AshryOTTB

Visit site
She should have a passport. If she's direct from the breeder it should be easy for them to get one which makes me wonder why they haven't??
woman says they just never got round to it, they are a reputable breeder so i am inclined to believe her. She is happy to get one and has offered to do so, or is it best if i do it and get it in my name. I understand passports take a while to arrive, should i hold off on viewing until the passport arrives?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Potentially. To be totally legal and above board with buying and transporting a horse over six months of age, you need one.

Is this horse from a professional breeder, who should definitely be on the ball with that sort of thing, or homebred, in which case it could be totally innocent and the breeder is spacey/bad at life/paperwork and didn't get around to it?

AshryOTTB

Visit site
Potentially. To be totally legal and above board with buying and transporting a horse over six months of age, you need one.

Is this horse from a professional breeder, who should definitely be on the ball with that sort of thing, or homebred, in which case it could be totally innocent and the breeder is spacey/bad at life/paperwork and didn't get around to it?
Its a family business, so not a large professional breeder, but still has a good reputation and positive reviews.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Just found out that she hasnt got a passport, she is microchipped though, is this a problem?
From BHS
It is a legal requirement that a horse is sold with its passport. The BHS strongly advises that buyers do not purchase the horse if it does not have a passport. The owner of the horse must obtain a passport for the horse before it is sold. If you decide to purchase a horse without a passport, an offence will be committed if the horse is then transported to its new yard without a passport.
full page here https://www.bhs.org.uk/horse-care-a... time of purchasing,the passport to the buyer.

Reactions: tda

AshryOTTB

Visit site
From BHS
It is a legal requirement that a horse is sold with its passport. The BHS strongly advises that buyers do not purchase the horse if it does not have a passport. The owner of the horse must obtain a passport for the horse before it is sold. If you decide to purchase a horse without a passport, an offence will be committed if the horse is then transported to its new yard without a passport.
full page here https://www.bhs.org.uk/horse-care-and-welfare/horse-passports/horse-passport-faqs/#:~:text=At the time of purchasing,the passport to the buyer.
Thank you, is it ok to view while she doesnt have a passport, and come back to collect when passport has arrived? Will i need the passport for vetting?

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Thank you, is it ok to view while she doesnt have a passport, and come back to collect when passport has arrived? Will i need the passport for vetting?
I'd think viewing would be fine, as long as seller agrees its their responsibility to get a passport asap. I always ask the vet to check the passport details against the chip and make sure both match the age of the teeth. Not sure if its an absolute requirement but certainly a good idea.

AshryOTTB

Visit site
I'd think viewing would be fine, as long as seller agrees its their responsibility to get a passport asap. I always ask the vet to check the passport details against the chip and make sure both match the age of the teeth. Not sure if its an absolute requirement but certainly a good idea.
so ok to view, but i should wait until passport has arrived to vet?

maya2008

Visit site
I don't view without passport. Who has a horse chipped and doesn't have a passport? Vet sends off documents for you...

Our project came to old owners without a passport but with a chip. Turned out when they applied his had been lost. So the one we have now is a replacement.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Worth checking whether your vet would do the vetting without a passport? I don’t know, never tried! Remember it’s also proof of vaccination history if that’s important to ether you, your insurer or the yard you’d be moving her to?

JBM

Visit site
Mine needed a replacement passport and I needed to redo all his vaccinations because I had no proof he had them done

Caol Ila

Visit site
I've given OP a few thoughts in a PM, but thinking about it some more, I am not 100% sure I would bother buying a two-year old from a breeder without a passport. It definitely adds faff and delays your purchase, and it's a two-year old. Unless it is an exceptionally rare breed in the UK or has exceptionally good breeding (is it related to Valegro?), there are a lot of nice two-year olds out there. Who it becomes as an adult will depend on you anyway.

I sound like a hypocrite, I know, because my Highland had some passport faff, but he was feral until he was about eight. WHW got him gelded, microchipped, passported when he was roughly weanling/yearling age (along with the rest of the herd). Then the passports of circa 100 horses apparently ended up in a jumble somewhere with the original owner, who'd let the herd become feral and multiply unchecked in the first place. The guy is hardly the poster child for responsible horse keeping or breeding.

The horse, for his part, was a 10-year old mouse dun Highland being sold at half the price of a normal, 10-year old domestic mouse dun Highland. I had reasons, lol.

A two-year old being sold by her breeder? Who just hasn't bothered for two years? Who, as maya said, somehow got her chipped but didn't bother with the passport? Meh.

Last edited:

AshryOTTB

Visit site
Agree with caol Ila, a responsible breeder does not NOT get a passport for a pony they have bred. Can you be sure it's one of theirs.
Why pay for microchipping and not do passport details all the same time? Sounds fishy to me - what breed is it?
IDX with Silver Jasper bloodlines, definitely bred by them, they sent pictures of her with mum as a foal.

Caol Ila

Visit site
In that case, I would shop around a bit. I don't know anything about ID bloodlines, but I do know that horses with ID in them are plentiful in this country.

If the breeder gets their act together and gets a passport, you could always view it then. But in the meantime, you could have also found and bought something else. Two-year olds are a crapshoot anyway.

My only personal experience with passporting a youngster that I bred was with the British Association for the Purebred Spanish Horse. They required you to have your foal microchipped and your paperwork in by the time it was six months old, or they would not have been happy. I don't remember what the consequences were, but they made it pretty clear that I'd better do it by six months, or else...

Besides that, even as someone who never bred before (nor actually wanted to), it was bloody obvious that he needed a passport ASAP, especially as I planned on selling him.

Last edited:

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
In that case, I would shop around a bit. I don't know anything about ID bloodlines, but I do know that horses with ID in them are plentiful in this country.

If the breeder gets their act together and gets a passport, you could always view it then. But in the meantime, you could have also found and bought something else. Two-year olds are a crapshoot anyway.
I agree. I'm still suspicious as to why no passport. My concern is that the 2 yo has parents or parent that may have an issue, pssm etc and they are hoping you fall in love, buy it, then find out its parentage when you finally get the passport. That's the cynic in me. Probably totally off course!!

TheMule

Visit site
The breeder needs to get a passport before they can sell the horse. Presumably it won’t have any verified breeding in it, that could be an issue for you? Especially if you want to sell on in the future.
£1500 is very cheap for a 2yr old horse. I would expect corners to have been cut (as proven by the lack of passport) with trimming, worming, vaccinating etc at that money, or it has a vice/ defect

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
The breeder needs to get a passport before they can sell the horse. Presumably it won’t have any verified breeding in it, that could be an issue for you? Especially if you want to sell on in the future.
£1500 is very cheap for a 2yr old horse. I would expect corners to have been cut (as proven by the lack of passport) with trimming, working, vaccinating etc at that money, or it has a vice/ defect

My eyes skimmed over that earlier post. Gosh, that is cheap for a two-year old.

nagblagger

Visit site
If you still want to view prior to passport, get the microchip details and do a search. I cannot imagine a vet microchipping and not completing the passport form. When they get a passport it will be a 'replacement' one so may not be accurate...eg age.

AshryOTTB

Visit site
If you still want to view prior to passport, get the microchip details and do a search. I cannot imagine a vet microchipping and not completing the passport form. When they get a passport it will be a 'replacement' one so may not be accurate...eg age.
how would i get microchip details?

JBM

Visit site
You could ask around I know a few people who just have microchip scanners and you could definitely call your vet if you know them well and ask to borrow it

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not sure if has been mentioned already and I've missed it, but no pro transport will should take her without a passport. It's not legal in any case to travel a horse without a passport, though some private owners do risk it, but no reputable pro would.

Though it is odder than an odd thing that a decent breeder hasn't already passported one they've bred and would stand by.

Last edited: