Finding horse

vam

Visit site
Try Kimba Stud, I got a nice homebred from there a few months ago who is turning out to be lovely. She gets a lot in to sell, mostly show jumpers but there might be something that will suit. Ring thou as she doesn't keep the website updated.
Have a look at Stafford Barton Stud and Harrington Horses, show jumpers again but might have something.

Kylara

Visit site
Kimba is too far away. I'm happy to travel 2 - 2 1/2 hours away which covers most of the south and the lower midlands, but any further and I really would prefer to avoid unless multiple horses to look at.

I'm off to see a PRE Friday morning and a lovely looking 14.2 mare on Saturday who sounds nice but is being viewed before mine, so hoping not sold by the time it comes round to Sat. Owner (GP dressage rider) is loathe to sell her so will only be going to competent competitive home, which mine would be and I mentioned my location and dressage trainer which she seemed very pleased with so fingers crossed!

Either one could be perfect so hopefully by Saturday evening I'll be complaining about which one to get vetted! But as we all know, sometimes you just don't get on with some horses, so not counting chickens!

I am on that group, so I'll have a look, thanks :) Do you have a link to the pony's ad?

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I can't get a link but this is the ad. I think she might be too far away. Maybe not what you want but she caught my eye.

]
A928BD2F-D700-44CB-B97E-10FE0538D15C_zpsnvrlyhvn.png

Kylara

Visit site
I saw that pally! Been awaiting membership of that group for an age though, be nice to see video.

Thanks for that link, I've asked for video.

I'm hoping that soon my problem will be choosing between lots of lovely horses about where to send the vet for the vetting.

Chloeap

Visit site
Ive been following this thread but haven't had much useful to say. I have just seen this on Facebook, not sure if any good..

Kylara

Visit site
Those are too far away unfortunately. Look nice though.

So update again!

Drove towards Hickstead area to see the baby PRE but got stuck on M25 so took 2 hours instead of 1 1/2. Lovely part of the country! Anyway, turned up and said PRE was tied up all plaited and looking decent (had actually been brushed) very pretty and friendly. Had a chat about him and how long he's not been in work for (due to illness of rider) and it's been a few months. He didn't look too bad, just a bit porky really, had good looking feet and very chilled for a baby horse! Her friend helped tack up and hopped on with no problems at all, wandered to the school and my goodness a PRE with a fabulous walk! Not a single issue which we were expecting due to being unfit and not in work, he was foot perfect in her riding him w, t, c. Looked good, lovely and straight, good paces for unfit out of condition horse. Happy he wasn't going to explode I hopped on and had a play, struggled to get canter a few times but he was getting tired and my legs are much shorter but he worked it out very quickly, and got it second attempt on the other rein. Very nice and worked into the contact, if a little inconsistent. I don't think I looked too ridiculous on him (15.3hh) and he seemed very amiable, but by the time I'd had a 10 minute play (he's had 10 minutes of her rider first) he was totally pooped poor thing. Going to look at the video and pictures and have a think as he'd need bringing back into work so probably not up for more than unaff, but he is quite eye catching - gelded at 3/4 so has a lovely big neck. His dad was a GP stallion and his sister is doing very well. And the best thing is due to owners illness and him being out of work he is underpriced for sale to a good home, so under budget by a bit. Would fit into both long term produce and keep and shorter term produce and sell depending on how he goes when fitter.

Going to see 14.2 mare tomorrow afternoon who looks very very eye catching so could also be perfect. Will have to look and see, but for once I am not disappointed after a viewing! Just trying to keep sensible head on as PRE horses are just so ridiculously pretty. Fingers crossed I will have a hard decision about which one to vet tomorrow! Shame I can't afford them both!

Last edited:

Kylara

Visit site
Update again!

Went to see the 14.2 today. Was nice, but I wasn't hugely fussed and needed a fair bit of straightness work doing (nothing major though) but from the sounds of it the other lady who viewed was seriously in very so I passed on her. However as I was coming to the end of riding the GP rider suggested she may have something else suitable so out popped a tall man on a small grey Connie, cute as a button. First time he had ridden and horse only arrived the night before! He was fun to ride, well put together but not engaged or connected at all, so very much a project. We had a chat about him and the three of us were discussing him, very curly and deep with neck/head (muscle in wrong place and no bum!) but very soft mouth, obviously been hung on to in front and lots of kicking! GP said horse had come over having jumped and hunted so explained a lot!
Really lovely canter, and could be special after some retraining work to get him relaxed in the neck and engaged behind.

Off to see cheap Connie tomorrow so I'm going to have to work out what is best as everything I am interested enough in to get vetted needs some sort of work ;)

Somewhat torn now and maybe more so after tomorrow morning! Both I like from the last couple of days are grey! And they would both stand out in a crowd, so that's not going to help!

Still nothing like the KWPN that failed the vetting though :(

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm, nice that they are getting better but I'd hang out for that one with the wow factor who really gets you. You know you've had it with the kwpn, they are out there honest. I waited for mr right, and I'm so glad I did!

Kylara

Visit site
I could do I guess, but I might be waiting an awful long time. The KWPN was lovely, but I very rarely get a massive wow with a horse, I very laid back and patient and like all horses really! Also I'm not averse to getting one to produce and sell on in 6-8 months whilst keeping eye out for an amazing one. Both of the greys are really lovely and could be very special. The horse needs to be a walking advertisement for me as well so anything I get will be a little bit special. If only one of our driving ponies was a bit bigger, she would be a GP contender hands down! And she is amazing, definitely my wow pony (or maybe because she loves me best of all hehehe). I don't mind not being wowed anymore, it will make no difference to how horse is treated or trained and many you grow to love or turn into a wow horse with a bit of work!

Still at least the search is going better! I can't believe it is taking so long, I was originally hoping to have something in time to qualify for summer nationals!

Kylara

Visit site
Update number bajillion!

Saw the cheap connie today. Bit of a palaver, owner's instructor was riding for viewing, horse had a bit of an issue with canter (nothing malicious just looked uncomfortable) took saddle off, owner went to get lunging gear and I felt over legs - stifle on one side seemed ever so slightly swollen (minimal) and on lunge was ever so slightly short on right canter but nothing major, or noticeable unless really looking for it. Owner then piped up that saddle fitter had come and changed the shims on the prolite around which explained the saddle moving a bit, two instructors refitting the saddle later pony working "as usual" and much better, no canter problems. I hopped on, pretty nice if a little green in the canter. Definitely some potential, definitely a produce and sell pony. Pretty as well. Only issue I could see (after saddle dilemma sorted!) was looked to have aural plaques on ear tips and seemed very itchy (could just be wanting a bath, didn't look like SI, but itchier than I'd expect).

New dilemma - seen a 3yr old KWPN. Lunged, bitted and looks absolutely GORGEOUS. Moves with a great hind leg action and elevation. Has weltmeyer and donnerhall in the breeding (I absolutely adore donnerhall), albeit at the far side of a 4 gen pedigree. Not been sat on yet though. And it's in Norfolk. It is in budget though.......ARGHHHHH. It's violating one of my 3 musts (unbroken) but it is just sooooo lovely looking, I don't know what to do, I don't really want to break something that big myself, but paying someone would take it out of budget. ARGH. Also NORFOLK. I hate getting to Norfolk, it's just so hard to get to.

Thinking the PRE or the connie from yesterday might be worth vetting. But not sure if I'd prefer something that needs bringing back into work and fittening, or something that needs retraining and engaging over the back as well as getting the fat off. It's just so hmmmm, especially as connie from yesterday is unpriced as of yet. Maybe I can convince the budget to get both ;)

Kylara

Visit site
Sensible head on now. Unbroken 3 year old is out. Probably yesterday Connie is out due to aural plaques and not sure about the itching. Will review video and decide. Would be a work up flat and jump and sell, just fairly hard in the mouth and curly in the neck, definitely a teen/small adult PC/RC pony.

I'm at a loss about the PRE. Trying to set aside thoughts of how nice it would be to have a PRE, the showing classes and extra BD league and think about the horse. Dad and sister doing very well and he seemed very amiable. Decent paces and a good walk.

I'm looking for something fit and ready to go but haven't found anything since the fail horse so contemplating the PRE as is just unfit but walker daily and 5/6 rides a week mainly hacking should sort that in 4-6 weeks. Disconnected Connie is similar, fitter but needs retraining and lots of engagement work and relaxation in the neck, probably also 4-6 weeks similar to the PRE but with a different focus.

Need to watch the videos on big screen to get some objectiveness but I just don't know. Seen nothing suitable in the last week and going to trawl the website ads again in the hope that more will have been put on.

My friend who owns the failed horse has a gorgeous 3 yr old in, but I haven't even asked for price as I guess at least double the budget.

It's all getting a bit depressing to be honest.

Kylara

Visit site
Thanks FF, have asked for video.

I'm thinking it doesn't even have to be the right horse anymore, just a horse with four legs that move properly and is fit! Haha

I'm leaning towards the PRE or the surprise pony at the GP rider's yard (need to ring and discuss price though). There's a lovely horse at Godington stud but over budget, might go visit anyway but need to have think about budget and whether they would drop by £1k or more :/

Kylara

Visit site
Update 700984

I have decided to get the PRE vetted. Chatting to a friend this afternoon and came to the conclusion that probably won't be spectacular but will be nice enough. And of everything I've seen save that lovely KWPN the easiest to get going as just needs fitness and if he doesn't work out can sell on for a profit after 6-8 months. Also he is pretty and will stand out in a good way so good advertisement for my business. Of course all depends he gets through a vetting! Need to find a vet and get it sorted and of course my one holiday of the year starts on Friday! A week in Italy so I would really like to have everything sorted without having to ring people from the middle of nowhere in Italy.

On the KWPN that failed, he has had remedial shoeing and is 100% sound now and vet thinks will be for a very long time now balance has been changed. Shame about the changes in the navicular, but so pleased he is fully sound. She has in the most amazing gelding at the minute but he is well over budget at 18k! Totally worth it though so someone will have an outstanding horse!

Holding

Visit site
Following this with interest as I am looking for something similar but with a smaller budget (max 6k). I also need something bigger - at least 16.2hh really. I am not ready to buy right now but keeping an eye out and I can't see anything at all within my budget that I like. Best of luck with the vetting for the PRE and do let us know how it turns out.

Kylara

Visit site
Haha that's the thing. The girl who owned the cheap Connie was amazed I was struggling with such a 'huge' budget. There are such an awful lot of not very good horses out there. Or they are too far away! Seen lots I just don't like, way they move, put together odd, just feel like nah.

Quite a few bigger ones out there. 16.2 is my max for long term personal as I'm 5'1" with short legs and long body. Hence why I ride 11.2 ponies and don't look massively odd! Unfortunately there isn't much demand for high level dressage ponies at 12hh!

Holding

Visit site
Absolutely - I keep seeing posts on here about everyone's super cheap bargain horses and I have no idea where they are all finding them. As I said, I'm sitting on my hands atm as I have the horse budget but need to sort a new job out first, but there's nothing I fancy going to see even if I was ready. Let me know if you come across anything nice but too big for you!

Kylara

Visit site
I have managed to find a vet yes. Though mine were trying to convince me to use them and pay £100 on top for travel :O being vetted tomorrow afternoon. Hoping it passes, though I'm worried about how to saddle it. Is porky so will lose weight, and being a PRE will have more wither muscles than WB so saddle fit can really affect how they move - if too much pressure on the muscles around the withers they go really tight, so probably need a more cutaway design or a saddle where the pressure sits lower on the sides than on a WB! It's the weight loss aspect I'm more debating about - as do I buy an ok saddle and then change it, or buy a nice one that fits and hope I can get it reflocked to fit when he loses weight? Trying not to think too much though as might fail the vetting! haha (I have become a hardened horse searcher now!).

At least I have the tiny pony to play with and a friends baby NF.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Absolutely - I keep seeing posts on here about everyone's super cheap bargain horses and I have no idea where they are all finding them. As I said, I'm sitting on my hands atm as I have the horse budget but need to sort a new job out first, but there's nothing I fancy going to see even if I was ready. Let me know if you come across anything nice but too big for you!

They come up when you are looking for interest but not needing, usually. Hence I have more than one bargain eating me out of house and home ;)