AshryOTTB

Visit site
Assuming you've been given the correct details, have a good dig. Find out what the sire has been tested for etc
First thing i did was a deep dive into breeder, sire and dam. Everything is good, which is why i believe there is a genuine reason for no passport. I just want to know how to proceed. If the breeder gets the passport in my name would i be able to take her without having the physical passport?

CMcC

Visit site
Of course you could take without the Passport. But it is not legal for a horse to be sold without a passport. So it is a question if you are prepared to take the risk. And whether the yard owner where you are going will accept the horse without a passport.

AshryOTTB

Visit site
Of course you could take without the Passport. But it is not legal for a horse to be sold without a passport. So it is a question if you are prepared to take the risk. And whether the yard owner where you are going will accept the horse without a passport.
would she be seen as "having no passport" though if i did as i suggested above, and apply for passport in my name

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It seems very odd that the horse is microchipped and not passported as they are usually doneby the vet at the same time. I wouldn't be convinced it was chipped until I heard the scanner beep and read the number.

nagblagger

Visit site
by details do you mean sire/dam? i have been told them by the breeder (dont really want to post on here incase seller sees) yes i am paranoid
No, i mean they should have the microchip company and microchip number registered so you could check when it was inserted, who by and registered name etc. Cross check it has been actually microchip and the details they have told you are the same.
I would have concerns about this situation, as others have said what renown breeder would do this.

Gloi

Visit site
I think if it was me I would be hearing alarm bells and carry on looking. You can always go back to this one later when they have their act together if she hasn't sold, and youngsters aren't selling particularly quickly at the moment.

AshryOTTB

Visit site
It seems very odd that the horse is microchipped and not passported as they are usually doneby the vet at the same time. I wouldn't be convinced it was chipped until I heard the scanner beep and read the number.
if i get vet to check chip and get passport in my name, would i then be able to take her home? or would i have to wait until i have the physical passport?

Gloi

Visit site
Legally you need the passport with the horse when travelling. Many don't though and the chance of being caught is slim.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Does seem a bit odd- it’s not like it’s even new legislation and they’ve been caught out….even I’m up to speed with it!!

There’s really no justifiable reason not to have passported- if you’re selling you need to, if you’re keeping it you need to. If you’re vaccinating it you need to.

CMcC

Visit site
i will be transporting

you seem determined to buy, despite all the information you have been given. So go ahead and do it. As you have been told It is illegal for this person to sell you a horse without a physical passport (not one that will be applied for in your name). But you keep asking if this, if that. Go ahead and buy with the knowledge that it is not legal. It may have consequences for you, it may not. Your choice. Stop asking.

maya2008

Visit site
Fixed Penalty Noticed or fines of up to £5k for failing to comply with passport legislation. Is it really worth the risk, to transport this 2yo to your yard without one?

AshryOTTB

Visit site
you seem determined to buy, despite all the information you have been given. So go ahead and do it. As you have been told It is illegal for this person to sell you a horse without a physical passport (not one that will be applied for in your name). But you keep asking if this, if that. Go ahead and buy with the knowledge that it is not legal. It may have consequences for you, it may not. Your choice. Stop asking.
I really don't appreciate your rudeness, I "keep asking" because i am unsure of legalities, google is very unclear and instead of answering my questions all i have is people telling me that the breeder is a dodgy dealer. I have stated multiple times that i trust the seller and do not want to discuss, issues with parents ect. Thank you to the many helpful people here that have been patient with my lack of knowledge in this area. I have cancelled the viewing

I'm sorry if i came across as obstinate, i really was just trying to determine what was allowed. This forum is for helping eachother, not for telling people to "stop asking" when all they are trying to do is gain a better understanding.

Gloi

Visit site
Have you got a reason ,that you are not saying, that you trust this seller?
You were coming across as someone not used to buying, and being not used to buying you would not be used to the many dubious practices of sellers.

AshryOTTB

Visit site
Have you got a reason ,that you are not saying, that you trust this seller?
You were coming across as someone not used to buying, and being not used to buying you would not be used to the many dubious practices of sellers.
Very close friend bought her horse from them, he is half brother to the 2yo i was going to view. The owners of the company are mother and daughter, mother is older now and not so up-to-date with current procedures, the daughter however is brilliant. I have been contacting the daughter re the filly, however it was the mother that bred her, i suspect that is why there is no passport.

You're correct i am new to buying, and i appreciate your concern, maybe i should have better explained the full situation from the beginning. Anyway the search continues!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've given OP a few thoughts in a PM, but thinking about it some more, I am not 100% sure I would bother buying a two-year old from a breeder without a passport. It definitely adds faff and delays your purchase, and it's a two-year old. Unless it is an exceptionally rare breed in the UK or has exceptionally good breeding (is it related to Valegro?), there are a lot of nice two-year olds out there. Who it becomes as an adult will depend on you anyway.

I sound like a hypocrite, I know, because my Highland had some passport faff, but he was feral until he was about eight. WHW got him gelded, microchipped, passported when he was roughly weanling/yearling age (along with the rest of the herd). Then the passports of circa 100 horses apparently ended up in a jumble somewhere with the original owner, who'd let the herd become feral and multiply unchecked in the first place. The guy is hardly the poster child for responsible horse keeping or breeding.

The horse, for his part, was a 10-year old mouse dun Highland being sold at half the price of a normal, 10-year old domestic mouse dun Highland. I had reasons, lol.

A two-year old being sold by her breeder? Who just hasn't bothered for two years? Who, as maya said, somehow got her chipped but didn't bother with the passport? Meh.

This sums up my feelings really.

I bought my boy from his breeder. Not only was he chipped and had a passport, but they paid for the change of ownership details to ensure his passport was up to date.

Without a passport, how do you know his/her breeding?

AshryOTTB

Visit site
This sums up my feelings really.

I bought my boy from his breeder. Not only was he chipped and had a passport, but they paid for the change of ownership details to ensure his passport was up to date.

Without a passport, how do you know his/her breeding?
Was told dam and sire by seller

Back to the original question, how long can i expect a vetting to take. Not looking for a precise time, more a rough guideline so i can factor in travel times ect.

Last edited:

AshryOTTB

Visit site
I really need an approximation, as i dont drive so will have to get train, taxi or ask for a lift. Is 1 hour about normal?

Gloi

Visit site
I really need an approximation, as i dont drive so will have to get train, taxi or ask for a lift. Is 1 hour about normal?
The best thing you could do would be to find an experienced local horse person with transport who would you could pay for their time and petrol to give a second independent opinion on the horse when you go to view.

AshryOTTB

Visit site
The best thing you could do would be to find an experienced local horse person with transport who would you could pay for their time and petrol to give a second independent opinion on the horse when you go to view.
already in contact with very knowledgeable YO who will be helping me, would be nice to have an approximation though in case she cant attend. Also to stop me stressing so much about not leaving enough time, what is the longest a viewing could take?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The vet you choose for the vetting will be able to tell you how long they’ll take.

But how can you transport the horse if you don’t drive? 🤷🏻‍♀️