but must be broken as I won't do anything over 12hh ;)

The sooner I can find something the better as I really need to be out and about now rather than in two months time.

Nt9

Visit site
Hi, don't know if they would suit but I looked at some lovely Trakehners at Goddington stud, lovely people to deal with, good movement. Due to a change my side unfortunately now over my budget, very quick to respond to queries too.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So sad to read he failed. In your shoes I would definitely walk away though, at top end of your budget the navicular changes sound like a step too far.

Is there a reason you must get out and about competing now? I was similar when I started my horse hunt and just found I was adding unnecessary pressure to an already stressful situation. I'm now aiming to just have fun and get my mare established over summer with the view of doing some dressage over the winter instead.

Kylara

Visit site
Doesn't really have to be competing (but would prefer). I've moved to a slightly fresh area and I'm looking for new teaching and schooling livery clients and I'm not known well in new area so need to get out and about being seen. I haven't bothered affiliating previously so no BD record to help out, which has simply been because of lack of time. Have plenty of it now so good way to get out, have fun and hopefully find some new clients.

There are a couple more I'm looking at. One I'm awaiting new video with walk and some confo pictures, and one I'm waiting on video for (the PRE mentioned earlier in the thread).

It's just so frustrating. And having shelled out for a vetting only for it to fail, I'm a bit tighter on money if I'm to get tack as well.

I'm tempted to just go buy a tiny pony and train it up instead, cheaper and cuter, but probably less helpful in the long run! How many kids want fancy dressage ponies ;)

Last edited:

Micropony

Visit site
Re your last post, the market for fancy dressage ponies probably isn't all that, but I know of quite a few smaller ladies with VERY good money to spend on a small fancy but safe dressage horse around the 15h mark!

Think you're dead right to walk away from the navicular though. My old boy was diagnosed at about the same age and it was game over for him by 14 and a half. He did have complicating factors though.

Best of luck with the search!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Doesn't really have to be competing (but would prefer). I've moved to a slightly fresh area and I'm looking for new teaching and schooling livery clients and I'm not known well in new area so need to get out and about being seen. I haven't bothered affiliating previously so no BD record to help out, which has simply been because of lack of time. Have plenty of it now so good way to get out, have fun and hopefully find some new clients.

There are a couple more I'm looking at. One I'm awaiting new video with walk and some confo pictures, and one I'm waiting on video for (the PRE mentioned earlier in the thread).

It's just so frustrating. And having shelled out for a vetting only for it to fail, I'm a bit tighter on money if I'm to get tack as well.

I'm tempted to just go buy a tiny pony and train it up instead, cheaper and cuter, but probably less helpful in the long run! How many kids want fancy dressage ponies ;)

I know I keep saying this but I honestly feel your pain. I had 2 failed vettings before Poppy and was becoming so frustrated as like you say, each failed vetting hits your budget, not to mention the excitement followed by the crushing disappointment when they don't pass. But hang on in there, the right horse will be out there somewhere.

Kylara

Visit site
ARGH someone has just sent me something that looks like it is made up of all the leftover bits and wants 6k for it. It moves like a rusty slinky -_- I'm going to bed

Kylara

Visit site
Just run through the HH adverts again and only found 2 which sort of looked ok and at the other end of the budget - I could get both! haha. Not holding out a huge amount of hope that if I get video it will show potential, but I've got to keep looking.

Having some truly appalling video quality sent my way 240pp in a dark indoor and a dark pony. How exactly is that supposed to help anyone decide. People trying to sell me PC ponies because my lower height limit is 14hh (yay being small) and I'm getting fed up of finding nice ways to say "no, not suitable" to people who honestly think their horse is capable of minimum adv med dressage.

Spoke to owner of horse that surprisingly failed vetting. And she will be taking him off the market, graded xrays obviously graded by a numpty and she likes him so not a huge deal. He's getting farrier out to see if remedial shoes will help and she'll take him out and about to dressage and have some fun with him and manage him. Shame as was lovely horse, but fab decision by her to take him off market and keep him. Just my luck!

Awaiting my vet to ring me back to chat about a horse by Metall that has had a ddft injury of some sort. Apparently owner's vet said can go back to what it was doing (1* eventing) but decided to find him a dressage home and not jump...I don't know a lot about ddft and want to get to high level dressage so could be a problem...not ripped or torn, but poor foot balance caused it to rub and small lump? injection and sound immediately as well as rebalanced foot. Horse is cheap (mid budget) so bit worrying as to why not going back eventing (a friend knows horse and says it makes everything look easy, very highly placed regularly and xc machine) so think there may be something worrying there...will speak to vet and get their opinion.

Does anyone fancy buying me a gorgeous £25k horse from Germany? ;) I promise you could come and pet it and feed it carrots whenever you want ;)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Is there a reason why you don't want a tb?
Just because of the gorgeous Fig flying the flag for them at diamonds in the rough dressage.

My 8yr old has the start of navicular and coffin joint changes. Was about 1/2tenths lame on a circle. Joint injected and has come sound and.we have kept him barefoot and he has good strong feet.

Kylara

Visit site
I've been looking at everything. The only limits I put in are 14-16.2, 4-7yrs old, and budget (slightly over though on places like HH and HQ). So I've been looking through absolutely everything!

I just don't really like TBs. Every TB I've met has had either chronic illness/lameness problems, or has temperament issues (field, stable, behavioural etc) so I'd rather avoid, but I'm not taking TBs out of the search, just it's a mark against ;) too prone to injuring themselves ;) I also like things a little less fine.

Vetting fail on navicular and 2/10th lame, borderline flexion tests, and a few other things that just added up to a no sadly. The changes seemed quite advanced too - everyone very surprised and sad about it.

Kylara

Visit site
Right, someone has offered me a lovely 5yr old westfalen gelding on loan. Bit green and was going to come schooling, but circumstances changed. They'd prefer to own and loan him to someone rather than sell. Fab breeding and could be great. I'm not too hot on loans, but insisted would be long term (1 or 2 years) and full contract etc which has assuaged my fears a little, but I ride for a job and would rather own or be getting paid ;)

Horse is currently turned away for a month to put on some more weight and have a mental break and I've got the number of the guy he's with (broke him but not schooled, he was taken from schooling yard due some unfortunate circumstances with yard) to chat about what he's like to ride. My main issue is his size - he's 17.3. I'm 5'1"/5'2" and I don't mind schooling horses that big, but I prefer smaller for myself. I'm just a bit worried my size will become limiting factor in his progression, and he should be fab, designed for and moves for dressage. Thoughts?

Also some horrible person has sent me details of the most gorgeous andalusion 4yr old IN SPAIN. It looks so lovely. But it's in SPAIN.

And another, rising 8/just turned 8 but not done much and previous owner overhorsed themselves with green horse. Potential (apparently) and 15.2 ish Irish breeding. Cheap at 3.5k due to being turned out to chill, being green and needing work and he's back into ridden work this week. So I'm a little uncertain. Still waiting on video from horse north of oxford and the PRE near brighton...

be positive

Visit site
I expect you could find a horse to school on for somebody over the next year or two easily enough that would fit your criteria better than a 17.3 will, the owner is getting more out of the deal than you are unless you come to an agreement before taking it on that if they do decide to sell then you have first refusal at a price set now or that you get a share of the value, most people that want to own a horse ridden by someone else will PAY for the work to be put in not expect it done for nothing, it makes poor business sense for you to keep such a huge horse with the possibility of it being taken away just as you start to get somewhere.

I would stop panicking, the right horse will turn up that ticks plenty of boxes, you prefer a smaller horse, the 15.2 may be a good stop gap if he is not quite right, you could bring him on, have some fun and sell later.

Kylara

Visit site
That's what I am thinking RE the westfalen. Just it could be so fabulous and they really really don't want to sell but will have to. Also my worry RE putting in work (for free!) and then having made horse worth more and it being sold and then being horseless again!

If I wasn't looking for a horse I wouldn't be considering it and I'd be happy to school it but wouldn't look for something that big for myself really. I'll ring the jockey and ask how he is to ride, if he rides big then I'll pass (but will let a tall dressage fellow know he's for sale).

Being sent some right rubbish after popping up another fb advert haha. Not sure how much more diplomatic I can be.

It's all going to come down to whether I want something that I'll keep, or if I get something to work up and sell. Either one is doable, and I have space for one for myself at my yard. Horse will be a walking advertisement for me as well so need to make sure horse has potential that I can bring out and do well with.

This horse in Spain is just so gorgeous, someone please tell me that going any further than looking at pictures is silly and I'm being swayed by how pretty the 4yr old 15.2 grey andalusian is in his pictures!

Kylara

Visit site
Westfalen is going to be too big I'm sure for long term, so I'll have to turn it down I think.

Seen a bargain little connie at under 3k so may be a go for a bring on and sell and keep looking for long term horse as well.

Also someone has sent me details and video of a horse - looked at it and looks to me like all 4 suspensories are dodgy as the fetlock joint is almost touching the floor on all legs with each stride :/ Either that or very long pastern bones which is making it look bad. Not my sort of horse anyway, but I don't know whether to say anything or not to the owner :/

Kylara

Visit site
That does look quite nice, thanks, I'll give them a shout for more pics and video.

People really don't help themselves with adverts, either leaving off good quality pictures, vital information, price, location, sex (!) etc. It's a real minefield.

First Flame

Visit site
The horse in the advert would be worth a look for what you are after. I know the seller and remember when it started its schooling thinking it was rather smart and moved very nicely, watched it passage around the field. It is on a Show Jumping yard so would say the schooling may need a little work to get to what you want dressage wise but he was a nice genuine sort. I have an ISH now retired at 21 but competed PSG, schooled GP, so maybe worth looking down that route, she was SJ'ing bred, trot needed work to add suspension but her amazing canter meant she found the canter piri's, tempi changes, canter zigzags a doddle :).

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I think a loan horse is a waste of your resources. Even if you do get it for 2 years they might revoke on that and 2 years is nothing if you've made a lot of progress. If you're keen to buy something now I would say buy a sane Welsh D and bring it on. If it makes the grade, super, if not, you'll have something decent to sell on if it has the right grounding with you. They are cheap to buy as an unfinished article but command a decent price if they are out and doing. Tend to be pretty hardy and sound. They aren't everyone's cup of tea of course and you need to be a rider, but there are some seriously talented athletic ones out there, I've got one! If you're used to As you'll be fine on a D ;)

Kylara

Visit site
I agree with the loan - especially as in two years he's the sort of horse that could very easily be a superstar and worth a whole lot more than at the minute. I may suggest him to a tall guy I know. Sort of horse that could easily get to PSG or even GP with the right training (hence why I have been tempted!) but business head says no.

At least there's more neck on a D! Terrifying when an A has a bad mare day. I quite like a nice D, but the older type and without the knees high movement. Definitely need to go and view a D at least once though!

I've started looking at Ds and connies more. Low end of the budget and probably more pony and "quirky" behaviours in them bvut that's not a problem. I'm leaning towards finding something to bring on and have fun with for a while and then maybe sell on and keep an eye out for a nice competition horse while I'm doing that. Though chatting to my father about it his solution was to "spend the whole 7k on a bunch of cheapy welshies" which wasn't massively helpful!
I've seen two connies and an ISH type all for under 3k that would be suitable for bringing on, and maybe getting some decent medium dressage out of, all with a decent jump in them. Seen a nice looking trakhener, that one mentioned above (emailed then via nfed but awaiting response) and a gorgeous horse that fulfils everything but in Lithuania so nope.

I'm thinking this might be the way to go and keep an eye out for that special something on the side.

First Flame

Visit site
A friend who has ridden Inter1, was an apprentice for Judy Harvey has actually given up on the posh dressage horses even though she has bred a few and is now enjoying Welsh D's! In her words they can move like stink, lol. Although the current one is a bit of a challenge. My first dressage trainer, also had an ISH she trained and rode regularly at GP. The lady with the one on NFED might not be the best at responding to emails, spends more time on the yard and not as social media savvy. She has a stud page OMP Stud which will have more contact details.

Kylara

Visit site
Update. Off up north for 2 hours to see a gelding by millennium (?). Apparently started at 4, turned away, continued at 5 turned away (lack of time apparently) and now back again at 6 and up for sale. Looks nice, has a good jump too, floaty trot. Not the best video in the world but I did get them to make an untacked walk and trot up on hard surface in hand for me. Could be good. Could be awful, looks to have a curly neck in some of the video, but that could just be greenness. Hoping the 2 hour trip there won't be wasted and it will get through to being ridden by me.

Also might be going to see a cheap Connie on weds eve but not confirmed (private seller, not sure how old they are though!).

With Ds I am looking but not many about that fit, was sent one but the riding was so bad I can't even work out if the horse has good paces it was so unbalanced and inconsistent. The video some people think is suitable to send out is just mind boggling.

I'm still waiting on the video of the PRE near Brighton. Shame as looked lovely and I'm not averse to a pretty PRE!

If only that lovely gelding by Krack C hadn't failed his vetting!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes the videos will be rubbish as they nearly always are. I've bought two very talented Ds for £1500 each (both young palomino 15.2 mares). Both were too much for previous owners but actually fairly problem free once with me. The first one died, she was very special and it was tragic bad luck that she died. The second one is probably more talented as a SJ than the first who was a much better mover but both have been excellent fun and very sellable. The current one will event I am sure, although perhaps not with me!

Know what you mean about the necks. I also have a C I'm bringing on for my daughter. I'm 5ft8 and she likes to pop everything with several feet to spare and there is absolutely no where to go, sit up or fall off lol

Kylara

Visit site
Haha! I think if I had more time and could combine it with a holiday ;) I'd go round the C/D breeders I like and buy from the mountain/field and then do everything myself like we did with the driving ponies.

I am tempted to ask them to get a good instructor/dressage rider to ride it and send me video of that. But I also think if people don't get good video then it's not my problem!

Finding a D that moves well and is broken nicely (preferably a gelding if going Welsh!) and is around the 4-6 age is practically impossible. Lots at 9, lots at unbroken :(

At this rate I'll never find anything! I've already missed qualifying for BD summer nats. And I'm not going to score a comp ride without being able to show form, so stuck between rock and hard place!

Tried to convince a friend to send her 12yr old lusitano type to me but too far for them to travel to the yard. Would have been fun as is a solid elem horse but could do with some work to bring up to adv med I think. Is a schoolmaster for friend, but I'd love to help out.

Still, until I find my horse I have tiny pony to sort out and fitten up. Doubt I would get good marks at an unaffiliated intro though, he's only 11.2 and I'm 5'1". Pretty sure judges would have a meltdown ;)

Kylara

Visit site
Update:

Looked at market harborough horse, 2 1/2 hours! - was nice, neck a bit upside down (bit of a head flinger) and has basically been turned out most of his life with the odd bit of riding here and there. Nice temperament, no bum muscle at all! hind feet a little low in the heels. Took the father with me as he has fancy camera (he's been to a few and been told what photo and video to get) but I don't know what he was doing. There was 2 photos both unhelpful, only took a bit of video and of their self proclaimed not great dressage rider on (jumper). I spoke about some unevenness in the trot - uphill and inconsistent so thought potentially green/unbalanced as more one way than the other. So hopped on - stirrups way too long but nm, those single length stirrups with clips so no way to make them shorter. Did a lot of walk, huge cloth on so struggled to reach his side with my tiny legs and he was warmed up in spurs, not massively off the leg, but did feel tired. Fairly amenable ride and had to hold him together a lot which was fine and the unevenness in the tro seemed to go with me holding his balance, green canter but potential. Got in the car to leave and looked at the camera. Flipped out at father as nothing of me riding at all. Even though that is the whole point of him being there - for me to see if looks like it felt. No idea what he was doing as horse was tacked up for a good hour and a half. Could have screamed at him as whole viewing basically wasted, I have no video (other than a bit of rider warming him up but I saw that myself), he's not horsey so his input is useless, I just don't know what he was thinking - I'm furious. A whole day gone to view a horse and absolutely squat pictures and video - nothing of feet which I have insisted he take before and how (and thought he was, but apparently only faffing with the ruddy camera), no legs, nothing at all. I worked this ruddy viewing around his schedule so he could do video - that's the only reason he came and I have absolutely nothing. After riding with uselessly long stirrups and horse being tired I wasn't enthusiastic like I was with the gelding that failed the vetting, but I wasn't thinking no and was really relying on the video that doesn't exist.

Trying to organise viewing for cheapy connie, but it's like pulling teeth, they keep faffing about days and times (pretty sure it's a teen).

Video from the PRE near brighton is in, looks nice. Video of a horse at Godington stud is in and looks nice - will try and organise viewing. Pony stud somewhere or other has stuff so waiting pics, price and vids. A nice grey ISH type has sent some vid, waiting for flatwork - looks nice so probably view that as well.

I'm beginning to lose the plot. I just can't believe I wasted a whole day with nothing to show. I would have been better sticking the camera on record and putting it on a stool.

wkiwi

Visit site
Try Caroline at Eurostud in Kent. My friend bought a lovely horse off her, horse was brilliant (and continues to me) and she was very straightforward to deal with. When I called her and I was looking, she didn't waste my time either.

We got a super mare from there too. It had a quirk, which she was completely honest about, but it was priced to allow for that so we got a bargain. Although she was bought sight unseen (off photo/video) she is a stunner and much admired now that she has been de-quirked (is that a word?).
Your statement that you can't find what you are looking for in your budget though just reflects that normally a quality horse does cost a lot even if it hasn't done anything. The cost of breeding, keeping, and training a young horse until it is 4-6 years of age is usually way more than the prices people are asking, but there are still bargains out there!
P.S. you mention not being able to have one on trial (unless i got that wrong?) but there is no way any one i know with a quality horse would let it go on trial as they can be ruined very quickly (not that i am saying that would be the case with you, but i think it would be more likely that you could keep going back and trying it at its own venue rather than having one on trial).

Kylara

Visit site
The one I wanted on trial was something that had been sold and sent back because it wouldn't settle and chucked everyone off. Went back to dealer/producer and was fine. At 7k I wasn't willing to risk it (along with a couple of confo faults I wasn't too hot about) without a trial to see if it settled or not and then try and get my money back (horse hadn't been refunded, but was back "to be sold" so was there on sales livery, so I wasn't going to be buying something with them saying you could always be refunded and return it, if that hadn't been done already). I wouldn't usually ask for a trial. I'm also a qualified instructor with a tonne of experience, particularly in young horses with a very good livery yard and said horse was a half hour box away.

I'm on the budget cusp of RC horses and amatuer/pros. There are some out there, but either too far away or I don't like the way they move/put together or they have very low heels.

I'm not asking for something at 3k, I've got a healthy budget of 7k, but I seem to be having to sift through an awful lot of very overpriced rubbish, or people trying to flog off cheapy horses (2-3k) that will never be able to do what I want, mainly due to confo problems or poor training. It's all just a bit infuriating really. I'm happy to pay the 7k (or less!) and I'm very quick to decide if the horse is what I'm looking for. The only horses I refuse to even look at are Jazz as they are generally just too hot for my tiny legs to deal with and generally get produced by tall people. Maybe if I bought a baby Jazz I would be fine, but as I've mentioned before I really don't like backing stuff over 12hh.

I'm not 100% averse to unbroken but I really want something that I can get on and train right away, rather than spending the summer breaking it. I'm looking for a competition prospect for myself and I'd like to get it as high a level as possible within dressage. I don't want a schoolmaster, and it doesn't have to have done much at all, just have fairly established w,t,c (as in it knows how to do them when asked) and not look like it was made out of the leftovers.

I'm not looking for a finished product at all, just something that is broken. I might be tempted with a baby at some point now we have lost my retired boy, but I really want something I can sit on and compete at the minute!

I have a feeling I'll end up buying something cheaper to produce and sell whilst still looking for my competition horse. It's just frustrating to go through the horses people send, or to contact people who have ads up on HH, HQ or wherever and get absolutely no response. As I said earlier int he thread, if I had another 4k I'd not be having a problem as I'd be into the am/pro horses and I could go to more people and see a few at a time, as it is I'm having difficulty!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I saw a really nice pb Arab on horse gossip a few days ago I think she had done a season showing and done really well, she looked dark bay/black can't remember how old I will try and have a look and see if I can find it.