Funniest Riding School pony names...

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Razor.

He was a TB with really high withers and he was so narrow that it really was akin to sitting on a razorblade (but not as sharp.... ;) ).

Bunny.

He was for advanced riders only as he would do several mini-bucks in canter if he was excited. It was easy to sit to if you had good balance but he did look like he was trying to do a rabbit impression.

SuperCoblet

Visit site
My friends horse is called dangerous dave (aka Dave)
My aunties horse is called Nibbles! (aka Nibbz)
There are also;
Lucky
Pooh and piglet (two shetlands)
Barney the dinosaur (aka Barney)
Galaxy and Star
Gypsy
Sunny
Spring
I'll think if some more in a min (<< no that's not a name ;) )

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When I was at college in the 70s I went to a RS not far from Aylesbury, where I rode an enormous 17.2 hh (at least) CBx called......... Tiny!
He was 99% safe ride and 1% nightmare, every now and again, he would take it into his head to choose his own route on a hack, leave the rest of the ride and gallop off through the wood. He once deposited me in a blackberry bush after taking me under some very low branches at high speed.

HashRouge

Visit site
I remember a clear round jumping day at my local RS, where me and my friend ended up with a horrible little pony who's name, Midnight Dancer (or something along those lines!), gave the impression of a tall, sleek and elegant animal. Someone clearly had their rose tinted specs on when they named him because he was short, fat and hairy, and an absolute devil to ride! Along the way he'd been given the stable name of Bush (if you'd seen his mane, you'd understand why!), which suited him a lot better!!

blood_magik

Visit site
we have jimmy the Shetland - that always makes me laugh
some of the others:
pinky
brambles
gizzy
agatha
splash
candy
Armani
Peter
jerry
clover
sandman

had a couple of Arabs too
shaheen
aneese
shimghaan
shurook

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Brocoli! (Why? Just why?)
Dumper (Last owner sold because the horse liked to dump her ;))

And my personal favourite, a pair of ponies, same height and build, but one grey and one black.... Honky and N****r :D

Not sure how that would go down now :eek:

J&C

andraste

Visit site
The first riding school I went to was on a farm owned by an older couple but the instructors were their daughters - two sisters. Two of the horses had been theirs but had been donated to the RS as they got older. The year they got the horses the girls had wanted cars for their birthdays but had got horses instead so they named them Montego and Maestro. :D

Gosh that really ages me doesn't it? :(

lucyc

Visit site
thought of some more:
eric
bubble and squeek (although bubbles not there anymore)
Ned
Jango
Harry Potter aka Harry or Mr Potter (mini shetland)
Barney Rubble aka Barney or Mr rubble (after barney from the flintstones very mini shetland :p )
Waz - full name warrior
oooooo cant forget churchill :p

Wobblywibble

Visit site
We had Meathead
(who was later renamed to avoid mothers thinking the instructor meant their child when he yelled "come on Meathead")

Alice - ok you may think but not for a rufty tufty stallion
(owner was a bit touched by literature as he also had Jabberwocky, Boojum, Snark and Bandersnatch)

Gobbet
Ginchi
Choatawalla
Bugle
Goon

the list is endless, you gotta love the British Army

Visit site
We also had a Black Jack shortened to BJ and a JT (John Thomas!) :eek:

One that I remember is Gucci - a big warmblood with a designer name but not the best conformation, bless him! :)

FairyLights

Visit site
when I was learning to ride in the late 1960's the riding school had a little pony called
Frisky,which TBH was a bit off putting,there was also a piebald with one eye called Tiger and a large black hansome gelding whoes name was the N-word! 2 greys,one called Granite and the other Zircon. More recently a local riding school had 2 small ponies,one black and one white called Blackie and Snowy. I think there is a theme going on here.................

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
this was in the seventies, I was 5 - 9 when I rode at this school, and these were some of the names - Butterballs, Creamer, Winky, Pugwash and Wonker :eek:

I only really got it ten years later. Wonder if the parents ever sussed, cos mine didn't ;)

Kadastorm

Visit site
moon aka moonpig, aka piggles and most commonly known as pig.
(he squeals like a pig when he goes into canter)
misfit - she has really bad conformation so she is a misfit.
Topaz - his mum was called Pearl so we kept the whole gem thing going.
Lil B - short for little beauty but also bitch and bugger.
L.B - little foaly we had who was also a lil bugger.
Quinn
Crackerjack
LaLa
Scud

juliette

Visit site
A friends pony was hogged as he suffered from sweet itch but it was done very irregularly and he was dosed in purple spray very regularly so with his half grown mane he looked unusual and he was called........ Punky.

When I first learned to ride my brother and I rode Darky and Dusty who were surprisingly dark bay and grey!