Found a cat

chaps89

Visit site
Stanley has had a test for feline leukaemia and hiv and is negative which is good news.
He's also had his first vaccination and his nails clipped.
Funnily enough when he went in for the blood test they told us he was well behaved which surprised us slightly.
When I picked him up from having his jab it slipped out that he was a lot better behaved that visit than the last one. Naughty kitty.
In a slightly mean way, it has been quite entertaining watching him adapt to life without talons as claws - he got a bit of a shock the first time he went to the scratching post!

And kittens have had their first vaccine today so we will be able to visit them soon! They are very striking colours now and playful so that is very exciting.

Spying on a cat outside
Screenshot_20201008-200325_Gallery.jpg

Telling me I'm taking too long to get his toys out for play time

Screenshot_20201008-201248_Gallery.jpg

chaps89

Visit site
@Amymay it's something we've done with all our cats, even our outdoor ones when we lived somewhere suitable for them to roam.
Though more of an indoor/house cat thing I think, where they're not naturally wearing them, they can start to curl under if you're not careful and his were getting very long and sharp.
We did cheat and get the vet do it as he was going in anyway and suspect he might be a bit feisty about it.

chaps89

Visit site
Today we met our kitten, who is as yet unnamed! I think he might keep us on our toes, but I'm hoping him and Stanley will get on well and enjoy playing together

He's the grumpy looking kitty in the middle
Screenshot_20201011-131213_Gallery.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Shady

Visit site
Gorgeous:):)
I know iv'e seen the photo but that was great to see them in a video playing . They look a super size and are clearly full of energy . I would actually say the lilac tabby is the more dominant there.
I think you are going to have so much fun.........laughs evily and then remembers the gremkitties
Can't wait to see more updates Chaps xxxxxx

chaps89

Visit site
Poor Stanley doesn't like fireworks :( he stopped asking for dinner and hid under our bed. Now curled up on my feet bless him. He isn't awful like I've seen/heard some pets can be but definitley isn't a happy bunny (or, more accurately, cat)
My old boy was totally indifferent to them so this is new for me.
Luckily kitten isn't arriving until the weekend as we weren't sure how Stanley would react to fireworks and the breeder said his cats are unbothered and we wanted to make sure kitten had a good first experience/learnt there was nothing to worry about.
We already have Feliways plugged in, in advance of kitten arrival.
For next year are the firework cd's (or presumably some sort of modern equivalent on youtube/Spotify) worth trying for de-sensitisation ahead of firework season?

Screenshot_20201103-204636_Gallery.jpg

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Poor Stanley. :(

I don't know if my fireworks Dvd + old cassette tape, that I've used to train my bitches, have also helped some of my cats at same time. But they have helped my bitches, some of them more, others less, but they've always made some difference in the right direction.

chaps89

Visit site
Thankyou @FinnishLapphund we shall look into those for next year. Luckily he got better as the week went on which is encouraging.

As yet unnamed kitten is here!
He travelled really well. Took him 10 minutes or so to venture out of the carrier, he cried a little bit then set out exploring and there's been no stopping him since.
Stanley is a bit perturbed about being shut in the lounge but is being a good boy.
A massive thankyou to @Shady who has been so helpful with sharing advice and reassurance

Screenshot_20201108-141320_Gallery.jpg

So he's not missed out, Stanley took a while to understand to understand this, now he has no trouble!

NinjaPony

Visit site
What a cutie! He looks like lots of fun! That toy looks great- do you mind me asking what it’s called? Looks like it would be perfect for entertaining my cat when she arrives!

Shady

Visit site
OMG Chaps, he is adorable :):)
A fellow Gremkitty for sure and already looking really comfortable with you .
Is he blue 'smoke' point Chaps or just blue ? I thought seal before but he definitely looks more blue there
He's so lovely and i'm really happy for you both. xxxxx

I shall expect regular updates and photo's ;):) xxxxx

chaps89

Visit site
@NinjaPony It's a cat kicker toy. It came from Pets at Home (along with most of the rest of the toys they sell... ?? ) although I can't seem to see it on their website anymore but there are lots of different ones about.

@Shady You've lost me on the colours I'm afraid ? his papers say lilac point I'm sure, he's what I think of as a traditional Siamese colour but I'm not yet familiar with posh cat colours so you may need to educate me ? His body is cream and his ears and tail are grey, his legs are more brown.
His tail in particular is very striking, like it's been dunked in paint! (I wanted to call him dipstick because of it, that then changed to Rodney (only fools and horses reference) but we're not liking that for him so still name searching.

Eta- there are more piccies in the photo thread in club house for those who haven't seen :)

Shady

Visit site
@NinjaPony It's a cat kicker toy. It came from Pets at Home (along with most of the rest of the toys they sell... ?? ) although I can't seem to see it on their website anymore but there are lots of different ones about.

@Shady You've lost me on the colours I'm afraid ? his papers say lilac point I'm sure, he's what I think of as a traditional Siamese colour but I'm not yet familiar with posh cat colours so you may need to educate me ? His body is cream and his ears and tail are grey, his legs are more brown.
His tail in particular is very striking, like it's been dunked in paint! (I wanted to call him dipstick because of it, that then changed to Rodney (only fools and horses reference) but we're not liking that for him so still name searching.

Eta- there are more piccies in the photo thread in club house for those who haven't seen :)
Lilac eh? ooh he's a dark one then. Blue or lilac , both are fabulous colours and it matters not a jot anyway , he is perfect and Mr B breeder has done a super job.
I am so not going to get into colour genetics :D. I am crap( you need Meowy catkin I reckon) and would have to pore over both parents pedigrees, but for anybody interested in 'smoke' this would be possible if there was silver present in the line and would have to be in one of the parents. Because little 'almost gremkitty' is a solid point he would be a smoke but if he was a tabby point he would be a silver.
DaDah. xxxxx

chaps89

Visit site
Mr B Breeder has done a fab job indeed.
We were worried when we went to collect kitten as he legged it, whereas the one who legged it last time was all over us ? but we're so happy with him, he's a cracker.
I do have a 5 generation full pedigree for him ;) not that any of it really means much to me in all honesty. One of his pieces of paperwork says lilac tonkinese point, I'm not sure if that makes any difference? I find colours fascinating but it does sadly go over my head once it gets technical. Thankfully for me I just think he's pretty and an unusual colour and that is good enough for me ?

Poor Stanley isn't loving life, so we're spending lots of time with both cats, playing and just chilling.

In the meantime I have some interesting videos to share.
He has such odd behaviour with 1 of his toys. And only 1.
First time he showed this behaviour was with a fake mouse on a teaser stick. The mouse came off the stick and he showed very little interest in it then and didn't show the same behaviour.
He then showed the same behaviour with the replacement mouse on a stick and always has done just with that 1 toy.
Today mouse on a stick has gone to kitten (for some scent swapping) and Stanley showed the same behaviour with his feather toy. He loves his feather toy but hasn't ever been like this with it before.
Normally he miaows as well but he wasn't really doing that tonight.
Any thoughts on what he's doing/why? I've never seen a cat do anything like it before.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Do you mean the bit where he has the feather in his mouth and is walking around with it? If so then that's similar behaviour to what big cats do with a kill (eg an antelope). The will pick it up by the neck and walk with the rest of the kill dragging between their front legs. I suppose domestic cats would also do the same with rabbits, squirrels etc.

chaps89

Visit site
Yeah, when he walks around with it, his back is arched and he sort of humps? It's a very odd movement, not a normal walk and he does it even if he isn't dragging the stick behind him.
Stanley (and Huffle) the lion cat(s) ? ? glad it's not just him!

Shady

Visit site
Yeah, when he walks around with it, his back is arched and he sort of humps? It's a very odd movement, not a normal walk and he does it even if he isn't dragging the stick behind him.
Stanley (and Huffle) the lion cat(s) ? ? glad it's not just him!
Yes it's 'his' kill and everybody else had better know that. They get a bit fruity too which you can also see.
I'd watch the kitten around him if he's in possession of his prey.
You'll find the kitten will do the same thing if he's particularly taken with a certain toy. It's usually fur or feathers but I did have a slinky kitten once who was obsessed with a knitted snake.
If you find them getting too OTT over any toy take it away if they are in the same space and best to take away if aggression occurs anyway.

Those fishing line furry things are brilliant . I use them every single time when I bring newbies into the house but I never leave the cats with them as what you are seeing happens every time. Best for you to hold it and get them both to play with it back and forth, slowly bringing them closer together as time passes. Hold on tight tho as once grabbed the prey instinct kicks in !

On a different note.... You have lilac point Tonkinese in your line! This is a mix of Burmese and Siamese. Actually I can see the mix clearly in the female kitten. and the Siamese in yours. Lovely.
Actually I might just pull up kitties pedigree just to be nosy !
xx

chaps89

Visit site
Stanley just did it to me. He was on the arm of the sofa, I was on the seat of the sofa next to him.
He'd had a fuss then told me enough was enough so I left him to it. Minute or two later he jumped on me, arched back, biting and chirruping.
No toys nearby.
He is very unsettled poor chap.

We'll absolutely not be using that toy when kitten is nearby. We have been taking it away when he gets too OTT with it so I'm glad that's the right thing to do.
Kitten has a duck on a string which he loves and he's just mastered running with it in his mouth but no funny walking or noises (yet)

Kitten has woken me up at about 5am both mornings, trying to suckle on me? He was weaned at about 5 and a half weeks the breeder says, and was a greedy guts with the breeder who ate everything.
I've been getting up and giving him a small bit of wet food (he ignores dry) when he does it as it seems to be the only way to stop and I'm presuming he's doing it because he's hungry (as well as maybe after some comfort) is that the right thing to do? I don't really want to be setting myself up for 5am alarm calls forever more :eek:

Shady, I can PM you the pedigree later this morning if you did fancy a look?